London - The Modern Babylon

You wanna see the best of British?

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: London - The Modern Babylon

#21  Postby Clive Durdle » Aug 23, 2012 8:39 am

Ironclad wrote:Does Ross-on-Wye still have the roughest nightclub in the world?

)

From someone who knows

yes its gnarly as hell
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Jumbo » Aug 23, 2012 9:05 am

Sorry London does not cut it. Culteral only if you have the money. Beautiful homes only if you have the money.

I'm not a huge fan of London but the same could be said of Paris though. In quite a few places thats a nightmare of traffic as well. Rome is far worse though but that is IMO a wonderful city in so many ways. There are swathes of each of the cities that are awful but then there are islands of beauty or areas which have appeal in many ways.

The flipside of the expense argument is that there are loads of galleries and museums in London that are completely free.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Aug 23, 2012 9:16 am

sennekuyl wrote:...Okay. Continue the in-house fights; London: the best summary of the UK.

:nono: London is a summary only of London. This idea of it being a summary of the UK is an invention of the mainstream media which is all based in, oh, guess where...
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 23, 2012 9:32 am

Horwood Beer-Master wrote:
sennekuyl wrote:...Okay. Continue the in-house fights; London: the best summary of the UK.

:nono: London is a summary only of London. This idea of it being a summary of the UK is an invention of the mainstream media which is all based in, oh, guess where...

I don't think that most of us who actually live in London would consider it the summary of the whole country. :nono:
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby trubble76 » Aug 23, 2012 9:36 am

My summary of London would be; cool place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

I don't recall the precise statistic but I believe it's one of the greenest capitals in the world, or perhaps the greenest even. As in most parkland, not most environmentally sustainable.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Fallible » Aug 23, 2012 9:42 am

I spent some time at uni in London, and I've lived in loads of different places in the UK, none of which I think you can compare to London. As for saying London doesn't cut it, that's the sort of thing a person would say when they see in only monochrome. For an individual it might not be a place they value, but it's very unlikely that somwehere that size and that diverse has no good qualities at all.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 23, 2012 9:52 am

trubble76 wrote:My summary of London would be; cool place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

I don't recall the precise statistic but I believe it's one of the greenest capitals in the world, or perhaps the greenest even. As in most parkland, not most environmentally sustainable.

I would concur with that. London's most beautiful season is spring, and by that I mean the trees start flowering in December and at their height London is awash with blossom.

Also, I hear more birds in the back garden than I gather you can hear in some places in the countryside, where hedgerows have been cut down.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Aug 23, 2012 10:16 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:

I don't think that most of us who actually live in London would consider it the summary of the whole country. :nono:

The media do. The politicians do. That's more than enough to be getting on with.

The problem in this country is that London-centricness is so casual and taken for granted that people don't even realise they are guilty of it.

Take the phrase "the home counties" for example - does that even have any sensible meaning unless you first assume a London centred viewpoint? Why should we accept such a designation?
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Clive Durdle » Aug 23, 2012 11:38 am

Well, does Ross have the worst nightclub on the planet?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 23, 2012 11:50 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:

The media do. The politicians do. That's more than enough to be getting on with.

The problem in this country is that London-centricness is so casual and taken for granted that people don't even realise they are guilty of it.

Take the phrase "the home counties" for example - does that even have any sensible meaning unless you first assume a London centred viewpoint? Why should we accept such a designation?

I admit that the many years I lived in Scotland it would piss me off as well.

However I don't read newspapers---haven't for years. Nor do I watch much topical tv. So I miss this aspect.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Do the English outside London think of Londoners as the rest of France thinks of Parisians?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Posse Comitatus » Aug 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Do the English outside London think of Londoners as the rest of France thinks of Parisians?

Not so much I think. In the North a little, but London is viewed more as part of 'The South', who are the real enemy.
Posse Comitatus

Name: Steven

Taiwan (tw)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 23, 2012 2:48 pm

Posse Comitatus wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Do the English outside London think of Londoners as the rest of France thinks of Parisians?

Not so much I think. In the North a little, but London is viewed more as part of 'The South', who are the real enemy.

Do many Londoners look down on the rest of the country?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Posse Comitatus wrote:

Can't generalise about anyone else---and Londoners are certainly not of one mind---but I certainly don't. Why should we?
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby trubble76 » Aug 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Posse Comitatus wrote:

Not really, there is a general assumption about a vague sense of superiority but I have never experienced it myself. From my experience (I've lived all over the place) it's more a chip on the shoulder of non-Londoners. I'm not saying that chip isn't there for good reasons, it's just that I've never witnessed any good reason for it.

In other words, it's the sort of thing that's referenced on telly and is muttered about in provincial pubs to wise nods but lacks much real world data.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 23, 2012 2:58 pm

trubble76 wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Posse Comitatus wrote:

Not really, there is a general assumption about a vague sense of superiority but I have never experienced it myself. From my experience (I've lived all over the place) it's more a chip on the shoulder of non-Londoners. I'm not saying that chip isn't there for good reasons, it's just that I've never witnessed any good reason for it.

In other words, it's the sort of thing that's referenced on telly and is muttered about in provincial pubs to wise nods but lacks much real world data.

Thanks. I grew up in Scotland. I was pestered to hell for being a "Londoner". I was officially not even born in London. I was born in Willesden which at the time was still outside London.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#37  Postby trubble76 » Aug 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
trubble76 wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Posse Comitatus wrote:

Thanks. I grew up in Scotland. I was pestered to hell for being a "Londoner". I was officially not even born in London. I was born in Willesden which at the time was still outside London.

When I lived in Newcastle, anything south of Gateshead was considered The South, mind you a lot of southerners think anything north of the Watford Gap is The North.
It's just a bit of petty localism and I would imagine you would find in every corner of the world in one form or another.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 23, 2012 3:06 pm

trubble76 wrote:When I lived in Newcastle, anything south of Gateshead was considered The South, mind you a lot of southerners think anything north of the Watford Gap is The North.
It's just a bit of petty localism and I would imagine you would find in every corner of the world in one form or another.

That is why I am curious. It does not happen here. Maybe be having a split capital may have something to do with it.

THe Brusselois really feel supurior to the rest of Belgium. Berliners to the rest of Germany.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#39  Postby trubble76 » Aug 23, 2012 3:11 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
trubble76 wrote:When I lived in Newcastle, anything south of Gateshead was considered The South, mind you a lot of southerners think anything north of the Watford Gap is The North.

That is why I am curious. It does not happen here. Maybe be having a split capital may have something to do with it.

THe Brusselois really feel supurior to the rest of Belgium. Berliners to the rest of Germany.

Isn't there a slight problem with not all Nederlanders being from Holland, or one of the Hollands or something? Don't Rotterdamers sneer at Amsterdamers? And so on.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 23, 2012 3:29 pm

trubble76 wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Isn't there a slight problem with not all Nederlanders being from Holland, or one of the Hollands or something? Don't Rotterdamers sneer at Amsterdamers? And so on.

I have heard more than one report that people from Friesland get looked down upon.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV