The Rite: The making of a modern exorcist.

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The Rite: The making of a modern exorcist.

#1  Postby Animavore » Sep 24, 2010 6:13 pm

by Matt Baglio.

I was going to write about this book after I finished it, but there's a few things in it I wanted to get to so I'll write about things as they come up. I'm currently on the 5th chapter. Up to now it has followed a priest from America from his calling to the priesthood up to how he ended up in exorcist school wondering what it is all about. At the moment he's still sceptic. I'm waiting to see if that changes and how.

So before I even started reading this book I had a quick glance at the [url]reviews on Amazon[/url], or at least the headlines, I hate anyone influencing my opinion before I read something. Many of the people said that this book had renewed their faith or strengthened their belief.
I thought, we shall see.

The prologue opens up with a woman lying on a black massage table while men struggle to hold her. The exorcist oversees this with his crucifix in one hand and small canister of holy water in the other pondering whether to continue after an exhaustive hour.
He proceeds to try cast out the demon. The woman screams, “The black one is here, the jinx”, (surely she wasn't talking about me? :tehe: ), an indication she has been joined by Saint Gemma Galgani. “The little white one from Albania”, Mother Teresa.
The demon (inside the woman) mouths of blasphemies and then resumes a childlike voice, mocking them, “Oh look at them! They are hugging and greeting each other.” Then resumes to a low, guttural, “Disgusting! Disgusting!”.
The figures appear to the young woman as if in a dream. Saint Gemma and a young looking Mother Teresa. The exorcist turns to the wall in the direction of her gaze and sees nothing. “Let us thank Saint Gemma Galgani and Mother Teresa for being here with us”.
The demon screams out, “Nooo. Him too!.” Some thrashing commences, the woman is pulled up, arms in front of her, as if by an invisible force.
She growls, “Totus tus”. The exorcist recognises it's the Pope, John Paul II and thanks him. The demon screams at him to go away. The Holy Father, in his 30s, kisses the woman 3 times on the forehead.
The father asks her to repeat, “Eternal Father, you are my Creator and I adore you.”
More wailing from the demon who staunchly refuses. The Father implores her, repeating the phrase.
The woman felt immersed in love as the figure of Mary approached in a gold and white veil that half-covered her face.
The demon cried, “No” a few more times and the woman snaps out of the trance stating, “A tear from Mary is all it took.”
Recognising the virgin Mary is in the room, the priest launches into a Hail Mary and is joined by the others present.
He asks the woman again, to repeat, “Eternal Father, you are my Creator and I adore you.” The demon trashes about again, not wanting to let go.
He repeats the incantation a few more times and others join in.
The woman, sensing the torment of the demon, saw the saints enter the room. “The white one, the black one and the little white one.”
The exorcist, sensing the change in tone, goes for a final push and in the name of Jesus asks that she repeat the phrase.
The woman pushes the words out of her lips.
The Father gets her to repeat twice more and finishes with the Eucharistic prayer.
“This”, said the demon, “humiliation was given for the Glory of God not because you commanded it, but because God commanded it. You are damned,” addressing the exorcist.
Che Dio sia benedetto,” the father uttered.
“I go away but you are going to be damned for life,” said the demon, “You and your companions, you are going to be persecuted for life!”

[paraphrased summary with verbatim quotes]

Quite a portentous opening, one which I'm sure (hope) will be explained a little further on. And one which I'm not sure what to make of. There seems to be an element of trauma, hallucination, suggestion (by the exorcist) and interpretation.

There is a second encounter mentioned with an American priest who takes a confession from a woman who asks if he believes in demon possession. Unsure what to say he just says, "Yes." He continued to hear her confession and the woman grunted zitto (shut up). When he went to absolve her of her sins her face contorted such that she was unrecognisable. Her jaw became unhinged and dropped down, swinging from side to side 'til it was almost 9 inches open. The priest blessed her in the name of Jesus and it stopped. This was what brought this particular priest to Rome to become an exorcist. Not much is given as an explanation except that the priest sounded sincere.

So they're the juicy bits out of the way :grin:
Next up will be a bit of history on a tradition which comes, apparently, from Jesus himself and then a little on how to recognise Satan, should he come into your life.

Any comments on what has happened here?
I notice in the second one he mentions the woman's mouth unhinging and opening abnormally wide, but there's no mention of her being hospitalised with a dislocated jaw.
Any theories (besides, he just made it up :D )
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: The Rite: The making of a modern exorcist.

#2  Postby Animavore » Oct 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Here's a film which I think may be based on this book.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hG3ktopqv8[/youtube]
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Oct 25, 2010 12:39 pm

Just a few words on the acts and limitations of The Devil

Based on His Nature.
The devil cannot perform miracles, that would require “supernatural” abilities, only God can.
He can however create the appearance of miracles using “preternatural” powers beyond human.
He can't know secrets of the inner heart, but he can tell what we're thinking be examining us, like a psychologist.
He can't know the future, but he can predict what will happen based on his knowledge of human nature and his powers as a spirit, ie. He can see different events at once. Something beyond our scope giving him advantage.

Based on God's Will.
The devil cannot do anything unless God permits it.
If God does allow him to affect us it is for a greater good. Or to turn evil into good.

The devil is allowed act in to ways, ordinary and extraordinary.

The ordinary are our general temptations toward sin. Not all sins are caused by the Devil. Many are caused by our own freewill.

The supernatural come in four flavours.

Infestation.
This would be your general haunted house scenario. Unexplained noises, staind, objects moving..etc
We're all familiar I'm sure.

Oppression
Also known as “physical attack”. This can take form of scratches, sores, infirmaries or the feeling of a presence pushing one down a stairs or causing an accident.
This type of thing typically happens to saints, including Paul, whose “thron in the side” is often attributed to demons. The object is to make one feel isolated and driven to despair and ultimately turn your back on God.

Obsession.
Known also as “demonic temptation”. This is when a person can't get a thought out of their head. They may feel compelled to hurt people or profane the Eucharist, even suicidal. The point here is to drive on insane.

Possession.
The rarest kind of demonic activity. People in this mode usually have an extreme hate of the church and prayer. A devil can live in someone for years without them knowing. It usually comes about due to cult rituals like ouija boards or Tarot, even rock music.

:what: Yep. This is what they believe.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby quas » Oct 26, 2010 7:23 am

What kind of people are the demons interested in? Because, last I checked, something about being a Christian makes one a demon magnet.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Oct 26, 2010 7:47 am

Yes. Catholics seem to be the bigger demon magnets.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby quas » Nov 08, 2010 9:32 am

Have you finished the book? Update please.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Nov 08, 2010 10:29 am

Oh yeah. I'll update later. Have to get the book back from my friend. There was some negligent stuff I wanted to bring up. I think, after reading the book, it's a disgrace what they do, and a farce.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Animavore » Jan 29, 2011 11:10 am

I just saw the review for the fictionalised film of this book and it looks like it got slated http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_rite/

I completely forgot to come back to this. I still haven't got the book back off my friend. I haven't even seen him since St. Stephen's day.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby DoctorE » Jan 29, 2011 11:33 am

Some "The rite" stuff her + ultra madness
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RpsX3Oe8Ks[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Jan 29, 2011 11:45 am

FFS. Looking at it actually happening, it looks even less like demon possession.
Not sure what's going on here but there's nothing supernatural going on. I'm sure it's enough to put the shits up a believer, they get frightened by bad language, but I'm not moved.
And calling atheism a "leap of faith" at the end, :roll:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby lordshipmayhem » Jan 29, 2011 2:29 pm

Animavore wrote:Yes. Catholics seem to be the bigger demon magnets.

Would that mean that more FreeBSD programmers are Catholics?

FreeBSD mascot:

"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby nojesusknowpeace » Jan 30, 2011 2:01 am

Just saw the film.
Was expecting more "horror" but found that it was a very conservative and very overacted mess of a film.
Sir Anthony was howling at the moon (his style of acting over the last 15 years or so) and the rest of the cast was bland to the point of being almost non-existent.
Honestly...if you are interested in watching this film, wait until it appears on cable.
At somebody else's house.
All human behavior can be explained by two things: 1) No one can ever really change...and 2) Nobody ever really learns their "lesson."
nojesusknowpeace

Name: J Mixon

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby charlie1986 » Jan 30, 2011 12:46 pm

The movie looks cool - Nice storyline, special effects etc.. etc..

Although personally I think the people that feel that they're possessed should seek real medical and psychological help.

And those people that call themselves "Exorcists" should also seek medical and psychological help and afterwards dedicate their lives to the pursuit of reason and rationality.

EDIT - I havent seen the movie yet, Just saying it looks good from the trailer.
Last edited by charlie1986 on Jan 30, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be rational; be humble.
charlie1986

Name: Charl
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Jan 30, 2011 1:18 pm

That video was horrible. People in such a fucked up state need to be sent to a hospital, not a fucking church.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity