Chimps 'learn local grunts' to talk to new neighbours

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Chimps 'learn local grunts' to talk to new neighbours

#1  Postby DougC » Feb 05, 2015 5:42 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31128237
B.B.C. Article
Chimpanzees can change their grunts to communicate better with new companions, according to a study of two groups that were housed together in Edinburgh.
In 2010, nine new arrivals from a Dutch safari park used an excited, high-pitched call for apples - while the locals used a disinterested grunt.
By 2013, the Dutch chimps had switched to a similar low grunt, despite an undiminished passion for apples.
This is the first evidence of chimps re-learning such "referential calls".
The findings, reported in the journal Current Biology, suggest that when chimp grunts refer to objects, they can function in a surprisingly similar way to human words - instead of simply being governed by how the chimp feels about the object.
Indeed, our ability to learn new "words" from our peers might date back to a shared ancestor with chimpanzees, some six million years ago.
Dr Katie Slocombe, the paper's senior author, is a lecturer in psychology at the University of York.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Chimps 'learn local grunts' to talk to new neighbours

#2  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 06, 2015 1:50 pm

Odd that the paper does not refer to the fact that chimps often use a combination of calls and gestures to convey meaning. Perhaps "apple" happens not to involve a gesture in either group's language. :dunno:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Sendraks » Feb 06, 2015 2:02 pm

This report gives me hope that one day, different tribes of football supporters will be able to communicate peacefully with each other.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby trubble76 » Feb 08, 2015 11:37 am

Sendraks wrote:This report gives me hope that one day, different tribes of football supporters will be able to communicate peacefully with each other.

*disinterested grunt*
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection