All the Water on Earth

Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Meteorology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

All the Water on Earth

#1  Postby kennyc » Jan 02, 2013 12:08 pm

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: All the Water on Earth

#2  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 02, 2013 3:45 pm

That's a nice graphic.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » Jan 02, 2013 6:48 pm

The_Metatron wrote:That's a nice graphic.

Very nice indeed and a bit mind boggling to me because just on a gut level I would have expected the drop to be quite a bit bigger than is shown. So much for gut feelings, eh?

It illustrates just how badly we need to preserve and protect the planet's fresh water and to do something about the ocean acidifying from atmospheric C02 pollution.
Capitalism is obsolete, yet we keep dancing with its corpse.

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2

Name: Sean Rooney
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Jan 02, 2013 6:57 pm

So - not enough to cover every mountain high.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » Jan 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Animavore wrote:So - not enough to cover every mountain high.

Certainly not, although about 57 per cent of Hawaii, the world's tallest mountain (at 33,476 feet), is under water.
Capitalism is obsolete, yet we keep dancing with its corpse.

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2

Name: Sean Rooney
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Onyx8 » Jan 03, 2013 10:39 pm

So, I assume the large water sphere is salt, the smaller is fresh, and the tiny one atmospheric?

Oh, never mind:
That one represents fresh water in all the lakes and rivers on the planet, and most of the water people and life of earth need every day comes from these surface-water sources. The volume of this sphere is about 22,339 mi3 (93,113 km3). The diameter of this sphere is about 34.9 miles (56.2 kilometers). Yes, Lake Michigan looks way bigger than this sphere, but you have to try to imagine a bubble almost 35 miles high—whereas the average depth of Lake Michigan is less than 300 feet (91 meters).
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Berthold » May 01, 2013 1:02 pm

FACT-MAN-2 wrote:Very nice indeed and a bit mind boggling to me because just on a gut level I would have expected the drop to be quite a bit bigger than is shown. So much for gut feelings, eh?

Earth scaled down to this size with real-proportion surface features would feel as smooth as a billard ball. You would need a globe of 1 m diameter to get a few mountains that are about 1 mm high. ;)
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#8  Postby trubble76 » May 01, 2013 1:28 pm

When it is presented like this, it makes it easier to accept that every drop of water probably did come from collisions with comets. I always found it hard to accept as I thought that much water arriving in that way seemed improbable. I accepted it because I couldn't think of a better alternative, and because it was accepted by experts in the field without much controversy, but it seems far more likely now.

Interesting picture. :cheers:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Earth Sciences