Ken Ham - Problems in the Homeschool movement

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Ken Ham - Problems in the Homeschool movement

#1  Postby DoctorE » Jul 09, 2010 2:09 pm

All the "terrible" science books and pagan literature, must warn the christians

Over the past few months, I have been privileged to be a keynote speaker at a number of homeschool conventions. At these conventions, there are numerous exhibit booths. At some of these meetings, I have obtained photographs of various publications being sold—I have included just a small selection for you to view:
The sad aspect of this is that while I am teaching the attendees to stand on a literal book of Genesis, there are numerous publications in many of the exhibit booths that are undermining what I am teaching just a few yards away. But most sad of all, they undermine the authority of Scripture. Most parents (from those I talked to) would never suspect such books as those above would be sold at such a conference, and many of those books are purchased by unsuspecting parents, as they look like nice books for their kids.

The homeschool movement in general has a challenge on its hands! If the convention only allowed vendors who took a stand on a literal Genesis, there would be a lot fewer vendors at such a convention; on the other hand, if the various homeschool organizations don’t do something concerning vetting all the publications made available for sale at their conventions, then they will be helping to undermine (albeit unwittingly) the authority of God’s Word—and the homeschool movement.

At one convention, we approached some of the conference organizers showing them these types of materials (and others that were distinctly New Age in philosophy—yes, new age!), and they seemed genuinely shocked, stating they had no idea such publications were for sale in the vendor hall. One conference organizer told me that they had people who reviewed all the materials for sale, but when shown some of the items being sold at that convention, the organizer could not believe such had been allowed to be sold.

I write this not to in anyway undermine the homeschool movement—we homeschooled our children for 16 years, and I count it a real privilege and honor to speak at many homeschool conventions. But I want to bring this matter to the attention of homeschoolers and challenge homeschool organizations to work through how vendor materials can be vetted. Thankfully, some groups are already doing this.

Another sad aspect (and just as problematic) is that at many homeschool conventions, some of the “Christian” colleges/seminaries being promoted are those we know take an ardent stand against a literal Genesis and teach students compromise positions not just on Genesis but on many other aspects of God’s Word! At one recent convention after hearing me speak, a man said to me:

Thank you so much for the lecture. I realized I had compromised God’s Word because of the seminary I attended—the teaching at this seminary had a devastating affect on my life and how I viewed the Bible. As I listened to you, I understood I can stand on God’s Word as authoritative—but then I observed that the very seminary that compromised God’s Word and almost destroyed my life is being featured in special advertising at this homeschool convention.

I must admit, my heart sinks as I walk around many of the exhibit halls as these conventions and look at the mixed/compromise messages (and the outright pagan literature) being made readily available to the thousands of parents who are seeking help on how to educate the next generation to stand on the authority of God’s Word! This is a serious problem I want to bring to the attention of the homeschool movement in an effort to at least get organizers discussing the issues and being aware of this compromising situation.

More: http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs ... gle+Reader
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Ken Ham - Problems in the Homeschool movement

#2  Postby Oeditor » Jul 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Ham is talking as though nobody (I assume that's in the USA) home-schools their children other than for religious reasons. And for fundamentalist Christian reasons at that. That certainly isn't the case in the UK, although there's a bit of it about. Is it really the case in the USA?
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby theropod » Jul 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Oeditor,

No, it isn't the case, completely, but Kennie has reason to freak. More and more enlightened, and able, rationalists are home schooling to give their kids an edge. I love it. This means he is losing control over the political side of the issue. He can see more and more control over the subject matter taught at home, which require the students to properly express simple science principles, such as the ToE, whether they agree or not. Kennie can see where this is heading and he is fabricating a diversionary issue within the Christian community to distract from his perception that the world is about to end, which translates into loss of sales for him.
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 11, 2010 8:30 am

So Ham is effectively admitting that the homeschooling movement was started to keep kids ignorant of real science, indoctrinate them with mythological bullshit, and that now rationalists are homeschooling their children, his plan is going shit shaped?

Pardon me whilst I indulge in some schadenfreude laughing. Because Ham fucking deserves it.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Blitzkrebs » Jul 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Pardon me whilst I indulge in some schadenfreude laughing. Because Ham fucking deserves it.

Oh, isn't it a beautiful thing? I can just imagine the look of panic in Ken Ham's beady, evil, little eyes. This demands a spoof on the Colbert Report.

I bet he'd totally lose his shit if theistic evolutionists built a museum right across from his.
ikster7579 wrote:Being rational is just an excuse for not wanting to have faith.
Blitzkrebs

Name: Roy
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Ickypedia » Jul 11, 2010 1:20 pm

I understand Hamm's anger... I mean, the poor bastard looks australopithecene ;P

Evolution left him behind, it seems.
Ickypedia

Name: Eirik
Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Harmless Eccentric » Jul 11, 2010 1:36 pm

When you're a very conservative Christian, it's completely possible to retreat from the real world almost completely to the Christian Bubble. They have their own movies, their own books, their own schools and workplaces, even their own fast-food franchises (it's shame about Chik-fil-A, which is actually pretty tasty). This is completely intentional. It's easier to make yourself believe untrue things if everything around you reinforces your beliefs, and you don't have to confront people whose views of the world are reasonable and logical, and who aren't Satanists or kitten-raping psychos.

So when the Bubble is invaded, it's upsetting and frightening. Ken Ham isn't nearly as naive as the people he misleads. He knows that the Bubble is essential to maintaining people's anti-reality beliefs, and that if the Bubble shrinks, he loses minds- and thus he loses income. Out in the real world, we wonder what the big deal is about different points of view in a vendor room- after all, we mostly shop in stores that sell material from many points of view. But inside the Bubble, allowing the presence of other ways of looking at the world- especially ways that make more sense- threatens the whole enterprise.
Harmless Eccentric

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby MoonLit » Jul 13, 2010 4:53 am

I guess Ham has forgotten that not all parents who homeschool are Fundie Christians. More and more Rational parents are homeschooling because of the shitty state the U.S public school system is in. He's just going to have to get used to it.
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Alan C » Jul 13, 2010 9:23 am

Ah Canned Ham, scared your unearned and undeserved income could be reduced to a pittance?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby dionysus » Jul 14, 2010 3:27 am

Ken Ham wrote:The homeschool movement in general has a challenge on its hands! If the convention only allowed vendors who took a stand on a literal Genesis, there would be a lot fewer vendors at such a convention; on the other hand, if the various homeschool organizations don’t do something concerning vetting all the publications made available for sale at their conventions, then they will be helping to undermine (albeit unwittingly) the authority of God’s Word

Sounds like you just got bitch-slapped by the invisible hand of the free market. Ah, I love the smell of ironic ownage in the evening.
dionysus

Name: Lukasz
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Creationism