WL Craig: The Kalam Cosmological Argument

Craig's arguments for God, Pt 2

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: WL Craig: The Kalam Cosmological Argument

#241  Postby Shrunk » Aug 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Lion IRC wrote:I'm always intrigued by the mind which can quite comfortably speculate about an "eternal, all powerful, uncaused" thing called a universe but which struggles with the idea of God.

I find the no-god hypothesis cosmologies very demanding upon my "just have faith" quotient.

It's not a question of being comfortable with the idea of an eternal uncaused universe (I'm not sure how you bring "all-powerful:" into it). It's more a matter of being comfortable with the fact that the ultimate origin of the unverse remains, for the time being, something that is not known or understood, and therefore not feeling compelled to fabricate answers like "God did it" that aren't really answers at all.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#242  Postby mark1961 » Aug 30, 2011 3:51 pm

ughaibu wrote:
mark1961 wrote:We both agree it's most common use is to imply the divine existing outside the Universe?
I'm a Brit and I live in Japan, so I have hardly ever encountered anybody attempting to imply anything about "the divine", and I'm pretty sure that Teuton wasn't using the term for any reason other than accuracy.

Regarding the common usage of the phrase "spatio-temporal universe":

"Google and ye shall find". It works in Japan too or so I'm told. I wonder what the Japanese translation of that phrase is? :scratch:

Regarding Teuton:

Please don't bring T. into the argument. It takes me hours sometimes to understand what he writes. Not that I find doing so makes the effort required an unprofitable enterprise. Usually. Doesn't matter what it exactly means as he uses it anyway. For my purposes in this enterprise. I just hate it for the way it's usually used.
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#243  Postby Teuton » Aug 30, 2011 6:00 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Teuton wrote:
hackenslash wrote:
What is this 'spatio-temporal universe' bollocks you keep banging on about? Could you define it for us please?

It's the (at least) four-dimensional natural/physical world.

Then you can drop the 'spatio-temporal', because it's unnecessary and merely obfuscating, as navel-gazers and wibblers are wont to do.

You don't get the point! If there are extraspatiotemporal spiritual or abstract things, then the spatiotemporal universe is only a (proper) part of the universe simpliciter.
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#244  Postby mark1961 » Aug 30, 2011 6:26 pm

Simpliciter?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/simpliciter

:scratch: still no wiser. The word is just a synonym of "simple". Or I could be mistaken. Need to think.........

It could mean the "universe simpliciter" as in all things and I mean all things. Like all Universe"s" past, present future, off on some weird imaginary time tangent or whatever. Absolutely everything even in places you wouldn't or couldn't for that matter imagine or produce an equation for. Is that what you mean?

Remember the "mirror universe" episode on Star Trek? Wouldn't wanna go there. Especially since as explained in the Star Trek-The Next Generation paperback novel entitled "Dark Mirror" by Diane Duane it had an alternate version of Deanna Troi in it. Oh she was a BAD girl. I remember reading it in anticipation and guessing what would happen when she made an appearance.....grisly things. All in the mind...

:door:
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#245  Postby mizvekov » Aug 30, 2011 6:29 pm

simpliciter in this sense would mean "without qualifications"
As in "spatio-temporal universe", "spatio-temporal" would be a qualification.
mizvekov

Male

Brazil (br)
Print view this post

#246  Postby hackenslash » Aug 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Teuton wrote:You don't get the point! If there are extraspatiotemporal spiritual or abstract things, then the spatiotemporal universe is only a (proper) part of the universe simpliciter.

I get the point entirely. If there are woos that you can wibble about, you can obfuscate to your heart's content. You know what you can do with that, at least until you can demonstrate that 'extraspatiotemporal' has any basis in anything other than umbilical lint. We might just as well discuss the bloody jabberwocky, which is at least entertaining.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#247  Postby Teuton » Aug 30, 2011 6:39 pm

mark1961 wrote:Simpliciter?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/simpliciter

:scratch: still no wiser. The word is just a synonym of "simple". Or I could be mistaken. Need to think.........

"simpliciter <philosophical terminology> Latin for 'simply' or naturally' (in contrast with secundum quid). Hence, what anything is when considered absolutely or without qualification."

(http://www.swif.uniba.it/lei/foldop/fol ... impliciter)
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#248  Postby mark1961 » Aug 30, 2011 6:46 pm

mizvekov wrote:simpliciter in this sense would mean "without qualifications"
As in "spatio-temporal universe", "spatio-temporal" would be a qualification.

Good then I got it. Thanks to you both for the confirmation. :thumbup:
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#249  Postby Teuton » Aug 30, 2011 6:47 pm

hackenslash wrote:
I get the point entirely. If there are woos that you can wibble about, you can obfuscate to your heart's content. You know what you can do with that, at least until you can demonstrate that 'extraspatiotemporal' has any basis in anything other than umbilical lint. We might just as well discuss the bloody jabberwocky, which is at least entertaining.

Do you think it's a conceptually or metaphysically necessary truth that all existence is spatiotemporal existence?
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#250  Postby mark1961 » Aug 30, 2011 7:05 pm

"Secundum quid". Well that's me off on a Wikipedia expedition for an hour or few.....
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#251  Postby hackenslash » Aug 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Teuton wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

Do you think it's a conceptually or metaphysically necessary truth that all existence is spatiotemporal existence?

I don't think anything is metaphysically necessary, because I don't think that metaphysics has any utility. I certainly don't think there's any justification for positing anything outside of time, or even that outside of time is remotely coherent. As for space, well, our understanding of the dimensional manifold is insufficient to erect any assertions, but there is at least the very strong suggestion that the minimum extent any dimension can have is Planck length, which would certainly suggest that all of existence is spatio-temporal, but the simple fact is that we don't know, and no amount of wibbling about it will get us any nearer to the truth, if there even is such a thing as truth in this regard.

Ultimately it's all bollocks, and you know that this is my position, so why even bother asking the question. It isn't like I'm suddenly going to see any value in mistaking having one's head up one's anus for thought any time soon, is it?
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#252  Postby Oldskeptic » Aug 31, 2011 12:24 am

Mick wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:Craig's/the Kalam argument is about the creation/beginning of the existence of everything.

everything that began to exist, sure.

If the 1st law of thermodynamics holds nothing ever began to exist, as in whatever energy/matter anything is composed of has always existed.

This argument takes an intuitive approach to things like you and me and extends it to everything that exists.

Again, it limits itself to what begins to exist.

Nothing has ever began to exist in the sense that Craig uses the phrase. Craig/the Kalama argument are talking about the creation of matter and energy, not forms of matter and energy like you and I.

Mine and your beginning of existence does not violate the 1st law of thermodynamics because there is no claim that the matter and or energy that we are made of did not exist before the initiation of our existence.

Right, but you said that it has not been shown that anything at all began to exist, and this would therefore include me and you. If you meant to say that it hasnt been shown that energy and matter began to exist, then you need to state that.

I did. When exactly do you think that you began to exist? Was it when your father's sperm cell hit your mothers ovum. Or when enough cells had divided to produce a brain? Or did you begin to exist at birth? Maybe you began to exist where your first memory is?

This began to exist is just a fucked up notion that is confusing types of things with everything. Craig and the Kalam argument are not talking about types of things. They are talking about everything. Everything from absolutely nothing. This is what violates the 1st law of thermodynamics.

As I understand it, these natural laws of yours came into being just 'after' the BB, but even if they didn't, so what? It merely point to something supernatural.

They are not my natural laws. I did not make them up. They just are, and if you want to disprove the 1st law of thermodynamics knock yourself out.

The Kalam argument does claim a beginning of all matter and or energy, and for the argument to hold up Craig, as the major proponent of the argument needs to be able to show how this is possible given the 1st law of thermodynamics.

i agree.

Then what the fuck are you arguing about?
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#253  Postby Mick » Aug 31, 2011 2:30 am

Oldskeptic wrote:If the 1st law of thermodynamics holds nothing ever began to exist, as in whatever energy/matter anything is composed of has always existed.
Quit using the word 'nothing'. That law says no such thing. It talks about energy; it says energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It says nothing about whether new things composed of energy and matter can come to exist-that's a philosophical statement.

Nothing has ever began to exist in the sense that Craig uses the phrase. Craig/the Kalama argument are talking about the creation of matter and energy, not forms of matter and energy like you and I.
Again, you stated that it cannot be demonstrated that anything began to exist---a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.

I did. When exactly do you think that you began to exist?[Was it when your father's sperm cell hit your mothers ovum. Or when enough cells had divided to produce a brain? Or did you begin to exist at birth? Maybe you began to exist where your first memory is?
Irrelevant. What matters is that I did begin to exist.

This began to exist is just a fucked up notion that is confusing types of things with everything. Craig and the Kalam argument are not talking about types of things. They are talking about everything. Everything from absolutely nothing. This is what violates the 1st law of thermodynamics.

I dont think it does. These laws, even the laws of gravity itself, came into being following the BB or perhaps at the same instance, according to the model Craig is working with.

They are not my natural laws. I did not make them up. They just are, and if you want to disprove the 1st law of thermodynamics knock yourself out.
Noting that something supernatural could -or even did- 'break' a a natural law isnt a disproof of that law. It's a natural law.

Your rather silly statements. :)
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#254  Postby Mick » Aug 31, 2011 2:30 am

Oldskeptic wrote:If the 1st law of thermodynamics holds nothing ever began to exist, as in whatever energy/matter anything is composed of has always existed.
Quit using the word 'nothing'. That law says no such thing. It talks about energy; it says energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It says nothing about whether new things composed of energy and matter can come to exist-that's a philosophical statement.

Again, you stated that it has not been demonstrated that anything began to exist---a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.

I did. When exactly do you think that you began to exist?[Was it when your father's sperm cell hit your mothers ovum. Or when enough cells had divided to produce a brain? Or did you begin to exist at birth? Maybe you began to exist where your first memory is?

I dont think it does. These laws, even the laws of gravity itself, came into being following the BB or perhaps at the same instance, according to the model Craig is working with.

Noting that something supernatural could -or even did- 'break' a a natural law isnt a disproof of that law. It's a natural law.

Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#255  Postby Teuton » Aug 31, 2011 3:38 am

Oldskeptic wrote:This began to exist is just a fucked up notion that is confusing types of things with everything. Craig and the Kalam argument are not talking about types of things. They are talking about everything. Everything from absolutely nothing. This is what violates the 1st law of thermodynamics.

If God exists, he created both matter and its laws.
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#256  Postby josephchoi » Aug 31, 2011 4:19 am

Mick wrote:

Sorry, Mick. At best this "creatio ex materia" is a conversion, not a creation, forming different arrangements that pop up within a set. Does "Explom", a particular form in a set of synchronized swimming begin to exist?

Again, you stated that it has not been demonstrated that anything began to exist---a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.

and what are you A label assigned to a form. When did you begin to exist? When the sperm met the egg? when your mother's egg formed? when the father's sperm was produced? Without this how can it be that it is a "beginning" than a "conversion"?

Of course neither you nor craig can substantiate this claim.

The irony of you calling the arguments you are objecting to "silly" is astounding.
Donuts don't wear alligator shoes!
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#257  Postby Oldskeptic » Aug 31, 2011 5:07 am

Teuton wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:This began to exist is just a fucked up notion that is confusing types of things with everything. Craig and the Kalam argument are not talking about types of things. They are talking about everything. Everything from absolutely nothing. This is what violates the 1st law of thermodynamics.

Circular arguments tend to go around in circles.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#258  Postby hackenslash » Aug 31, 2011 6:42 am

Teuton wrote:

Which is precisely the point. God doesn't exist. That doesn't preclude the existence of some other deity other than Yahweh, but that one's dead in the water.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#259  Postby hackenslash » Aug 31, 2011 6:45 am

Mick wrote:These laws, even the laws of gravity itself, came into being following the BB or perhaps at the same instance, according to the model Craig is working with.

Kraig isn't working with a model, he's working with a rectally extracted blind assertion, and one that is not supported by cosmologists.

Oh, and how many laws of gravity are there? :think:
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#260  Postby Oldskeptic » Aug 31, 2011 9:33 pm

Mick wrote:

It follows from the first law of thermodynamics that if matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed only change forms then nothing has ever been created. Everything has always existed only in different forms.

When Craig talks about the beginning of the "universe" he is talking about the beginning of everything from an absolute nothing caused by a formless/immaterial being that does not exist in space and is not affected by time. If it was in fact possible for this to happen it would apparently be a one off occurrence where the 1st law of thermodynamics did not apply, but now it does.

It is far simpler to accept the 1st law of thermodynamics and the premise that everything has always existed than to posit that there was a point in time where absolutely nothing existed and a formless/immaterial being that does not exist in space and is not affected by time created everything has exists out of absolutely nothing.

I am fully aware that some people claim that God can do anything, so this is not a problem, but Craig's Kalam argument is supposed to be an argument for the existence of his creator god. Presupposing the existence of this god to support the argument is a logical no-no.

Mick wrote:

Oldskeptic wrote:

Mick wrote:

When? Pinpoint the beginning of your existence if you can.

Oldskeptic wrote:

Mick wrote:

Craig is working with his own God model that was constructed to support his argument. Perhaps he should consult cosmologists and find out if his assumptions are in any way valid?

Oldskeptic wrote:

Mick wrote:

Oldskeptic wrote:

Mick wrote:

OK, we need to go back to the beginning and note that the argument is about proving the existence of this "something supernatural" and neither you or Craig gets to make claims of what this "something supernatural" can do until you provide good fucking evidence that it does exist.

Premise 1 is wrong because it treats the "universe" like unicycle.

Premise 2 is wrong because it is flat fucking wrong to say that the universe began to exist.

Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity