Why is Creationism in the Debunk Section?

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Why is Creationism in the Debunk Section?

#1  Postby willhud9 » Jul 15, 2010 1:04 am

First of all, I am a Christian and I do believe in creationism; and I realize creationism is not a science(sorry any of my brothers or sisters who think it is), but why is it on the debunking list? It is rational enough to be debated intelligently and professionally and because it entails and mingles with the realm of science can easily fit into a pseudo-science category rather than a debunk. Just wondering =]
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why is Creationism in the Debunk Section?

#2  Postby Macdoc » Jul 15, 2010 1:15 am

hmmmmmm pondering which category of human foolishness to park it in... :what: :doh:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 15, 2010 1:20 am

Try because reality says that the blind assertions of creationism are wrong. That a succinct enough answer for you?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DaveD » Jul 15, 2010 1:20 am

willhud9 wrote:I realize creationism is not a science(sorry any of my brothers or sisters who think it is)

You've pretty much answered the question yourself - too many creationists come here and aggressively insist that it is science, and claim to be able to prove it (without, of course, actually getting round to doing so!)
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mr P » Jul 15, 2010 1:21 am

willhud9 wrote:First of all, I am a Christian and I do believe in creationism; and I realize creationism is not a science(sorry any of my brothers or sisters who think it is), but why is it on the debunking list? It is rational enough to be debated intelligently and professionally and because it entails and mingles with the realm of science can easily fit into a pseudo-science category rather than a debunk. Just wondering =]

Hmmm, you make a valid point as there's nothing to debunk, it's a discipline that (by your own admission) is unscientific. However the brothers and sisters to whom you refer seem to think differently so points have to be addressed and evidence presented whenever any serious* enquiry is made.

*Note for Evolutiondebunked, yours is not a serious enquiry.
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine and I can know much more!
Brother Cavil, BSG
Mr P

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby PhiloKGB » Jul 15, 2010 1:23 am

This is a casual message board; the administration probably isn't interested in seeking the opinions of philosophers about the proper categorization of creationism. Besides, what difference does it make? Does the location of the sub-forum somehow affect how you can argue whatever it is you want to argue?
PhiloKGB

Print view this post

#7  Postby pawiz » Jul 15, 2010 1:24 am

willhud9 wrote:First of all, I am a Christian and I do believe in creationism; and I realize creationism is not a science(sorry any of my brothers or sisters who think it is), but why is it on the debunking list? It is rational enough to be debated intelligently and professionally and because it entails and mingles with the realm of science can easily fit into a pseudo-science category rather than a debunk. Just wondering =]

What are you a Creationist?
It is my deeply held belief that (insert name of favored deity here) is a complete fuckwit. Please respect my beliefs.
pawiz

Name: Paul
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby willhud9 » Jul 15, 2010 2:44 am

I am a creationist in the sense that I believe the Bible is true, the whole controversy over technicalities such as age of earth etc. are questions I'd gladly debate, but ultimately concede to truly know the answer when I die and go to Heaven. If I do not, then I know I was wrong(figuratively speaking of course).

However, being ever interested in science I was prompted to join this website and give my arguments. Where I do not fully agree with macro-evolution, I do not fully agree with creationism and the "theories" creationists claim to create. In fact, I am relativly new to the Christian walk and I have more skill and knowledge in atheistic evolution than I do in creationism.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby pawiz » Jul 15, 2010 2:48 am

willhud9 wrote:I am a creationist in the sense that I believe the Bible is true, the whole controversy over technicalities such as age of earth etc. are questions I'd gladly debate, but ultimately concede to truly know the answer when I die and go to Heaven. If I do not, then I know I was wrong(figuratively speaking of course).

However, being ever interested in science I was prompted to join this website and give my arguments. Where I do not fully agree with macro-evolution, I do not fully agree with creationism and the "theories" creationists claim to create. In fact, I am relativly new to the Christian walk and I have more skill and knowledge in atheistic evolution than I do in creationism.

Have you researched what "science" is? It's a good place to start.

And welcome and thank you for not coming here threatening hell-fire and with what looks like an inquisitive mind.

I look forward to discussing these issues with you.

- Paul
It is my deeply held belief that (insert name of favored deity here) is a complete fuckwit. Please respect my beliefs.
pawiz

Name: Paul
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby willhud9 » Jul 15, 2010 2:52 am

Science is the logical explanation for natural phenomena, or at least that is the standard text book definition we are drilled in basic science 101 classes. Hence, creationism cannot be a science due to the fact it involves supernatural components. Not to say their is a non existence of said supernatural component, but rather science is trying to discover logical means to the end without presupposing the idea of supernatural phenomena.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby saggrock » Jul 15, 2010 3:05 am

willhud9 wrote:I am a creationist in the sense that I believe the Bible is true, the whole controversy over technicalities such as age of earth etc. are questions I'd gladly debate, but ultimately concede to truly know the answer when I die and go to Heaven. If I do not, then I know I was wrong(figuratively speaking of course).

The first thing that you should learn is that there is no such thing as "atheistic evolution"! There is Atheism and there is Evolution, neither have anything to do with each other!
"Stay thirsty my friends" - The Most Interesting Man in the World
saggrock

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Onyx8 » Jul 15, 2010 3:07 am

It's in debunk because it is rubbish and occasionally needs to be shown to be such to people.

And welcome.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby willhud9 » Jul 15, 2010 3:21 am

saggrock wrote: The first thing that you should learn is that there is no such thing as "atheistic evolution"! There is Atheism and there is Evolution, neither have anything to do with each other!

Force of habit, I say that, because there is theistic evolution, in which "God guided evolution processes." I only used it for clarification purposes.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Ash » Jul 15, 2010 3:25 am

It's in debunk because debunking is usually all that can be done with creationist arguments.

Welcome btw, don't let us scare you off!
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
Ash

Female

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby PhiloKGB » Jul 15, 2010 3:34 am

willhud9 wrote:Science is the logical explanation for natural phenomena, or at least that is the standard text book definition we are drilled in basic science 101 classes. Hence, creationism cannot be a science due to the fact it involves supernatural components. Not to say their is a non existence of said supernatural component, but rather science is trying to discover logical means to the end without presupposing the idea of supernatural phenomena.

The problem is, once we permit supernatural explanations, all such explanations are epistemically identical. Explanations that, by definition, are not amenable to empirical inquiry are also indistinguishable from each other.
PhiloKGB

Print view this post

#16  Postby robinhood » Jul 15, 2010 4:13 am

well willhud, first and foremost, I am always glad to see a polite creationist (I have debated creationists on numerous occasions on other forums and websites) and I am sure that many here (me included) would be more than happy to debate you in a polite and courteous manner. To get to your question, creationism is in the debunk section because this is a site primarily geared towards atheists. Because mostly atheists come here, barely anyone believes in creationism and debate against it regularly. Because it is debated against by most of the members it is put in the debunk section because we frequently feel that it is usually not up to par with actual scientific theories. The number of credible scientists that actually support I.D or creationism are the VAST minority.
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
robinhood

Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Blitzkrebs » Jul 15, 2010 4:44 am

It's in the debunk forum because the strands of creationism most people ken - like Young Earth Creationism and Intelligent Design - have had decades to demonstrate they don't go against the evidence from the real world that scientists work with every day. Not only has creationism failed to do such, it doesn't even provide a coherent framework of its own. Can creationists even agree whether dinosaurs existed? No. Can they agree about the age of the Earth? Again, the answer is no.

We have no grounds to treat it seriously.

Welcome to the forum, btw!
ikster7579 wrote:Being rational is just an excuse for not wanting to have faith.
Blitzkrebs

Name: Roy
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby robinhood » Jul 15, 2010 4:59 am

wait, I thought that they all thought that dinos at least EXISTED at some point in time. What organization thinks they didn't? lol.
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
robinhood

Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 15, 2010 8:33 am

Indeed, before I address more serious issues with respect to the entire creationist enterprise, the one fact that stands out starkly is that creationists cannot even agree with each other with respect to the answers to certain specific questions. The classic example being the instance where, over at the Richard Dawkins Forums when they were still operating, one poster produced a nice illustration of various skulls of various hominid fossils, and demonstrated that various professional creationists could not agree as to which of those skulls were purportedly "fully ape" and which were purportedly "fully human", two terms that those of us who paid attention in science classes regard as fatuous, because the hard evidence points to the fact that humans ARE apes, and if there is any doubt about this, then I have the Nature paper on the sequencing of the chimpanzee genome and its direct comparison to the human genome, amongst other papers, to bring to the table.

Even worse, several creationists have demonstrated on numerous occasions that when they erect various apologetic fabrications to prop up their doctrine, they cannot even exert the effort required to keep those fabrications internally consistent from one day to the next. They post knee-jerk apologetic pseudo-responses to various questions, thinking that this somehow "answers" those questions, without bothering to take note of the fact that some of their apologetic pseudo-responses are mutually contradictory. And yes, I can point to examples of this if required.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Arcanyn » Jul 15, 2010 9:29 am

willhud9 wrote:Science is the logical explanation for natural phenomena, or at least that is the standard text book definition we are drilled in basic science 101 classes. Hence, creationism cannot be a science due to the fact it involves supernatural components. Not to say their is a non existence of said supernatural component, but rather science is trying to discover logical means to the end without presupposing the idea of supernatural phenomena.

Science is the art of explaining phenomena which can be shown to exist. No supernatural phenomenon has been shown to exist, which makes investigating them impossible. If it were the case that one or more godlings were to come to Earth and go around performing miracles, we would certainly be able to investigate them, and use the information to make determinations as to the nature of these beings. The only reason science cannot study gods and learn things about them, is because to date there have been no gods for us to study.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism