Kim Novak has been raped

So she says...

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Kim Novak has been raped

#1  Postby aban57 » Jan 11, 2012 12:38 pm

I want to report a rape. I fell like my body - or at least my work - has been raped by the movie The Artist.

That's what she said (translated from the french website where I read this).

She complains about a piece of music from Psycho, used in The Artist.

Answer from the Artist's director, Michel Hazanavicius :

The Artist has been inspired by the work made by Hitchcock, Lang, Ford, Lubitsch, Murnau and Wilder. I like Bernard Herrmann and his music has been used in many movies, and I'm glad it is in mine. I repect a lot Kim Novak, and I'm really sorry to hear that she doesn't share my opinion

Who does she think she is ?
It's not HER movie, just a movie in which she played.
And a rape ?

:what:

Some actors really need to come back to the real world....
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Kim Novak has been raped

#2  Postby Animavore » Jan 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Who?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » Jan 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Animavore wrote:Who?

This is the scene in question, I believe, from Vertigo (not Psycho, as stated in the OP):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwD9twaZMZM[/youtube]

My all time favourite movie.

It took me a few moments to figure out why the music in The Artist sounded so familiar. I don't know if the rest of the soundtrack was also taken from other movies.

But, yeah, Novak needs to get a grip.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Jan 11, 2012 2:41 pm

I stayed up to watch Psycho once. It was remarkably unscary. I vowed never to watch another Hitcock.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Shrunk » Jan 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Animavore wrote:I stayed up to watch Psycho once. It was remarkably unscary. I vowed never to watch another Hitcock.

Bad decision.

I suggest you give Rear Window or North by Northwest a try. Or perhaps Shadow of a Doubt, Strangers on a Train, Rebecca, Notorious, Frenzy, Dial M for Murder, Rope, The 39 Steps... Don't expect "scary" as in "Boo! Ahh!", though. Just expect impeccable filmmaking and great entertainment.

Vertigo's my favourite, but lots of people find it too slow, so I don't suggest you start there.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Wuffy » Jan 12, 2012 7:16 am

aban57 wrote:
I want to report a rape. I fell like my body - or at least my work - has been raped by the movie The Artist.

That's what she said (translated from the french website where I read this).

She complains about a piece of music from Psycho, used in The Artist.

Answer from the Artist's director, Michel Hazanavicius :

The Artist has been inspired by the work made by Hitchcock, Lang, Ford, Lubitsch, Murnau and Wilder. I like Bernard Herrmann and his music has been used in many movies, and I'm glad it is in mine. I repect a lot Kim Novak, and I'm really sorry to hear that she doesn't share my opinion

Who does she think she is ?
It's not HER movie, just a movie in which she played.
And a rape ?

:what:

Some actors really need to come back to the real world....

I want some righteous womans group to call her on her use of the word rape.
As a male and a gamer, I have been exposed to the scorn of women groups who say the casual use of the word rape is dismissing how terrible the act is.

So yea, I'd like some outrage aimed at her right now.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7  Postby sennekuyl » Jan 12, 2012 7:29 am

Ugh
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8  Postby quisquose » Jan 12, 2012 8:51 am

Animavore wrote:I stayed up to watch Psycho once. It was remarkably unscary. I vowed never to watch another Hitcock.

I don't know why Psycho was ever promoted as a scary film. :scratch:

For me it was just another absorbing and interesting Hitchcock mystery. Just because it isn't scary (and it isn't) doesn't make it a bad film. It's far from one of his best though imho, and not one that I have re-watched in years.

Hitchcock remains my favourite director, and I have most of his films on DVD. North By Northwest is a film I can watch over and over.

It might sound like heresy to other Hitchcock fans, but I hate hate his other film that is promoted as scary (but isn't), and that's The Birds. If that was the first and only Hitchcock film that I had seen, then I might not have watched another one either.

So please break your vow.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Shrunk » Jan 12, 2012 11:18 am

quisquose wrote:It might sound like heresy to other Hitchcock fans, but I hate hate his other film that is promoted as scary (but isn't), and that's The Birds. If that was the first and only Hitchcock film that I had seen, then I might not have watched another one either.

You might have noticed that was conspicuously absent from my list above. It certainly has its moments, and its use of sound is noteworthy in itself. But the romantic subplot that actually takes up most of the screen time is a snooze, and even though acting is often a mere subsidiary aspect of Hitchcock, here the main performances are so wooden it's a serious distraction.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby lordshipmayhem » Jan 12, 2012 4:55 pm

And the OP reminded me of a little space incident. As relayed in this article:

Soyuz 5: The active spacecraft was equipped with a long docking probe, designated 'Shtir'. The target spacecraft was equipped with the 'Konus' receptacle. Volynov radioed that he 'was being raped' when the hard docking was accomplished.

As I heard it, he mock-screamed (in a falsetto voice): "Help! Help! I'm being raped!"

Yes, he got in a great deal of trouble for it when he returned to Earth. :naughty2:
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Shrunk » Jan 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Wuffy wrote: I want some righteous womans group to call her on her use of the word rape.
As a male and a gamer, I have been exposed to the scorn of women groups who say the casual use of the word rape is dismissing how terrible the act is.

So yea, I'd like some outrage aimed at her right now.

Seems you get your wish:

Rape crisis groups are angry over actress Kim Novak’s assertion that she has been "raped" by the makers of the Oscar contender “The Artist” because the film used a score from one of her old movies. But Novak’s camp isn’t offering up any apologies.

Novak’s long time manager Sue Cameron told Fox411: “There are all kinds of rape including the rape of one’s soul. All rapes are violent acts and all victims should be supported.”

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... z1jGVBkt1b

Well, that clears things up. So reusing the music from a film scene is a "violent act". :eh:
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Wuffy » Jan 13, 2012 2:43 am

Outrage for the sake of outrage. Honestly...
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Return to Film & TV