How atheist ideology messed up the human origin story

Spin-off from "Dialog on 'Creationists read this' "

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How atheist ideology messed up the human origin story

#2821  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 22, 2019 5:19 am

romansh wrote:
Hermit wrote: … NOMA, both made up to enable theists to believe all currently accepted scientific knowledge in its entirety while simultaneously believing in the existence of a supernatural being, be that being the divine watchmaker type or the interfering busybody type.

Do you have any evidence that Gould did NOMA to enable theists?

You don't have to give NOMA a second thought, just because Gould dreamed it up. It's a reference to the fact that you can't argue someone out of a god-belief just by waving a lot of science at him. I don't know why some people who grew up as theists give up theism as adults; I never had the theist experience. Theism doesn't make a lot of sense from my perspective; I really don't know what it looks like from the theist perspective.

NOMA means that science is not a tool for debunking theism, whatever zoon or Cali have to say about the matter. I can't explain why I reject theism as a formal proposition; beyond citing the goat-roasters, I have things I'd rather think about than that. What I know is that Jayjay doesn't want to argue that point with me; only nominal atheists tend to give me a hard time about it.

Pondering the history of human culture and the current state of individual and social psychology are the only tools we have for investigating the origin of religion and the continuing hold it has on people, including beliefs that atheism has messed up the story of human origins. That's just Jayjay's approach to revising history that he doesn't want to read. Let Jayjay run society and he'd take up book-burning, at which point you'd have to shoot him between the eyes to get him to stop.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2822  Postby Jayjay4547 » Jan 22, 2019 5:46 am

zoon wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
zoon wrote:
Again, I don't see why you consider that the process of evolution by natural selection, as I've very roughly outlined it above, would be incompatible with your version of theism, since you say that you do not expect God to make any purposes he may have apparent to us mortals. There's no apparent guiding purpose behind the functionality which evolution by natural selection produces, and you don't expect to see any apparent guiding purpose in God's creation, so why do you go to the trouble of arguing with the consensus of scientific opinion?

I can’t stand it that so many people can be wrong in the stories they tell about the creation of mankind. And there’s something interesting about the way they are wrong; it’s organic. And that organic structure seems to be explorable in an open-ended way. That's why I don't want to limit exploration by agreeing e.g. that "evolution is true"

The creation is described in terms of evolution through more than just a consensus of scientific opinion, it is authoritative, also in an organic way. Take the concepts of punctuated equilibrium and exaptation; both central to the human creation. Both are associated with Stephen Jay Gould and with also somewhat lesser known (though surely well respected) figures; Niles Eldredge and Elisabeth Vrba. Gould can be seen as having appropriated these potentially dangerous terms to scientific authority and so removed their sting. His later concept of spandrels diverts attention away from the deep functionality of living things. It claims that some changes just happen because something has to happen and it doesn’t matter what that is.

Punctuated equilibrium was immediately recognised as potentially dangerous because it could give comfort to the enemy: it looks a bit like special creation. And its sting was pulled by just categorising it along with phyletic gradualism as one way that evolution can work. Exaptation replaced the politically incorrect term preadaptation. Basically both terms speak to new functionality appearing through structured processes and one can get as spooky or as un-spooky about that, as one likes. The point is that one CAN get spooky. ..

The core of your argument, as I understand you, is given in your comment: “His later concept of spandrels diverts attention away from the deep functionality of living things.” You appear to me to be saying that if attention is focussed on this “deep functionality” of living things, then it will seem more probable that God created them. This is the classic argument from design, that functionality needs a creator. It is somewhat at odds with your claim that you would not presume to say what God’s purposes are, since you are presumably saying that the functionality is good for something, which would be God’s purpose in creating it, assuming He didn’t do it by accident.

While I agree with you that the functionality of living things at all levels is astonishing, there is also more than enough evidence that it is entirely the result of evolution by natural selection, with no input from any creator. Calilasseia has a fine collection of relevant papers.

If you want to be spooky without clashing with science, you could say that God is out there and active, but choosing to keep his purposes hidden by following the laws of physics without exception.

I think God’s purposes are hidden from us because it’s the nature of lower elements in organism not to know the purpose of the higher. My pancreas doesn’t know why I go to town today.
I admit that a confounding problem with the notion of human embeddedness in hierarchy, is that human intelligence seems to us to have a hierarchy - flattening quality; we imagine there is nothing we can’t figure out. However that may be, we sure haven’t yet figured out what is going down on planet Earth.
Jayjay4547

Name: Jonathan
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#2823  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 22, 2019 5:49 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
I think God’s purposes are hidden from us because it’s the nature of lower elements in organism not to know the purpose of the higher. My pancreas doesn’t know why I go to town today.

Trees don't have any purposes that people don't attribute to them. Beyond that, trees function in various ways; they have intakes and outputs, same as humans. Everyone has to eat. Your silly attempts at theology and philosophy are banal and tedious.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2824  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 22, 2019 6:36 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
zoon wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
zoon wrote:
Again, I don't see why you consider that the process of evolution by natural selection, as I've very roughly outlined it above, would be incompatible with your version of theism, since you say that you do not expect God to make any purposes he may have apparent to us mortals. There's no apparent guiding purpose behind the functionality which evolution by natural selection produces, and you don't expect to see any apparent guiding purpose in God's creation, so why do you go to the trouble of arguing with the consensus of scientific opinion?

I can’t stand it that so many people can be wrong in the stories they tell about the creation of mankind. And there’s something interesting about the way they are wrong; it’s organic. And that organic structure seems to be explorable in an open-ended way. That's why I don't want to limit exploration by agreeing e.g. that "evolution is true"

The creation is described in terms of evolution through more than just a consensus of scientific opinion, it is authoritative, also in an organic way. Take the concepts of punctuated equilibrium and exaptation; both central to the human creation. Both are associated with Stephen Jay Gould and with also somewhat lesser known (though surely well respected) figures; Niles Eldredge and Elisabeth Vrba. Gould can be seen as having appropriated these potentially dangerous terms to scientific authority and so removed their sting. His later concept of spandrels diverts attention away from the deep functionality of living things. It claims that some changes just happen because something has to happen and it doesn’t matter what that is.

Punctuated equilibrium was immediately recognised as potentially dangerous because it could give comfort to the enemy: it looks a bit like special creation. And its sting was pulled by just categorising it along with phyletic gradualism as one way that evolution can work. Exaptation replaced the politically incorrect term preadaptation. Basically both terms speak to new functionality appearing through structured processes and one can get as spooky or as un-spooky about that, as one likes. The point is that one CAN get spooky. ..

The core of your argument, as I understand you, is given in your comment: “His later concept of spandrels diverts attention away from the deep functionality of living things.” You appear to me to be saying that if attention is focussed on this “deep functionality” of living things, then it will seem more probable that God created them. This is the classic argument from design, that functionality needs a creator. It is somewhat at odds with your claim that you would not presume to say what God’s purposes are, since you are presumably saying that the functionality is good for something, which would be God’s purpose in creating it, assuming He didn’t do it by accident.

While I agree with you that the functionality of living things at all levels is astonishing, there is also more than enough evidence that it is entirely the result of evolution by natural selection, with no input from any creator. Calilasseia has a fine collection of relevant papers.

If you want to be spooky without clashing with science, you could say that God is out there and active, but choosing to keep his purposes hidden by following the laws of physics without exception.

I admit that a confounding problem with the notion of human embeddedness in hierarchy, is that human intelligence seems to us to have a hierarchy - flattening quality; we imagine there is nothing we can’t figure out. However that may be, we sure haven’t yet figured out what is going down on planet Earth.

QED points 1 through 4. :coffee:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2825  Postby Hermit » Jan 22, 2019 7:33 am

romansh wrote:
Hermit wrote: … NOMA, both made up to enable theists to believe all currently accepted scientific knowledge in its entirety while simultaneously believing in the existence of a supernatural being, be that being the divine watchmaker type or the interfering busybody type.

Do you have any evidence that Gould did NOMA to enable theists?

No. Gould did not NOMA to enable theists. He just made a process modern theists used in one form or another to simultaneously believe in the existence of a supernatural entity and everything science has to offer explicit, and labelled it.

I have not heard of non-overlapping magisteria until decades after I've experienced it out in the wild. That comes from being raised by two practising Catholics in a very catholic social environment during the late 1950s to the late 1960s. Nobody had a label for it at the time. Not our chaplains, not our priests, not our bishop, not our catholic relatives, not our catholic friends, not our congregations. Yet 95% of them accepted evolution and basically the entire scientific kit and caboodle even as they attended mass.

Gould first mentioned NOMA in 1997.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#2826  Postby Jayjay4547 » Jan 22, 2019 7:42 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:

Trees don't have any purposes that people don't attribute to them. Beyond that, trees function in various ways; they have intakes and outputs, same as humans. Everyone has to eat. Your silly attempts at theology and philosophy are banal and tedious.

It's layers of organism all the way down. And looking up, it looks the same
Jayjay4547

Name: Jonathan
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#2827  Postby Hermit » Jan 22, 2019 7:54 am

Cito di Pense wrote:You don't have to give NOMA a second thought, just because Gould dreamed it up. It's a reference to the fact that you can't argue someone out of a god-belief just by waving a lot of science at him.

Exactly right.

By the same token NOMA enables theists to accept everything science has to offer without it causing a hint of tension, let alone irreconcilable contradiction, between the secular and the divine spheres.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#2828  Postby zulumoose » Jan 22, 2019 8:19 am

NOMA enables theists to accept everything science has to offer without it causing a hint of tension

As long as they can remain comfortable with the obvious contradiction that science illustrates the need for evaluation of evidence, the value of objectivity, the nature of bias, and the types of thinking and evidence that tend to lead towards or away from truth.

Once familiar with the very good reasons and methodologies involved in identifying and dismissing invalid/misleading evidence types and faulty thinking when searching for truth, it takes a certain amount of wilful ignorance to remain convinced by religious arguments.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#2829  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 22, 2019 8:48 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:

Green passes the temperature angrily.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2830  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 22, 2019 8:54 am

Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:You don't have to give NOMA a second thought, just because Gould dreamed it up. It's a reference to the fact that you can't argue someone out of a god-belief just by waving a lot of science at him.

Exactly right.

By the same token NOMA enables theists to accept everything science has to offer without it causing a hint of tension, let alone irreconcilable contradiction, between the secular and the divine spheres.

IOW, people have theistic beliefs because they want to. Their reasons for wanting to are all over the map, but nobody gets credit for much else automatically just because he or she wants it, unless it involves social justice or chocolate.

I think theists' own inclinations and their faith communities enable what they're doing, in the sense of being enablers.

The NOMA concept is used much more often by non-theists who just don't feel like giving theists a hard time, and want to sound literate. I don't think accepting scientific conclusions requires much license, even for theists within their faith communities. It's a political matter to try to decide what's taught in school, and NOMA would not suffice to justify that.

How is directing tax revenue toward religious institutions actually justified, in societies where that happens? NOMA?

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2831  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 22, 2019 8:57 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:

You're inventing your own significance for layers, as Thomas amusingly points out, unless you think the biosphere is a cake of some kind. Maybe you could say a little bit about why you'd say humans are the frosting on the cake. It's not really the cake that supports the frosting, to continue your metaphor. You can have frosting and ice cream, without the cake or cake with no frosting at all. And you can have the rest of the biosphere without humans. Don't miss my meaning, here.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2832  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 22, 2019 8:59 am

He is talking the biggest load of crap and he knows it. Why do you guys entertain him.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2833  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 22, 2019 8:59 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:He is talking the biggest load of crap and he knows it. Why do you guys entertain him.

We entertain ourselves, Scot. Are you not entertained? If you're not entertained, don't blame anyone but yourself. It's not anyone's job to entertain you. Talk about being trapped in the house and bored on a rainy Sunday.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2834  Postby Hermit » Jan 22, 2019 9:18 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Exactly right.

IOW, people have theistic beliefs because they want to. Their reasons for wanting to are all over the map, but nobody gets credit for much else automatically just because he or she wants it, unless it involves social justice or chocolate.

I think theists' own inclinations and their faith communities enable what they're doing, in the sense of being enablers.

The NOMA concept is used much more often by non-theists who just don't feel like giving theists a hard time, and want to sound literate. I don't think accepting scientific conclusions requires much license, even for theists within their faith communities. It's a political matter to try to decide what's taught in school, and NOMA would not suffice to justify that.

How is directing tax revenue toward religious institutions actually justified, in societies where that happens? NOMA?

WTF? Right now you've either gone off your meds or you are stoned off your tits.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#2835  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 22, 2019 9:19 am

Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Exactly right.

WTF? Right now you've either gone off your meds or you are stoned off your tits.

What's your position? Don't just toss a spitball at the teacher if you contest the lesson.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2836  Postby Hermit » Jan 22, 2019 9:21 am

zulumoose wrote:
NOMA enables theists to accept everything science has to offer without it causing a hint of tension

As long as they can remain comfortable with the obvious contradiction that science illustrates the need for evaluation of evidence, the value of objectivity, the nature of bias, and the types of thinking and evidence that tend to lead towards or away from truth.

They are comfortable with their ideology/worldview precisely because they see no contradiction in it. If they did and decided to do something about it, they'd either become atheists or religious fundamentalists.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#2837  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 22, 2019 9:28 am

Hermit wrote:
zulumoose wrote:

They are comfortable with their ideology/worldview precisely because they see no contradiction in it. If they did and decided to do something about it, they'd either become atheists or religious fundamentalists.

Not everyone is compulsively dedicated to resolving every contradiction they experience or have pointed out to them by people who may not really have the requisite training to identify contradictions rigorously.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2838  Postby Hermit » Jan 22, 2019 9:36 am

Cito di Pense wrote:What's your position? Don't just toss a spitball at the teacher if you contest the lesson.

You feel you're a teacher with a lesson now? :lol:

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#2839  Postby zulumoose » Jan 22, 2019 9:44 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:
zulumoose wrote:

Not everyone is compulsively dedicated to resolving every contradiction they experience or have pointed out to them by people who may not really have the requisite training to identify contradictions rigorously.

I wasn't making a point about contradictions within religion. I was saying that accepting scientific principles as valid means understanding that the kind of evidence and thinking that leads to religious belief is invalid, and that represents a contradiction.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#2840  Postby Hermit » Jan 22, 2019 9:48 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:
zulumoose wrote:

Not everyone is compulsively dedicated to resolving every contradiction they experience or have pointed out to them...

Quite. Especially when they don't "experience" any even after others attempt to draw their attention to them. No feeling of experiencing contradiction is not exactly sufficient cause for becoming compulsively dedicated to resolving them.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism