Theory of Intelligent Design

Informal peer-review welcomed

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Theory of Intelligent Design

#1581  Postby Gary S. Gaulin » Sep 03, 2011 4:52 am

Just A Theory wrote:Gary, there exists no such creatures as chromosomal Adam & Eve. Each of our chromosomes can be traced back to a most recent common ancestor of all extant humans who possessed that chromosome but each chromosome would trace back to a different person. Furthermore, each generation would trace back to a different individual again.

Look, I'm happy to explain why the above paragraph is true if you need me to but until you do actually accept that you are completely and utterly incorrect about the existence of a single mated pair which are the progenitors of all modern humans then there's nothing else to say.

Your assertions on chromosomal Adam & Eve display the sort of unconscious ignorance which could easily serve as a banner for the Dunning-Kruger effect. You seem to be monumentally ignorant of the fundamental mechanics of speciation.

As the Adam and Eve papers you just showed indicate, the rules of science very much allows use of their names where applicable, and in your cases barely remotely applicable is good enough when it serves your cause. Only thing you have presented is evidence of religious bias, and insults, with an occasional useful to theory statement but not that time.
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.
Gary S. Gaulin

Name: Gary Gaulin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1582  Postby willhud9 » Sep 03, 2011 5:18 am

Gary S. Gaulin wrote:
Just A Theory wrote:Gary, there exists no such creatures as chromosomal Adam & Eve. Each of our chromosomes can be traced back to a most recent common ancestor of all extant humans who possessed that chromosome but each chromosome would trace back to a different person. Furthermore, each generation would trace back to a different individual again.

Look, I'm happy to explain why the above paragraph is true if you need me to but until you do actually accept that you are completely and utterly incorrect about the existence of a single mated pair which are the progenitors of all modern humans then there's nothing else to say.

Your assertions on chromosomal Adam & Eve display the sort of unconscious ignorance which could easily serve as a banner for the Dunning-Kruger effect. You seem to be monumentally ignorant of the fundamental mechanics of speciation.

As the Adam and Eve papers you just showed indicate, the rules of science very much allows use of their names where applicable, and in your cases barely remotely applicable is good enough when it serves your cause. Only thing you have presented is evidence of religious bias, and insults, with an occasional useful to theory statement but not that time.

and the only thing you provided was ignorance filled with scientific jargon. Still waiting for that intelligent molecule :whistle:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1583  Postby Just A Theory » Sep 03, 2011 6:31 am

Gary S. Gaulin wrote:

If you aren't interested in discussing science, and if you aren't interested in learning anything new, why bother posting here?

So far you've shown abysmal ignorance of basic science, almost complete inability to learn and a colossal hubris even in the face of your own demonstrated ignorance.
"He who begins by loving Christianity more than Truth, will proceed by loving his sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all."

Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772-1834
Just A Theory

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1584  Postby UnderConstruction » Sep 03, 2011 6:41 am

Gary S. Gaulin wrote:
As the Adam and Eve papers you just showed indicate, the rules of science very much allows use of their names where applicable, .

It would be truer to say that the rules of science do not prohibit whimsical naming, surely?
"Origins from God/Genesis are secular actually as we see it." - Robert Byers
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1585  Postby UnderConstruction » Sep 03, 2011 7:09 am

Oh and Gary, perhaps we could trouble you to provide and original copy of the "Rules of Science" that you are working from? Only, you seem to be adhering to a set of rules that include amongst other things:

-The removal of any need to make testable predictions.
-No need for falsifiability.
-The ability for one person to declare a work to be a theory, despite failure to provide the above and over the disinterest of the scientific community at large.
-The ability for one person to retain creative sole control of said "theory" and to be supreme arbiter of what is and is not a valid criticism.
-The ability to arbitrarily declare what is and is not science, over the objections of practicing scientists, or even just those with a decent science education.
-Seemingly active encouragement to reconcile religious claims with scientific fact.
-The right to misrepresent the works of scientists.
-The right to redefine terms at will.

Now I would submit that based on this, the rules that you are working to do not reflect the behaviour of the majority of the scientific community in many cases, as well as directly contradicting it in others. Perhaps you are of the belief that you are the only one who actually adheres to the rules?
"Origins from God/Genesis are secular actually as we see it." - Robert Byers
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1586  Postby hackenslash » Sep 03, 2011 7:47 am

Gary S. Gaulin wrote:Your excuses for cherry-picking facts while hand-waving and blaming me for that, are pathetic. Only thing you have on me is that I did not leave out detail such as this in the theory:

[17] Francisco J. Ayala and Mario Coluzzi
Colloquium Paper: Systematics and the Origin of Species: Chromosome speciation: Humans, Drosophila, and mosquitoes
PNAS 2005 102:6535-6542; published online before print April 25, 2005, doi:10.1073/pnas.0501847102
http://www.pnas.org/content/102/suppl.1/6535.full

No, we have on you, among other things, that the paper you keep citing does not support your position, as I detailed on page 5 of this thread, and as has been comprehensively demonstrated by others as well. Your continued citation of this paper constitutes quote-mining, and you are doing so wilfully, because it has already been pointed out to you that it doesn't support you, and it has also been repeatedly demonstrated that your assertions regarding chromosome count do not stack up. Desist from this dishonest behaviour, because it's beyond tedious, and is also in breach of the FUA.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#1587  Postby Darkchilde » Sep 03, 2011 10:19 am

Darkchilde wrote:
There is no fine tuning to the universe. The universe is a hostile place not a friendly one. Some people even have suggested that if our universe is fine tuned, then it is fine tuned for black holes not life. [I think it was Susskind who said that, not sure.] If the universe was fine tuned for life, then we should be able to find it everywhere, even in the moon or the Sun; conditions for life would have risen in more places without any effort.

Just a small correction here, thanks to hackenslash. Lee Smolin is the physicist who has suggested that the universe is fine-tuned for black holes. Lee Smolin explains this in his book "The Life of the Cosmos". I read it in John Gribbin's book "In Search of the Multiverse".

The idea is that there is a cosmic landscape from where universes arise. This is Susskind's idea; Smolin elaborates further taking paradigms from evolutionary biology, and says that universes are selected for some reason, the reason being the production of black holes. Life and the rest of whatever there is in the universe is just a by-product of that.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1588  Postby CharlieM » Sep 03, 2011 3:34 pm

CharlieM:
I'd have thought it obvious that everything subsequent to my quote above was "in my view", so I didn't feel the need to repeat myself. But if you want to jump on every little fault you see in my posts, feel free.

Jaygray:
Ah, we're playing 'let's go for jaygray because I can't be bothered to answer the points raised against me'.

I'm not going for you, I'm just answering in kind. If you wish to communicate with sarcastic comments like, "Please do try to keep up.", then you can't really complain of being picked on.

I do not have the time to answer all of the point but I go back and see if there is anything I think worth answering. If you know of any relevent points that I haven't answered to your satisfaction, then feel free to ask them again. I don't mind waiting 'till tuesday or thereafter.
CharlieM

Name: Charlie Morrison

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1589  Postby CharlieM » Sep 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Theropod:

CharlieM wrote:
theropod:
There's one small problem with your example. All birds are the descendants of theropod dinosaurs. .

Don't you mean, "In my view, all birds are the descendants of theropod dinosaurs".

No. I meant what I wrote. There is a mass of supporting evidence that I accept because no other evidence exists to overturn this. I don't think I will supply even a tiny portion of that evidence here as "in my view" it would be wasted on you. Should you question this you are welcome to offer any empirical evidence that, "in your view", would counter my assertion. I'm betting you can't and won't.

That is the problem with people who believe the current paradigm. No matter if 99.99 percent of scientists believe that there is sufficient evidence to put a theory beyond doubt, if other scientists believe there is evidence that refutes or puts in doubt that theory, then you cannot just glibbly treat it as fact. In the past, how many views held by the vast majority of scientists turned out to be wrong? I thought that was what science was all about, always questioning current understanding.

As for empirical evidence to counter your assertion:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/diapsids/avians.html
Some researchers today do not agree that dinosaurs gave rise to birds, and are working to falsify this theory, but so far the evidence for the theory has swamped their efforts. If they were to conclusively establish that birds are more likely descended from another group (Crocodylomorpha, the group containing crocodiles, has been suggested), that would be a major upheaval in our knowledge of phylogeny. One single well-preserved fossil bird unequivocably of Triassic age might shed some doubt on the theory of the maniraptoran affinities of birds. That would be a major find. Some bird-like fossils have been presented as Triassic birds, but so far have not held up under peer review. Such is the dynamic nature of science.

http://www.geotimes.org/june02/WebExtra0627.html
The ancestors of birds are widely believed to be dinosaurs, but the specifics of bird origin are still unclear. Now, geologists have found footprints in northwest Argentina that are evidence for the oldest bird-like creatures discovered.

"This finding poses many questions regarding the origin of birds and the relationships of this unknown group of theropod dinosaurs with other groups of dinosaurs," says Ricardo Melchor from the Universidad Nacional de La Pampa in Argentina, and lead author of the group that published its findings in this week's Nature. "It's significant because we find footprints with morphology identical to modern birds in rocks that predate, by 55 million years, the first record of true Aves."

If they have "morphology identical to modern birds" why is Ricardo Melchor calling them an "unknown group of theropod dinosaurs"? Surely he is making an assumption because of his prior belief.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v417/n6892/full/nature00818.html
The study of fossilized footprints and tracks of dinosaurs and other vertebrates has provided insight into the origin, evolution and extinction of several major groups and their behaviour; it has also been an important complement to their body fossil record1, 2, 3, 4. The known history of birds starts in the Late Jurassic epoch (around 150 Myr ago) with the record of Archaeopteryx5, whereas the coelurosaurian ancestors of the birds date back to the Early Jurassic6. The hind limbs of Late Triassic epoch theropods lack osteological evidence for an avian reversed hallux and also display other functional differences from birds7. Previous references to suggested Late Triassic to Early Jurassic bird-like footprints have been reinterpreted as produced by non-avian dinosaurs having a high angle between digits II and IV8, 9 and in all cases their avian affinities have been challenged10. Here we describe well-preserved and abundant footprints with clearly avian characters from a Late Triassic redbed sequence of Argentina11, 12, at least 55 Myr before the first known skeletal record of birds. These footprints document the activities, in an environment interpreted as small ponds associated with ephemeral rivers, of an unknown group of Late Triassic theropods having some avian characters.

Yet again they assume an unknown group of theropods.

Alan Feduccia from the University of North Carolina.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Feduccia and Larry Martin from the University of Kansas are two paleontologists who challenge the dino-bird theory. Then there is John Ruben who I think I have already mentioned. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100209183335.htm. I'm sure there are more, but these are enough to put doubt in my mind that it is as near a fact as you can get, which is what I've been told here.
CharlieM

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1590  Postby Rumraket » Sep 03, 2011 6:55 pm

CharlieM wrote:
Theropod wrote:There's one small problem with your example. All birds are the descendants of theropod dinosaurs. .
CharlieM wrote:
Don't you mean, "In my view, all birds are the descendants of theropod dinosaurs".

No. I meant what I wrote. There is a mass of supporting evidence that I accept because no other evidence exists to overturn this. I don't think I will supply even a tiny portion of that evidence here as "in my view" it would be wasted on you. Should you question this you are welcome to offer any empirical evidence that, "in your view", would counter my assertion. I'm betting you can't and won't.

That is the problem with people who believe the current paradigm. No matter if 99.99 percent of scientists believe that there is sufficient evidence to put a theory beyond doubt, if other scientists believe there is evidence that refutes or puts in doubt that theory, then you cannot just glibbly treat it as fact. In the past, how many views held by the vast majority of scientists turned out to be wrong? I thought that was what science was all about, always questioning current understanding.

It is. But to overturn an idea takes more than just questioning alone. For that, you need evidence and a better explanation.

CharlieM wrote:As for empirical evidence to counter your assertion:

Some researchers today do not agree that dinosaurs gave rise to birds, and are working to falsify this theory, but so far the evidence for the theory has swamped their efforts. If they were to conclusively establish that birds are more likely descended from another group (Crocodylomorpha, the group containing crocodiles, has been suggested), that would be a major upheaval in our knowledge of phylogeny. One single well-preserved fossil bird unequivocably of Triassic age might shed some doubt on the theory of the maniraptoran affinities of birds. That would be a major find. Some bird-like fossils have been presented as Triassic birds, but so far have not held up under peer review. Such is the dynamic nature of science.

So a quote that says some people doubt the extant paradigm, but no actual evidence. lol.

CharlieM wrote:
The ancestors of birds are widely believed to be dinosaurs, but the specifics of bird origin are still unclear. Now, geologists have found footprints in northwest Argentina that are evidence for the oldest bird-like creatures discovered.

"This finding poses many questions regarding the origin of birds and the relationships of this unknown group of theropod dinosaurs with other groups of dinosaurs," says Ricardo Melchor from the Universidad Nacional de La Pampa in Argentina, and lead author of the group that published its findings in this week's Nature. "It's significant because we find footprints with morphology identical to modern birds in rocks that predate, by 55 million years, the first record of true Aves."

If they have "morphology identical to modern birds" why is Ricardo Melchor calling them an "unknown group of theropod dinosaurs"?

Because they're footprints and birds are theropods, lol.
Theropoda (theropod /ˈθɛrəpɒd/; suborder name Theropoda /θɨˈrɒpɵdə/, from Greek meaning "beast feet") is both a suborder of bipedal saurischian dinosaurs, and a clade consisting of that suborder and its descendants (including modern birds).

CharlieM wrote:Surely he is making an assumption because of his prior belief.

Surely that assumtion is build on previously collected evidence and an actual comprehension of what the terms mean, not belief.

CharlieM wrote:
The study of fossilized footprints and tracks of dinosaurs and other vertebrates has provided insight into the origin, evolution and extinction of several major groups and their behaviour; it has also been an important complement to their body fossil record1, 2, 3, 4. The known history of birds starts in the Late Jurassic epoch (around 150 Myr ago) with the record of Archaeopteryx5, whereas the coelurosaurian ancestors of the birds date back to the Early Jurassic6. The hind limbs of Late Triassic epoch theropods lack osteological evidence for an avian reversed hallux and also display other functional differences from birds7. Previous references to suggested Late Triassic to Early Jurassic bird-like footprints have been reinterpreted as produced by non-avian dinosaurs having a high angle between digits II and IV8, 9 and in all cases their avian affinities have been challenged10. Here we describe well-preserved and abundant footprints with clearly avian characters from a Late Triassic redbed sequence of Argentina11, 12, at least 55 Myr before the first known skeletal record of birds. These footprints document the activities, in an environment interpreted as small ponds associated with ephemeral rivers, of an unknown group of Late Triassic theropods having some avian characters.

Do you even know what the fuck theropod means?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theropod
Theropoda (theropod /ˈθɛrəpɒd/; suborder name Theropoda /θɨˈrɒpɵdə/, from Greek meaning "beast feet") is both a suborder of bipedal saurischian dinosaurs, and a clade consisting of that suborder and its descendants (including modern birds).

CharlieM wrote:Alan Feduccia from the University of North Carolina.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Feduccia and Larry Martin from the University of Kansas are two paleontologists who challenge the dino-bird theory. Then there is John Ruben who I think I have already mentioned. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100209183335.htm. I'm sure there are more, but these are enough to put doubt in my mind that it is as near a fact as you can get, which is what I've been told here.

And if they're right, their findings will eventuall replace the extant paradigm. Unfortunately for them, it takes more than just the brute fact of disstent to overthrow science, mostly it takes evidence. So far, they have nothing. That means you have nothing but your quotes from dissenters. Who was talking about belief again?
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#1591  Postby Darkchilde » Sep 03, 2011 7:08 pm

@CharlieM: Theropod asked me to relate that he will answer you sometime next week, as he is in a self-imposed posting holiday. He is not ignoring posts.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1592  Postby willhud9 » Sep 03, 2011 7:16 pm

CharlieM wrote:
Theropod:

CharlieM wrote:
theropod:
There's one small problem with your example. All birds are the descendants of theropod dinosaurs. .

Actually it means that .1 percent of scientists are trying to overcome a accepted theory. This does not make the accepted theory not fact, since there is evidence to support the assertion. It is the job of the .1 percent to show the 99.99 percent of scientists that they are wrong. For this case I suggest reading your own links.

As for empirical evidence to counter your assertion:

From this link:

Some researchcers have raised issues that may seem to make the theropod origin of birds difficult to support, but these difficulties are more illusory than substantial. One proposed difficulty is the gap in the fossil record between the first known bird (Late Jurassic) and the dromaeosaurs, probable sister group of birds (Early Cretaceous). This overlooks the blatant fact that other maniraptoran coelurosaurs, such as Ornitholestes, Coelurus, and Compsognathus, are known from strata of Late Jurassic age. If other maniraptorans were there, it logically follows that the ancestors of dromaeosaurs were there. Fragmentary remains of possible dromaeosaurs are also known from the Late Jurassic.

Other arguments, such as the putative differences between theropod and bird finger development, or lung morphology, or ankle bone morphology, all stumble on the lack of relevant data on extinct theropods, misinterpretations of anatomy, simplifying assumptions about developmental flexibility, and/or speculations about convergence, biomechanics, or selective pressures. The opponents of the theropod hypothesis refuse to propose an alternative hypothesis that is falsifiable. This is probably because there are no other suitable candidates for avian ancestors. "Thecodonts" are often promoted as such, but this is an obfuscatory, antiquated term for a hodgepodge of poorly understood and paraphyletic, undiagnosible reptiles. The problems cited by such opponents for theropods are often more serious for the "thecodont" pseudo-hypothesis. Finally, such opponents also refuse to use the methods and evidence normally accepted by comparative evolutionary biologists, such as phylogenetic systematics and parsimony. They rely more on an "intuitive approach," which is not a method at all but just an untestable gestalt impression laden with assumptions about how evolution must work.

The "controversy" remains an interest more of the press than the general scientific community. There are more interesting issues for scientists to explore, such as how flight performance changed in birds, what the earliest function(s) of feathers was(were), when endothermy arose in some archosaurs, which group of theropods was ancestral to birds, how theropod ecology changed with the acquisition of flight, why some bird groups survived the Cretaceous extinction of other dinosaurs, etc.

Without its feathers, Archaeopteryx looks much like a small coelurosaur such as a dromaeosaurid or troodontid.

The facts are resoundingly in support of a maniraptoran origin for birds; certainly a theropodan origin at the very least. So when you see a hawk diving to snatch a dove, or an egret darting for fish, or an ostrich dashing across the African savanna, know that you are gaining some insight into what the extinct dinosaurs were like. However, do note that extant (living) birds are quite different from extinct dinosaurs in many ways, so it's not safe to assume that all dinosaurs are the same. For that matter, extant birds are quite different from Jurassic and Cretaceous birds. Time passes, the environment changes... life evolves. Extant birds have been separated evolutionarily from the other coelurosaurian dinosaurs for some 150 million years, so they do look, act, and function quite differently, but science has shown us that they are closely linked by their common evolutionary history.

This link is saying that although there are some researchers that object to the theropod origins of modern birds, the evidence they provide is weak and insubstantial. Way to check your source. Next:

If they have "morphology identical to modern birds" why is Ricardo Melchor calling them an "unknown group of theropod dinosaurs"? Surely he is making an assumption because of his prior belief.

Even Melchor has said though, IN THAT LINK, that this does not disprove the theropod bird hypothesis. So far no skeletal remains have been found of a creature who could produce such tracks and so far, there a wide array of explanations. Only the "Birds are not Dinosaurs" supporters are overly concerned about this. Most in the scientific community view it as interesting but not enough to topple a huge amount of evidence.

And what do you suppose? That modern birds actually lived in that era? Yeah because that makes more sense than assuming a group of unknown theropods. :roll:

Alan Feduccia from the University of North Carolina.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Feduccia and Larry Martin from the University of Kansas are two paleontologists who challenge the dino-bird theory. Then there is John Ruben who I think I have already mentioned. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100209183335.htm. I'm sure there are more, but these are enough to put doubt in my mind that it is as near a fact as you can get, which is what I've been told here.

To bad, Feduccia left out cladistics in his research. That right there makes it weaker. As for Martin, he is a researcher on Caudipteryx, and disagrees with the general consensus, why does his opinion matter more than others?

They are a few mavericks who wish to attempt to disprove a well accepted theory with a huge amount of evidence in support of it. They have their work cut out for them. As your first link states, most evidence against the birds are dinosaurs theory is weak and not enough to discredit the theory. I think I am going to trust the consensus on this one, unless of course Charlie you want to provide compelling evidence on contrary. The evidence these scientists give are easily shrugged off by the scientific community. Do you have something better?
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1593  Postby CharlieM » Sep 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Rumraket:
But to overturn an idea takes more than just questioning alone. For that, you need evidence and a better explanation.

I'm not talking about overturning ideas here. For all I know birds may have descended from theropod dinosaurs. I'm talking about people passing things off as fact to bolster their own position on the matter.

From Rumraket:

This is exactly what I mean. The people who classed the birds as dinosaurs are the very people who are trying to prove that birds descended from dinosaurs. Unless of course you believe that its the very small minority who decide what fits where.

So if birds are theropod dinosaurs how do we know that they evolved from a type of theropod dinosaur and it wasn't that the rest of the theropod dinosaurs evolved from birds?

Rumraket:
Surely that assumtion is build on previously collected evidence and an actual comprehension of what the terms mean, not belief

See my question above.

Rumraket:
Do you even know what the fuck theropod means?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theropod

See my question above.

CharlieM wrote:
Alan Feduccia from the University of North Carolina.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Feduccia and Larry Martin from the University of Kansas are two paleontologists who challenge the dino-bird theory. Then there is John Ruben who I think I have already mentioned. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 183335.htm. I'm sure there are more, but these are enough to put doubt in my mind that it is as near a fact as you can get, which is what I've been told here.

And if they're right, their findings will eventuall replace the extant paradigm. Unfortunately for them, it takes more than just the brute fact of disstent to overthrow science, mostly it takes evidence. So far, they have nothing. That means you have nothing but your quotes from dissenters. Who was talking about belief again?

When you say, "And if they're right," does this mean you agree with what I've been saying, in other words, there is an element of doubt.
CharlieM

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1594  Postby CharlieM » Sep 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Darkchilde:
CharlieM: Theropod asked me to relate that he will answer you sometime next week, as he is in a self-imposed posting holiday. He is not ignoring posts.

That's no problem.
CharlieM

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1595  Postby Gary S. Gaulin » Sep 03, 2011 8:35 pm

willhud9 wrote:and the only thing you provided was ignorance filled with scientific jargon. Still waiting for that intelligent molecule :whistle:

Moving the goalposts
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts

Moving the goalposts (or shifting the goalposts) is an expression meaning changing the target of a process or competition by one side in order to gain advantage.[1]

Etymology
This phrase is a straightforward derivation from sports that use goalposts, such as football. The figurative use alludes to the perceived unfairness in changing the goal one is trying to achieve after the process one is engaged in has already started. The phrase came into wide use in the UK during the 1980s. The first known attested use is in 1987.[1]

As abuse
Shifting the goalposts is a commonly recognized technique for destabilization in workplace bullying, often without even telling the victim. [2] [3]

As logical fallacy
Moving the goalposts, also known as raising the bar, is an informal logically fallacious argument in which evidence presented in response to a specific claim is dismissed and some other (often greater) evidence is demanded. In other words, after an attempt has been made to score a goal, the goalposts are moved to exclude the attempt. This attempts to leave the impression that an argument had a fair hearing while actually reaching a preordained conclusion.[4]

Feature creep
Moving the goalposts may also refer to feature creep, in which the completion of a product like software is not acknowledged because an evolving list of required features changes over time. Thus, the goal of "completing" the product for a client may never occur.

Other uses
The term is often used in business to imply bad faith on the part of those setting goals for others to meet, by arbitrarily making additional demands just as the initial ones are about to be met.
Accusations of this form of abuse tend to occur when there are unstated assumptions that are obvious to one party but not to another. For example- "The killing all the fleas on a cat is very easy.", without the usually unstated condition that "The cat still remain alive and in good health.".

See also
Bait and switch
Nirvana fallacy
Setting up to fail
Texas sharpshooter fallacy
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.
Gary S. Gaulin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1596  Postby Rumraket » Sep 03, 2011 8:39 pm

CharlieM wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
But to overturn an idea takes more than just questioning alone. For that, you need evidence and a better explanation.

I'm not talking about overturning ideas here. For all I know birds may have descended from theropod dinosaurs. I'm talking about people passing things off as fact to bolster their own position on the matter.

They are facts. The status of fact isn't contingent on an absense of dissenters. There are people who believe the earth is flat.

CharlieM wrote:
Rumraket wrote:

This is exactly what I mean. The people who classed the birds as dinosaurs are the very people who are trying to prove that birds descended from dinosaurs. Unless of course you believe that its the very small minority who decide what fits where.

No, I don't think the original people who came up with the theropod term are the same people who are today searching for fossils in the transition.

CharlieM wrote:So if birds are theropod dinosaurs how do we know that they evolved from a type of theropod dinosaur and it wasn't that the rest of the theropod dinosaurs evolved from birds?

The fossil transition is in the correct chronological order. We know where dinosaurs came from too.

CharlieM wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
CharlieM wrote:
Alan Feduccia from the University of North Carolina.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Feduccia and Larry Martin from the University of Kansas are two paleontologists who challenge the dino-bird theory. Then there is John Ruben who I think I have already mentioned. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 183335.htm. I'm sure there are more, but these are enough to put doubt in my mind that it is as near a fact as you can get, which is what I've been told here.

When you say, "And if they're right," does this mean you agree with what I've been saying, in other words, there is an element of doubt.

No not really. All it means is that it is theoretically possible that they're wrong. This just means I'm open minded. It's theoretically possible that the earth is the center of the universe, but the number of assertions you have to pile on top of the extant evidence is so ridiculous it's not even worth discussing. This theoretical possibility doesn't constitute an element of doubt.
Last edited by Rumraket on Sep 03, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#1597  Postby CharlieM » Sep 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Willhud9:
Actually it means that .1 percent of scientists are trying to overcome a accepted theory. This does not make the accepted theory not fact, since there is evidence to support the assertion. It is the job of the .1 percent to show the 99.99 percent of scientists that they are wrong. For this case I suggest reading your own links.

Well you've just confused me as to what it means to be a scientist. I though it was the job of 100 percent of scientist to find evidence to show that 99.99 percent were wrong.

Willhud9:
This link is saying that although there are some researchers that object to the theropod origins of modern birds, the evidence they provide is weak and insubstantial. Way to check your source. Next:

So you are saying that weak and insubstantial evidence should be ignored?

Willhud9:
Even Melchor has said though, IN THAT LINK, that this does not disprove the theropod bird hypothesis. So far no skeletal remains have been found of a creature who could produce such tracks and so far, there a wide array of explanations. Only the "Birds are not Dinosaurs" supporters are overly concerned about this. Most in the scientific community view it as interesting but not enough to topple a huge amount of evidence.

See all my previous comments. I'm sure you know that birds by their make-up are extremely unlikely to fossilize easily.

Willhud9:
And what do you suppose? That modern birds actually lived in that era? Yeah because that makes more sense than assuming a group of unknown theropods.

While there is a chance it shouldn't be ruled out. I have been told in the past that what we think makes common sense isn't always the case.

Willhud:
To bad, Feduccia left out cladistics in his research. That right there makes it weaker. As for Martin, he is a researcher on Caudipteryx, and disagrees with the general consensus, why does his opinion matter more than others?

Why should his opinion matter any less?

Willhud:
They are a few mavericks who wish to attempt to disprove a well accepted theory with a huge amount of evidence in support of it. They have their work cut out for them. As your first link states, most evidence against the birds are dinosaurs theory is weak and not enough to discredit the theory. I think I am going to trust the consensus on this one, unless of course Charlie you want to provide compelling evidence on contrary. The evidence these scientists give are easily shrugged off by the scientific community. Do you have something better?

I'm not looking for "something better" in the evidence, I'm looking for a bit of objectivity and impartiality.
CharlieM

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1598  Postby Rumraket » Sep 03, 2011 8:46 pm

CharlieM can I ask you to please use the quote-function properly? When you address sections and quotes nested within quotes, your posts are difficult to respond to and require a lot of editing to get the proper understand of who said what.

For example, if we replace () with [] in the following example:

(quote="CharlieM")(quote="Rumraket")Bla bla X, Y then Z(/quote)
I disagree bla bla Z, X then Y(/quote)

It will produce
CharlieM wrote:
Rumraket wrote:Bla bla X, Y then Z

I disagree bla bla Z, X then Y.

Which makes context much easier to follow and respond to. Thanks.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#1599  Postby Gary S. Gaulin » Sep 03, 2011 10:51 pm

UnderConstruction wrote:
Gary S. Gaulin wrote:
As the Adam and Eve papers you just showed indicate, the rules of science very much allows use of their names where applicable, .

It would be truer to say that the rules of science do not prohibit whimsical naming, surely?

In looking at the facts we have:

The evidence of chromosome speciation that makes our chromosome design different from all other primates. The head to head fusion only happened in our lineage, the 48's stayed 48's. All who had the 46 design had the chromosome design for human.

Fossil evidence has a classification system designating this humanness as "Homo" going back millions of years and into the estimated date range for the chromosome speciation event. With there being no way to get a full fossil series of each individual in our lineage at that exact time it has right along been more of a phylogenetics problem, with a chromosome fusion in it.

And there is the account of Adam and Eve that exists in Eastern and Western culture that describes a first human couple who were were suddenly aware of nakedness, who gave birth to all that we consider to be human. Where the story came from is in question, but it still exists as part of culture. Agreeing with the evidence makes this more than just a whimsical naming it gets them at the same place at the same time at the beginning of being human was.

So with science allowing what you consider as whimsical naming (not even same place at same time) a Chromosome Adam and Eve that gets them in the right place at the right time is just fine by science, to include. Does not change the way things are scientifically named or anything just makes it easier to conceptualize what happened. And is an ideal marker for when what we consider to be human began. Only makes sense that I mention the scientific convenience, that comes from a chromosomal Adam and Eve.
Gary S. Gaulin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1600  Postby patient zero » Sep 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Gary S. Gaulin wrote:In looking at the facts we have:

-incontrovertibly shown that your theory is not really a theory. :)
Calilasseia wrote:...WHY DO PROFESSIONAL PROPAGANDISTS FOR CREATIONISM HAVE TO LIE FOR THEIR DOCTRINE?
patient zero

Male

Birthday
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism