How did dolphins and sharks both evolve fins?

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How did dolphins and sharks both evolve fins?

#41  Postby laklak » Dec 16, 2020 7:37 pm

People get killed all the time in the Gulf of Mexico, despite it's reputation as a big salty lake. Biggest tourist killers are rip currents. People get swept out to sea and panic, not realizing they just need to swim parallel to the beach to escape. They tire themselves out swimming against the current, which they're not going to beat.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#42  Postby The_Piper » Dec 16, 2020 10:57 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I was laying on it in shallow water, and a wave caught the front of it just right, sending it nosediving into the sand and my rib absorbed the force of the fall, banging into the edge of the board. I had the wind knocked out of me, but luckily still had the presence of mind to not draw a breath until the wave crashed over me (I landed flat on my back underwater). I staggered along the shore looking for my friend, who laughed when he saw me. :lol:
It only bruised a rib or two but remained tender for a while.

That power of water - shit can get real unexpectedly fast. I had a friend who actually lost her eye a few days after she started surfing as she fell over the front of the board and it whacked her square in the socket.

My worst experience was in Sri Lanka where an otherwise quite gentle looking wave seemed to grab me by the scruff of the neck and bury my face in the sea floor for what felt like a minute. It was a very strange and cautionary experience - that's the last time I really relaxed while in anything other than a few inches of water.
That sounds scary. I won't swim in the ocean anymore, I'm getting to old to save myself!
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby The_Piper » Dec 16, 2020 10:59 pm

laklak wrote:People get killed all the time in the Gulf of Mexico, despite it's reputation as a big salty lake. Biggest tourist killers are rip currents. People get swept out to sea and panic, not realizing they just need to swim parallel to the beach to escape. They tire themselves out swimming against the current, which they're not going to beat.

I lost a cousin and his dad from an undertow, which I think is the same thing. The dad was teaching him how to swim when he got swept out. The dad went in after him and they both drowned. It was 20 or so years ago, but still hurts to think about.

When I was a kid my sister and I had inflatable rafts and were playing in the water down at Myrtle beach, enjoying ourselves all afternoon. When we went back to shore to find our party, we were way down shore from them. It seemed like we walked over a mile up the shore before finding them!
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby laklak » Dec 17, 2020 2:07 am

Damn that sucks, did you actually discover them lying on the beach? Jesus.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#45  Postby The_Piper » Dec 17, 2020 2:19 am

laklak wrote:Damn that sucks, did you actually discover them lying on the beach? Jesus.

No I wasn't there, we heard about it from relatives. It was on the news too, but they didn't name the victims.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection