Archaeopteryx: why evolutionists have to let go

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Archaeopteryx: why evolutionists have to let go

#61  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 10, 2010 11:53 pm

susu.exp wrote:A few quibbles:

Calilasseia wrote:Plus, if you're about to erect the fatuous "no transitional fossils exist" creationist canard, then you really do need to go back to school and re-learn science from the ground up. Not least because, in case you hadn't worked this out, every living organism is a transitional form between its parents and its offspring.

That´s bollocks. Not because it´s wrong per se, but because it doesn´t use the technical definition of transitional form. A transitional form is an organism, extinct or extant, that allows us to infer something about the sequence of character evolution. We know that the plesiomorphic state for synapsids was hairless and laid amniote eggs. We know that placentalia have hair and give live birth. The duck billed platypus is a transitional form, because it tells us that hair evolved before vivipary. Being transitional is not a property of an organism, it´s a property of an organism discovered at some point of our study. If we found a new species of basal mammals showing the same set of symplesiomorphies that the platypus shows, it wouldn´t be transitional, because it wouldn´t tell us anything new about character evolution.
Transitional fossils are something else entirely. A gap in the fossil record is the time span between the first appearance of a clade and its sister clade. A transitional fossil is one that reduces such a gap, i.e. a fossil belonging to the clade with the younger first appearance date, leading to a new first appearance date, that is closer to the first appearance date of the sister clade. Tiktaalik is a good example (even though tetrapod tracks now have increased the gap again - tetrapods now have a first appearance date older than their sister group). Between the first appearance of the tetrapod sister group and the first appearance of tetrapods there was a temporal gap of 20Ma IIRC. Tiktaalik extended the range of tetrapods back 10Ma, shrinking the gap to 10Ma.

Being a transitional fossil landed Tiktaalik the Nature cover. If every species was transitional, it wouldn´t have been something special and presumably not even been published by Nature, much less pubished as the cover.

First of all, I bow of course to your superior knowledge in this field. Polanyi, take note, susu engages in research in this field as part of his professional remit, which means [1] he knows what he's talking about, and [2] I'm not going to display the epic level of stupidity required to try and tell him he's wrong.

However, the point I was striving to make was this. The accumulation of small differences from one generation to the next produces the very features you have described above. Dissemination of variation across generations is the mechanism that underpins this. The only reason that transitional forms are regarded as 'special' in scientific work is because we don't have the vast collection of physical data stretching across the thousands of generations in the case of fossil organisms.What we do have, though, is hard evidence from living organisms that new features can arise in accordance with evolutionary mechanisms, and as a consequence of this, we may safely infer that the same mechanisms applied to organisms in the past, given that the inheritance mechanisms generating this are the only mechanisms we have hard evidence for to produce the observed features. It is only because the fossil record forces us to work with incomplete samples of those past organisms, that the whole 'transitional form' business is regarded as 'special' - if we had access to complete physical data for the respective lineages, transitional forms wouldn't be 'special' at all, they'd be trivially self-evident.

Of course, the simple fact remains that even if you and all the other scientists working in the field did have the vast quantities of physical data rendering 'transitional forms' trivially evident, including enough formalin jars of specimens to resurface an entire continental land mass, along with 10 million years' worth of continuous video footage of those specimens giving rise to each other in life, and complete genome data resident on exabytes' worth of hard drives on servers, creationists would still deny that evolution happened, and would still insist that fucking magic was needed.

susu.exp wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Even if we make the massively conservative assumption that all the genes in an organism's genome obey simple Mendelian laws (which underestimates the number of possible genomic combinations by a large factor, given the data that exists with respect to genes such as the Rhesus D factor gene in humans), such an assumption leads to the conclusion that, for an organism with 25,000 such genes, the number of possible combinations is 225,000, a gigantic number of possible variations that can exist even in the absence of mutations. Consequently, the scope for variation to be disseminated to future generations is enormous, and with each new generation, the population will change.

There are some problems with this. Mendelian does not imply that there are two alleles for each locus, in sensu stricto mendelian laws imply complete diploidy and no linkage. So you get the product (i=1..2G)ni, where G is the number of genes and ni is the number of alleles of the ith gene. G however is not identical to the number of genes for humans floating around. This number is the number of genes in the sense of molecular biology. It is not identical with the number of genes in the sense of evolutionary biology. A gene in the later sense isn´t neccessarily a DNA sequence - amino acid sequences are another example. To provide an example where this is relevant: Suppose there are 4 different DNA-alleles coding for an amino acid. Two of them code for one AA-sequence differing only by a synonymous substitution. The other two code for another AA-sequence (again differing by a synonymous alteration). It is possible in such case, that all DNA-genes are in the near neutral realm, but there is significant selection on the AA-genes. Evolutionary genes extend even to morphological character states. I´ve got two legs. That is an evolutionary gene. To make that more precise: An evolutionary gene satisfies the following criteria:
a) Heritability - it must be passed on from parents to offspring.
b) Imperfection - Variation must be able to arise
c) Stability - there are mathematical boundaries to the rate at which variation arises compared to the rate it is inherited
d) Discreteness. The number of legs is an integer. Any amino acid in a sequence of amino acids is one of the 400 AA known (and with few exceptions one of the 20 essential ones). And DNA sequences have at any point one of the 4 nucleotides.

d) is often not stressed and that´s one of the reasons I dislike statements to the effect of "it´s all a continuum" or "nature isn´t discrete. Discretness is a central point in evolution - without discreteness you don´t have genes and without genes you don´t have evolution.

Well I was presenting an elementary analysis by my own admission in that post. :)

However, the problem is that even elementary analyses tend to be beyond the ability of creationists either to understand or to erect. But then what else do you expect when their entire world view consists of "doctrinal assertions matter more than reality"?

susu.exp wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Actually, Ichthyornis is regarded as being a member of a sister clade to modern birds, the Subclass Ichthyornithes, which is taxonomically distinct from the Neoaves to which modern birds belong, but sharing a common ancestor therewith via the Carinatae. Therefore your above assertion that this was "100% bird" is not supported by the taxonomic evidence. It's part of a lineage with no modern descendants. Tell me, did you ever bother to learn anything about basic cladistics?

I think in this case you´re not on solid ground with the cladistics either. Ichthyornites, as a sister clade of the Neornithes is of course a subclade of Aves:
(Velociraptor(Archaeopteryx(Ichthyornithes(Neornithes))))
Birds in bold, Modern birds in italics as well.

Ah, I was under the impression that Ichthyornithes were a sister clade, not a containing clade. I stand corrected.

susu.exp wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Indeed, modern scientists do not consider reptiles to be a monophyletic clade if the birds are omitted.

Depending on what you synonymize reptiles with (and where turtles go), they don´t consider them monophyletic even with birds included.

Once again, you know more about this than I do, and so I won't argue. I was, however, aware of the more elementary fact that reptiles sans Aves were not monophyletic. And a quick trip to the Tree of Life website informs me that reptiles themselves form two distinct clades, the Archosauromorpha and the Lepidosauromorpha, the former being the clade containing birds, the latter the clade containing mammals, and that consequently, 'reptile' in the Linnaean sense is probably polyphyletic even without the additional complications you allude to above. But then that's what science does: modify its understanding as more real world data becomes available, as opposed to the creationist process of pretending that mythological assertions constitute "axioms" about the world, and then trying to force-fit the square peg of reality into the irregular hole of doctrine. :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 10, 2010 11:56 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Cali, is it possible for someone to recieve a formal warning for consistently using the term "evolutionist" despite having been told not to?

Sadly, my own view that this should be the case is not shared universally at head office, so to speak. Consequently I have to live within these limitations. Though it's a mark of the level of discoursive duplicity that Polanyi exhibits, that he routinely trots out this mendacious creationist trope as if doing so is a vital bodily function. But then what else do you expect from a creationist? Creationists are motivated to engage in dissemination of lies by the simple fact that they prefer doctrinal assertions to reality.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Darkchilde » Jul 11, 2010 6:46 am

hackenslash wrote:
Polanyi wrote:And evolutionists go into denial,

What the fuck is an evolutionist? You have been fucking schooled on this point already, so either you are just fucking stupid, or you're a troll. Which is it?

!
MODNOTE
Hackenslash, the above sentence is a personal attack against another member of this forum. You are saying that a member is either stupid or a troll, and thus constitutes a personal attack. Please remember the rules about personal attacks. This is just an advisory.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby susu.exp » Jul 11, 2010 10:20 am

Calilasseia wrote:First of all, I bow of course to your superior knowledge in this field. Polanyi, take note, susu engages in research in this field as part of his professional remit, which means [1] he knows what he's talking about, and [2] I'm not going to display the epic level of stupidity required to try and tell him he's wrong.

However, the point I was striving to make was this. The accumulation of small differences from one generation to the next produces the very features you have described above. Dissemination of variation across generations is the mechanism that underpins this. The only reason that transitional forms are regarded as 'special' in scientific work is because we don't have the vast collection of physical data stretching across the thousands of generations in the case of fossil organisms.

Indeed - as noted a transitional form has to tell us something new - if we had all the data, we couldn´t discover something new. But I think the small differences are sometimes overstressed. What is a small difference in evolution? The key here is that molecular and phenotpic changes aren´t proportional to each other. The fixation of a single point mutation can make a big difference in phenotype and conversely the fixation of a lot of genetic differences can make no discernable difference in phenotype. Fishers geometric argument tells us that the larger the mophological change, the less likely it is under positive selection (that doesn´t mean, that there aren´t big morphological changes under positive selection) and by multiplying the probability of positive selection with effect size, we get the relative contributions for changes of a certain magnitude mophologically. The problem of course is that the curve found in the fossil record doesn´t match Fishers curve:
Frequency of rates of change.
Contribution to evolution.
Blue line: Fisher, red line: fossil data.
That of course is punctuated equilibrium - medium rate changes are more important to evolution than in the simple model of Fisher, which G&E refered to as phyletic gradualism. - The reason I argue is that intraspecies competition plays a role here - if your environment includes two species that are very similar to each other - and sister species tend to be - then one of the will go extinct rather quickly unless one of them has high rates of morphological change. It´s a filtering effect that works on a longer time scale than the pure Fisher model.

On the far right side of these diagrams you have large changes that are rare in both models - but that´s precisely why they are relevant here. Take the synapomorphy of the deuterostomes: A second opening of the body cavity. AFAIK there have been no reductions of this trait in any group. It´s certainly a big change in the sense above. I don´t think one can construct a stepwise process here - you either have two opening or one. It´s not the "what good is half a wing" cannard - there´s simply no need to ahve multiple steps here and for a present/absent feature they can be hard to even conceptualize. Half an opening doesn´t even make logical sense... These changes on the far right of the diagram are phylogenetically very informative and represent major transitions. And when we´ve got several of them, we need to understand their sequence. Hence: transitional forms.

Calilasseia wrote:What we do have, though, is hard evidence from living organisms that new features can arise in accordance with evolutionary mechanisms, and as a consequence of this, we may safely infer that the same mechanisms applied to organisms in the past, given that the inheritance mechanisms generating this are the only mechanisms we have hard evidence for to produce the observed features.

I object to that. While we can infer that the mechanisms that are active today have been working before, we can not safely assume that they are the only mechanisms. The punctuated equilibrium vs. phyletic gradualism part above is a good example. Evolutionary rates in the recent do follow the blue curve, in the fossil record we find the red one. The mechanism I´m proposing there is too slow to observe in the recent (the red curve arises through the increased rate of extinction for slow changing organisms after speciation and the rates are on the order 0.5 Ma-1, so observing this in the recent would require observing quite a few species for at least 100ka).

Calilasseia wrote:Of course, the simple fact remains that even if you and all the other scientists working in the field did have the vast quantities of physical data rendering 'transitional forms' trivially evident, including enough formalin jars of specimens to resurface an entire continental land mass, along with 10 million years' worth of continuous video footage of those specimens giving rise to each other in life, and complete genome data resident on exabytes' worth of hard drives on servers, creationists would still deny that evolution happened, and would still insist that fucking magic was needed.

Of course they would. There are many things about creationism that are nuts, but I think the thing that tops it is that the reason both Genesis 1 and 2 were canonized (the church re-edited the bible quite a few times and at times they removed both creation accounts or only had one in) and are in the current bible is that they contradict each other. Church authorities argued that the whole point was that god allowed the universe to form, noting that whether he was actively involved, how it happened, etc. wasn´t in the scope of theology. To make sure nobody thought there were such claims they put the two contradictory accounts in, arguing that one would have to be quite mad to take them literally. The bible was designed to be creationsim-proof. Because people who worshipped the 60-something official foreskins of Jesus and thought beavers bit of their penises to use them as a defensive device against predators thought nobody could be that dumb.

As for video footage: We do have pretty much that for the planorbiscides from the Steinheimer Becken for instance (or the snails of Kos, or... There are quite a few sequences of freshwater snails that are pretty much evolution on video tape). That´s evolution so well resolved you can literally see it happening before your eyes.

Calilasseia wrote:Well I was presenting an elementary analysis by my own admission in that post. :)

Well, the thing there is really the 2 raised to some power. If you´d written: Assuming two alleles for each locus... that´d have worked, but your wording implied this was an assumption of mendelian inheritance.

Calilasseia wrote:However, the problem is that even elementary analyses tend to be beyond the ability of creationists either to understand or to erect. But then what else do you expect when their entire world view consists of "doctrinal assertions matter more than reality"?

Not even that. The doctrine behind Genesis is "don´t take this literally". Creationism is less in accordance with Genesis than evolutionary biology...

Calilasseia wrote:Ah, I was under the impression that Ichthyornithes were a sister clade, not a containing clade. I stand corrected.

They are the sister clade of modern birds and thus contained in birds (which includes several groups without modern representatives). They are closer related to modern birds than to Archaeopteryx and thus Aves. Now, the real tricky bit about early birds is Aves vs. Aviale and whether they are synonymous.

Calilasseia wrote:Once again, you know more about this than I do, and so I won't argue. I was, however, aware of the more elementary fact that reptiles sans Aves were not monophyletic. And a quick trip to the Tree of Life website informs me that reptiles themselves form two distinct clades, the Archosauromorpha and the Lepidosauromorpha, the former being the clade containing birds, the latter the clade containing mammals, and that consequently, 'reptile' in the Linnaean sense is probably polyphyletic even without the additional complications you allude to above.

Well, tolweb synonymizes Reptiles with amniota and that includes mammals. It also has the reptilia, which is a clade containing Anapsids and Romeriids and the sister clade of synapsids (including mammals). Now, this later clade if legit contains turtles and that´s not so clear where they go. If turtles are the sister group to the synapsids it would be polyphyletic, if turtles are basal and split before the synapsid diapsid split it´s paraphyletic. You´ve aparently synonymized reptiles with the sauria, which contains the Archosauromopha and Lepidosauromorpha as crown groups. Lepidosauromorpha does not include mammals.
susu
susu.exp

Print view this post

#65  Postby Animavore » Jul 11, 2010 11:00 am

Careful now you two. Polanyi will use your internal argument to show there is division amongst evolutionists, signs that the orthodoxy is beginning to collapse ;) :D
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#66  Postby z8000783 » Jul 11, 2010 11:25 am

Interestingly you are right even though it shows quite the reverse.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#68  Postby Ickypedia » Jul 11, 2010 5:49 pm

:lol:

so much win... and the plagiarising implies selfish motivations, rather than him just being stupid... this is the best discreditation I've ever seen :lol:
Ickypedia

Name: Eirik
Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#69  Postby byofrcs » Jul 11, 2010 9:04 pm

We haven't heard much recently from our plagiarist ?
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Rumraket » Jul 11, 2010 9:24 pm

byofrcs wrote:We haven't heard much recently from our plagiarist ?

No, I find his absense highly entertaining.
It's funny how this thread has one of those "gotcha" titles. As if he thought he had a case here. Even if that fucking fossil had never been found, nothing would have changed. The theory of evolution would still stand perfectly fine without it.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#71  Postby Alan C » Jul 12, 2010 8:04 am

and he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling critical thinkers.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Ickypedia » Jul 12, 2010 9:51 am

Alan C wrote:and he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling critical thinkers.

I just had an idea... who's up for buying a van and travelling around the US debunking woo?
Ickypedia

Name: Eirik
Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jul 12, 2010 10:48 am

I think, for now, Canada needs me.

Frankly, the thought of debunking all the woo readily embraced by the United States overwhelms me.

Is Johan not going to be cited for his plagaristic ways this time?
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Blitzkrebs » Jul 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Frankly, the thought of debunking all the woo readily embraced by the United States overwhelms me.

It needn't be. We can divide our workforce so each person gets assigned a different sect of Christianity or religion. I'll handle the New Agers because they probably have all the cool drugs. You get the Mormons. :tongue:
ikster7579 wrote:Being rational is just an excuse for not wanting to have faith.
Blitzkrebs

Name: Roy
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jul 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Great. All I get is magical underwear.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#76  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 12, 2010 1:01 pm

Whilst we're indulging this tangential diversion, if you really want to put the shits up the Mormons, Rachel, try turning up at the door in a negligée, wielding a pair of handcuffs, saying "Wanna play Kirk and Joyce?" :mrgreen: :naughty2:

Meanwhile, I wonder if Polanyi is even going to bother reading the citations for those papers I mentioned, let alone the papers themselves, or that 73 page thread over at FRDB I linked to earlier, where the real science (as opposed to the fabricated apologetics) covering Archaeopteryx is expounded at length, by people who include amongst their numbers tenured research professionals?
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#77  Postby argumentativealex » Jul 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Whilst we're indulging this tangential diversion, if you really want to put the shits up the Mormons, Rachel, try turning up at the door in a negligée, wielding a pair of handcuffs, saying "Wanna play Kirk and Joyce?"

Ah, that takes me back! Something about "skiing naked down Mt Everest with a carnation up my nose", wasn't it?

(...or was that just a dream I had?)
idofcourse - "That God created the universe is so obvious the Bible doesn’t even bother with a proof."
answersingenesis "This article is available in an attractive booklet to share with anyone who is not willing to read a book"
argumentativealex

Print view this post

#78  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Got it in one. :mrgreen:
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#79  Postby OHSU » Jul 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Susu, what is the difference between a "intermediate form" and an"transitional form/fossil" ?

I read a couple of books by Donald Prothero where (if I remember correctly) he seemed to distinguish between "intermediate form" and "transitional form/fossil". If I understood him correctly, he used "intermediate form" to refer to extant animals, such as the platypus, that possess features intermediate between two clades, and "transitional form/fossil" to refer to extinct animals that demonstrate the evolution of one clade to another.

Is there anything to this, or have I misunderstood?
OHSU

Print view this post

#80  Postby Eduard » Jul 12, 2010 4:17 pm

:coffee:

There's not enough time in a day when people give such excellent refutations to read up on the citations and matters of interest. Cali and Susu give amazing insights! Well done folks :thumbup:
-Ed

"Together we'll pull through. We are the strong, the brave, the few"
Eduard

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism