Filthy Cities, 3 documentaries

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Filthy Cities, 3 documentaries

#1  Postby mattthomas » Jan 09, 2012 12:16 pm

I've just downloaded and watched these, absolutely fascinating.

Each is an hour long and deals with a particular city, I really hope they do more of these.

Part 1 is Medieval London, which covers the founding and growth of the city of london from around 1300 to 1700, discusses the problems the city faced with the muck and grime, how the businesses there grew to support westminster after it was founded, the laws passed to help tackle social problems. Just brilliant.

Part 2 is Revolutionary Paris, this is the one I learned the most from, it covers Paris is the 1800s as the foulest city in Europe how even the air and water killed people and caused illness, with rotting bodies and food everywhere walled in while Louis lived outside the city walls.

Part 3 is Industrial New York, From the 1800s in New York following mass immigration the problems the immigration caused, how the city struggled to keep up with the amount of people and how new technologies improved the lives of the citizens.

I highly recommend this series to one and all.
mattthomas

Print view this post

Re: Filthy Cities, 3 documentaries

#2  Postby lordshipmayhem » Jan 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Link?

Is this the Trashopolis series? It sounds like it. It's a Canadian production, also available on US and British cable TV.

They're into Season 2. In addition to the above three, cities covered include Montreal, Moscow, Los Angeles, Berlin, Tokyo, Cairo and Mexico City
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby mattthomas » Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm

No mate, it's a BBC2 thing in the UK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00z8r9l

I got them off a torrent
mattthomas

Print view this post

#4  Postby lordshipmayhem » Jan 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Definitely doesn't look like Trashopolis. Interesting that the first three cities are the same.
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Pulsar » Jan 09, 2012 4:29 pm

The three episodes are also on youtube, search "Filthy Cities". Well worth watching.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Return to Film & TV