Race to drill into Antarctic lake

Lake Vostok, or bust.

Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Meteorology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Race to drill into Antarctic lake

#1  Postby DougC » Feb 07, 2012 3:40 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16907998

"Russian scientists are racing to beat US and UK rivals and be first to drill into an Antarctic sub-glacial lake.
The team has been drilling down to Lake Vostok, the largest of more than 100 bodies of liquid water buried under Antarctica's ice.
The lake has been sealed off from the surface for millennia, so it may contain life forms new to science."
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Race to drill into Antarctic lake

#2  Postby Weaver » Feb 07, 2012 4:59 am

I have real concerns about this "race", and the contamination of the water which is sure to happen when these oil-lubricated drills penetrate through the ice.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Blackadder » Feb 07, 2012 5:05 am

Weaver wrote:I have real concerns about this "race", and the contamination of the water which is sure to happen when these oil-lubricated drills penetrate through the ice.

The article states that they are using a thermal drill for the final phase. These are scientists not miners, so I would imagine that they are aware of the risks of contamination?
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Weaver » Feb 07, 2012 5:08 am

The upper parts of the shaft are still filled with oil, though, and I think the chance of contamination is still significant.

I would love to be proven wrong.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 07, 2012 5:46 am

I agree Blackadder, I think they (even the Ruskies) are aware of the significance of preserving the environment from contamination, however, I'm also pretty sure that the other teams are feeling the same nervousness as you, which makes it even more of a race.

I'm really looking forward to some fascinating discoveries which there no doubt will be.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Blackadder » Feb 07, 2012 7:30 am

Weaver, having now read about this on ASOC's website and other sources, I share your concern. It seems that the Russians are motivated by political concerns to "win the race" at the possible expense of hygiene. Even a few litres of kerosene deposited into a lake that has probably been sealed off from the external environment for 400,000 years is pretty stupid and unnecessary. :nono:

http://www.asoc.org/issues-and-advocacy/antarctic-environmental-protection/lake-vostok
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Feb 07, 2012 7:36 am

These oil companies spend all winter campaigning against global warming, but all summer drilling fresh oil reserves which have been covered by ice sheets for millennia (until now)?
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Zwaarddijk » Feb 07, 2012 10:09 am

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:These oil companies spend all winter campaigning against global warming, but all summer drilling fresh oil reserves which have been covered by ice sheets for millennia (until now)?

Oil companies? What?
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Feb 07, 2012 10:12 am

Zwaarddijk wrote:
Ihavenofingerprints wrote:These oil companies spend all winter campaigning against global warming, but all summer drilling fresh oil reserves which have been covered by ice sheets for millennia (until now)?

Oil companies? What?

haha sorry. It's scientists. Serves me right for not reading properly.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » Feb 07, 2012 12:30 pm

Weaver wrote:I have real concerns about this "race", and the contamination of the water which is sure to happen when these oil-lubricated drills penetrate through the ice.

It appears to me that the idea o a "race" is just so much media hogwash. The Russians have been at this for more than a decade, so if there is a race, they have a gargantuan head start, which kind of nullifies the idea of a "race" going on.

The Russians have shown great patience in this undertaking and demonstrated themselves to be responsible scientific researchers.

Moreover, the Russians have by no means been cavalier regarding the issue of contamination.

By Katia Moskvitch
Science reporter, BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12275979

(snippage)

Eager to explore the ancient lake, scientists started drilling and managed to go as deep as about 3,600m - but when the untouched waters were only some 130m away, in 1998, the project ground to a halt.

Antarctica's Vostok station was built in 1956

"We had to stop because of the concerns of possible contamination of the lake," explained Alexey Ekaikin, a member of the current expedition, who spoke to the BBC Russian Service from Vostok station.

He said that drilling was resumed in 2004, when the team came up with new, ecologically safe methods of probing the lake.
“We have to make a huge effort not to spoil the environment by being interested in it.”

In November 2010, the scientists submitted a final environmental evaluation of the project to the Antarctic Treaty's environmental protection committee and were given the go-ahead to sample the ancient waters.

They said that instead of drilling into the lake, they would go down until a sensor on the drill detects free water.

Then they would take the drill out without going any further and adjust the pressure so that instead of any liquid in the borehole falling down into the lake, water in the lake would be sucked up.

Then the drill would be taken away and left for quite some time to freeze, creating a plug of frozen ice in the bottom of the hole.

Finally, next season, the team would drill down again to take a sample of that ice and analyse it.

(snippage)

continues...

I'd say your concerns were badly misplaced and typical of American attitudes toward Russia.
Capitalism is obsolete, yet we keep dancing with its corpse.

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2

Name: Sean Rooney
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Weaver » Feb 07, 2012 4:22 pm

FACT-MAN-2 wrote:

It appears to me that the idea o a "race" is just so much media hogwash. The Russians have been at this for more than a decade, so if there is a race, they have a gargantuan head start, which kind of nullifies the idea of a "race" going on.

The Russians have shown great patience in this undertaking and demonstrated themselves to be responsible scientific researchers.

Moreover, the Russians have by no means been cavalier regarding the issue of contamination.

By Katia Moskvitch

(snippage)

Eager to explore the ancient lake, scientists started drilling and managed to go as deep as about 3,600m - but when the untouched waters were only some 130m away, in 1998, the project ground to a halt.

"We had to stop because of the concerns of possible contamination of the lake," explained Alexey Ekaikin, a member of the current expedition, who spoke to the BBC Russian Service from Vostok station.

He said that drilling was resumed in 2004, when the team came up with new, ecologically safe methods of probing the lake.
“We have to make a huge effort not to spoil the environment by being interested in it.”

In November 2010, the scientists submitted a final environmental evaluation of the project to the Antarctic Treaty's environmental protection committee and were given the go-ahead to sample the ancient waters.

They said that instead of drilling into the lake, they would go down until a sensor on the drill detects free water.

Then they would take the drill out without going any further and adjust the pressure so that instead of any liquid in the borehole falling down into the lake, water in the lake would be sucked up.

Then the drill would be taken away and left for quite some time to freeze, creating a plug of frozen ice in the bottom of the hole.

Finally, next season, the team would drill down again to take a sample of that ice and analyse it.

(snippage)

continues...

I'd say your concerns were badly misplaced and typical of American attitudes toward Russia.

(Blue color highlighting added)

What the fuck?

As I said, I would be quite happy to be proven wrong - but I am still concerned that the proposed methods will allow contamination of the drill-shaft oil into the lake. This has absolutely nothing to do with the nationality of the drilling team - nothing I said anywhere indicated I thought that, and I don't.

I don't know what the fuck your problem with me is, but you need to back off and quit personalizing everything.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby orpheus » Feb 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Somehow John Carpenter's "The Thing" comes to mind. As does Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness".

:shifty:
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Sityl » Feb 07, 2012 5:43 pm

orpheus wrote:Somehow John Carpenter's "The Thing" comes to mind. As does Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness".

Oh yes, and Alien v. Predator. :shifty:
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby DougC » Feb 08, 2012 1:30 am

To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » Feb 08, 2012 4:02 am

Weaver wrote:
FACT-MAN-2 wrote:

By Katia Moskvitch

(snippage)

(snippage)

continues...

(Blue color highlighting added)

What the fuck?

As I said, I would be quite happy to be proven wrong - but I am still concerned that the proposed methods will allow contamination of the drill-shaft oil into the lake.

No, it won't. They presented their plans to the governing body, the "Antarctic Treaty's environmental protection committee, and were given the go-ahead to sample the ancient waters" and in the quoted passages I posted from the BBC's article, they stated quite unequivocally that their drill would not penetrate into the water but would rather stop just short of that. Then it'll take them more than a year to get into the water and retrieve samples using a sanitary system. These guys are being careful.

Weaver wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with the nationality of the drilling team - nothing I said anywhere indicated I thought that, and I don't.

I don't know what the fuck your problem with me is, but you need to back off and quit personalizing everything.

I don't know that it's a "problem" but you often come off like a Rah! Rah! kind of Yankee of the type who are infected with the American Exceptionalism virus, which can be hard to live down when it is indeed the case, and it's a manner that's never struck me as being too bright nor very likable.

I'm happy to hear what you express here, which is good news to my ears. My apologies for the harsh judgement.
Capitalism is obsolete, yet we keep dancing with its corpse.

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2

Name: Sean Rooney
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby ElDiablo » Feb 08, 2012 2:42 pm

:popcorn:
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby BlackBart » Feb 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Sityl wrote:
orpheus wrote:Somehow John Carpenter's "The Thing" comes to mind. As does Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness".

Reported. :nono:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby orpheus » Feb 08, 2012 3:01 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Sityl wrote:

Reported. :nono:

Ok...but I'm curious: why?

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Weaver » Feb 08, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm guessing that anyone who posts up AVP as a response to such great works as The Thing and anything by Lovecraft deserves to be (jokingly) reported?

Just my personal, unofficial, non-Moderating, joking reply
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby orpheus » Feb 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Weaver wrote:I'm guessing that anyone who posts up AVP as a response to such great works as The Thing and anything by Lovecraft deserves to be (jokingly) reported?

Just my personal, unofficial, non-Moderating, joking reply

Ah, yes. Of course. I've not seen AVP, so I didn't get that. I've heard about it, though. I still have no desire to see it.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Earth Sciences