American Television

Snap-zooms and jazzy camera work

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

American Television

#1  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 22, 2012 11:57 am

I want to start by saying this isn't a attempt to state that British TV is always superior than American shows. I think the US tend makes the best dramas. Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad and many more are great examples of utterly brilliant show making. And although personally I think us Brits make slightly better comedies overall, some shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development and Modern Family are fucking hilarious.

What really pisses me off about American TV is the less cerebral stuff. In essence there is nothing wrong with light-entertainment shows. We have plenty of them on this side of the pond, actually plenty of them have been sold to America. But if you compared one of these American remade shows to the British originals you will understand my discontentment.

I'm trying to think of another example so I won't have to admit watching this show ( :oops: ) but a good example would be to compare Supernanny to Supernanny USA. Same show, same premise. But the American version has a voice over done by a narrator that sounds like he's taken fifteen ecstasy tablets, it's cameramen are jumping about, using snap-zooms and unnecessary angles and everything else seems to be sensationalised. This description can be given to almost any US light-entertainment show I've ever seen.

The same can be said about other genres of TV. The one that gets to me the most is sensationalism inside documentaries.

I don't think this is a commentary on the differences between the British public and the American as much as it's a commentary on the differences between American TV execs and their British counterparts. I think US television bosses assume their audiences are a lot dumber than they actually are and need these infantile and attention grabbing tactics to keep them interested.
Last edited by Nostalgia on Mar 22, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Re: American Television

#2  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Quote instead of edit.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3  Postby JoeB » Mar 22, 2012 2:10 pm

It's one of the reasons I hardly ever watch tv anymore. There's no rest or pauses to watch this or that any longer than 2 seconds max, very annoying.
Plus, almost every USA show seems to be about people arguing and fighting instead of what you'd expect from the title. There was this show about a pawnshop I saw the other day 'hardcore pawn' (indeed...) and it was more about some sort of family feud and bouncers kicking angry customers out of the store than it was about interesting goods.
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby trubble76 » Mar 22, 2012 2:22 pm

I mostly agree with the OP, but I'd also like to add my suggestions for the things the Americans do better than anyone. They kick ass at making war films and cowboy films. Films like Apocalype Now, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, and so on are simply excellent. They know how to blow shit up. :grin:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby FreshwaterSeaCowHero » Mar 22, 2012 2:22 pm

How can you talk about the downfall of American television without even mentioning Jersey Shore?
I'm getting my turtleneck. I'm not defusing a bomb in this! - Sterling Archer
FreshwaterSeaCowHero

Name: Cameron
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby mrjonno » Mar 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Most of the American TV I've seen seems to be subscription only in the US (as in premium). I think its because they basically don't allow adult TV on their basic tv packages (I don't consider any drama to be adult if there isnt swearing in it, nudity is optional but people in stressed situations swear and its just unwatchable at times when you have serious conflict and everyone is avoiding bad language)
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 22, 2012 5:14 pm

trubble76 wrote:I mostly agree with the OP, but I'd also like to add my suggestions for the things the Americans do better than anyone. They kick ass at making war films and cowboy films. Films like Apocalype Now, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, and so on are simply excellent. They know how to blow shit up. :grin:

I agree with you on war films, but Sergio Leone made the best westerns.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Varangian » Mar 22, 2012 6:04 pm

One annoying feature of US reality shows and especially shows like "America's Funniest Videos" is that everything is repeated 3-4 times. Either they need to pad out the show or they think that the audience is too stupid to get the joke the first time.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#9  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 22, 2012 6:14 pm

I once watched a Korean gameshow (a Wipeout style show) in which they would literally repeat everything in slow motion, before they'd actually shown the event itself happening. So someone was jumping across an obstacle and just as you were about to see if they made it, they'd cut to a replay, then another and another, and finally back to the original shot. Then the next obstacle and the same thing again. Presumably a cheap way of making 30 seconds of action last much longer.

On those American programmes (police chases, natural disasters, etc), I find that they're shown with far fewer adverts in the UK, so what is a useful summary after the ad break on American TV plays out like the narrator treating you like an idiot by repeating something they've literally just said.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Seabass » Mar 22, 2012 7:12 pm

MacIver wrote:I want to start by saying this isn't a attempt to state that British TV is always superior than American shows. I think the US tend makes the best dramas. Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad and many more are great examples of utterly brilliant show making.

Have you seen The Wire? It might be the best show of all.

I've never heard of "Supernanny" :lol: and I tend to avoid crappy TV, so I can't really comment on the rest of your post.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#11  Postby trubble76 » Mar 22, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
trubble76 wrote:I mostly agree with the OP, but I'd also like to add my suggestions for the things the Americans do better than anyone. They kick ass at making war films and cowboy films. Films like Apocalype Now, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, and so on are simply excellent. They know how to blow shit up. :grin:

I agree with you on war films, but Sergio Leone made the best westerns.

I suppose it all depends on how you define "best" but I think I can probably agree with you. :cheers:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby JoeB » Mar 22, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
On those American programmes (police chases, natural disasters, etc), I find that they're shown with far fewer adverts in the UK, so what is a useful summary after the ad break on American TV plays out like the narrator treating you like an idiot by repeating something they've literally just said.

See you after the break! - 1 frame - Welcome back!
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 22, 2012 8:53 pm

I can't believe you watch Supernanny. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(Just teasing) :grin:
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby DougC » Mar 23, 2012 3:07 am

B.B.C. America.

Bringing light to a dark and barren land.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Film & TV