Libyan proposed currency change caused war?

Discussions on 9/11, moon landing etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Libyan proposed currency change caused war?

#1  Postby Teague » Sep 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Apparently Saddam was going to switch to the rupee. I was talking to a friend about this yesterday who toldme this so I searched google however I'm not convinced my sources are reliable. Anyone know anything about this?

Under the guise of “protecting civilians,” the United States led NATO into Libya and is attempting to assassinate the Libyan leader. Of course, Libya happens to be the largest oil producer in Africa, but many do not realize that Gaddafi was planning to introduce the gold dinar, a single African currency that would serve as an alternative to the U.S. dollar and allow African nations to share the wealth. It is surely no coincidence that Iraq’s prior leader, Saddam Hussein, was trying to do the same thing just prior to U.S. invasion for all of those “weapons of mass destruction.”

Simply put, if oil-rich nations begin trading in something other than dollars it will significantly reduce demand for dollars and threaten the dollar’s role as world reserve currency. Many experts belief this would lead to the quick death of the fiat greenback, which is now backed by nothing but faith in a government that is running an annual budget deficit of over $1.5 TRILLION.

http://www.goldstockbull.com/articles/l ... old-dinar/

Sarko had a bag full of motives to exact revenge on The Big G.

French banks had told him that Gaddafi was about to transfer his billions of euros to Chinese banks. Thus Gaddafi could not by any means become an example to other Arab nations or sovereign funds.

French corporations told Sarko that Gaddafi had decided not to buy Rafale fighters anymore, and not to hire the French to build a nuclear plant; he was more concerned in investing in social services.

Energy giant Total wanted a much bigger piece of the Libyan energy cake – which was being largely eaten, on the European side, by Italy’s ENI, especially because Premier Silvio “bunga bunga” Berlusconi, a certified Big G fan, had clinched a complex deal with Gaddafi.

Thus the military coup was perfected in Paris until December; the first popular demonstrations in Cyrenaica in February – largely instigated by the plotters – were hijacked. The self-promoting philosopher Bernard Henri-Levy flew his white shirt over an open torso to Benghazi to meet the “rebels” and phone Sarkozy, virtually ordering him to recognize them in early March as legitimate (not that Sarko needed any encouragement).

http://www.prisonplanet.com/why-gaddafi ... -card.html

Alledgedly the new libyan bank is part of the IMF now?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Libyan proposed currency change caused war?

#2  Postby Weaver » Sep 06, 2011 2:59 pm

First I've heard anything of the sort - I'm thinking this should be better in Conspiracy Theories.

I'll leave it here for a little while but unless some good sources are found supporting this allegation, I think we'll be moving.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby mrjonno » Sep 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Sorry West supported nasty regime as there wasnt anything better around
Nasty regime had revolution against it, west didnt want to be seen to be supporting crushing it which it would be if it did nothing so we went with a possible better alternative
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Weaver » Sep 06, 2011 3:05 pm

OK, I've dug into the sources in the OP - unreliable is the kindest descriptor I can come up with.

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Buckle up, we're going to CT.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby JoeB » Sep 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Since when did the USA 'lead nato into lybia'? I was under the impression France and England were the major players here?
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Weaver » Sep 06, 2011 3:34 pm

JoeB wrote:Since when did the USA 'lead nato into lybia'? I was under the impression France and England were the major players here?

Just one of the reasons why the thread found a new home ... ;)
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Teague » Sep 06, 2011 4:02 pm

I've been told, LBC radio are saying reprters in tripoli have found documents linking MI6 to gadaffi? Looking for a reliable source to the info about the dinar right now
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Weaver » Sep 06, 2011 4:04 pm

NY Times is reporting that British and US intelligence sources sent people to Libya for "rendition" - disgusting if true.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Teague » Sep 06, 2011 4:05 pm

"What do these seven countries have in common? In the context of banking, one that sticks out is that none of them is listed among the 56 member banks of the Bank for International Settlements (BIS). That evidently puts them outside the long regulatory arm of the central bankers' central bank in Switzerland. The most renegade of the lot could be Libya and Iraq, the two that have actually been attacked. Kenneth Schortgen Jr, writing on Examiner.com, noted that '[s]ix months before the US moved into Iraq to take down Saddam Hussein, the oil nation had made the move to accept euros instead of dollars for oil, and this became a threat to the global dominance of the dollar as the reserve currency, and its dominion as the petrodollar.' According to a Russian article titled 'Bombing of Libya – Punishment for Gaddafi for His Attempt to Refuse US Dollar', Gaddafi made a similarly bold move: he initiated a movement to refuse the dollar and the euro, and called on Arab and African nations to use a new currency instead, the gold dinar.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ar-gaddafi
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Weaver » Sep 06, 2011 4:10 pm

Given that it's an opinion piece quoting a blog post, which links to a Russian blog for it's source claims, I think the evidence is getting stronger that this is conspiracy theory rather than good factual analysis.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Teague » Sep 06, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm thinking the same, I'm still looking for a credible source (whilst ribbing my mate something rotten right now lol).
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Weaver » Sep 06, 2011 4:43 pm

I really don't think there is a credible source for that claim ... it's quite incredible.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Nostalgia » Sep 06, 2011 5:28 pm

So the fact the Arab Spring was happening across Arabia and North Africa is a coincidence? :ask:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Teague » Sep 07, 2011 7:47 am

MacIver wrote:So the fact the Arab Spring was happening across Arabia and North Africa is a coincidence? :ask:

Probably though I fail to see the connection, if there is any thatis lol
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Teague » Sep 07, 2011 8:36 am

Having scoured google pretty extensively, I've found no credible links to this claim about Libya trying to move to the Dinar. The closest I've come to is the the Guardian which uses a Russian blogger as it's source. I'm led to believe that unless further evidence is found, this claim is bullshit.

Anyone else want to prove this story right go ahead. Any proponents of this will perhaps admit it's BS too when they find fuck all. It appears that all these "conspiracy" websites all report the same story but surprisingly, offer no source for their info. I reckon one guys makes up some bullshit and then all the other sites just latch on and it gets repeated all over the place.

I used to be into CS's years ago but I grew out of it. That's not to say I'm immune from the "truth", I just require something called evidence and not conjecture to make up my mind these days.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Lucky Pierre » Dec 06, 2011 7:20 am

Hi, newbie here.

This thread caught my eye because the Libyan Gold Dinar conspiracy theory was something I looked into recently. I blogged about it and can reproduce the main points below.

It’s true that Muammar Gaddafi had talked about a gold currency for the region; in fact he had been talking about it since at least the mid 1990s and was as far along in realizing the proposal then as he was earlier this year, i.e. precisely nowhere. The Libyan despot said a lot of things. He was well-known for his “eccentricities”, which included his capacity for waffling utter nonsense at any given turn. Indeed, Christopher Hitchens recently expressed his misgivings over Gaddafi being killed by his captors on the grounds that, had the dictator been turned over to the International Criminal Court for prosecution, his inevitable tirades of gibberish in the dock at The Hague would soon eradicate any residual support for the man or his legacy. The Gaddafi plan for a Gold Dinar has to be understood in this context. Muammar Gaddafi also had few friends in the region, beyond poor African states he was bribing, largely due to decades of criminal meddling by the Libyan regime throughout North Africa and the Middle East. Note that the Arab League itself called for a no-fly zone to be imposed on Libya in the wake of the Libyan dictatorship’s brutal crackdown on the popular uprising and it officially recognized the National Transitional Council as the legitimate government of Libya in March of this year. These states were not remotely close to accepting some quixotic currency plan from Muammar Gaddafi at any time. The African Union also formally rejected his plans for a gold currency in 2010. Leaving aside the question of how a Gold Dinar that no other country in the Middle East or Africa was interested in adopting would ruin or even challenge the Dollar or Euro, is it even plausible that this was the intention of the late Libyan tyrant? The North African state’s gold reserves, although considerable, amount to only 5.6% of its total currency exchange reserves. The remaining 94.4% of Libya’s currency reserves are held in something other than gold and that something else is very probably Dollar or Euro based assets. If the proposed Gold Dinar was somehow able to undermine the Dollar and Euro, this would have inflicted far more damage to the Libyan economy overall than whatever meagre benefits the gold currency would have brought. As crazy and deluded as the Gaddafi crime family was, it was never that stupid.
Lucky Pierre

Name: Wigfield

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#17  Postby james1v » Dec 06, 2011 10:23 am

I dont think the people of Libya gave two fooks about currencies. They had however had enough of a dictator and his family. Just (but not exactly the same as) the Iraqi people, the Egyptian people, the Syrian people and the rest involved in removing their oppressive regimes in the middle east and elsewhere. Yup, the west, including the USA may have "encouraged" the people and in Saddam's/The taliban's case, removed those regimes. But in Libya and most other cases, it was the people who wanted rid, without them, these despots would still be ruling. Currencies? Nah! The people!
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Lucky Pierre » Dec 07, 2011 1:50 am

james1v wrote:I dont think the people of Libya gave two fooks about currencies. They had however had enough of a dictator and his family. Just (but not exactly the same as) the Iraqi people, the Egyptian people, the Syrian people and the rest involved in removing their oppressive regimes in the middle east and elsewhere. Yup, the west, including the USA may have "encouraged" the people and in Saddam's/The taliban's case, removed those regimes. But in Libya and most other cases, it was the people who wanted rid, without them, these despots would still be ruling. Currencies? Nah! The people!

Agreed.

There was a mob of pro-Gaddafi conspiracy theorists and other cranks, largely hailing from Canadian conspiracy groups Global Research and the affiliated Voltaire Network, who were employed by Russia Today to regurgitate regime propaganda during the Libyan uprising. They were largely self-styled "activists" and bloggers shamefully presented as legitimate journalists or expert analysts by the Moscow propaganda mouthpiece and they pushed this laughable line that the uprising in Libya was some kind of manufactured rebellion created by CIA/Mossad/NATO and seemed to suggest that the Libyan people were perfectly happy living under the oppressive 42-year authoritarian plutocracy of the Gaddafi crime family.
Lucky Pierre

Name: Wigfield

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Return to Conspiracy Theories