Wikileaks publishes "secret" Jehobas Witnesses Manual

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Wikileaks publishes "secret" Jehobas Witnesses Manual

#1  Postby NineBerry » Sep 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Suppressed Jehovah's Witnesses Elders' manual "Pay Attention to Yourselves and All the Flock" (1991). While a number of unauthorized excerpts of the document have appeared over the years, including purported HTML versions of most of the book minus illustrations, an authoritative full original scan has hitherto remained out of public view, preventing reliable third party analysis and reportage.

[...]

In a bold move aimed at suppressing dissident Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Watchtower Society’s New York headquarters has filed charges with the police against ex-members Kent Steinhaug and Jan Haugland of Norway. Steinhaug reported for questioning this morning (March 4, 1997) to the police station in Skein, his home town.

Both men are accused of violating copyright laws by posting copies of a secret elder’s manual on the Internet. The manual "Pay Attention to Yourselves and to All the Flock" tells local elders how to conduct closed-door trials and other actions controlling the personal lives of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Among the rules enforced through the manual are forced shunning of family members who leave the sect and the requirement that Witnesses refuse blood transfusions regardless of the consequences in loss of life.

The charges filed against Steinhaug and Haugland allege that they have made the secret manual available to rank-and-file members and to the general public, in violation of a copyright held by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. Only Witness elders are allowed to read the book, and an elder must surrender his personal copy if he loses his position in the organization.

[...]

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_W ... %281991%29

Download the book: http://file.wikileaks.org/file/pay-atte ... k-1991.pdf

Analysis of the manual: http://www.watchman.org/jw/1404-1.htm
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Re: Wikileaks publishes "secret" Jehobas Witnesses Manual

#2  Postby Dr. Kwaltz » Sep 01, 2010 8:26 pm

NineBerry wrote:

Analysis of the manual: http://www.watchman.org/jw/1404-1.htm

What a sick sick sick cult!
Coworker on food:
We have 4 basic food groups: alcohol, fat, chocolate and caffeine... Get them all in a Mudslide!
Me:
I'm a tea lover - Long Island Ice Tea to be specific.
Dr. Kwaltz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Aca » Sep 01, 2010 8:32 pm

great find :)

reposted elsewhere
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#4  Postby james1v » Sep 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Control freaks. :think:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby NineBerry » Sep 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Okay, I just noticed, this is no current news. The document was leaked more than two years ago. Sorry.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Tyrannical » Sep 03, 2010 4:28 am

They'll cover the holidays for you, so they are good to have around.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby stijndeloose » Sep 07, 2010 1:58 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the link! :cheers:
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#8  Postby trubble76 » Sep 07, 2010 2:15 pm

To be honest, compared to the operating manuals of most of the common religions, it seems relatively fair.

:dunno:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby astrowhiz » Sep 07, 2010 2:58 pm

I remember reading my dads copy and him snatching it out of my hand saying don't read that. I knew all the stuff in it anyway, the book doesn't have anything particularly interesting in it. Trubble76 is right in that it's no stranger than most religions handbooks. The difference with JW's is that most religions don't strictly live by all their various rules and regulations, with JW's everything is by the book. Elders are constantly out on calls; so called 'shepherding' visits. It's euphemism for telling people off. Everything from what shirt colour should be worn when giving a talk, if a ladies dress is too low cut, are sisters wearing too much jewellery, telling people not to watch soap operas etc etc etc etc.
The watchtower society must at least be aware that this book and others make them seem incredibly controlling and a bit weird. I think they only keep it secret because elders are very fond of the counselling aspect but not too keen on the helping others, like the elderly, infirm, poor, mentioned in the book. Elders prefer shepherding visits to be a one way conversation without a backlash about their own shortcomings in the role they're supposed to fulfill.
Karl Pilkington's guide to evolution: bacteria, fish, mermaid, man, onwards and what have you
astrowhiz

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby stijndeloose » Sep 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Oh, yes... I remember a time when I wasn't supposed to watch Tom & Jerry because it 'incited violence'. :rolleyes:
stijndeloose
Banned User

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11  Postby astrowhiz » Sep 07, 2010 4:47 pm

stijndeloose wrote:Oh, yes... I remember a time when I wasn't supposed to watch Tom & Jerry because it 'incited violence'. :rolleyes:

Haha, yeah. It was the same with lots of cartoons - He-Man, Thundercats etc. The strangest was the Smurfs debacle where they were kinda unofficially banned cos of anecdotes of smurf dolls being demon possessed and coming to life, or saying swear words. I always think that JW's are in a lot of ways a Satanist organisation. Probably more than 50% of the articles from the WBTS are focused on the devil and his feindish ways. It wasn't the love of god that kept me in the JW's, a godly concern for people always seemed lacking, but more a fear of satan.
Karl Pilkington's guide to evolution: bacteria, fish, mermaid, man, onwards and what have you
astrowhiz

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby stijndeloose » Sep 07, 2010 5:18 pm

astrowhiz wrote:
stijndeloose wrote:Oh, yes... I remember a time when I wasn't supposed to watch Tom & Jerry because it 'incited violence'. :rolleyes:

Haha, yeah. It was the same with lots of cartoons - He-Man, Thundercats etc. The strangest was the Smurfs debacle where they were kinda unofficially banned cos of anecdotes of smurf dolls being demon possessed and coming to life, or saying swear words. I always think that JW's are in a lot of ways a Satanist organisation. Probably more than 50% of the articles from the WBTS are focused on the devil and his feindish ways. It wasn't the love of god that kept me in the JW's, a godly concern for people always seemed lacking, but more a fear of satan.

:this:

I remember the Smurfs story, too. Ridiculous. :crazy:

My dad threw a bunch of LPs away when he became a JW, too. Black Sabbath (obviously), Floyd, some Tangerine Dream LPs, some YES albums, Led Zep... meh. Threw away his copy of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy as well.

My leaving was hilarious, actually. I had to hide books that I got from the library because they were 'against' JW teachings. One of the books I got (Franz's "Crisis of Conscience") had to be tucked away particularly carefully. Apostate literatury = :nono: . :mrgreen:

EDIT: Actually, it's their 'secrecy' and the taboo around non-JW (and ex-JW) literature that got me thinking "What do they have to hide?" and played a big role in my decision to leave. Not the effect they were hoping for, I suppose. :grin:
stijndeloose
Banned User

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13  Postby astrowhiz » Sep 07, 2010 7:59 pm

stijndeloose wrote:
astrowhiz wrote:

:this:

I remember the Smurfs story, too. Ridiculous. :crazy:

My dad threw a bunch of LPs away when he became a JW, too. Black Sabbath (obviously), Floyd, some Tangerine Dream LPs, some YES albums, Led Zep... meh. Threw away his copy of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy as well.

My leaving was hilarious, actually. I had to hide books that I got from the library because they were 'against' JW teachings. One of the books I got (Franz's "Crisis of Conscience") had to be tucked away particularly carefully. Apostate literatury = :nono: . :mrgreen:

EDIT: Actually, it's their 'secrecy' and the taboo around non-JW (and ex-JW) literature that got me thinking "What do they have to hide?" and played a big role in my decision to leave. Not the effect they were hoping for, I suppose. :grin:

Oh man that sounds so familiar. I bought Crisis of Conscience too and hid it in the loft. My dad found it and decided to look through other books of mine (most of which were fairly innocuous but I had some Dawkins, Steven J Gould etc) and he decided that my belongings were bringing demons into the house. He built a large bonfire of everything I owned; books, DVD's, computer games, software, and burnt them all :shock:
I was still a JW at this point but had started to ask myself why there was a taboo around certain subjects like evolution and JW history. The bonfire incident finally gave me the wake up call I probably needed to get out.
astrowhiz

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby chairman bill » Sep 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Burning books? Godwin's Law in 3, 2 ...

Seriously, I can't begin to understand the madness* that generates such behaviour

* I use the term advisedly, being a psychologist working in a university department of mental health
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Millefleur » Sep 07, 2010 8:13 pm

With such a volume of printed matter one could almost say the primary ingredient in the "spiritual food" of Jehovah's Witnesses is wood pulp.
:lol:
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby stijndeloose » Sep 07, 2010 9:07 pm

astrowhiz wrote:Oh man that sounds so familiar. I bought Crisis of Conscience too and hid it in the loft. My dad found it and decided to look through other books of mine (most of which were fairly innocuous but I had some Dawkins, Steven J Gould etc) and he decided that my belongings were bringing demons into the house. He built a large bonfire of everything I owned; books, DVD's, computer games, software, and burnt them all :shock:
I was still a JW at this point but had started to ask myself why there was a taboo around certain subjects like evolution and JW history. The bonfire incident finally gave me the wake up call I probably needed to get out.

I got most of my books from the library, and they mostly stayed in my rucksack, so he never found them. :dance: He found a couple of e-mails he shouldn't have found, but they didn't cause as much of a stirr as they could have.

What DID cause a stirr, though, was my answering my sister's question "why I was leaving God's earthly organization". It ended with a "Leave your sister alone" from my dad. :rolleyes:
stijndeloose
Banned User

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#17  Postby stijndeloose » Sep 07, 2010 9:10 pm

chairman bill wrote:Burning books? Godwin's Law in 3, 2 ...

Seriously, I can't begin to understand the madness* that generates such behaviour

* I use the term advisedly, being a psychologist working in a university department of mental health

It's madness alright. I really don't understand how/why people convert to JWs, tbh. I HAVE noticed, though, that people who are going through some trouble are more easily tempted...
stijndeloose
Banned User

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity