Why do teary atheists hate Catholics so much?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Why do teary atheists hate Catholics so much?

#1  Postby ymitchell » Apr 28, 2010 4:35 pm

"Recently, while watching the news, I wondered, “Why do teary atheists hate Catholics so much?” Then, I said a quiet prayer for their victims. If Charles Darwin were alive today, the militant atheist Richard Dawkins, no doubt, would attack him for being a 7-day creationist. Or cry. Why? Because Darwin’s words reveal he was more open to a deity – and because the new atheist likes to worship himself. In reality, the Catholic-bashing Dawkins is 100% attitude and no beard"
ymitchell
Banned User

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Why do teary atheists hate Catholics so much?

#2  Postby MoonLit » Apr 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Funny, I don't worship myself. That would be rather odd.
People bash Catholicism because it's batshit crazy.
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby mmmcheezy » Apr 28, 2010 4:40 pm

I hate Catholics because they support the rape of small children.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tetters » Apr 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Oh yes I'm all choked up. Ready to gush forth in tears of rage and frustration. Is this guy for real? I read pieces like this and I want barf, more then cry.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...
WOW! What a ride!" - Hunter S. Thompson
tetters
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Byron » Apr 28, 2010 4:46 pm

It's a fair question to ask why the Catholic Church is subject to selective focus, if that focus is disproportionate compared to other organizations which failed to stop rapes and assaults on children, from children's homes to youth groups.

Ben-Peter Terpstra also does a good job quoting an extremely dubious passage from The God Delusion:-

"Priestly abuse of children is nowadays taken to mean sexual abuse, and I feel obliged, at the outset, to get the whole matter of sexual abuse into proportion and out of the way. Others have noted that we live in a time of hysteria about pedophilia, a mob psychology that calls to mind the Salem witch-hunts of 1692… All three of the boarding schools I attended employed teachers whose affections for small boys overstepped the bounds of propriety. That was indeed reprehensible. Nevertheless, if, fifty years on, they had been hounded by vigilantes or lawyers as no better than child murderers, I should have felt obliged to come to their defense, even as the victim of one of them (an embarrassing but otherwise harmless experience).
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby ymitchell » Apr 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Byron wrote:It's a fair question to ask why the Catholic Church is subject to selective focus, if that focus is disproportionate compared to other organizations which failed to stop rapes and assaults on children, from children's homes to youth groups.

Because the Catholic Church goes to a lot of trouble to protect the perpetrators and silence the victims. What other equivilent organizations are you refering to. Why does a good secular liberal give a damn?
ymitchell
Banned User

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby dalv8409 » Apr 28, 2010 4:56 pm

mmmcheezy wrote:I hate Catholics because they support the rape of small children.

Plus being responsible for the number HIV/AIDS infections and deaths along with the Earth being overpopulated thanks to their retarded views on contraceptives. I feel sorry for Catholics who do use contraceptives cause they don't have the guts to stand up to the Vatican for that.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#8  Postby cursuswalker » Apr 28, 2010 4:57 pm

Same reason I'd hate the wife of a paedophile who knew and protected him from being caught.
Image http://www.caerabred.org/

Space Corps Directive 723. 'Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon.'
cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Byron » Apr 28, 2010 4:58 pm

ymitchell wrote:
Because the Catholic Church goes to a lot of trouble to protect the perpetrators and silence the victims. What other equivilent organizations are you refering to.

One of many sad examples.
Why does a good secular liberal give a damn?

I simply care about fairness. "Secular" means I support the legal separation of church and state. It doesn't mean I hate religion.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Paul G » Apr 28, 2010 5:00 pm

We all hate God rah rah rah. Who is to say we don't care about rapes in children's groups?
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Orange Proximity » Apr 28, 2010 5:00 pm

I don't hate the Catholics... I hate the Catholic Church...

If a Catholic says that he is the Catholic Church, then... according to the signature of St. Orange Proximity, I probably don't like them.
If I do not like you. I probably hate you.
Orange Proximity

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby james1v » Apr 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Here we go again, the poops rottweilers spreading silly crap.

Message to poop...

You wont get away with trying to rile "catholics" so they come to your defense by saying everyone is accusing them of being pedos...Its your church, not the congregation, that is being attacked and rightly so. As for your congregation, they understand this and they are leaving in droves, this is how it should be, considering your churches behaviour.

Nice try! :thumbdown:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby ymitchell » Apr 28, 2010 5:04 pm

Byron wrote:One of many sad examples.

Where did the designated authority act to move the perpetrators to other care homes and fail to inform those as to the type of people they were moving into positions of authority over the most vulnerable of people.
ymitchell
Banned User

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Byron » Apr 28, 2010 5:05 pm

Paul G wrote:We all hate God rah rah rah.

Never said you did; said I didn't. If a hat doesn't fit, don't choose to wear it. :)
Who is to say we don't care about rapes in children's groups?

Again, no one, certainly not me. I said if the Catholic Church was given undue focus, the article has a point.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Byron » Apr 28, 2010 5:08 pm

ymitchell wrote:
Where did the designated authority act to move the perpetrators to other care homes and fail to inform those as to the type of people they were moving into positions of authority over the most vulnerable of people.

I don't know if this tactic was or wasn't used in care homes. Is it worse than keeping a report on abuse secret? I don't see how. Both are cover-ups, and allow abusers to escape justice.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#16  Postby juːtoʊpiə » Apr 28, 2010 5:10 pm

Byron wrote:It's a fair question to ask why the Catholic Church is subject to selective focus, if that focus is disproportionate compared to other organizations which failed to stop rapes and assaults on children, from children's homes to youth groups.

I can't think of any other churches that have over one billion adherents :think:
Religion has no place within schools just like facts have no place within religion- Superintendent Chalmers
Homophobia is gay :lay:
juːtoʊpiə

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Matt_B » Apr 28, 2010 5:15 pm

I don't hate Catholics. I've just got what I'd consider to be a perfectly reasonable dislike for child abusers, misogynists, homophobes, and pseudoscientific crap pedlars, some of which just happen to be Catholics.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#18  Postby wunksta » Apr 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Byron wrote:
I don't know if this tactic was or wasn't used in care homes. Is it worse than keeping a report on abuse secret? I don't see how. Both are cover-ups, and allow abusers to escape justice.

but one is an entirely independent entity not subject to any specific nations laws. if the catholic church new that its sub churches and bishops were doing this, then yes they SHOULD be held accountable. this would be the same with any organization.
The night is dark and full of terrors...
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Robert_S » Apr 28, 2010 5:44 pm

I do not know any atheists that I would describe as "teary" except when we are under the influence of this stuff.

I actually like most of the Catholics I know and I do not know any atheists online on IRL that hate ordinary Catholics.

I do not much care for their beliefs or the Catholic Church itself though for obvious reasons that do not need to be restated in this post.
Robert_S

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby Mojzu » Apr 28, 2010 6:10 pm

No. Actually many former and current communists need to distract us from their pasts, for good reason. Why? Because communism and atheism are responsible for 100 million-plus deaths

Darn, he found out our secret communist plot!
"You're offended? So fucking what!" - Stephen Fry
Mojzu

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity