How atheist ideology messed up the human origin story

Spin-off from "Dialog on 'Creationists read this' "

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How atheist ideology messed up the human origin story

#4261  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 07, 2019 7:11 am

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... l#p2718657

Spearthrower wrote:What JJ's doing is typical of all Creationists - they all want ancient hominids either to be apes or to be humans, not something transitional. JJ's trying to make the australopithecines more like humans behaviorally and consequently he needs their anatomy to be more modern too, so he simply waves his hand over it all. Unfortunately, this is where he leaves his credibility mewling on the ground as no one with half a clue can possibly take it seriously. Anatomy doesn't conform to arguments: arguments must conform to anatomy.

From hand weapons to hill forts in one quick hop.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4262  Postby newolder » Nov 07, 2019 9:46 am

Via BBC Science & Environment link:
'Astonishing' fossil ape discovery revealed

Fossils of a newly-discovered ancient ape could give clues to how and when walking on two legs evolved.

The ability to walk upright is considered a key characteristic of being human.

The ape had arms suited to hanging in the trees, but human-like legs.

It may have walked along branches and even on the ground some 12 million years ago, pushing back the timeline for bipedal walking, say researchers.

Until now the earliest fossil evidence for walking upright dates back to six million years ago.

The four fossils - of a male, two females and a juvenile - were unearthed in a clay pit in Bavaria between 2015 and 2018.

...continues at link...

The most complete individual:

Atheist ideology, my arse.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#4263  Postby zoon » Nov 07, 2019 10:37 am

It does seem to me that all these discussions with Jayjay4547 can be short-circuited by pointing out that A. afarensis could climb trees to escape all its main predators, including leopards. Would you agree (addressing Spearthrower)?

Jayjay4547’s starting point is the assertion that A. afarensis, because it could not run away fast like gazelles, needed some alternative tactic against predators. The answer is that A. afarensis stayed near trees and had a perfectly good alternative tactic: running upwards.

Its true that leopards can climb trees, but a modern chimpanzee, if necessary, can climb far enough out along thin branches to make a chase unsafe for leopards: this is where chimps build their sleeping platforms. A. afarensis was roughly the same weight as a modern chimp, and could climb well enough to use the same escape route. End of argument?

(I’ve been joining in this thread largely because of a niggling feeling that Jayjay4547 had a reasonable argument in so far as if A. afarensis had been stuck at ground level, then it would indeed have been in real trouble from the big cats. All the highly reasonable arguments about the unlikelihood of their making weapons didn’t address that background difficulty?)

(Newolder’s post #4262 above, with the evidence that australopithecines were descended from arboreal primates with upright stance, reinforces my contention that they would probably have used trees as a default refuge from predation?)
zoon

Print view this post

#4264  Postby felltoearth » Nov 07, 2019 10:46 am

zoon wrote:End of argument?

One would think. Why are we even arguing? JJ has no evidence. It’s his argument to make based on evidence.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4265  Postby zoon » Nov 07, 2019 11:23 am

felltoearth wrote:
zoon wrote:End of argument?

One would think. Why are we even arguing? JJ has no evidence. It’s his argument to make based on evidence.

There’s no evidence that they made weapons, but there’s plenty of evidence that they walked on the ground and could not run fast enough to escape lions or leopards in the way that most of the animals of the open savannah escape them. To say, entirely correctly, that there’s no evidence they made or used weapons doesn’t in itself answer the question of how they avoided being eaten, and this has been at the back of my mind. It does seem to me that the most likely simple answer is that they used the same basic method as modern chimpanzees in similar environments: they stayed reasonably near trees and climbed them when necessary. It’s also probable that they shared other behaviours of modern chimps and other prey species, such as mobbing and building sleeping platforms.
zoon

Print view this post

#4266  Postby zoon » Nov 07, 2019 3:58 pm

Jayjay4547 wrote:
zoon wrote:….

You duck the issue in this thought experiment by having the leopard ignore both trees and hunt for a gazelle instead. Busse (1980) reported repeated attacks by leopard on baboons roosting in tall trees in the Moremi reserve of Botswana.

Not to seem to be forcing you to address the issue, it looks to me that the outcome of this experiment is clear: IF we assume that australopithecus had climbed the tree unarmed, then the leopard would have attacked them in preference to the baboons because, lacking fangy canines they would have been helpless and lacking four hands, they could not have “assumed the position” of hanging from terminal branches, like this hapless lone baboon. It would have been like eating popcorn, so that scenario is invalid.

Two hands are enough for hanging from branches. That baboon’s canine teeth weren’t helping it.

Jayjay4547 wrote:…..
I know Spearthrower has “pointed out” that leopards are ambush hunters but I don’t know where he gets that from. Consider Busses’ accounts, where a leopard might hunt baboons in a tree for a whole night. What could have been going on there? The baboons would have known all about the leopard. I suppose it was waiting for something to turn up. Some poor baboon, after hanging from twigs in a stressed position, might make a desperate effort to find another refuge. Another baboon relegated by its status to twigs that here already damaged from a few nights ago, might lose its hold. So for the leopard, it was like a chess game, with the additional enjoyment of terrifying its prey and the prospect of warm blood and crunching bones before the morning. It seems to me that the leopard uses open terror rather than ambushing.

Surely you are right that afarensis was descended from successful primates, but we have to look at the mechanics of how they could have been successful. What would be the point of wariness, nest building and “occasional” mobbing if they didn’t also bring something sharp to the party? Or something heavy and blunt. Or both.

The leopards were “terrorising” a whole group of baboons, and the baboons’ canine teeth made no difference. It seems to be generally agreed that leopards stalk or ambush their prey. Quoting a not especially authoritative source here:
The leopard's hunting technique is to either ambush its prey or to stalk it. In either instance, it tries to get as close as possible to its target. It then makes a brief and explosive charge (up to 60km/h), pouncing on its prey and dispatching it with a bite to the neck. Leopards do not have the aptitude to chase their quarry over any kind of distance and will give up if the initial element of surprise is lost and the intended victim gets away.
These big cats eat a variety of food, from wildebeest to fish, but most of their diet comes in the form of antelope. Baboons and leopards appear to be ancient enemies. Leopards will often stalk baboons sleeping in the trees at night, and try to carry off one of the troop.

Baboons survive successfully, in spite of leopards raiding them at night. I expect that leopards, or similar big cats, did eat A. afarensis fairly regularly. Again, the baboons’ canine teeth are making no difference to the leopards, and the smaller but still noticeable canine teeth of A. afarensis would probably not have made any difference either. Baboons try to find sleeping sites which are tricky for leopards to reach, and leopards don’t attack them every night, presumably because they are not very easy to catch. The same was probably true for A. afarensis. Quoting from the abstract here of a 2018 paper describing a study where tracking collars had been put on leopards and baboons:
Collared leopards visited riverine sites more frequently than cliffside sites, whereas most baboon groups strongly preferred cliffside sites, suggesting that leopard visits were often due to factors other than baboon presence, and that baboons used cliffside sites to reduce their risk of leopard predation.

Jayjay4547 wrote:
zoon wrote: I do grant you that it cannot be 100% proved that A. afarensis was not routinely sharpening sticks with unmodified stones, but this does not in itself constitute an argument for claiming that they did, which was where my “writing on parchment” analogy came in. It’s a matter of looking at the balance of probabilities from indirect evidence.

The evidence for Australopithecus having been fully adapted into defensive hand weapon use comes from its teeth, feet, lack of predator avoidance skills possessed by alternative prey, the habits of its predators and the peculiar faculties of speech and coevolution with objects, of us their descendants. It doesn’t depend on finding fossilised wooden weapons.

The teeth were largely irrelevant; leopards try to catch individual baboons and chimpanzees, and are not intimidated by their teeth. Leopards may be intimidated, or at least discouraged, by large groups of baboons or chimps, and a gang of a couple of dozen A. afarensis, with still noticeable canines, would have had enough teeth, hands and feet between them to be as worrying to a leopard as a group of baboons.

Their feet would not have prevented A. afarensis from climbing trees and going out on to branches which were too thin to be safe for a leopard. The evidence is that A. afarensis stayed near trees, quite possibly in part because they would have been hopelessly vulnerable to various predators without that refuge nearby.

They did have an entirely respectable predator avoidance skill: climbing up trees. They would also have had warning calls, and probably mobbed smaller predators such as leopards.

The big predators like lions stayed on the ground and climbing up trees would have been a secure method of avoidance. Leopards climb trees and would have been more difficult to avoid, but modern chimpanzees, which are in the same weight range as A. afarensis, can climb out on to branches which are too thin for a leopard to be safe; there is every reason to suppose A. afarensis could do the same.

Speech makes no difference to tree climbing abilities, and tool-using actively gets in the way.

The evidence against A. afarensis being adapted into the use of hand weapons comes from their anatomy and the total absence of any shaped stones associated with them in the fossil record. This is in the context of the fact that they did not need weapons for defence against predators, they stayed near trees and could climb.
zoon

Print view this post

#4267  Postby Sendraks » Nov 07, 2019 5:19 pm

zoon wrote:It does seem to me that all these discussions with Jayjay4547 can be short-circuited by pointing out that A. afarensis could climb trees to escape all its main predators, including leopards. Would you agree (addressing Spearthrower)?

Oh this was all pointed out to JayJay an age back but, he wouldn't accept it. He's fully prepared to ignore any evidence if it conflicts with his assumed conclusions.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#4268  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 07, 2019 7:23 pm

newolder wrote:
The most complete individual:

What a great find!

Really excited to have a look into this next week as I'll be meeting some friends who know their shit on non-human primates.

Still, the most interesting aspect of this is not bipedalism - Ardipithecus already threw the origin of bipedalism in our lineage up in the air with the general consensus being that it is an ancient ape trait (meaning other extant great apes have evolved terrestrial quadrupedalism) although this find obviously helps push that origin waaaay back - what's really intriguing is that this new specimen is from Europe.

Now we've got to find something in the 6 million year gap between Danuvius and Ardipithecus to see what the fuck happened in that time! :)

Always another gap, evolutionists!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4269  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 07, 2019 7:33 pm

zoon wrote:It does seem to me that all these discussions with Jayjay4547 can be short-circuited by pointing out that A. afarensis could climb trees to escape all its main predators, including leopards. Would you agree (addressing Spearthrower)?

I would confidently say that it would be very odd for them to retain so many traits that are suited to arboreality without using them at all.

zoon wrote:Jayjay4547’s starting point is the assertion that A. afarensis, because it could not run away fast like gazelles, needed some alternative tactic against predators.

And the response, of course, is that this must also then be considered true of all primates as none of them can run away fast like gazelles. JJ wants it to be 'teeth', but even he's joined the party of debunking his own arguments by repeatedly referencing a few instances of leopards climbing trees to attack baboons which have, to use a JJism, some of the most impressively frightening canines of all primates. Yeah, he hasn't noticed his self-contradiction yet - give him a break, he's busy overthrowing all empirical knowledge with fanciful speculation - it's quite a task.

zoon wrote: The answer is that A. afarensis stayed near trees and had a perfectly good alternative tactic: running upwards.

Yup, and lived in big groups with lots of eyes, and lots of bodies. When faced with something too dangerous, they fled. When they spotted something that could be overcome with mobbing, they mobbed. This worked sufficiently well that they didn't all die, but not so well that none of them ever died. You know, like with all other prey - predator interactions

zoon wrote:Its true that leopards can climb trees, but a modern chimpanzee, if necessary, can climb far enough out along thin branches to make a chase unsafe for leopards: this is where chimps build their sleeping platforms. A. afarensis was roughly the same weight as a modern chimp, and could climb well enough to use the same escape route. End of argument?

Awww bless your optimism! :grin:

zoon wrote:(I’ve been joining in this thread largely because of a niggling feeling that Jayjay4547 had a reasonable argument in so far as if A. afarensis had been stuck at ground level, then it would indeed have been in real trouble from the big cats.

I'd respond that even gorillas are in real trouble from big cats; it's not by random chance that they live deep in the jungle where the biggest cats aren't typically found. Leopards, while punching above their weight, really can't compare to lions or packs of hyenas.

zoon wrote: All the highly reasonable arguments about the unlikelihood of their making weapons didn’t address that background difficulty?)

I think it's perfectly reasonable that they picked up shit and waved it around, tossed it about, and generally did whatever they could to distract and drive off something like a leopard. But I don't think it's serious to have them acting like hoplites in gladiatorial combat with large felines - that's just contrived nonsense.

zoon wrote:(Newolder’s post #4262 above, with the evidence that australopithecines were descended from arboreal primates with upright stance, reinforces my contention that they would probably have used trees as a default refuge from predation?)

Bipedalism and arboreality are not contradictions as some... *looks squinty-eyed at the Creationist*... suppose. Walking upright on branches using your hands to hold other branches is very versatile, and gives you some benefits like being able to pick fruit from branches you otherwise wouldn't be able to reach. No spear manufacturing and phalanx formation required.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4270  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 07, 2019 7:35 pm

zoon wrote:Two hands are enough for hanging from branches. That baboon’s canine teeth weren’t helping it.

Whoops... look JJ, even Zoon's learned already to watch the hand attempting to pocket the rabbit.

You're going to need to find another job as street-magician-cum-palaeoanthropologist is just not paying off! :)

Your entire post there is eminently reasonable Zoon, which means JJ is going to reject all of it in preference for some cartoony mental sketch he wants to sell you.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4271  Postby zoon » Nov 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
zoon wrote:
I’m somewhat baffled by what you are saying here, I think I’m misunderstanding you somewhere. You seem to be claiming that tool use cannot evolve incrementally,...

No, I am saying that tool use did not evolve incrementally until much later in the Homo genus.

zoon wrote:... you almost appear to be claiming that evolution by natural selection cannot happen at all, but obviously you are not.

I am not sure how you can read that, but I would hazard a guess that you're operating under a notion of strong adaptationism that I don't buy into. Not all traits are adaptations. The vast majority of evolution is neutral through genetic drift which offers neither survival benefit nor malus. Further, I would stress that adapation means there's a strong selective pressure leveraging a particular useful trait. I don't think afarensis presents such a case from the context of its anatomy and apparent behavior.

I think I was misunderstanding your use of the word “innovation”; I was assuming it would refer to biological, evolutionary changes as well as to cultural ones, while you were confining it to cultural changes. When you wrote that A. afarensis showed no innovation, I took that as saying that they didn’t evolve, which stumped me, as it seems at least possible that they did evolve into other species such as A. africanus.

Spearthrower wrote:
zoon wrote: You say there is a situation where “afarensis are employing tools which already suit their morphology reasonably well”, and appear to be dismissing the possibility that a mutation may arise which enables them to employ those same tools a little better?

Employing the same tools a little better doesn't mean it helps them employ other entirely different tools. I'm afraid this is another one of JJ's misleading ideas that might have snuck under your radar; it might be useful to consider tool use as an abstract in comparative terms between species, but tools are not abstract, they have very specific functions and very particular uses which don't automatically translate to other functions or other uses. I've made it clear already that expanding tool use versatility, and particularly tool manufacture, is predominantly cognitive, not anatomical. So I think it's worth remembering the Hopeful Monster notion where multiple mutations all need to occur concurrently in order to get the desired notional 'adaptation'.

zoon wrote: Such a mutation would be selected for, and after a few such mutations are fixed in the population, and after a few such mutations are fixed in the population,...

For me, that doesn't stand to reason. How much of a selection pressure is there on that particular tool use?

Take those chimpanzees cracking nuts. How many chimpanzees actually crack nuts in that manner? How often do they use that kind of tool to crack a nut? How much of their routine nutrition do they get from cracking nuts? How much actual benefit in nut-cracking can a notional mutation offer? Does that mutation carry any other costs associated with it?

Even more obviously beneficial mutations don't automatically become fixed; there needs to be strong selective pressure to drive an adaptation to fixity.

zoon wrote: the possibility of using a new tool with the new morphology might arise?

Like I said: it's an abstracted tool.

Let's imagine my population gets continually adapts over generations to get better at smacking nuts with a hand-axe stone, how did this eventually offer me any benefit in using a completely different tool in a completely different manner?

It might let me use a similar tool in a similar manner, but then why couldn't my population already do that?

A different tool in a different manner is not something that is innovated by anatomy, but by cognition.

zoon wrote: Isn’t this the way natural selection works, for any trait?

I am not a strong adaptationist. This is a massive discussion that wouldn't be easy to do justice even if we had a thread specifically focused on it and time to delve into it deeply.

If you'd like to read up on the opposite position - which I am not saying I am firmly encamped in - then you'll find this paper gives you a great foundation:

https://faculty.washington.edu/lynnhank ... wontin.pdf

The Spandrels of San Marco and the Panglossian Paradigm: A Critique of the Adaptationist Programme. Gould & Lewontin, 1979

To answer your question though: the usage of the word 'trait' is problematic. If by 'trait' you mean an adaptation, then yes of course that trait has been selected for... that's kind of definitional, but traits aren't all adaptive - most traits are highly variable in any given population, so it's hard to see how they could all be adaptive yet also be mutually exclusive. There are plenty of tools and techniques employed for determining whether a given trait is adaptive or not, but we're moving outside my ability to talk knowledgeably about it and I can only refer you to discussion papers. I studied Human Evolution, not Evolutionary Biology. ;)

zoon wrote: You say “there's no innovation in tool manufacture or usage in most species, afarensis included”, but presumably at some point a sub-population of afarensis evolved into africanus, which has a different hand and wrist morphology (if I’ve understood your post #4214, requoted in #4235), better suited to manipulation, is this not innovation?

Woof... there's a lot to unpack in there! :grin:

First, let me just nitpick something: there is no 'point' at which X population evolves into Y population except in a Platonic taxonomic sense: in reality, there's a chaotic mess of DNA representing a pool of a wider population, some of that pool is being pulled one way, some may be being pulled another way, but traits are aggregates. Assuming africanus evolved from afarensis, then there'd be an as-yet undiscovered intermediary possessing some of the traits associated with africanus retained among traits possessed by afarensis... but that individual fossil would represent only a single snapshot of a wider population possessing variable traits.

Second, to go back to an earlier point, I think it's vital to remember that there are ways particular anatomy can be employed and many types of tools and means of using those tools, so a given range of functions might (through grip and precision) open up the ability to use old tools in better ways, use old tools in new ways, or use completely new tools, but that doesn't mean any of them are automatically going to be used in any of those ways - it certainly doesn't mean that the tools need to 'evolve'. For me, the missing ingredient here is the cognitive aspect of tool use - it's not just hand anatomy, or wrists, or bipedality... there's a fundamental cognitive component here that can't be overlooked while focusing solely on morphology.

Thirdly, I refer back again to the problems of adaptationism. How much benefit accrues from a given trait being selected for to become adaptive? I think the use of any particular anatomical feature has to be considered holistically. A hand isn't just being used to hold a branch and therefore climb a tree, it is also being used to pick a fruit, to peel spines off of it, to break that fruit into manageable pieces, to carry that fruit, to place that fruit into the mouth... the hand is also being used to groom one's fellows and oneself, to grab insects etc. etc.... in short, to perform a range of functions, all of which may be presenting competing selective pressures as particular anatomy may be preferable one way for one function, but another for another use. So then we'd perhaps need to look at which is offering the most survival benefit, if the trait is meant to be seen as adaptive. Which is the most important for the possessor of it to succeed in passing its DNA onto the next generation. I think what we would typically expect is some kind of Frankenstein - a hand suited to all of them, but not specialized in any to the detriment of the others. Across a population, the variability here may mean some individuals are better at peeling while others are better at smashing and others are peerless climbers, but a constrained range of anatomy has to support all these mild specializations.

Finally, I think to really dig in here, we need to look very closely at the technology being discussed because I think it's not necessarily the case that everyone's familiar with it. For example, I've already pointed out that chimpanzees can accidentally create flakes while bashing hammer and anvil stones. Chimps can then also use those flakes for other purposes. This isn't quite as sophisticated as Oldowan technology, but it is very close - Oldowan industry is extremely crude, and it doesn't change for a million years; there are perfectly respectable arguments made that it is cognitively equivalent to the haphazard, unplanned results of chimps bashing rocks, that Oldowan as a method is basically ex tempore fortune and really not a manufacturing process at all. Acheulean technology is a little more sophisticated, but then again doesn't change for a million years. There is no apparent innovation occurring here - the techniques stay largely the same across vast tracts of the world for hundreds of thousands of years. So again, we're not seeing innovation - that comes later with Mode III tools which are clearly superior versions of Mode II - they're obviously worked, they are obviously planned, and they are obviously innovations, and consequently we see massive variability in tools and tool use explode at this point.

Yes, I was being incautious in the way Gould was fulminating against in the celebrated 1979 article which you link to. As you say, australopithecines almost certainly were using tools (as do chimps), but not nearly enough to drive changes in the morphology of their hands and wrists, given all the other things they were using their hands for. Would you regard it as “adaptationist” in Gould’s pejorative sense to say that several features of the hands of Homo erectus evidently evolved through natural selection as adaptations for improved general manipulation?
zoon

Print view this post

#4272  Postby zoon » Nov 07, 2019 9:09 pm

Sendraks wrote:

Oh this was all pointed out to JayJay an age back but, he wouldn't accept it. He's fully prepared to ignore any evidence if it conflicts with his assumed conclusions.

Entirely possible, but Jayjay4547 did get me wondering just how australopithecines managed not to be popcorn for the larger predators, especially leopards.

I did discuss australopithecines climbing trees in this thread some time ago, but at that time I thought it would only be useful for escaping lions and hyenas, and would not help with leopards, which can also climb. It wasn’t until I came across the piece on chimpanzee nests (linked in post #4245, also linked again here) that it dawned on me that chimps can climb far enough out on tree branches to make it unsafe for a leopard to follow them. A. afarensis was about the weight of a chimpanzee, so it could presumably do the same, which meant that any nearby tree was a potential refuge even from leopards. As Jayjay4547’s video (in post #4251 here) of the leopard chasing a baboon out of a tree shows, it wasn’t invariably safe, but I do note that the leopard in that video was looking distinctly uncomfortable while it was scrambling around in the tree. Also, the leopard eventually caught the baboon by jumping out of the tree from the level where the baboon had been; I suspect that the baboon hadn’t chosen a high enough branch, because a leopard wouldn’t risk jumping from a height which would be likely to lead to broken bones.
zoon

Print view this post

#4273  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 07, 2019 9:32 pm

zoon wrote:I think I was misunderstanding your use of the word “innovation”; I was assuming it would refer to biological, evolutionary changes as well as to cultural ones, while you were confining it to cultural changes. When you wrote that A. afarensis showed no innovation, I took that as saying that they didn’t evolve, which stumped me, as it seems at least possible that they did evolve into other species such as A. africanus.

Ahhh I see - yeah, that explains the miscommunication. I didn't mean to suggest anything biological; I personally would always try to avoid using teleological language when it comes to evolution. I meant innovation in terms of tool use or manufacture.

I firmly believe that species are always evolving, that it's not possible ever to stop... the Caucus Race of running just as fast as you can even if it's just to stay where you are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Queen_hypothesis

zoon wrote:Yes, I was being incautious in the way Gould was fulminating against in the celebrated 1979 article which you link to.

I like Gould because he was a shit-stirrer, and I think it's always good to have someone really knowledgeable be prepared to attack prevailing paradigms - someone should always be kicking the tyres. I actually don't agree with him on many things, or rather, I think he oversold the case on many of his most well known positions, but I also think that was kind of the point... he didn't want to just make a mild suggestion, he wanted to push back hard. The basic premises are all sound though.

zoon wrote: As you say, australopithecines almost certainly were using tools (as do chimps), but not nearly enough to drive changes in the morphology of their hands and wrists, given all the other things they were using their hands for.

Right, and this was one of the many blunt assertions JJ has repeated dozens of times without ever listening to why its such a poor idea: australopithecines were categorically not 'perfectly adapted to hand weapon use' or whatever the term he preferred each time he cited himself. It's just plain wrong. Modern humans are also not adapted to hand weapon use, nor to any particular tool - we're cognitively adapted to tool use; for most of our history, we used our minds to create tools that fit our hands, not the other way round. More recently, we've broken that boundary and can build tools which don't need any of our meat to interfere with them as they're much higher precision without us. They also were created with our minds, along with the computers, software, algorithms and numerous precision parts which allow them to perform the task our minds want to attain.

zoon wrote:Would you regard it as “adaptationist” in Gould’s pejorative sense to say that several features of the hands of Homo erectus evidently evolved through natural selection as adaptations for improved general manipulation?

I honestly don't know exactly where I'd fall on this; I definitely don't share Gould's most extreme positions on adaptation as I still think there are perfectly valid adaptationist accounts - it's only a problem when such accounts are applied to every trait.

I think I would be more comfortable falling on the side of the paradigm where our ancestors adapted cognitively to tool use, and then created tools to suit our morphology rather than on the side saying that our morphology becoming more adapted to using tools. The reason I am discontent with the latter is that 'tools' is just a huge category of potentially competing selective drivers each of which may offer only the most minimal of competitive advantage or selective pressure; there's just a massive hypothetical space of many plausibly useful things we could employ and benefit from. Our ancestors didn't delve very far into that space, they opted to develop tools that already fit the bits they had, and then developed those tools to even better fit those bits. It's not implausible that our ancestor's hands became more dexterous through frequent tool use if they we're using tools in ways other species use anatomy, but I feel it would take a long time given the competing forces on that morphology. An idea (technique) can spread through a small population much more quickly than all the only slightly useful - in ultimate reproductive terms - alleles can, and evolution doesn't necessarily need to 'see' the tools at all, but it would still be selecting for the kind of cognition that allowed for the use or design of tools that ultimately confers reproductive advantage.

Probably not the best answer I can give, but it's 4am, so please apply healthy doses of the principle of charity while reading it! :)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4274  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 07, 2019 9:37 pm

zoon wrote: Also, the leopard eventually caught the baboon by jumping out of the tree from the level where the baboon had been; I suspect that the baboon hadn’t chosen a high enough branch, because a leopard wouldn’t risk jumping from a height which would be likely to lead to broken bones.

I'd also remind that it's a very particular scenario with only 2 small trees close to each other. In an area with many more trees in baboon jumping distance, the leopard probably wouldn't even have bothered... unless it was very hungry, because very hungry animals (including humans) sometimes do very stupid things... and the baboon would have scampered away. There's not much difference in that scenario than a leopard coming across a baboon in the open. Trees aren't just a singular thing that a baboon goes up and a leopard does or doesn't follow (the kind of gross simplicity JJ always appeals to); they're usually a highway above the ground inaccessible to larger animals.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4275  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 07, 2019 9:53 pm

Quick side note as well Zoon.

If I pick up a rock and smash a nut and then get the nutrition from it. It's hard to think what benefit really accrues from making a slightly better nut-smasher. It's not like it gives me more nutrition. If it's easier, it's only very slightly so.

A more carefully crafted nut-smasher may take time to craft, and then becomes something I can't just pick up on the spot and use, but rather need to keep, to carry around when I want nuts, maybe even carry on the off-chance of finding nuts - or I have to bring the nuts back to the more optimal nut-smasher. Whereas, a completely un-worked rock still nets the same result, and they're quite possibly just sitting around waiting to be used.

Again, I just struggle to see how much value this notional gradual nut-smashing tool use improvement offers in terms of conferring a reproductive benefit, and consequently how it can generate a strong driver of adaptation. The only way I can really see that occurring is if nuts are my primary source of nutrition, whereas when I think of tool use in our ancestors, I think of generalization rather than specialization - there are many natural locks and we (talking more recently in our evolutionary history) were good at developing many different types of keys to open them.

I guess there's the adage of "If the only tool you have is hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail" - perhaps smashing lots of different things offered sufficient survival diversity that it did confer reproductive benefit, and therefore the morphology of smashing something heavy against another object could become adaptive. Just feels antiquated though - like 2001: Space Odyssey! :lol:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4276  Postby Jayjay4547 » Nov 08, 2019 3:59 am

Fenrir wrote:Yay. Australopiths got tree forts now!

Made wiv tools I'm wagering. Hand-held offensive pointy tools no less. Stealth tools. Coz they leave no evidence they ever existed but you just knows they had em, coz "creative biomes" and stuff.

I wonder what the password for their tree-fort was?

Course having a tiger would be have been a big help against leopards. Specially gross girly leopards.

Which is more ridiculous: that Australopithecus wore a paper hat or that they roosted in trees where, unarmed, they “mobbed” leopard?
Jayjay4547

Name: Jonathan
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4277  Postby Jayjay4547 » Nov 08, 2019 4:01 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
You duck the issue...

See Zoon?

In just 3 short posts, we've gone from JJ being pleased at you for taking him seriously - you're so polite!

To him berating you for not showing his arguments what he believe is due respect.

Jayjay4547 wrote:That closing comment really is beneath you.

To now being rude to you for not answering how he wants you to answer.

Welcome to JJ.

What you don't realize yet is the underlying contempt he holds you in for not believing in his preferred sky deity. The entire thread is JJ expressing his uninformed and obsessive prejudice against the heathen.

When I call Zoon “a compulsive liar”,or a “lying little runt” then he could have grounds for accusing me of “obsessive hostility”.
You don’t seem to be aware that he and I go back to 2016 at least. Whatever his opinion of me, he doesn’t try to smear it all the forum.
Jayjay4547

Name: Jonathan
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4278  Postby Fenrir » Nov 08, 2019 6:06 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:

Made wiv tools I'm wagering. Hand-held offensive pointy tools no less. Stealth tools. Coz they leave no evidence they ever existed but you just knows they had em, coz "creative biomes" and stuff.

Course having a tiger would be have been a big help against leopards. Specially gross girly leopards.

Which is more ridiculous: that Australopithecus wore a paper hat or that they roosted in trees where, unarmed, they “mobbed” leopard?

Do you even English?

Which is more ridiculous, your inane fantasies of utterly unevidenced pre-pre-historical carpentry, or the satirical musings of philosophical cartoonists?
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#4279  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 08, 2019 7:07 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:

Ooh 2 options? I know! I'll pick another one: your arguments are the most ridiculous.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4280  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 08, 2019 7:12 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
When I call Zoon “a compulsive liar”,or a “lying little runt” then he could have grounds for accusing me of “obsessive hostility”.

You've got that the wrong way round.

You should be imagining Zoon calling you a compulsive liar or a lying little runt because Zoon's not lying to you, but the more Zoon engages with you, the sooner the chance arises where you will lie to his face. Inevitably, he will give you the benefit of the doubt, as we all have over the years, and depending on his personality and restraint, he will not say anything the next time you lie, or the time after that... he may not mention anything at all for the next dozen lies you rattle off even though Zoon had pointed out that this wasn't true. Now, Zoon may at that point consider you not worth a wet wazz and stop responding to you, or he might decide to begin responding more directly, by pointing out those lies in blunter and blunter fashion each time you lie, then several years later, after seeing you lie so many times, he then might well describe you as a lying little runt, or perhaps he will be more polite and just refer to you as a compulsive liar.

You are, of course, not a victim of being called a liar, as hard as you try to pretend so - what you need to do is stop fucking lying.

Jayjay4547 wrote:You don’t seem to be aware that he and I go back to 2016 at least. Whatever his opinion of me, he doesn’t try to smear it all the forum.

Let me help you there: it's you smearing it all over the forum, and others reacting with disgust.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism