Penguins lost ability to taste fish

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Penguins lost ability to taste fish

#1  Postby DougC » Feb 17, 2015 11:30 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31490623
B.B.C. Article
Penguins can taste only sour and salty food, scientists have discovered.
A genetic study suggests the flightless birds lost three of the five basic tastes long ago in evolution.
Taste is critical for survival in most animals, but may not matter in the penguin, which swallows fish whole, say researchers in China and the US.
Many other birds are unable to taste sweet things, but they do have receptors for detecting bitter and umami (or meaty) flavours.
The discovery was made when researchers decoding penguin genomes found some of the taste genes were missing.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Penguins lost ability to taste fish

#2  Postby Evolving » Feb 17, 2015 11:35 pm

Taste is critical for survival in most animals

Is that so? I understood that our particularly keen sense of taste was a legacy of the days when we, like gorillas today, passed from one glade to another and fed off the fruits that grew on the trees round about. And I understood that the big cats had a comparatively underdeveloped sense of taste and would basically eat anything as long as they were hungry.

So I wonder about the sensory peak from which penguins have apparently declined.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Sendraks » Feb 18, 2015 11:53 am

I'm likewise intrigued by this supposed "sensory peak" in other animals.

My dog's, for example, do prefer certain dog food's over others. They definitely prefer more expensive dog food to cheap stuff and they like variety in food. They prefer the texture of wet food over dry.

Despite this, we're also talking about dogs that once wolf downed left over chateaubriand in nano-seconds. So on what basis they were able to savour any taste at all is lost on me there.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Blackadder » Feb 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Sendraks wrote:I'm likewise intrigued by this supposed "sensory peak" in other animals.

My dog's, for example, do prefer certain dog food's over others. They definitely prefer more expensive dog food to cheap stuff and they like variety in food. They prefer the texture of wet food over dry.

Despite this, we're also talking about dogs that once wolf downed left over chateaubriand in nano-seconds. So on what basis they were able to savour any taste at all is lost on me there.

You think your dog is picky? Try having cats. You need to have a sous-chef on the premises to stop the buggers getting bored with the menu. These are the same animals that will drink water from a muddy puddle and will eat grass and spiders.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection