Did the Deccan Traps event kill the dinosaurs

....or both...

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Did the Deccan Traps event kill the dinosaurs

#1  Postby kennyc » Dec 13, 2014 12:26 pm

Did a massive volcanic eruption in India kill off the dinosaurs?

There's a solid consensus among scientists about what happened to the dinosaurs 66 million years ago: A mountain-sized meteorite crashed into the planet and triggered a mass extinction. The debris from the impact has been found in hundreds of locations around the world. Geologists have also found signs of the giant crater, centered around the tip of Yucatan Peninsula.

But there has long been an alternate theory, espoused by a rump caucus of researchers who think they’ve never been given a fair hearing. They believe the extinction was caused, at least in part, by an extraordinary volcanic eruption in India.

This eruption created the Deccan Traps, a geological formation that covers nearly 200,000 square miles of western India. It was created by a flood of basaltic lava, the kind of eruption seen today on the Big Island in Hawaii. But the eruption that formed the Deccan Traps was unusually prolonged and prodigious. All told, the eruption produced about 1.3 million cubic kilometers of lava, which is about 1.3 million times as much material produced by the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens. The eruption pumped enormous, climate-changing quantities of carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spea ... dinosaurs/
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Did the Deccan Traps event kill the dinosaurs

#2  Postby Made of Stars » Dec 13, 2014 12:53 pm

The either-or / primary-secondary cause dichotomy is tiresome. If the Deccan traps event was contemporaneous with the Chicxulub event, then the dinosaurs were even more fucked than with either alone. End of.

Both should be a warning to us to get on with sorting our shit out, and getting out of this single little lifeboat.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Made of Stars wrote:....

Both should be a warning to us to get on with sorting our shit out, and getting out of this single little lifeboat.

Sadly, Made of Stars, this is the only "lifeboat" we're going to get. Only those who believe in the Star Trek fantasy think otherwise.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby kennyc » Dec 13, 2014 1:19 pm

Made of Stars wrote:The either-or / primary-secondary cause dichotomy is tiresome. If the Deccan traps event was contemporaneous with the Chicxulub event, then the dinosaurs were even more fucked than with either alone. End of.

Agreed!

Here's a piece of a poetic cycle I'm working on. :)

The Scientists

While they still had time
they collected seeds from
the Arctic Seed Repository.

They took human DNA Samples
from the U.S. Military AFRSSIR
and the Human Genome Project.

Animal DNA from the
Ambrose Monell Collection
and a variety of veterinary collections.

Even bacteria and virus
samples from the
National Institute of Health.

They stabilized these as best they
could and loaded them into three
radiation-hardened canisters

which were placed atop
three NASA Mars Rockets
and launched into interstellar space.

Even if the Earth were completely
destroyed by whateverthehell
these bugs were the DNA had

a chance, no matter how slim
to start somewhere else.
It was the best they could hope to do.

Kenny A. Chaffin – 1/27/2014
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Made of Stars » Dec 13, 2014 1:23 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

Sadly, Made of Stars, this is the only "lifeboat" we're going to get. Only those who believe in the Star Trek fantasy think otherwise.

Sadly, DavidMcC, that's a self-fulfilling prophecy. One that we'd be wise to ignore, if we don't want to go the way of the dinosaur.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby kennyc » Dec 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Made of Stars wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Sadly, DavidMcC, that's a self-fulfilling prophecy. One that we'd be wise to ignore, if we don't want to go the way of the dinosaur.

Yep, defeatist. We've already sent a few probes out, we are reaching, grasping, straining for Mars. If we can manage to survive a few more centuries we may be okay, but I do think we are at a critical phase in the evolution of life.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 13, 2014 3:27 pm

kennyc wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Yep, defeatist. We've already sent a few probes out, we are reaching, grasping, straining for Mars. If we can manage to survive a few more centuries we may be okay, but I do think we are at a critical phase in the evolution of life.

I am not arguing that we shouldn't attempt to colonise Mars, only that it is pointless and self-defeating to attemp to colonise other star systems - they are simply too far away.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 13, 2014 3:56 pm

... Even Mars would be out of reach for the vast majority of humanity, so that a serious attempt at colonisation by the few is a kick in the face to the majority. This isn't like the colonisation of America, because the old world was able to carry on anyway. Actually, even better than without colonisation, because of economic issues we were exporting unemployment. It was also known to be "doable".
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Rumraket » Dec 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Of relevance:

Basically the theory goes that the energy from the Chicxulub impact event was geometrically focused such that the shockwave generated from the impact traveled around the Earth and through the crust and mantle, being focused into a point on the opposite side of the globe, which 65 million years ago, happened to be where India was. So the Dinosaurs were wiped out, presumably according to this theory, through a combination of the K-T impact event and the subsequent extreme volcanism it produced in India.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#10  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Rumraket wrote:Of relevance:

Basically the theory goes that the energy from the Chicxulub impact event was geometrically focused such that the shockwave generated from the impact traveled around the Earth and through the crust and mantle, being focused into a point on the opposite side of the globe, which 65 million years ago, happened to be where India was. So the Dinosaurs were wiped out, presumably according to this theory, through a combination of the K-T impact event and the subsequent extreme volcanism it produced in India.

Yes, I am aware of that. However, it is claimed that the dinosaurs were already going extinct, before the Chicxulub event.

EDIT: Anyway, thanks for steering the thread away from the "let's leave the earth" crew.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby kennyc » Dec 13, 2014 5:05 pm

Yes, I've read (and written) about that shockwave theory, may be present in previous extinctions as well, but more difficult to find evidence...
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Dec 13, 2014 5:22 pm

It was Teh Flud, you atheist heretics.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby kennyc » Dec 13, 2014 5:33 pm

laklak wrote:It was Teh Flud, you atheist heretics.

Glug, glug, glug....

Where the hell did all that water come from!
:ill:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Dec 13, 2014 6:11 pm

God pissed.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby kennyc » Dec 13, 2014 6:20 pm

laklak wrote:God pissed.

Ahhhhh the water of life!

Is this incorporated into the comunion service?
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby susu.exp » Dec 13, 2014 9:13 pm

Except that the Deccan traps were active before the impact hit. There are intertrap sediments with the Iridium anomaly.
The extinction scenario driven by volcanism still seems unlikely, because flood basalts simply don't release massive amounts of CO2 (the total CO2 emissions from the deccan traps were lower than anthropogenic emmission were in 2013 and 2014 combined) and the total SO2 output of the traps is about the same as the human emissions per decade(see Self et al. 2006).
If volcanism played a causal role, it's not in the production of either CO2 or SO2.

DavidMcC wrote: However, it is claimed that the dinosaurs were already going extinct, before the Chicxulub event.

And the response to that always has to be: Can you show this? Do you have data that shows a decline that can be distinguished from backsmearing?
susu
susu.exp

Print view this post

#17  Postby orpheus » Dec 13, 2014 11:33 pm

laklak wrote:God pissed.

You forgot the "apostrophe 's'"
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 14, 2014 1:38 pm

susu.exp wrote:

Except that the Deccan traps were active before the impact hit. There are intertrap sediments with the Iridium anomaly.
The extinction scenario driven by volcanism still seems unlikely, because flood basalts simply don't release massive amounts of CO2 (the total CO2 emissions from the deccan traps were lower than anthropogenic emmission were in 2013 and 2014 combined) and the total SO2 output of the traps is about the same as the human emissions per decade(see Self et al. 2006).
If volcanism played a causal role, it's not in the production of either CO2 or SO2.

DavidMcC wrote: However, it is claimed that the dinosaurs were already going extinct, before the Chicxulub event.

And the response to that always has to be: Can you show this? Do you have data that shows a decline that can be distinguished from backsmearing?

I am relying on what I read in the scientific press, many years ago. I did not keep the reference, but I DO remember the claim. I think it was separate evidence, related to your own point about the flood basalt s starting before the Chicxulub impact. I thought that YOU would have the evidence!
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby susu.exp » Dec 14, 2014 2:58 pm

DavidMcC wrote:I am relying on what I read in the scientific press, many years ago. I did not keep the reference, but I DO remember the claim. I think it was separate evidence, related to your own point about the flood basalt s starting before the Chicxulub impact. I thought that YOU would have the evidence!

I don't doubt that the claim has appeared in the literature. But I has never really been substantiated. Backsmearing is an effect that arises from the temporal imprefection of the fossil record - you generally don't get the last member of a species as a fossil. You can do statistical tests for this, though and they are rarely done by dinosaur people. It has been done for various groups of mollusks, where you can not distinguish the appearent gradual decline from a geologically instantaneous event. It has been done for microfossils where the decline happens in a sedimentary range that's often only mms below the boundary, or even precisely on it. I've recently had that type of discussion with somebody working on pterosaurs and his view was that the record of pterosaurs was too incomplete to allow the use of statistics. He strongly favoured a model of decline prior to the KT boundary, based on the raw data. For some reason there are quite a few people who think that an insignificant result combined with a low sample size implies certainty...

Basically, the worse the temporal resolution of the fossil record gets for a group the more likely people working on that group have not considered that the pattern they observe might be an artifact of the low temporal resolution of the fossil record.
susu
susu.exp

Print view this post

#20  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 15, 2014 4:58 pm

susu.exp wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:I am relying on what I read in the scientific press, many years ago. I did not keep the reference, but I DO remember the claim. I think it was separate evidence, related to your own point about the flood basalt s starting before the Chicxulub impact. I thought that YOU would have the evidence!

I don't doubt that the claim has appeared in the literature. But I has never really been substantiated. Backsmearing is an effect that arises from the temporal imprefection of the fossil record - you generally don't get the last member of a species as a fossil. You can do statistical tests for this, though and they are rarely done by dinosaur people. It has been done for various groups of mollusks, where you can not distinguish the appearent gradual decline from a geologically instantaneous event. It has been done for microfossils where the decline happens in a sedimentary range that's often only mms below the boundary, or even precisely on it. I've recently had that type of discussion with somebody working on pterosaurs and his view was that the record of pterosaurs was too incomplete to allow the use of statistics. He strongly favoured a model of decline prior to the KT boundary, based on the raw data. For some reason there are quite a few people who think that an insignificant result combined with a low sample size implies certainty...

Basically, the worse the temporal resolution of the fossil record gets for a group the more likely people working on that group have not considered that the pattern they observe might be an artifact of the low temporal resolution of the fossil record.

Thanks for that, susu. :thumbup:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection