The Obligatory 9/11 Thread Part II

Discussions on 9/11, moon landing etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Obligatory 9/11 Thread Part II

#2721  Postby atrasicarius » Jan 28, 2011 1:49 am

psikeyhackr wrote:TONS of steel and TONS of concrete, etc etc etc

Time for a little thread review.

atrasicarius wrote:Alright, since you're apparently incapable of facing up to my challenge, I'll do it for you. For this, we're going to assume that 100 percent of the weight is variable, which is basically the mass distribution of a pyramid. We'll also give it an extra 20 meters to account for the basement. Keep in mind that the real building had to have a certain base mass for each floor, not to mention the hat truss on top, which means this distribution is pretty much impossible.

0435(5e8(435-h)*2/435^2)(hg)dh.
=7.10e11J

435=a*12^2/2
a=6.04m/s^2

0435(5e8(435-h)*2/435^2)(6.04*h)dh
=4.38e11J

7.10e11J-4.38J=2.72e11J
=59.8 tons of TNT

Completely unrealistic mass distribution in your favor, and it's still got way more than enough energy. These are not "math games." These are the actual numbers for how much energy was released in the collapse. Even if they're off by a factor of 2, which would be a lot of error, there's still more than enough energy. Explain where that energy went so that it wasnt available to help with the collapse, or admit that you're wrong.

eta: Let me restate something just so we're completely clear on it. These figures are not accurate or realistic. They're biased in your favor. The actual figures, whatever they are, would be worse for your position, so knowing them would not help you. Got it?
The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.
Einstein

In a society that has abolished all adventures, the only adventure left is to abolish society.
The Black Iron Prison
atrasicarius

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2722  Postby econ41 » Jan 28, 2011 6:23 am

tolman wrote:
econ41 wrote:The fact that he refers to one of the leading charlatans - David Ray Griffin - as a "devoted scholar[s] of high integrity" undermines any justified claims that there could be in the domain if LIHOP conspiracy.

To be honest, someone lavishing praise on someone like that immediately gets my alarm bells ringing even if I haven't got the faintest idea who their object of adoration is.

Seems just a bit too reminiscent of a creationist lauding the academic credentials of one of the few people who seems to agree with them when you know damn well that they'll ignore the credentials of any number of people who disagree with them without giving it a moment's thought.

Greetings tolman.

David Ray Griffin is one of about 5 or 6 high profile persons who 'milk' the 9/11 conspiracy scene for whatever reasons motivate them.

Richard Gage is probably the current most prominent - he is with 'Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth' where 'truth' has the reversed meaning usual with this 9/11 stuff.

Another one is Steven E Jones who last year tried to revive dying interest in his 9/11 topic. That was use of thermite/thermate as a demolition tool. His nonsense claims on that had lost impetus so about a year back he did what I suppose the marketing folk would call a 'relaunch' with an improved market image to 'revive the brand'. So we had 'nano-thermate' which was alleged to have near magical properties. Since rebutted in excruciating detail - so much so that Jones walked away from his earlier claims. Rare for a truther.

The point that I have made routinely in this and similar threads is that all of these frauds play the technical issues such as claims for demolition at WTC. Those technical claims are easily shown to be false to any honest and reasonable thinking person.

Not so the 'conspiracy' type issues. The political decision making or lack thereof, questions of deliberately ignoring available intell etc etc. I can accept that some people may have a genuine concern in the domain of conspiracy. And I used the 'LIHOP' acronym as a label - 'Let It Happen On Purpose' - it is less aggressive than 'MIHOP' meaning 'Make it Happen...'

If people have a genuine concern about shortcomings or failures in the political process and they want a new inquiry they will need a critical mass of political support for such an inquiry. And, yes, getting politicians to inquire into politics could be a bit controversial. :whistle: So why tie their genuine political wish to the dead set loser of lying claims about demolition?

Unless they are so thick between the ears that they cannot see that it is setting the stage for a loss. And, if that is true, well there is little chance of them getting anything moving in the realm of politics.
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2723  Postby psikeyhackr » Jan 28, 2011 9:55 am

atrasicarius wrote:
psikeyhackr wrote:TONS of steel and TONS of concrete, etc etc etc

Time for a little thread review.

atrasicarius wrote:Alright, since you're apparently incapable of facing up to my challenge, I'll do it for you. For this, we're going to assume that 100 percent of the weight is variable, which is basically the mass distribution of a pyramid. We'll also give it an extra 20 meters to account for the basement. Keep in mind that the real building had to have a certain base mass for each floor, not to mention the hat truss on top, which means this distribution is pretty much impossible.

0435(5e8(435-h)*2/435^2)(hg)dh.
=7.10e11J

435=a*12^2/2
a=6.04m/s^2

0435(5e8(435-h)*2/435^2)(6.04*h)dh
=4.38e11J

7.10e11J-4.38J=2.72e11J
=59.8 tons of TNT

Completely unrealistic mass distribution in your favor, and it's still got way more than enough energy. These are not "math games." These are the actual numbers for how much energy was released in the collapse. Even if they're off by a factor of 2, which would be a lot of error, there's still more than enough energy. Explain where that energy went so that it wasnt available to help with the collapse, or admit that you're wrong.

eta: Let me restate something just so we're completely clear on it. These figures are not accurate or realistic. They're biased in your favor. The actual figures, whatever they are, would be worse for your position, so knowing them would not help you. Got it?

ROFLMAO

When did I ever say I gave a damn about the supposed Potential Energy of the building?

Those calculations assume the mass is free to fall the distance in question. The problem is the falling mass has to hit ststionary mass which is supported and the supports must be broken for the stationary mass to move. So it is fine with me if you think you are smart for doing a stupid and irrelevant calculations.

I could do a potential energy calculation for my model but it would be irrelevant because the collapse was ARRESTED.

Let's see you build a self supporting model that can COMPLETELY collapse while doing permanent damage to its supports in the process. No house of cards rubbish that slides apart.

psik
Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History
psikeyhackr

Print view this post

#2724  Postby tolman » Jan 28, 2011 10:51 am

econ41 wrote:Richard Gage is probably the current most prominent - he is with 'Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth' where 'truth' has the reversed meaning usual with this 9/11 stuff.

I'm sure I had a discussion a while ago with someone who was convinced there was going to be a tsunami of engineers signing up for their petition. I'd have to look up the date and the numbers they quoted, but I don't get the feeling that the tidal wave has started yet.

econ41 wrote:If people have a genuine concern about shortcomings or failures in the political process and they want a new inquiry they will need a critical mass of political support for such an inquiry. And, yes, getting politicians to inquire into politics could be a bit controversial. So why tie their genuine political wish to the dead set loser of lying claims about demolition?

Obviously, the 9/11 truth movement must all a huge distraction conspiracy, preventing people from getting at the real truth.
See - it all fits!!! :grin:
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#2725  Postby uke2se » Jan 28, 2011 11:18 am

psikeyhackr wrote:
ROFLMAO

When did I ever say I gave a damn about the supposed Potential Energy of the building?

Those calculations assume the mass is free to fall the distance in question. The problem is the falling mass has to hit ststionary mass which is supported and the supports must be broken for the stationary mass to move. So it is fine with me if you think you are smart for doing a stupid and irrelevant calculations.

I could do a potential energy calculation for my model but it would be irrelevant because the collapse was ARRESTED.

Let's see you build a self supporting model that can COMPLETELY collapse while doing permanent damage to its supports in the process. No house of cards rubbish that slides apart.

psik

Are you seriously still going on about your bullshit model that fails in every aspect to be relevant to the events on 9/11?
uke2se

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#2726  Postby Weaver » Jan 28, 2011 11:37 am

Yep.

And shifting the entire argument back, again, as if we hadn't had months of discussion here about WHY the distribution of structural steel in the vertical support columns is irrelevant.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2727  Postby aspire1670 » Jan 28, 2011 11:53 am

psikeyhackr wrote:

psik

No need to build a model we had the real life example of the WTC doing just that without the assistance of any controlled demolition. Wait, what?
:rofl:
psikeyhackr wrote: Physics is not rhetorical pseudo-logic crap.

I removed this signature at the request of another member.
aspire1670

Male

Print view this post

#2728  Postby byofrcs » Jan 28, 2011 12:20 pm

psikeyhackr wrote:....

psik

Some questions,

a) do you know the dead weight of each floor ? (about 4000 tonnes or something)
b) do you know what the maximum load that each floor could carry ? (I think its 1300 tonnes or something )

OK, given those two figure then is it reasonable to say that if the dead weight of a floor
exceeds the load of the floor below (i.e. 4000 >1300) and if they were to meet then there would be an
unstoppable chain reaction down the floors ?

OK and then given that all the floors are now settling in a falling multi-thousand tonne pile of rubble
that easily exceeds the load capacity of any one floor then is it reasonable that the core and outside supports
will just collapse too due to lack of lateral support like so much un-braced scaffolding ?
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2729  Postby Dudely » Jan 28, 2011 1:59 pm

It would appear to be a reasonable conclusion, wouldn't it?

But there's something to do with steal and concrete and 15% that gets in the way of that. I'm still not sure. Psikeyhackr, maybe you could enlighten us? How does a gradual increase in mass and supports interfere with an even greater gradual increase in the weight of the rubble crushing down upon it?
This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2730  Postby Kat Dorman » Jan 28, 2011 7:29 pm

psikeyhackr wrote:When did I ever say I gave a damn about the supposed Potential Energy of the building?

You should.

Those calculations assume the mass is free to fall the distance in question.

If a support is crushed or otherwise failed by the momentum transfer of impact, the load is not supported and drops further. Does the load gain or lose PE as that drop occurs, or does it stay the same?

The problem is the falling mass has to hit ststionary mass which is supported and the supports must be broken for the stationary mass to move.

Exactly. So what do you suppose happens if the supports are broken? The load just floats in air?

Did your upper block lose PE while it was crushing the lower? Any reason you don't count that? Do you suppose if your block and debris zone lost enough PE with each story drop to crush the subsequent story that your collapse would've arrested? If you had bothered with a PE calculation, cross referenced to your static fail tests, you could've predicted arrest.

Goalpost shift noted (again). Please divulge any additional unstated conditions of your challenge.
Kat Dorman

Print view this post

#2731  Postby Kat Dorman » Jan 28, 2011 8:52 pm

psikeyhackr, you seem to be convinced that any use of PE in calculations is somehow borrowing against something that hasn't happened yet. I get that. I understand why you misunderstand, believe it or not, and it's quite frustrating to not be able to communicate this most simple idea to you after untold posts back and forth. Your ridicule is misplaced and, I swear, if you ever come around to understanding this you are going to be embarrassed.

It can be a tad confusing when presented with calculations which compare the PE loss from a given drop to the energy required to "crush" (or more accurately simply "fail") the same distance. It looks like the energy required to fail the supports is taken from the PE which hasn't been lost yet. Sometimes, this is exactly what people do (such as above) because they intend to. They want to see what the energy numbers are IF there's a total collapse.

Let's suppose the towers were taken down by having devices of some sort placed at each and every connection - not even a secret operation, think public demolition in 2050 - so that it ended up in a big heap like what was seen on 9/11. The PE change is the same going from intact structure to debris pile in BOTH cases. It doesn't matter HOW the tower comes down for PE calculations: progressive collapse, demolition, incremental disassembly, even melting in the sun. What matters is the sum of the products migΔhi where mi and Δhi are the mass and total change of height of the ith mass element. There's nothing in there about HOW the mass got from point A to point B.

When a calculation is done that says a particular amount of PE is lost by the mass dropping X amount, that calculation is applicable no matter how the condition came to be. Unless you are denying the towers actually came down at all (is this really your position? I'm beginning to wonder...) there is a valid calculation for the PE change regardless of, and independent from, the cause. Once you determine the total PE change, you've determined what energy was available from that source to drive collapse. Unless there were other sources of energy, that's it.

A single, global calculation can't really address the issue of arrest or not even if it were somehow possible to exactly specify all the masses and all the sinks. Arrest is a question of power, not energy. Step-wise and continuum approximations are much better, though hardly perfect. In fact, I'd argue they are (at the current state of the art) way off the mark. Better than your paper loop and washer model, though, just to put it into perspective. Why? Because it's a poor physical analog to the analytical models which are in turn a poor representation of the tower collapses. Irrelevancy heaped on top of irrelevancy.

What a single global calculation of PE change can do, if it's accurate, is specify the total PE change from beginning to end. Of course, it's impossible for such a calculation to be accurate. Once you find the as-built TONS of STEEL and TONS of CONCRETE specified to your satisfaction, you still won't know the final distribution in the pile. Right? It's only ever going to be an approximation based on estimates, whether global or piecewise.

The value of an estimate is in getting a rough idea of what's possible, no more no less. If the estimate is from the energetic perspective, it speaks only to energy and nothing else. In this case, crude estimates indicate an enormous PE loss per unit distance of drop. The only way it is even possible to arrest is if the sinks per unit distance exceed the PE loss rate. Bazant presents a limiting case based on a good engineering estimate of the MAXIMAL energy dissipation per unit distance of an actual tower, not short paper loops and washers on a dowel, and the conclusion is there is no arrest in that circumstance.

You refuse to speculate on why the towers came down, but reject a natural progression. Thus far, you've not once presented a rational reason for your belief, though the few reasons given are repeated endlessly in this forum and perhaps hundreds of others. You've encountered the best and the worst of responses and treated them exactly the same, no hint of the slightest discrimination between a good argument and a bad one. It feels like arguing with a chat-bot, I'm sorry to say. Cut and paste argumentation is sooooo tiresome.

Your crusade against PE calculation is quixotic, and you haven't the slightest interest in moving beyond personal misconception and incredulity to more compelling issues. Why?
Last edited by Kat Dorman on Jan 28, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kat Dorman

Print view this post

#2732  Postby econ41 » Jan 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Kat Dorman wrote:...You refuse to speculate on why the towers came down, but reject a natural progression. Thus far, you've not once presented a rational reason for your belief, though the few reasons given are repeated endlessly in this forum and perhaps hundreds of others. You've encountered the best and the worst of responses and treated them exactly the same, no hint of the slightest discrimination between a good argument and a bad one. It feels like arguing with a chat-bot, I'm sorry to say. Cut and paste argumentation is sooooo tiresome.

Your crusade against PE calculation is quixotic, and you haven't the slightest interest in moving beyond personal misconception and incredulity to more compelling issues. Why?
It is a 'safe haven'. Not on either 'side' and refusing to commit to anything so you can deny whatever is put to you.
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2733  Postby Kat Dorman » Jan 28, 2011 9:20 pm

econ41 wrote:It is a 'safe haven'. Not on either 'side' and refusing to commit to anything so you can deny whatever is put to you.

Indeed. I remember when people had the balls to take a stand about intentional demolition on a forum. Heh heh. There has been an upswing of genuinely skeptical agnosticism, usually distinguished by disclaimers like "I don't know, but I suspect/believe..." which is a different thing and a better outlook IMO. This, however, is a radical case. Absolute certainty with vehemence that it can't be natural, but a total refusal to speculate on what it would take to bridge the gap from natural to whatever it is that did it.

One thing he's correct about, though: It is sufficient to prove something false in order to reject it as an explanation, no need to provide an alternative. Problem is, he's misusing this. Nothing he's done or anyone's done refutes the conclusion that natural is sufficient, therefore it remains as the generic explanation, notwithstanding some skirting about the actual mechanism. As such, he has no rational basis for clinging to his belief natural collapse is impossible and bears the burden of providing a superior alternative mechanism. Or giving it a rest.
Kat Dorman

Print view this post

#2734  Postby econ41 » Jan 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Kat Dorman wrote:
econ41 wrote:It is a 'safe haven'. Not on either 'side' and refusing to commit to anything so you can deny whatever is put to you.

Indeed. I remember when people had the balls to take a stand about intentional demolition on a forum. Heh heh....
a few years back - say 2006-early2008 - the answers to CD claims were not as well defined. Remember also that the rise in Internet discussion of 9/11 matters has risen with the availability of forums which got a big kick forward about 2006. So there are not the number of conspiracy theorists pursuing CD and who are not aware that all the key questions have been answered.
Kat Dorman wrote:...There has been an upswing of genuinely skeptical agnosticism, usually distinguished by disclaimers like "I don't know, but I suspect/believe..." which is a different thing and a better outlook IMO...
Subjectively I'm not sure it is a rise in agnosticism rather than a major decline in two of the key types of enquirer - that is obsessed conspiracy nuts and genuine sceptics on the 9/11 matters. So I suspect the apparent rise in agnostics could be the result of the drop in the other two categories creating the appearance of a relative increase.
Kat Dorman wrote:...This, however, is a radical case. Absolute certainty with vehemence that it can't be natural, but a total refusal to speculate on what it would take to bridge the gap from natural to whatever it is that did it.
...and obsessive posting of the 'weight of concrete and steel' nonsense on multiple forums/blogs. The same sentence almost word perfect comes up in a google search.
Kat Dorman wrote:...One thing he's correct about, though: It is sufficient to prove something false in order to reject it as an explanation, no need to provide an alternative. Problem is, he's misusing this. Nothing he's done or anyone's done refutes the conclusion that natural is sufficient, therefore it remains as the generic explanation, notwithstanding some skirting about the actual mechanism. As such, he has no rational basis for clinging to his belief natural collapse is impossible and bears the burden of providing a superior alternative mechanism. Or giving it a rest.
After three years I still have no idea what drives him because there is no progress, no way forward. Just every so often the new model which has little relevance to anything. On RDNet it had become a ritual of inserting a personal insult directed at me into almost every post. Got that I used to cry myself to sleep most nights and have nightmares about collection of irrelevant data. :whistle:
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2735  Postby atrasicarius » Jan 28, 2011 11:11 pm

psikeyhackr wrote:ROFLMAO

psik

Alright, there's a lot of things I could say about this, and I started to say a lot of them, but it really wouldnt serve any purpose. You'd just question dodge some more and claim irrelevancy. Instead, I'll ask you this: If all that energy wasnt enough to cause the towers to collapse, then what did?

By the way, the tactic you're using here is relying on the fact that no one else wants to spend IRL time and money to make models to prove a point in some thread on the internet. That's really not a very good position.
The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.
Einstein

In a society that has abolished all adventures, the only adventure left is to abolish society.
The Black Iron Prison
atrasicarius

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2736  Postby psikeyhackr » Jan 29, 2011 10:47 pm

atrasicarius wrote:Alright, there's a lot of things I could say about this, and I started to say a lot of them, but it really wouldnt serve any purpose. You'd just question dodge some more and claim irrelevancy. Instead, I'll ask you this: If all that energy wasnt enough to cause the towers to collapse, then what did?

The towers were DESTROYED. Did they collapse?

I don't have any dust from the WTC. I don't have the equipment to analyze it if I did. You can read all of the SPECULATION as to the causes that you want. I have never bothered and don't intend to start. Ask econ41 about that if you like.

I simply point out that the idea of the top of the north tower destroying everything below that quickly is a physical absurdity and the people that believe it are ridiculous.

But since skyscrapers must hold themselves up and must be constructed from the bottom up how can we not have accurate date about the distributions of steel and concrete on the buildings after all of this time. How is it the "supposedly" best data is from a software engineer in Sweden, Gregory Urich? When has any engineering school demonstrated a physical model of a top down collapse duplicating what supposedly happened to the north tower.

Now the south tower is even more fascinating because of that rotated and tilted top. The bottom of that broken portion move 20 feet in a few seconds just before the downward movement began. But how was that possible if the structure only deflected 15 inches due to the impact of the plane 54 minutes earlier. The building then oscillated for 4 minutes. The NIST admitted in two places that they needed the distribution of mass data to analyze that but then they didn't do it and don't supply the data.

So the problem is all of the people that BELIEVE collapses happened but then don't expect to be given the obviously relevant info. So all I can do is physics demonstrations that grade school kids should be able to comprehend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0kUICwO93Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT4BXIpdIdo

So what is stopping you from making a model that can completely collapse if you think a self supporting structure is capable of that? I have never even seen the weight of a floor assembly specified.

Of course if we don't know how much steel was on each level how can we have any idea how much energy was required to "CRUSH" each level. So what is that calculation supposed to mean?

psik
Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
psikeyhackr

Print view this post

#2737  Postby Kat Dorman » Jan 29, 2011 11:08 pm

Kat Dorman wrote:It feels like arguing with a chat-bot...

http://www.alicebot.org/about.html
Last edited by Kat Dorman on Jan 29, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kat Dorman

Print view this post

#2738  Postby Xaihe » Jan 29, 2011 11:30 pm

psikeyhackr wrote:
So what is stopping you from making a model that can completely collapse if you think a self supporting structure is capable of that? I have never even seen the weight of a floor assembly specified.

Model for collapse: star with mass of around 1.4 solar masses.
Method of collapse: gravitational collapse during supernova event.
Result: much reduced in size.

I'm sorry I haven't made this model myself, but I don't see any reason why I can't use a model already at hand.
Consciousness is make believe. Just think about it.
Xaihe

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#2739  Postby psikeyhackr » Jan 29, 2011 11:41 pm

Xaihe wrote:
psikeyhackr wrote:

Model for collapse: star with mass of around 1.4 solar masses.
Method of collapse: gravitational collapse during supernova event.
Result: much reduced in size.

I'm sorry I haven't made this model myself, but I don't see any reason why I can't use a model already at hand.

I'm so glad you think that demonstrates your intelligence.

Would you be so kind as to compute how many times greater 1.4 solar masses is than the mass of WTC 1?

Of course I would not spend my time calculating something that STUPID.

psik
Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
psikeyhackr

Print view this post

#2740  Postby psikeyhackr » Jan 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Kat Dorman wrote:
Kat Dorman wrote:It feels like arguing with a chat-bot...

http://www.alicebot.org/about.html

If you Google:

+steel +concrete +skyscrapers

you get About 1,540,000 results (0.21 seconds)

If you research the history of skyscrapers you will find that is was not possible to build the structures until the late 1800s because STEEL was necessary to support the weight vertically and the Bessemer process made it possible to produce the steel.

So since this entire "collapse theory" depends on falling mass being able to destroy support mass designed to hold the static load to pretend the distribution of that mass is not important is utter absurdity. So physicists and structural engineers have spent NINE YEARS making fools of themselves and keeping other people ignorant for not resolving this.

The words steel and concrete appear in the NCSTAR1 report more than 2000 times each but they never specify the total for the concrete or the distributions of either. But they admit in two places that the information is necessary just to analyze the airliner impact.

So you can try to make fun of TONS of STEEL and TONS of CONCRETE all you like. It does not bother me in the least.

You have no idea how funny I find people who think an airliner can TOTALLY destroy a 400,000+ ton skyscraper in less than TWO HOURS.

The only reason I don't say what I really think is that this is one of those sites that does not believe in freedom of speech. Of course it would be a struggle to come up with a sufficiently derogatory vocabulary. :coffee:

psik
Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
psikeyhackr

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Conspiracy Theories