asyncritus' question time

asyncritus arguments against evolution

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: asyncritus' question time

#261  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2012 12:51 pm

asyncritus wrote:
I've shown that you have not made any 'arguments'. I've repeated my demands for you to present your case, in my previous post.
Spearthrower has made a valiant effort, and I commend him for it.

You don't seem to understand, Async. I didn't make an effort, I informed you of the facts.

The situation is that you are a reality-denier.

It's functionally akin to people who deny that the Holocaust happened, but far less emotive.

That you and people like you exist, I can well understand. It's a fast moving world - our knowledge has increased by orders of magnitude over the last century, and we're ill-equipped to deal with it. In fact, if you understood evolutionary biology, you'd realise why that is... our cultural environment is of far greater significance to our progress than our biological one over the last at least 10,000 years, arguably 200k. So it's not surprising that such dramatic shifts in comprehension - the Great Demotions - have left people like you feeling completely awash in an unfriendly sea. It's comforting to cling to those silly children stories you were fed when you were too young to critically consider them. It's even possible that this obsessive behaviour of trying ineptly to disprove the ToE to random strangers on the internet is some kind of internal realisation that you are holding a duff hand. You certainly can't genuinely, in the quiet of the night, pretend to yourself that you really do have a clue about this subject.

Well, I'm afraid I couldn't lie to myself so well. Them naughty little facts turned me from being a de facto Christian Creationist to actually having a somewhat decent grasp on reality.

Try it some time - it's liberating. The amount of facts you no longer have to deny, and the amount of bullshit you can stop pretending is fact - useless baggage in your one shot at life.

asyncritus wrote:You now have another first class opportunity to cop out, evade or otherwise slither away. Which one are you going to use this time?

We wait with bated breath.

This is remarkably like something someone would write to you.

There's even a 'we' on the end of it. Who's on first base, Async?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#262  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2012 12:54 pm

asyncritus wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:Why don't you answer what you have already been asked instead of bringing up yet something else you don't understand?

With reference to the eels, Onyx, if I were an evolutionist, your comment would be fully justified = I wouldn't have a clue as to how this behaviour could possibly have evolved.

But I do know. They were created that way.

Watch Async ignore this again.

Using Async's 'knowledge' coupled with the bit he just can't quite seem to notice - like it's being filtred out, or something! :)

Eels were created a very long time ago, and the current geography is very different from that period. In fact, there was a super-continent there for at least some of the period eels have lived on Earth. As eels have continued to exist while the continents have moved apart, it is clear that God has routinely popped back to tinker with their genetic programming to repeatedly update them to move the extra distance.

How many times does one have to repeat these things before they're addressed, I wonder? Considering this is a challenge I laid at his feet on the RD fora, one does wonder just how hard his Morton's Demon works!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#263  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2012 12:56 pm

asyncritus wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
asyncritus wrote: That’s curious, and not consistent with the facts. Let me remind you that the swallows arrive at the specific location in Capistrano on the 18th March precisely, every year, and leave on Oct 23rd.

This is not actually true. You need to deal with facts, and not myths and folklore. That's how science works.

What are you talking about? Time actually has newsreel footage of this happening. The facts about the godwit and the golden plover are in every textbook about bird migration. Go have a look and stop bleating foolishly.

Bleating foolishly.

I posted falsification of this claim 3 years ago.

Why are you regurgitating lies?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#264  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2012 12:58 pm

asyncritus wrote:Eshuis

Do forgive me for ignoring your future posts unless and until you respond to my demands. If you had a case, that wouldn't be too difficult, but since you don't, I can see the difficulties you're experiencing.

You are tedious, boring, repetitive, and pedantic..

So please carry on with my assurance that I shall not reply unless and until you answer the handful of points mentioned above.

Happy Christmas.

Good job Thomas - this is Async's way of folding. No humility or comprehension of it; he'll just go on repeating the same idiocies ad nauseum.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#265  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2012 1:03 pm

asyncritus wrote:
Perhaps headwinds etc may slow them down. But they do arrive, and have done so for the longest time. The tourists, of course, have driven them off. So nuts to your stupid point.

And here we have it.

Async will make certain claims about such things, just point blank assert that he's right.

And yet the moment you show him wrong, does he acknowledge it? No, not even remotely. He brushes it off and makes a stupid comment.

Now that's only mildly reprehensible.

What's utterly deceitful and mind-numbingly idiotic is that he will use this 'fact' again in the future, and again, and again - no matter how many times it's shown to be false.

So there's really only 2 possibilities.

Either he's being intentionally deceptive.

Or Morton's Demon helps him forget all these contradictory 'stupid points', thereby salving his conscience of doing wrong, and simultaneously propping up his confidence in his unwarranted beliefs.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#266  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2012 1:04 pm

Shrunk wrote:As opposed to your ignorance of the quote function.

So I guess we can add "tourists" to "iron chariots" and others on the list of things God cannot overcome....

:clap:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#267  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2012 1:06 pm

asyncritus wrote:
Brunitski wrote:
asyncritus wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:Why don't you answer what you have already been asked instead of bringing up yet something else you don't understand?

With reference to the eels, Onyx, if I were an evolutionist, your comment would be fully justified = I wouldn't have a clue as to how this behaviour could possibly have evolved.

But I do know. They were created that way.

Oh Really.

By Whom, did you say?

God, of course.

Mmmhmmmm

That's a fully fledged idea you've got there, right?

Properly scientific. Fully researched. Complete explanation.

Isn't it? Eh? Isn't it just.

Wonderful how it fits EVERY QUESTION you could POSSIBLY ASK! Just awesome. Go you! :cheers:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#268  Postby Paul » May 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Shrunk wrote:I guess the "miracle" is that swallows are supposed to show up every year on exactly the same date and yet they actually don't! Sometimes it can be a month later, and all that are seen are a few lonely swallows circling around in the sky!

It's even more 'miraculous' that the swallows apparently take into account leap days every four years, in exactly the same cycle as the Gregorian calendar :crazy: .

Call me a cynic, but this from wiki, might lead one to suspect some economy with the truth might have benefited certain parties.

A 1915 article in Overland Monthly magazine made note of the birds' annual habit of nesting beneath the Mission's eaves and archways from Spring through Fall, and made the swallows the "signature icon" of the Mission; Father O'Sullivan utilized interest in the phenomenon to generate public interest in restoration efforts during his two decades in residence.

The proximity of March 19th to the equinox is a pure co-incidence of course.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#269  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2012 1:20 pm

2 decades of observation would provide just the right kind of support for such a claim to have been made at some distant point in the past, which has then been recycled endlessly by the Creationist propagandists, and has unfortunately wended its way to reside most firmly in Async's mind, which has then spawned itself endlessly. Again, this is a claim of his I smacked down 3 years ago. The fact that he's repeating it again now very strongly suggests he will continue to do so even with tacit acknowledgment of being completely fucking wrong.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#270  Postby Shrunk » May 01, 2012 1:24 pm

Paul wrote:
Shrunk wrote:I guess the "miracle" is that swallows are supposed to show up every year on exactly the same date and yet they actually don't! Sometimes it can be a month later, and all that are seen are a few lonely swallows circling around in the sky!

It's even more 'miraculous' that the swallows apparently take into account leap days every four years, in exactly the same cycle as the Gregorian calendar :crazy: .

Call me a cynic, but this from wiki, might lead one to suspect some economy with the truth might have benefited certain parties.

A 1915 article in Overland Monthly magazine made note of the birds' annual habit of nesting beneath the Mission's eaves and archways from Spring through Fall, and made the swallows the "signature icon" of the Mission; Father O'Sullivan utilized interest in the phenomenon to generate public interest in restoration efforts during his two decades in residence.

The proximity of March 19th to the equinox is a pure co-incidence of course.

The article that Tero links above gives a pretty good account of the true nature of this "miracle". By divine intervention, money is magically transported out of the wallets of gullible tourists!

Next, asyncritus will be asking us to explain the uncanny ability of groundhogs to predict the weather every year exactly on February 2. Here's the scientific reference for that one:

http://www.groundhog.org/
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#271  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2012 1:30 pm

There's a news story today about swan hatchlings being used as a signal of summer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-17797371

How does that happen then? It's MAGIC!

But yeah, if you look at the records, for many years (of coincidentally stable environmental conditions) they hatch on the same, or very similar days. However, during periods of environmental turbulence, there is quite a lot of variation in the date. This year they hatched the earliest since records began in 1393....

Really, if Async's position had even a shred of integrity, he's want to know how that's possible, given they've been programmed by the Celestial Dictator to hatch on a more median day.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#272  Postby rEvolutionist » May 01, 2012 1:37 pm

Fucking swallows! How do they work??!
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#273  Postby Macdoc » May 01, 2012 1:40 pm

Just open your throat and pour... :drunk:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#274  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2012 1:44 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Fucking swallows! How do they work??!

Swallow flies in, swallow flies out - how does that work?

Ok, pinhead... eels swim in, eels swim out - how does that work?

DNA?

Ok, how'd it get there? Hmm? If you're so sure, then you must know how it got there right?

So tell me. How'd it get there? How does it know?

It is actually Bill O'Reilly!

The shame of having a fellow citizen of the UK maintaining such utter idiocy.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#275  Postby Rumraket » May 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
asyncritus wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
asyncritus wrote: That’s curious, and not consistent with the facts. Let me remind you that the swallows arrive at the specific location in Capistrano on the 18th March precisely, every year, and leave on Oct 23rd.

This is not actually true. You need to deal with facts, and not myths and folklore. That's how science works.

What are you talking about? Time actually has newsreel footage of this happening. The facts about the godwit and the golden plover are in every textbook about bird migration. Go have a look and stop bleating foolishly.

Bleating foolishly.

I posted falsification of this claim 3 years ago.

Why are you regurgitating lies?

Consider the alternative. He's now spend so much time on the internet, being infuriatingly arrogant and provocative, he's written a fucking book on it, and then suddenly there's a chance he could be wrong. That just can't be the case, ever. All that pride, all that effort, all that posturing, huffing and puffing and he was just dead fucking wrong all along. That must be so humiliating to consider, better to just deny it, pretend the possibility doesn't even exist. Better to just declare a fool of people who point it out to him and hope to move on quickly before anyone notices.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#276  Postby Rumraket » May 01, 2012 2:17 pm

asyncritus wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
That’s curious, and not consistent with the facts. Let me remind you that the swallows arrive at the specific location in Capistrano on the 18th March precisely, every year, and leave on Oct 23rd. They must, therefore, have a GPS and a calendar built in somewhere. So

The cliff swallows don't nest at the Mission in Capistrano any longer because the environment changed.

You do admit that they arrive in Capistrano every year, I trust.

The miracle of the "Swallows" of Capistrano takes place each year at the Mission San Juan Capistano, on March 19th, St. Joseph's Day.
http://www.sanjuancapistrano.net/swallows/

So why don't you shove that down your earhole and see where it lands?

They didn't arrive precisely the same date every year nor leave Argentina on precisely the same date every year.

Perhaps headwinds etc may slow them down. But they do arrive, and have done so for the longest time. The tourists, of course, have driven them off. So nuts to your stupid point.

There are large populations of cliff swallows in lower South America that migrate back and forth, to and from the US south west.

Great. So what?

The cliff swallow nests wherever the environment is right. They are all over the place. On cliffs, under bridges, and yes, until the environment changed, under the eves at the mission in Capistrano.

Oh, so they do come to Capistrano. I never mentioned the word Mission. You did. And 'eaves' is the word you're looking for.

They follow a north/south migratory path that is determined by change of seasons and environment.

Don't talk such nonsense.

Only a certain number of birds can nest at any one place so they spread out. If a good place to nest is filled up they move on.

Well, I never. You sure about this profound biological fact?

Cliff swallows use preexisting nests if they can find them, explaining why cliff swallows used the mission at Capistrano, but there is no evidence or reason to believe that they use the same nest year after year, or the same nesting site.

Just in case you have trouble reading what I wrote: I said that they arrive on the 18th March every year (that article said the 19th) from Goya in Argentina. I made no comment about their nesting habits.

But I missed your explanation of how they a. find the place 7,800 miles away, and b. how they get the dates right. You were going to say? Yeah, Shtummmmm.

So effectively you support the fact that they come every year, and leave every year. That right? So how does your magical theory explain those facts? Oh, I know. 'OOHHHH_MMMMM mutations and natural selection'!!! That right?

Also Pacific golden plovers are wide spread across the far north of north America and Asia in summer and winters all over the fucking place, from south Asia to California. They go north in summer and south in winter.

Your ignorance screams loudly.

You did know, didn't you, that there are more than one species of golden plover? The Pacific (Pluvialis fulva which I was talking about), and the American (Pluvialis dominica), which is the one you're probably exhibiting your ignorance about.

The Pacific Golden Plover (Pluvialis fulva), known as the Kolea in Hawaiian, is the most common of Hawai'i's migrant shorebirds, with birds wintering in large numbers in almost all types of available habitat, from coastal pastures and wetlands, to parks and gardens, to the high altitude slopes of Haleakala Crater. Most adult birds return from their Arctic nesting grounds in late July and August, with juveniles following in late September. Most birds then leave by early May, although a few remain throughout the summer. Those birds that decide to stay in Hawai'i throughout the summer months are usually first-year birds. Pacific Golden Plovers do not nest in Hawai'i.
http://www.birdinghawaii.co.uk/XPGPlover2.htm

So, you have misrepresented to species of migratory birds that you seem to no fuck all about, what's next? Oh yeah eels.

I'm happy that you have so correctly represented your ignorance for all to see. Well done.

Funny how this reponse of his doesn't contain any counter-arguments at all. It just contains ridicule and disbelief.

"So why don't you shove that down your earhole and see where it lands?"
This Immediately follows a non-peer reviewed source of no particular consequence to the question at hand.

"Don't talk such nonsense."
Not an argument. Mindless comment.

"Well, I never. You sure about this profound biological fact?"
Not an argument, irrelevant question.

"So effectively you support the fact that they come every year, and leave every year. That right? So how does your magical theory explain those facts? Oh, I know. 'OOHHHH_MMMMM mutations and natural selection'!!! That right?"
Not an argument. Just mindless blathering and trolling.

"Your ignorance screams loudly. "
Not an argument, but a personal insult.

"You did know, didn't you, that there are more than one species of golden plover? The Pacific (Pluvialis fulva which I was talking about), and the American (Pluvialis dominica), which is the one you're probably exhibiting your ignorance about."
More insults and arrogance.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#277  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
asyncritus wrote:Eshuis

Do forgive me for ignoring your future posts unless and until you respond to my demands. If you had a case, that wouldn't be too difficult, but since you don't, I can see the difficulties you're experiencing.

You are tedious, boring, repetitive, and pedantic..

So please carry on with my assurance that I shall not reply unless and until you answer the handful of points mentioned above.

Happy Christmas.

Good job Thomas - this is Async's way of folding. No humility or comprehension of it; he'll just go on repeating the same idiocies ad nauseum.

Thanks, though I'd be more pleased if he'd actually addressed things...
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#278  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:Fucking swallows! How do they work??!

Swallow flies in, swallow flies out - how does that work?

Ok, pinhead... eels swim in, eels swim out - how does that work?

DNA?

Ok, how'd it get there? Hmm? If you're so sure, then you must know how it got there right?

So tell me. How'd it get there? How does it know?

It is actually Bill O'Reilly!

The shame of having a fellow citizen of the UK maintaining such utter idiocy.
Attachments
how-is-825-1297670110-10.jpg
how-is-825-1297670110-10.jpg (62.8 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#279  Postby asyncritus » May 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
asyncritus wrote:
I've shown that you have not made any 'arguments'. I've repeated my demands for you to present your case, in my previous post.
Spearthrower has made a valiant effort, and I commend him for it.

You don't seem to understand, Async. I didn't make an effort, I informed you of the facts.

I'm afraid you're deluding yourself, ST.

You mentioned some of the facts, and ignored those I pointed out, or that you were not aware of, or hadn't thought of.

It's as well that you wrote this one, because I can kill two birds with a single stone, like David and Goliath..hmm, I like that.

Whatever scenarios you (and the writers of the eels paper which I've looked at] can propose, fall severely foul of our good friend Chevalier Jean-Baptiste Pierre Antoine de Monet Lamarck.

The paper on the eels is a very good one, and very thorough in the matters it addresses. It makes the mistake of talking about the phyletic relationships of the various eels (because it assumes the theory of evolution is correct, whereas in point of fact it is not). It spends considerable effort on the various leptocephali, and the eels from many different parts of the world, as well as other technical matters.

You, however, misled me.

I was panting and sweating with excitement at the thought that the paper, which you obviously thought was so important in settling this debate, would address the main thrust of my arguments about both the swallows and the eels.

Which is to say, how the information required by the glass eels to migrate 3000 miles to the north, entered their genome (or wherever it really is).

The best they can offer is that the eels made short migrations, which gradually got longer and longer until we have what we have today.

It depresses me to realise that someone of your undoubted intelligence cannot get to grips with the simple fact that Lamarckism is rampaging unchecked in your (and their) expositions.

If the leptocephali of eel A successfully migrated say 500 miles to the north of the Sargasso, grew up some where and then returned to Sargasso ( floating at 3000 feet depth in an ocean current of some kind) and then died, then THEY COULD NOT PASS THAT ACQUIRED INFORMATION DOWN TO THEIR OWN OFFSPRING who would then have to start from scratch all over again. Why? Because the adults are all as dead as dodos. And because as we all should know, acquired information CANNOT be inherited. PERIOD.

The glass eels of the next generation could go no further than the 500 miles, if that - because they cannot receive any guidance from their dead parents.

So a 3000 mile northward migration, with a return a few years later is inexplicable on any grounds which are not polluted by our Chevalier.

But you can't see that - so rosy-tinted are your evolutionarily optimistic glasses. I think you should really reconsider your position, which is genetically insupportable, and can only succeed if we invoke the Chevalier at every turn , and maybe not even then.

The position with the swallows is identical. If food drives them 500 miles to the north, and they manage to return home alive and breed, then they cannot pass that information down genetically. So a trip of 2,800 miles north/south across the Pacific Ocean in the case of the plovers, or 7000 miles north/south again across the Pacific, in the case of the godwit (nice name, that!), cannot be explained on the accumulation of short-trip frequent flier miles. It's just not on.

It's all or nothing.

I hope you can follow the argument, and for your own sake gainsay it. I can't quite see how, and it will be no reflection on your intelligence if you can't either.

If you can't,then it is really incumbent upon you as a thinking person to seriously reconsider your position with regard to Creation. The astronomers and cosmologists have almost unanimously reached the point where they are compelled by force of the facts to admit that there is a Divine Mind at the back of the creation of the Universe.

In Biology, the most wonderful of the sciences, we have the most dramatic proof of it, because we're not talking about inanimate matter and equations which are only squiggles on pieces of paper. We're talking about the beautiful and wonderful facts about the living world: facts such as those I have raised and countless more besides. Facts which we experience every minute of our lives.

It is a pity if you permit your world-view to close your eyes to the truly wonderful.
asyncritus

Name: Arthur Johnson

Barbados (bb)
Print view this post

#280  Postby Rumraket » May 01, 2012 7:32 pm

asyncritus wrote:If the leptocephali of eel A successfully migrated say 500 miles to the north of the Sargasso, grew up some where and then returned to Sargasso ( floating at 3000 feet depth in an ocean current of some kind) and then died, then THEY COULD NOT PASS THAT ACQUIRED INFORMATION DOWN TO THEIR OWN OFFSPRING who would then have to start from scratch all over again. Why? Because the adults are all as dead as dodos. And because as we all should know, acquired information CANNOT be inherited. PERIOD.

And with this section, your entire post collapses on it's head.

Lets go over your scenario here, with a few minor modifications that correct some elementary mistakes about evolving populations and how inheritance works:
There's a population of Eels that only migrate short distances to breed.
There's variation in the genes controlling the bevaiors of the individuals comprising this population, so some eels migrater further than others do.
They lay eggs too and the offspring grow up with the genes of their parents and so they also have increased migration distance behavior. For whatever reason, those that don't migrate further to lay eegs, preferentially die out. Repeat however many generations required to make the eels migrate the full distance they do today.

That's it, you idiotic strawman defeated. There is in principle nothing that would prevent this scenario from taking place and you know it. Bring the ridicule, bring your incredulity, bring your strawmen. I predict we'll see nothing else.
Rumraket

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism