Beer recipe older than creation

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Beer recipe older than creation

#1  Postby DoctorE » Jul 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Add that to the dildo and stuff :naughty2:

Dogfish Head brewery is known for making exotic beer with ingredients like crystallized ginger or water from Antarctica, so it might not sound surprising that one of its recent creations is a brew flavored simply by grapes and flowers. It's not the recipe that makes this beer so special; it's where that recipe was found: a Neolithic burial site in China.

Chateau Jiahu is a time capsule from 7,000 B.C., but to hear Dogfish Head owner Sam Calagione talk about what beer was actually like back then, it's not the kind of thing that makes you say "Hey, pass me another ice-cold ancient ale!"

"Probably, all beer thousands of years ago — to our modern palates — would have tasted spoiled," Calagione says. "In fact, in a lot of hieroglyphics, people are shown drinking beer using straws because they were trying to avoid the chunks of solids and wild yeast."

So how do you go from "chunks of wild yeast" to a beer that you can get at your local store? You don't start with a brewery. You start with Dr. Patrick McGovern.

Continues: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... 08&ps=cprs
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Beer recipe older than creation

#2  Postby pawiz » Jul 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Of course beer is the first thing created by the FSM. He had a few sips and it all went horribly wrong. 1000 years later after he'd slept of his hangover, he got around to creating the rest of this needless shit.
It is my deeply held belief that (insert name of favored deity here) is a complete fuckwit. Please respect my beliefs.
pawiz

Name: Paul
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby InsertNameHere » Jul 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Dildos and beer. Life must have been pretty fun before creation :lol:
"And he smote his enemies in the hinder parts" (He kicked their asses), Psalm 78:66

Sityl wrote:Intelligent Design: The belief that, even with 3.8 billion years of collecting the change from couch cushions, you'll never get more than a dollar.
InsertNameHere

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan C » Jul 20, 2010 12:32 am

:drunk: :disco:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby klazmon » Jul 20, 2010 1:22 am

Not to mention the godless Chinese also had the audacity to cultivate rice over five thousand years before Yaweh got around to creating the Universe.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Bwian » Jul 21, 2010 7:27 am

So, maybe they mistranslated Genesis and it actually says 'In the beginning, there was Belgium?
Bwian

Name: Arse!

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#7  Postby hotshoe » Jul 21, 2010 7:36 am

I just had another Dogfish Head brew, MIdas Touch, which recreates a 2700 year old recipe. Wonderful. Fairly sweet, a little spicy, not meant to be served ice cold.

If I got a chance to try the Jiahu, I definitely would grab it. It's going to be expensive - more than the cheap wine I drink - but I'm guessing it will be good enough to make it worth it.

And a toast to creation :beer:
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Zombor! » Jul 23, 2010 3:21 am

Dogfish Head is what got me into the whole craft brew craze. Once I tried the 90 minute I was hooked. I love that they're recreating some of the old recipes. I recently had the chance to try the "Sah'tea", a beer brewed with juniper berries and some tea flavors ( I think?), based on French "sahti" beers from the 9th century. Drinking this stuff is a history lesson in itself.
Zombor!

Name: Zombor!
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby hotshoe » Jul 23, 2010 3:30 am

Zombor! wrote:Dogfish Head is what got me into the whole craft brew craze. Once I tried the 90 minute I was hooked. I love that they're recreating some of the old recipes. I recently had the chance to try the "Sah'tea", a beer brewed with juniper berries and some tea flavors ( I think?), based on French "sahti" beers from the 9th century. Drinking this stuff is a history lesson in itself.

Sounds cool. I'll look for that one next time I'm in the big city.
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Wasn't it Sam Harris who lambasted creationists as people who thought that the entire universe was created 2,500 years after the Sumerians learned to brew beer? :mrgreen:

EDIT: I turned that around to "creationists are people who think the universe was created 22,000 years after prehistoric Germans learned to make sex toys". :mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby rJD » Jul 24, 2010 9:36 pm

Let there be light - beer.

And a white wine for the lady. :drunk:
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby jaydot » Jul 26, 2010 5:49 am

Beer recipe older than creation? hardly.
jaydot

Print view this post

#13  Postby robinhood » Jul 26, 2010 6:00 am

were there ass raping space lizards back then too? If not, then who controlled the government? Actual people? lolz
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
robinhood

Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Creationism