Advances to society because of the Theory of Evolution

Please contribute

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Advances to society because of the Theory of Evolution

#1  Postby Teague » Apr 11, 2011 11:37 am

(If you can suggest a better thread title please do!Edit - i did from "science" to "society")

I was thinking it might be a good idea to show off the advances to the world due to the ToE. Not being up on such subjects, I would have to defer this to those of you that are read in this area and can add in actual advances rather than just saying "medical science". If we can get specific examples and a good list, my hope is that we can then reference this list when needed but moreso to give a positive light on how the ToE has affected us and what its given us in real terms - maybe like the million gods project, can we have the "thousand scientific advances due to the ToE".

Perhaps if people can see what it has done for us, they'll be able to see that it actually works. Any posts that add something to the list I'll edit my OP to incude it Doing a quick search I came across the following examples;

1. •Bioinformatics, a multi-billion-dollar industry, consists largely of the comparison of genetic sequences. Descent with modification is one of its most basic assumptions.
2. •Diseases and pests evolve resistance to the drugs and pesticides we use against them. Evolutionary theory is used in the field of resistance management in both medicine and agriculture (Bull and Wichman 2001).
3. •Evolutionary theory is used to manage fisheries for greater yields (Conover and Munch 2002).
4. •Artificial selection has been used since prehistory, but it has become much more efficient with the addition of quantitative trait locus mapping.
5. •Knowledge of the evolution of parasite virulence in human populations can help guide public health policy (Galvani 2003).
6. •Sex allocation theory, based on evolution theory, was used to predict conditions under which the highly endangered kakapo bird would produce more female offspring, which retrieved it from the brink of extinction (Sutherland 2002).
7. •Tracing genes of known function and comparing how they are related to unknown genes helps one to predict unknown gene function, which is foundational for drug discovery (Branca 2002; Eisen and Wu 2002; Searls 2003).
8. •Phylogenetic analysis is a standard part of epidemiology, since it allows the identification of disease reservoirs and sometimes the tracking of step-by-step transmission of disease. For example, phylogenetic analysis confirmed that a Florida dentist was infecting his patients with HIV, that HIV-1 and HIV-2 were transmitted to humans from chimpanzees and mangabey monkeys in the twentieth century, and, when polio was being eradicated from the Americas, that new cases were not coming from hidden reservoirs (Bull and Wichman 2001). It was used in 2002 to help convict a man of intentionally infecting someone with HIV (Vogel 1998). The same principle can be used to trace the source of bioweapons (Cummings and Relman 2002).
9. •Phylogenetic analysis to track the diversity of a pathogen can be used to select an appropriate vaccine for a particular region (Gaschen et al. 2002).
10. •Ribotyping is a technique for identifying an organism or at least finding its closest known relative by mapping its ribosomal RNA onto the tree of life. It can be used even when the organisms cannot be cultured or recognized by other methods. Ribotyping and other genotyping methods have been used to find previously unknown infectious agents of human disease (Bull and Wichman 2001; Relman 1999).
11. •Phylogenetic analysis helps in determining protein folds, since proteins diverging from a common ancestor tend to conserve their folds (Benner 2001).

Directed evolution allows the "breeding" of molecules or molecular pathways to create or enhance products, including:
12. •enzymes (Arnold 2001)
13. •pigments (Arnold 2001)
14. •antibiotics
15. •flavors
16. •biopolymers
17. •bacterial strains to decompose hazardous materials.
18. Directed evolution can also be used to study the folding and function of natural enzymes (Taylor et al. 2001).

It looks as though much of the above was taken from here; http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA215.html

Added by GenesForLife;

19.The use of model systems including Drosophila melanogaster, Caenorhabditis elegans, Danio rerio and even good old Saccharomyces cerevisiae to understand the function of genes and the application of the knowledge derived therefrom to human systems and understanding human diseases.

20. The identification of potential oncogenes in amplified regions of cancer cell genomes and the identification of tumour suppressors in segments that are prone to deletion and Loss of heterozygosity, both of which are based upon the selective advantages associated with overexpressing or losing certain genes.

21. The application of evolutionary algorithms to designing aircraft wings (Obayashi, http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf)

Added by Delvo (with commentary by Calilasseia);

22. Algorithms mimicking natural selection have yielded "designs" that have been used to build some bits of technology. [See for example, the paper on spacecraft antennae designed using evolutionary algorithms].

23. Shifting from science to society: it provides alternate explanations for physical and some cultural differences between peoples native to different regions of the world, thus debunking moralistic or otherwise judgemental explanations that have caused conflict between them or been used by one against another. It also helps our understanding of the kinds of mistakes our own minds can make without realizing it, which helps us develop ways to work around them, which makes us better at science research in general, technological development of all kinds, criminal justice, and social policy.
Last edited by Calilasseia on Apr 12, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added two new entries by Delvo (with minor commentary of my own added on) on Teague's behalf
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Advances to society because of the Theory of Evolution

#2  Postby GenesForLife » Apr 11, 2011 12:24 pm

19.The use of model systems including Drosophila melanogaster, Caenorhabditis elegans, Danio rerio and even good old Saccharomyces cerevisiae to understand the function of genes and the application of the knowledge derived therefrom to human systems and understanding human diseases.

20. The identification of potential oncogenes in amplified regions of cancer cell genomes and the identification of tumour suppressors in segments that are prone to deletion and Loss of heterozygosity, both of which are based upon the selective advantages associated with overexpressing or losing certain genes.

21. The application of evolutionary algorithms to designing aircraft wings (Obayashi, http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf)
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Teague » Apr 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Thanks GFL :) - I'll add them to the OP.

Come on people, add to the list!! :)
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 11, 2011 1:59 pm

22. Without the ToE, we wouldn't have the 'theory' of Intelligent Design, and we wouldn't be able to have such a good laugh at such incredible idiots. :cool:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Evolutionary developmental biology in combination with stem cell technologies will probably be used in the future to regrow organs, limbs, teeth etc that people have lost.

-------------

If for example, a creationist viewpoint was the GUT of biology, biology would probably not be able to achieve much. So in a sense, evolutionary theory [and genetics] is directly or indirectly responsible for advances in biology and biotechnology.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#6  Postby Teague » Apr 11, 2011 3:19 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:22. Without the ToE, we wouldn't have the 'theory' of Intelligent Design, and we wouldn't be able to have such a good laugh at such incredible idiots. :cool:

LOL i'm not sure that's a massive benefit to society, especially to those people that instead of laughing, pull out their hair ;)
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Teague » Apr 12, 2011 11:45 am

come on people, get with the program already!
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby sennekuyl » Apr 12, 2011 11:50 am

:coffee:
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Delvo » Apr 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Algorithms mimicking natural selection have yielded "designs" that have been used to build some bits of technology.

A possible future one: given the recent discovery of a link between tumors and the relationships between cells in a multicellular organism, future advances in oncology could come from lines of research which look at tumors as side effects of the evolution of multicellularity.

Shifting from science to society: it provides alternate explanations for physical and some cultural differences between peoples native to different regions of the world, thus debunking moralistic or otherwise judgemental explanations that have caused conflict between them or been used by one against another. It also helps our understanding of the kinds of mistakes our own minds can make without realizing it, which helps us develop ways to work around them, which makes us better at science research in general, technological development of all kinds, criminal justice, and social policy.
Delvo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Teague » Apr 12, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks Delvo, I'll add the 1st and 3rd and maybe add the 2nd in the future, lol.

Doesn't anyone find it amazing that people against the science of evolution are the same people quite happy with the science of cars, phones, tv, planes, trains.....etc - it's all the same science. Why is the stuff they use ok but not the stuff that goes against their doctrine. Surely if sciecne is so bogus they should just live in a cave.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Teague » Apr 12, 2011 1:35 pm

WTF happened there :shock:

Oh I see, I can't edit my OP and hit quote - how do i add it now?

Added by Delvo;

22. Algorithms mimicking natural selection have yielded "designs" that have been used to build some bits of technology.

23. Shifting from science to society: it provides alternate explanations for physical and some cultural differences between peoples native to different regions of the world, thus debunking moralistic or otherwise judgemental explanations that have caused conflict between them or been used by one against another. It also helps our understanding of the kinds of mistakes our own minds can make without realizing it, which helps us develop ways to work around them, which makes us better at science research in general, technological development of all kinds, criminal justice, and social policy.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Teague wrote:Thanks Delvo, I'll add the 1st and 3rd and maybe add the 2nd in the future, lol.

Doesn't anyone find it amazing that people against the science of evolution are the same people quite happy with the science of cars, phones, tv, planes, trains.....etc - it's all the same science. Why is the stuff they use ok but not the stuff that goes against their doctrine. Surely if sciecne is so bogus they should just live in a cave.

Most people don't really understand how science works, and just get on with their everyday lives. Religions are very good at creating mystery and magic, and many people think that is is magic. Religions are used to making up "agents" to explain phenomena, gods, devils, angels, etc. Technology as "magic".
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#13  Postby Teague » Apr 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
Teague wrote:Thanks Delvo, I'll add the 1st and 3rd and maybe add the 2nd in the future, lol.

Most people don't really understand how science works, and just get on with their everyday lives. Religions are very good at creating mystery and magic, and many people think that is is magic. Religions are used to making up "agents" to explain phenomena, gods, devils, angels, etc. Technology as "magic".

They may not understand how science works but if you said, "Do you understand how your TV works" and they said "no", then you could simply say, but you can still use it right, you can change channels and turn it on and install surround sound?

OK well you don't understand it but you never question it, so why are you questioning ToE? Are you saying that the same method ology that made your TV "right" has somehow got this "wrong"? How many times has your TV every done something weird and unexpected? Maybe once or twice? But it's still a tv right - nothing changed?

Hey that's a nice mobile/cell phone...

Science is science. If we can accept it for all of the things we use in everyday life, then how can someone turn around and say that science is wrong because it disagrees with their world view. Remember how arabs used to hate their pictures taken because it would capture their soul (they probably still do lol)?

There must be more than 23 advances - let's at least get 100?, we're 23% there already ;)
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 13, 2011 2:07 am

It's an interesting concept this thread. I'm sure there are specific cases of where the ToE has lead to advances, but I can't say i've ever really viewed the theory in that light. ToE addresses (to most extents) where we come from. The 'where do I/we come from' has got to be one of the most innate questions humans have always probably asked themselves. That's probably also why religion and superstition is so rife. I'd don't view the theory as needing to have practical advances to be of great worth in and of itself. I think it addresses many fundamental question of what it means to be human and part of the animal kingdom. That in itself makes it totally worthwhile in my mind, even if it contributed nothing of practical value whatsoever.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby DanDare » Apr 13, 2011 1:04 pm

The practical value of evolution and selection demonstrates its reality.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Eduard » Apr 13, 2011 1:22 pm

:coffee:

cool thread topic
-Ed

"Together we'll pull through. We are the strong, the brave, the few"
Eduard

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Delvo » Apr 13, 2011 1:37 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:It's an interesting concept this thread. I'm sure there are specific cases of where the ToE has lead to advances, but I can't say i've ever really viewed the theory in that light. ToE addresses (to most extents) where we come from. The 'where do I/we come from' has got to be one of the most innate questions humans have always probably asked themselves. That's probably also why religion and superstition is so rife. I'd don't view the theory as needing to have practical advances to be of great worth in and of itself. I think it addresses many fundamental question of what it means to be human and part of the animal kingdom. That in itself makes it totally worthwhile in my mind, even if it contributed nothing of practical value whatsoever.
I agree, I wouldn't touch anything like this thread's kind of thinking in a debate about the theory's accuracy compared to Creationism. The logical fallacy would be identical to Ben Stein's Nazi concentration camp schtick in "Expelled", and to one of the ones the race deniers are pulling in the race denial thread right here at this forum, in which they claim that admitting the fact that there are human races equals being a racist and wanting to oppress some races and/or enforce breeding programs for racial purity. In those cases, since they're done in a negative way, there's also poisoning-the-well going on, but even without that aspect of it, the core claim that they have in common with defending evolution based on positive things we've done with it is that a statement's accuracy or inaccuracy can be determined from how we feel about its alleged results or purpose.

But, in this case, we're not trying to use this to debate Creationists, just coming up with examples because it's interesting, so that objection doesn't apply...
Delvo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Teague » Apr 13, 2011 9:33 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:It's an interesting concept this thread. I'm sure there are specific cases of where the ToE has lead to advances, but I can't say i've ever really viewed the theory in that light. ToE addresses (to most extents) where we come from. The 'where do I/we come from' has got to be one of the most innate questions humans have always probably asked themselves. That's probably also why religion and superstition is so rife. I'd don't view the theory as needing to have practical advances to be of great worth in and of itself. I think it addresses many fundamental question of what it means to be human and part of the animal kingdom. That in itself makes it totally worthwhile in my mind, even if it contributed nothing of practical value whatsoever.

I agree but the question, "where do we come from" has a different answer to theists and they will ignore ToE as credible. By highlighting what the ToE has given humanity in quantifiable terms, it puts a face on it that people can relate to more easily.... perhaps.

By pointing out that the medicine they are taking is curing their or their childrens illness due to our knowledge of the ToE is perhaps more accesible than trying to explain natural selection, mutation, etc. I wouldn't calss myslef as a dummy but it took me a while to get my head around the explanation (actually a series of explanations, sometimes the explanaations go into too much depth leaving you scratching your head and I'm sure it's hindered even further if your a theist because you'll have massively conflicting answers which would make if difficult I guess).

By having a "in your face" broadcast of what the ToE has given us, I think that would help massively for people to come to grips with it - not necessarily understand it but if they can understand what it's given us and how important it is, maybe they'll come to accept it.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby sennekuyl » Apr 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Teague wrote:WTF happened there :shock:

Oh I see, I can't edit my OP and hit quote - how do i add it now?

Added by Delvo;

22. Algorithms mimicking natural selection have yielded "designs" that have been used to build some bits of technology.

Best solution would be to make a blog and link to it.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby willhud9 » Apr 14, 2011 3:18 am

My brother, bless his heart, plans on entering biological engineering. He decided this because of "Jesus giving sight to the blind" and my brother told me, he needs to be like Jesus. So he wants to create eyes that can be given to blind people to let them see. But we would not have bioengineers if it were not for our understanding of evolution. Thought I'd share that tidbit of information.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post