Unintended Consequences

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Unintended Consequences

#281  Postby falasha » Jun 22, 2010 1:08 am

debunk wrote:
falasha wrote:
debunk wrote:
falasha wrote:Debunk,
The wiki article also says; Religion is often described as a communal system for the coherence of belief focusing on a system of thought, unseen being, person, or object, that is considered to be supernatural, sacred, divine, or of the highest truth.

This tribe has a communal belief in unseen being that is considered to be supernatural. So this tribe fits the definition.

Where did you read that they considered them supernatural, sacred, divine or of the highest truth?

Supernatural is a term we atheists use to describe spirits. They probably do not consider these spririts (either evil or good) as supernatural. Do you consider evil spirits supernatural? Or do you think they can be measured and quantified?

Please pay attention to the entire definition. The word "supernatural" doesn't just float around in a vacuum without a context. It says "is considered to be supernatural, sacred, divine, or of the highest truth". It's quite clear that it is to be considered that way by the ones adhering to the religion. If it didn't the "sacred, divine or of the highest truth" part wouldn't make any sense.
I'm sure you're not suggesting that non-adherents of the religion are to consider it "sacred, divine or of the highest truth" in order for something to be a religion, right?

The operative word is "or". OR of the highest truth. Non-adherents of a religious system are outside of the culture, therefore, they would not be participants in common cultural images.
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#282  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 22, 2010 1:09 am

falasha wrote:Here is a definition of culture that I found: Culture: is a shared, learned, symbolic system of values, beliefs and attitudes that shapes and influences perception and behavior -- an abstract "mental blueprint" or "mental code." This definition would preclude all species except Homo Sapien Sapien because of the ability to symbolically represent a belief system. Symbolic representation is a function of language.

This is unequivocally false. Pick almost any animal you like, and type that into google scholar with the phrase "Symbolic matching to sample" after it and you'll get millions of hits. SMTS is a standard behavioral procedure where the subject is presented with an abstract symbol and they have to respond by correctly identifying what this symbol represents. I'm not aware of any animal that can't do this. And as for language, animals are incredibly good at picking up language.

I made a post here with links to a few areas of animal research, including animals learning language, concept formation, their appreciation of art, etc.

falasha wrote:It is not surprising that pidgeons are able to differentiate between natural and man-made. Today's pidgeons that inhabit the cities of Africa, Middle East and Europe are descendents of domesticated birds used in religious worship many thousands of years ago.

Sure, but pigeons aren't the only animals that can do this - it was just an example.

falasha wrote:
IIzO wrote:
falasha wrote:Not all social behavior created culture. As a matter of fact, only in Homo and Cetaceans has social behaviour contributed to culture. As stated before, many social species never created culture, therefore, cooperative hunting efforts is not the key.

Not only homo and cetaceans , every species where the behaviors (i don't use the word belief ) are learnt and transmited from social interactions and not directly the result of their genes.

Of course humanity did not appear out of thin air! It evolved over hundreds of thousands of years building on cultural concepts of predecessors.

:thumbup:

Before language was complex it was rudimentary. The rudimentary roots of language still exist within the words we use today.

You should use "languageS" since the diversity of them show that the signs and symbols used are arbitrary and still coexisting.

As words were built, more complex concepts could be conveyed. More complex concepts created new words and so on and so on. A word is a meme because it can be replicated, modified and passed along. It can also be deconstructed to analyse it most basic components (like genes).

:thumbup:
Now all i need you to explain me is what is "religion" and what it has to do with everything else as a "necessary" component for bringing up competitive kids.

I totally disagree. No other specie learns behaviors and then passes it on. The dog that is laying on the floor beside me has pretty much the same behaviors as the wolf in the wild.

Definitely incorrect. Whilst I understand that you're trying to make a point in this thread, falasha, I recommend that you avoid comments on animal behavior as so far you appear to have been wrong on every claim you've made. Firstly, many species learn behaviors and pass them on. The best example I can think of with regards to this is the New Caledonian crows who pass down tool making and tool-use skills to their young, who then pass it on to theirs etc. The crows have an innate behavior that leads them to pull and try to modify leaves and twigs, but the tools they make "instinctually" are useless - they require a social input. And if you look at different crow populations across New Caledonia, you find that each group has it's own methods and tools. In effect, they have their own cultures of tool manufacture.

You'll also love to learn that they modify their tool depending on the unique situation, making it thinner or thicker, using barbed leaves for some food sources and using blunt sticks for others, and they also change methods of "catching" their food - they can either 'fish' them out of a tree with a hook, or they can push them through the other side and pick them up, etc. And this is just one species, there are many other examples of species behaving in similar ways - as Hugh pointed out, chimps use tools very effectively also.

As for dogs have pretty much the same behaviors as wolves in the wild, this is ridiculously bad on many levels. Firstly, wolves and dogs are different species, so naturally their behaviors differ greatly. And secondly, the behavior of a domesticated dog is vastly different to that of a wild dog due to it's learning. We shape the behaviors of our animals, so much so that they no longer resemble their "natural" counterparts.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#283  Postby falasha » Jun 22, 2010 1:11 am

Shrunk wrote:Just came across this thread. 14 pages is a lot to wade thru to find out if falasha ever gets beyond the meaningless word salad of the OP, so if anyone would be so kind as to let me know...

Here's an idea; why not spend your time on something more worthwhile? If you are already so sure the OP is worthless, then why not just move along and read something more in keeping with your preconceived ideas?
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#284  Postby debunk » Jun 22, 2010 1:14 am

falasha wrote:
debunk wrote:
falasha wrote:
debunk wrote:
The wiki article also says; Religion is often described as a communal system for the coherence of belief focusing on a system of thought, unseen being, person, or object, that is considered to be supernatural, sacred, divine, or of the highest truth.

This tribe has a communal belief in unseen being that is considered to be supernatural. So this tribe fits the definition.

Where did you read that they considered them supernatural, sacred, divine or of the highest truth?

Supernatural is a term we atheists use to describe spirits. They probably do not consider these spririts (either evil or good) as supernatural. Do you consider evil spirits supernatural? Or do you think they can be measured and quantified?

Please pay attention to the entire definition. The word "supernatural" doesn't just float around in a vacuum without a context. It says "is considered to be supernatural, sacred, divine, or of the highest truth". It's quite clear that it is to be considered that way by the ones adhering to the religion. If it didn't the "sacred, divine or of the highest truth" part wouldn't make any sense.
I'm sure you're not suggesting that non-adherents of the religion are to consider it "sacred, divine or of the highest truth" in order for something to be a religion, right?

The operative word is "or". OR of the highest truth. Non-adherents of a religious system are outside of the culture, therefore, they would not be participants in common cultural images.

You are completely ignoring what I've said. Could you please actually address the post you've quoted?
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
debunk

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#285  Postby IIzO » Jun 22, 2010 1:18 am

falasha wrote:

What you are describing is behaviorism.

:what: ...your use of the word in the sentence made no sense in regard with my post.

Supposedly, if all these chimps were to associate the stick with food (termites) and then were shown a stick, they would associate food with stick (just like Pavlov's dog).

They naturally associate the act of getting termites with the stick after having learn it ,otherwise they wouldn't be able to use it repeatedly times after times.

It would be considered symbolism if they were shown a drawing of a stick and started salivating.

:what: hum chimps are not dogs and salivating isn't the only behavior that is evidence of symbolic connections, and chimps pretty much already display their association between a random stick on the ground (or actually whatever theymake it from ) and getting the termites in their mouth .
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#286  Postby debunk » Jun 22, 2010 1:26 am

:coffee:
debunk

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#287  Postby IIzO » Jun 22, 2010 1:30 am

that was one hell of an edit debunk :whistle: .
Not that i don't understand the frustration of having to repeat myself and ask for the same things again and again :(
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#288  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 22, 2010 1:34 am

IIzO wrote:
falasha wrote:

:what: ...your use of the word in the sentence made no sense in regard with my post.

I think she's using it in the oversimplified and incorrect way, where behaviorism means "simple stimulus-response reaction that doesn't require any cognitive actions". People often assume that because things like abstract thought, creativity, symbolism, etc., are trained through behavioral principles, that they no longer carry any meaning behind them - they are no longer seen as "true" abstract thought, creativity, or symbolism, and are 'manufactured' or 'synthetic' in some sense. It's akin to thinking that a rainbow is no longer a rainbow when you learn that the colours are created by refracted light.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#289  Postby debunk » Jun 22, 2010 1:35 am

IIzO wrote:that was one hell of an edit debunk :whistle: .
Not that i don't understand the frustration of having to repeat myself and ask for the same things again and again :(

I accidentally replied twice to the same post ;)
debunk

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#290  Postby falasha » Jun 22, 2010 2:26 am

debunk wrote:
falasha wrote:
debunk wrote:

You have asked me to redo this post - and so I will!

Please see page 61 of http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... MWB-kmtSIQ

Sorry, I cannot copy and paste this article. It is titled; "Cultural Constraints on Grammar in Piraha". Basically, it says their religion (yes religion) consists of dancing for and immitation of spirits in dress and behavior. They have one or two men in the tribe (prophets?) that frequently speak to and for the spirits. When they speak for the spirits, their speech is very rapid and and falsetto...
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#291  Postby falasha » Jun 22, 2010 2:29 am

Me TOO! I keep asking for examples of culture WITHOUT religion but all I have been told is that it must exist. Then I was given an example of an Amazonian tribe that obviously has a religious belief system. I have posted it.

SO, now that I have gone to all the work of reading something that the poster knew was not relevant, I must ask again. If you don't have an example/evidence then please just say so.
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#292  Postby falasha » Jun 22, 2010 2:35 am

Mr. Samsa,

While I admit I did not know about the Caledonian crows learning their behavior and passing it on, the ability to learn is not within the definition of culture. Also, it was a very interesting video about the crows. I watched as one crow sat his stick down and the other crow picked it up. It was obvious that the crow that fished out the grub was not the crow that would be able to eat it. Very intelligent! But where is the symbolic behaviour?
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#293  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 22, 2010 2:38 am

falasha wrote:

Me TOO! I keep asking for examples of culture WITHOUT religion but all I have been told is that it must exist. Then I was given an example of an Amazonian tribe that obviously has a religious belief system. I have posted it.

SO, now that I have gone to all the work of reading something that the poster knew was not relevant, I must ask again. If you don't have an example/evidence then please just say so.

You have it backwards falasha - you still need to demonstrate your claim that "religion is necessary for culture" is true. Whilst some people have been kind enough to provide reasons why we are skeptical of your claims, it is ultimately you who has the burden of proof.

Currently you've presented burial practices of early hominids and claimed this was a religious practice (against the scientific consensus), and stacked rocks, which do appear to have served some religious purpose but you did not show how that was related to culture in any way. So, present some evidence please.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#294  Postby falasha » Jun 22, 2010 2:43 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
IIzO wrote:
falasha wrote:

I think she's using it in the oversimplified and incorrect way, where behaviorism means "simple stimulus-response reaction that doesn't require any cognitive actions". People often assume that because things like abstract thought, creativity, symbolism, etc., are trained through behavioral principles, that they no longer carry any meaning behind them - they are no longer seen as "true" abstract thought, creativity, or symbolism, and are 'manufactured' or 'synthetic' in some sense. It's akin to thinking that a rainbow is no longer a rainbow when you learn that the colours are created by refracted light.

Please tell me how training a chimp to associate a particular color with food is any differernt than operant conditioning?
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#295  Postby falasha » Jun 22, 2010 2:50 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
falasha wrote:

You have it backwards falasha - you still need to demonstrate your claim that "religion is necessary for culture" is true. Whilst some people have been kind enough to provide reasons why we are skeptical of your claims, it is ultimately you who has the burden of proof.

Currently you've presented burial practices of early hominids and claimed this was a religious practice (against the scientific consensus), and stacked rocks, which do appear to have served some religious purpose but you did not show how that was related to culture in any way. So, present some evidence please.

I have made a statement that went something like: religion built culture, culture built language, language built the brain. I have given evidence of how religion built culture and that is where we are hung up. Not only have I given evidence but also examples. Many people have disputed this. All I need is for one person to give me an example of a culture without religion and I will delete my membership on this forum and everyone can rest easy that their view of the world is safe from non-conformists.

Here is carrot; Give me an example of culture without religion and I promise to never make another post again. Surely that is worth some googling effort?
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#296  Postby IIzO » Jun 22, 2010 2:58 am

Give me a exemple of religion without culture and maybe u'll have actually proved what you meant to prove falasha and noboby care about threat of quitting , if you can't stand the forum its your business.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#297  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 22, 2010 3:08 am

falasha wrote:Please tell me how training a chimp to associate a particular color with food is any differernt than operant conditioning?

Well, to put it very simply, associating a particular colour with food is classical conditioning (making it a stimulus-stimulus association) and not operant conditioning. Operant conditioning is when behavior is adapted as a result of its consequences in an environment. So for example, operant conditioning explains how chimps change the tools they use to catch different types of food in different situations, whereas classical conditioning would be the association the stick has to food.

But that wasn't my point. My point was simply that you seemed to be using the term "behaviorism" to refer to some 'automatic' response that is not capable of explaining symbolic thought, however, this is an unfair representation of behaviorism. Symbolic thought can not only be explained by behaviorism, but it can also be trained into animals and humans using precisely defined techniques and measured accurately.

falasha wrote:I have made a statement that went something like: religion built culture, culture built language, language built the brain. I have given evidence of how religion built culture and that is where we are hung up. Not only have I given evidence but also examples. Many people have disputed this. All I need is for one person to give me an example of a culture without religion and I will delete my membership on this forum and everyone can rest easy that their view of the world is safe from non-conformists.

Here is carrot; Give me an example of culture without religion and I promise to never make another post again. Surely that is worth some googling effort?

I haven't seen any evidence of religion building culture, nor have I seen any examples of such. Can you summarise them again for me here? (Note, if you're referring to the burial practices of early hominids then you need to demonstrate that this was a religious practice, and if you are referring to the stacking of rocks then you need to show how this relates to culture in any way).

We don't need to give you an example of culture without religion because you are the one making the claims! If you can't back up your claims, then we won't believe you. It may not be possible to show that a modern day culture exists without religion, because all humans populations have spread from the same original group and religion is a very old invention. However, as pointed out to you, consistent use of tools have been found long before the first evidence of religion came about - and the scientific community recognises tool-use as strong evidence for the presence of culture.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#298  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 22, 2010 3:22 am

falasha wrote:Mr. Samsa,

While I admit I did not know about the Caledonian crows learning their behavior and passing it on, the ability to learn is not within the definition of culture. Also, it was a very interesting video about the crows. I watched as one crow sat his stick down and the other crow picked it up. It was obvious that the crow that fished out the grub was not the crow that would be able to eat it. Very intelligent! But where is the symbolic behaviour?

The New Caledonian crows were in reply to your claim that "no other species learn behaviors and then passes it on". The example I gave you clearly invalidates your point.

However, it is well accepted in science that the manufacture of tools is a demonstration of symbolic thought (as it requires elements of foresight, prior knowledge, and the ability to adapt to novel situations). If you were objecting to my use of "cultures" to define the different populations of New Caledonian crows, you can read here about how research has ruled out all other forms of possible learning - the only way these crows learn to make the specific tools they do is through cultural transmission.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#299  Postby IIzO » Jun 22, 2010 3:27 am

falasha wrote:
IIzO wrote:
falasha wrote:Language built the brain, culture built language, religion built culture.

This one sentence is problematic.
Language built the brain.Is this to be understood as relating to evolution , or is this about individual devellopment ?
_If this is about evolution we have evidences of brain existing before any traces of "languages" (i.e. arbitrary set of signs used to relate to abstract ideas or actions).
_If this is about the devellopment of individuals (humans in this case) sure the use of language do shape the brain .

Culture built language.That we agree the interactions between cooperating individuals as well as their environment creates different symbols, but nontheless language being part of culture the wording is equivocating since part of the biology that gave us the ability to use complex signs and speech is partly random.

Religion built culture.The wording is equivocational , religion influences culture , as it make use of symbols and complex narratives that requires actions and such , but nontheless to exist a religion needs an already existing group of human with the ability to share , and the narrative and actions must be spread , meaning that a culture capable of sustaining the group already exists since the animal kingdom informs us that learning behaviors and acquiring beliefs is possible without a language .

While a human baby is born with all the axons he will ever have, the synaptic connections become thickened as he grows. As an image connects with related images, this pathway becomes hard-wired and available for the next time a related image receives an action potential.

Sorry, I did not understand your paragraph on culture.

If you have some evidence that culture exists without religion, please post it. That is all I ask. I keep asking but nobody has any evidence. The evidence that I have found proves the opposite. If you are human, you have a culture created by a belief system. If you have evidence that this is not true, please post it.

Your first paragraph added nothing to the discussion and you keep using the word "images" while eluding all other sensitive aspects , don't you forget that speech is made of sounds , and we have taste and other sensations?
The paragraph on culture is simple ,simple cultural behaviors are necesseraly precluding any complex one especially religions , and it's culture that do make religions as the influence of places and language structures and even the invention of arts are necesseraly anterior to their usage as symbols and their spreading.
Your so called evidence are not ,you keep using myth that do not even go back to pre history , and you use burial as an evidence of religion when it could be , as other posts to wich you actually never answered , shown otherwise.And anyway you still tried to bury behind the carpet the fact that we do actually told you that we had evidences of culture in the homo kind in the tools that they made , and even tought we do have those artefacts we have none that present any religious meaning.
And if you are wondering i am talking about homo abilis and the earliest evidences of the usage of tools are from Australopithecus garhi .Then again ,if you do not consider the usage and making of tools as a valid cultural behavior there is nothing else i can do.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#300  Postby falasha » Jun 22, 2010 3:44 am

IIzO wrote:Give me a exemple of religion without culture and maybe u'll have actually proved what you meant to prove falasha and noboby care about threat of quitting , if you can't stand the forum its your business.

Huh? You cannot have religion without culture. Religion creates culture. Maybe you meant something else?
falasha

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting & Education