Wisconsin: Pope Sexual Abuse Scandal Cover-Up

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Wisconsin: Pope Sexual Abuse Scandal Cover-Up

#1  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 25, 2010 10:46 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/2 ... 12483.html

Pope Sexual Abuse Scandal: Benedict Implicated In Cover-Up Of Wisconsin Abuse Case

As a cardinal, Pope Benedict XVI and other Vatican officials did not punish or even hold a trial within the Catholic church for a Wisconsin priest who may have molested as many as 200 deaf boys, according to The New York Times.

The Times reports that despite warnings from "several" bishops to then-Cardinal Ratzinger about Father Lawrence Murphy, a priest at the St. John's School For The Deaf in St. Francis, WI, the Vatican chose not to act and ultimately allowed Murphy to go unpunished before his death in 1998. The Times reports:

In 1996, Cardinal Ratzinger failed to respond to two letters about the case from Rembert G. Weakland, Milwaukee's archbishop at the time. After eight months, the second in command at the doctrinal office, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, now the Vatican's secretary of state, instructed the Wisconsin bishops to begin a secret canonical trial that could lead to Father Murphy's dismissal.

But Cardinal Bertone halted the process after Father Murphy personally wrote to Cardinal Ratzinger protesting that he should not be put on trial because he had already repented and was in poor health and that the case was beyond the church's own statute of limitations.

"I simply want to live out the time that I have left in the dignity of my priesthood," Father Murphy wrote near the end of his life to Cardinal Ratzinger. "I ask your kind assistance in this matter." The files contain no response from Cardinal Ratzinger.

CONTINUED
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Wisconsin: Pope Sexual Abuse Scandal Cover-Up

#2  Postby Animavore » Mar 25, 2010 10:53 am

I clicked on continued and nothing happened :(

Seriously though. Is anyone surprised any more?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 25, 2010 10:57 am

Animavore wrote:I clicked on continued and nothing happened :(

Click on the link at the top.

Seriously though. Is anyone surprised any more?
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Mar 25, 2010 10:58 am

:lol:

I knew that.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby vsop44 » Mar 25, 2010 11:10 am

Another day , another pedophile scandal in the catholic church , what a sorry lot ! :nono:
As long as it gave itself clear moral rules, a society of atheists could function just as well as any other ; Its citizens just as trustworthy, charitable, passionate for justice and loyal to their friends as any other .
Pierre Bayle 1647 - 1706
vsop44

Name: Cognac
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Pope Ratzi at it again!

#6  Postby heyjude » Mar 25, 2010 11:38 am

Pope did not defrock a priest who molested as many as 200 deaf boys.

The internal correspondence from bishops in Wisconsin directly to Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the future pope, shows that while church officials tussled over whether the priest should be dismissed, their highest priority was protecting the church from scandal.
Last edited by heyjude on Mar 25, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think therefore I am atheist
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby DoctorE » Mar 25, 2010 12:49 pm

As soon as the pope leaves the Vatican/Italy he must be arrested; Good chance when he visits UK
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yir9uLFOgQ[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Pope Ratz at it again!

#8  Postby Macdoc » Mar 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Take not ratz name in vain ;)

proud ratz member... :mrgreen:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Pope Ratz at it again!

#9  Postby heyjude » Mar 25, 2010 1:28 pm

Macdoc wrote:Take not ratz name in vain ;)

proud ratz member... :mrgreen:

DOH! oh boy.... duly noted and changed :naughty2:
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Pope Ratzi at it again!

#10  Postby DoctorE » Mar 25, 2010 1:29 pm

DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#11  Postby heyjude » Mar 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Oops.. sorry... I searched in news not woo. My bad!
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby CarlPierce » Mar 25, 2010 1:43 pm

Church turns a deaf ear to suffering erm is the pope a catholic ?

I actually have sympathy with the catholics line on 'repenting' and 'forgiveness', provided the abuser doesn't do it again. Sadly it is very probable they will if they have opportunity.

Seems the priest in question wrote to the Ratz and asked to be forgiven, I wouldn't condemn Ratz simply for being compassionate. But said priest was allowed to keeping working with children.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby DoctorE » Mar 25, 2010 1:47 pm

What do you mean by not condemning the rat... The rat could just as well had raped the children himself by allowing this to continue.
And don't forget the rat was a key figure in ALL the cover ups.
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Paul G » Mar 25, 2010 1:49 pm

CarlPierce wrote:Church turns a deaf ear to suffering erm is the pope a catholic ?

I actually have sympathy with the catholics line on 'repenting' and 'forgiveness', provided the abuser doesn't do it again. Sadly it is very probable they will if they have opportunity.

Seems the priest in question wrote to the Ratz and asked to be forgiven, I wouldn't condemn Ratz simply for being compassionate. But said priest was allowed to keeping working with children.

What would you do if someone wrote asking for forgiveness? Forgive or turn them in?
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#15  Postby heyjude » Mar 25, 2010 1:52 pm

CarlPierce wrote:Church turns a deaf ear to suffering erm is the pope a catholic ?

He wasn't being compassionate - he was covering the church's arse! Are you saying you believe these criminals should be above the law?... us regular folk rape a child and get prosecuted... but if you have the church behind you then you can ask for forgiveness and you're good to go. I'm struggling with the logic there.

Actually, that kind of thing will have all the regular pedophiles racing to join the priesthood... this could be the thing they need! :naughty2:
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16  Postby byofrcs » Mar 25, 2010 2:24 pm

You could almost imagine that this is being engineered. The current (rather ancient) Pope ends up being a scapegoat, dies or retires and then a new and bright-young thing style of Pope sweeps in and then everyone is happy.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby natselrox » Mar 25, 2010 2:31 pm

When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Dracena » Mar 25, 2010 2:46 pm

:coffee:
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby natselrox » Mar 25, 2010 2:56 pm

thank's for nothin
To prayin folks

:lol:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Roger Cooke » Mar 25, 2010 5:31 pm

If there's anyone on this board still defending the Pope and claiming there is no evidence against him, I sincerely hope they'll show up on this thread and explain three things:

1) What did the Pope do to help the victims of this monster?

2) Why were they so terribly concerned to show Christian charity to this man and allow him to continue as a priest, just because he was old and ill? Since when is the right to celebrate mass as a priest inalienable? If he had spoken out against any Church dogma, he'd have been defrocked quickly enough.

3) How many more cases do we have to see where the sole obsession of Benedict and his confreres was to protect the clergy and keep things quiet, before we conclude that they really are only trying to appear concerned about the victims now (and not doing a very good job of it, even now) because they've got a major public-relations problem on their hands?

The victims say they are tired of words and want action. The simpletons!! Do they think any power on earth is going to force the Vatican to release the documents it has in this case? You might as well expect Nixon to reveal what was on the missing 18 1/2 minutes of tape.
Last edited by Roger Cooke on Mar 25, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary" -- Mark Twain
Roger Cooke

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity