:scratch: :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpdywj2Kgrw[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Rib Cage Baffles Evolutionists

#2  Postby Gila Guerilla » Jun 30, 2010 2:00 pm

I think he means flared ribcage. You know: f-l-a-r-e-d ribcage.

Note how similar the word flared is, to the word flawed, as in ( WTF ? )- that's one widely flawed video there.

I'm another godless atheist for peace and world harmony.

Oh, to dream, the impossible dream.

Aaah!

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby GrahamH » Jun 30, 2010 2:09 pm

Say it twice and make it true. Say it twice and make it true. OK?

See that fur? See that, see that, see that?

Neanderthals? in Africa?

What an idiot!

A Tiger? in Africa?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#4  Postby Shrunk » Jun 30, 2010 2:59 pm

I love TruthfulChristian! Honestly, if you deliberately set out to create the most outrageously hilarious Poe, could you possibly do any better than this? I'm not even sure what my favourite part is. Maybe the very beginning, where he spells out "f-l-a-r-r-e-d". Or perhaps, "You see all the fur? You see it?". Or, "OK, maybe not 40. Maybe just 39." Or just the fact that he keeps scribbling all over his graphic til it can't even be seen anymore.

Ed Current should probably consider suing him, though. "Game over, atheists!" is just a bit too close to "Checkmate, atheists!"
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Nautilidae » Jun 30, 2010 3:10 pm

DoctorE wrote::scratch: :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpdywj2Kgrw[/youtube]

Oh my God. TruthfulChristian is almost as bad as NephilimFree.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thommo » Jun 30, 2010 3:16 pm

I don't believe this guy is not a Poe.

That is just too fucking stupid.
Thommo

Print view this post

#7  Postby Lizard_King » Jun 30, 2010 3:19 pm

This guy is just pathetic. Drawing wild lines in Paint on one (repeat, ONE) single picture until it's just a blur of white that would shame a fourth-grader, and then label it "Evolution debunked".

To quote Mayor Quimby in the Simpsons: Do these people get dumber or just louder?
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Regina » Jun 30, 2010 3:31 pm

Ahhhhhh! The Neandertal is in Africa!! That explains a lot, especially the heat that we have here right now!
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#9  Postby pawiz » Jun 30, 2010 3:38 pm

Evolution baffles creationists
It is my deeply held belief that (insert name of favored deity here) is a complete fuckwit. Please respect my beliefs.
pawiz

Name: Paul
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Gareth1984 » Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Truthfulchristian2 really does take creationist stupidity to whol new levels. His circling of everything he was discussing was also particularly hilarious, it's as though he expects everyone else to be as dumb as he is.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" Carl Sagan
Gareth1984

Print view this post

#11  Postby bdcarlitosway » Jun 30, 2010 8:07 pm

Thats obviously a Poe guys.
Life becomes much easier when you master the skill of farting silently
bdcarlitosway

Male

Guatemala (gt)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nautilidae » Jun 30, 2010 9:31 pm

bdcarlitosway wrote:Thats obviously a Poe guys.

That's the surprising thing; he's not a Poe.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Matty the Damned » Jun 30, 2010 9:37 pm

He cannot spell. "Flarred".

And I'm appalled to hear his accent.

MtD
Religion controls the weak, stupid and criminal minded in ways that threats of jail or community service cannot.
Matty the Damned
Banned Troll

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby scruffy » Jun 30, 2010 10:24 pm

What I find funny is that a large crux of his 'argument' depends on an ARTIST'S RENDITION of a neanderthal.

He's also assuming Neanderthals to have lived in Africa, and further asserts that a flared rib cage goes so far in retaining heat that our body temperature would rise to lethal levels.. Nor does he seem to consider the fact that, supposing the ribcage to actually be lethal, he's 'investigating' the DEAD body of a specimen.. I would assert that perhaps the reason that particular Neanderthal was dead was BECAUSE of this 'lethal' mutation LONG before I would consider myself to have dis proven evolution.
scruffy

Name: Jared Clark
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Millefleur » Jun 30, 2010 11:16 pm

Ack, just watched and commented on a couple of his other videos, he looks about 14 but has hands that look like a grown womans, freaky :shock: Poor buggers well and truly brainwashed, its like he's thinking if I repeat it over and over it will be true and mummy and daddy won't have lied to me my entire life :lol:
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Thommo » Jun 30, 2010 11:20 pm

Nautilidae wrote:
bdcarlitosway wrote:Thats obviously a Poe guys.

That's the surprising thing; he's not a Poe.

But how do you know!?!

Surely a true Poe is one that you can't possibly know is a Poe? It's like knowing the unknowable.
Thommo

Print view this post

#17  Postby Matty the Damned » Jun 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Millefleur wrote:Ack, just watched and commented on a couple of his other videos, he looks about 14 but has hands that look like a grown womans, freaky :shock: Poor buggers well and truly brainwashed, its like he's thinking if I repeat it over and over it will be true and mummy and daddy won't have lied to me my entire life :lol:

Once he comes out everything will be ok.

MtD
Religion controls the weak, stupid and criminal minded in ways that threats of jail or community service cannot.
Matty the Damned
Banned Troll

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 30, 2010 11:48 pm

jaredennisclark wrote:What I find funny is that a large crux of his 'argument' depends on an ARTIST'S RENDITION of a neanderthal.

So this individual would think Harun Yahya's fishing lure was a real caddis fly?

jaredennisclark wrote:He's also assuming Neanderthals to have lived in Africa

And why was the type specimen originally called Homo neanderthalensis, I ask myself? Oh that's right, because it was found in the Neanderthal Valley in Germany. Since when was Germany part of Africa?

Oh, by the way, a little tangential diversion for you. Whenever you see the ending "-ensis" (or the vocative variant "-ense") in a taxonomic name, it means that the name is a geographical reference to the place where the type specimen was found. From the world of aquarium fishes alone, I can name Cubanichthys cubensis (a Cyrpinodont from, surprise, surprise, Cuba), Phallichthys isthmensis (a Poeciliid livebearer from the Isthmus of Panama), Parachromis managuensis (a large predatory Cichlid fish first found near Managua), i]Cryptoheros panamensis[/i] (another Cichlid, this time from Panama), Hypsophyrs nicaraguensis (yet another Cichlid, formerly in Cichlasoma, which, surprise surprise, is from Nicaragua), Nandopsis haitiensis (a big, bad tempered Cichlid from Haiti), and Tilapia guineensis (an African Cichlid from Guinea-Bissau, named back in the days when the country was simply Guinea). If I bother to trawl my butterfly taxonomy files, I could probably find dozens of butterflies similarly named.

Plus, the only sites outside Europe known to have produced Neanderthal fossils to date are in Israel, most notably Tabun Cave. Most of the other locations are in France and Germany, with a significant number found in eastern Europe, with an outlier in what appears to be Armenia, numerous finds in Italy, and several significant finds in Spain, including on Gibraltar. This hominid has not, as far as I am aware, ever been found in Africa. The specimens assigned to the taxon Homo rhodesiensis, which possesses some features that resemble Neanderthal features superficially, are separated from neanderthalensis by at least 2,000 miles geographically and pre-date neanderthalensis by about 100,000 years, indicating that rhodesiensis occupied a separate branch of the hominid family tree. In any case, the exact phylogenetic position of rhodesiensis has yet to be determined conclusively, as it is possible that the species is merely a late-appearing geographical variant of Homo erectus, though if there's one thing I've learned about palaeoanthropology, it's that the area of study is a minefield littered with tank traps for the unwary, and consequently, since far more learned people than I are still arguing (in some cases, bitterly) over the provenance of some fossils, I know better than to make conclusive statements about fossils that are still the subject of active research. As for neanderthalensis, however, there is NO doubt about the current known range of this ancestral hominid, and Africa isn't a part of that known range.

jaredennisclark wrote:and further asserts that a flared rib cage goes so far in retaining heat that our body temperature would rise to lethal levels.

Er, this individual obviously knows nothing about surface area to volume ratio and its effect upon heat transfer.

Let's take a look at some simple bodies. First, a sphere. This has a surface area of 4πr2, where r is the radius, and a volume of (4/3)πr3. The surface area to volume ratio is therefore 3/r. A cylinder of length L and radius r has a surface area of 2πr2 + 2πrL. The volume of this cylinder is πr2L. If L=r, these two equations reduce to 4πr2 and πr3 respectively, and the surface area to volume ratio of such a cylinder is therefore 4/r. A cube whose side is of length r has a surface area of 6r2 and a volume of r3, therefore the surface area to volume ratio is 6/r. I'll leave it as an exercise for all of you to determine the surface area and volume of a regular tetrahedron of side r, and the surface area to volume ratio for that body. :mrgreen:

Basically, any deviation from sphericity increases the surface area to volume ratio. Therefore, if a 'flared' rib cage introduces such deviations, it increases the surface area to volume ratio, and actually makes the resulting body a better radiator of heat. This is because heat loss to the surroundings is determined by surface area, which is why radiators are designed to have as large a surface area as possible for a given volume. Heat production in an organism with the relevant metabolic capability, on the other hand, is determined by mass, which in turn is related to volume. This is why creatures that live in cold environments tend to have large bodies (lage mass, therefore large volume, equals large heat generating capacity), and a body shape that tends as closely to sphericity as anatomy and other considerations will allow (e.g., protrusion of limbs, streamlining for swimming in the case of whales etc). Creatures that live in hot environments tend to be small (with a few notable exceptions such as elephants), and tend to have features acting as radiators (those big external ear flaps that elephants have, for example, or the ears of Fennec Foxes). So if a 'flared' rib cage introduces any significant deviations from sphericity, it will make that body a more efficient radiator of heat than a more compact body.

So, I'd say that this individual is talking out of an orifice more usually associated with a more solid form of waste on the grounds of basic physics and geometry alone.

jaredennisclark wrote:Nor does he seem to consider the fact that, supposing the ribcage to actually be lethal, he's 'investigating' the DEAD body of a specimen.. I would assert that perhaps the reason that particular Neanderthal was dead was BECAUSE of this 'lethal' mutation LONG before I would consider myself to have dis proven evolution.

Which assumes, of course, that the prior two assumptions are anything other than rectally extracted apologetic faeces on the part of this individual.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby scruffy » Jul 01, 2010 12:03 am

Well shit. :cheers:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your credentials Calli? Ever since Dawkins.net I've been impressed by literally every post I've seen from you.
scruffy

Name: Jared Clark
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Kuia » Jul 01, 2010 9:18 am

Matty the Damned wrote:
And I'm appalled to hear his accent.

I'm relieved.
Kuia

Print view this post