That happened.

My mind is blown.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: My wife isn't speaking to me

#2  Postby Sciwoman » Feb 04, 2012 5:58 am

That is quite odd. Not speaking to someone because of their opinion about a movie - I can hardly imagine it.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby quixotecoyote » Feb 04, 2012 6:05 am

Apparently, because she picked the movie, if I express strong dislike the movie it criticizes her taste in movies and suggests I didn't enjoy spending time with her.

In her defense she's not usually like that and I was not especially sensitive to her expression of that set of feelings.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Feb 04, 2012 6:14 am

I got kind of annoyed at transformers 3. How many times does someone almost die and then get saved at the final moment? It gets boring and predictable after 50 times, by the end I was hoping one of the good guys would die just to make the storyline somewhat meaningful.

There are some positives I guess... The surround sound is good, same with the soundtrack. And not to mention Sam's girlfriend in the movie...
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby quixotecoyote » Feb 04, 2012 6:17 am

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:I got kind of annoyed at transformers 3. How many times does someone almost die and then get saved at the final moment? It gets boring and predictable after 50 times, by the end I was hoping one of the good guys would die just to make the storyline somewhat meaningful.

Well plenty of good guys did bite it, but they put so little effort in getting us to care that there was no impact. The inventor autobot got shot execution style and Sentinel killed one to prove he was a bad guy, but I don't even remember the name.

For me, it was the opening 10-15 minutes of watching Shia act like an entitled douche, then horrible pacing issues. I thought they'd never get out of the damn skyscraper.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Sciwoman » Feb 04, 2012 6:21 am

quixotecoyote wrote:Apparently, because she picked the movie, if I express strong dislike the movie it criticizes her taste in movies and suggests I didn't enjoy spending time with her.

In her defense she's not usually like that and I was not especially sensitive to her expression of that set of feelings.

Why do so many woman do that? :doh: If my husband picked the movie and I didn't like it, I'd deal with it - and he'd do the same thing if I picked the movie. (Although despite seeing more movies together than I can count, our opinions are usually pretty similar about a given movie.)
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby babel » Feb 04, 2012 8:13 am

Your wife LIKED transformers 3?

I'd file a divorce.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Globe » Feb 04, 2012 8:18 am

quixotecoyote wrote:Apparently, because she picked the movie, if I express strong dislike the movie it criticizes her taste in movies and suggests I didn't enjoy spending time with her.

So.... you let her pick a movie, sit down for a nice evening together, after the movie you say something like:
Fuck what a piece of crap, what a waste of time.
And you expect her to be happy about it??

:scratch:
"Justice will be served!
As soon as I can find you a piece that hasn't gone rotten." - Globe

I don't accept sexism, no matter what gender is being targeted with an -ism.
Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#9  Postby quixotecoyote » Feb 04, 2012 8:31 am

Globe wrote:

So.... you let her pick a movie, sit down for a nice evening together, after the movie you say something like:

More like: "Not a fan of that. The pacing was slow in the second half and the lead was unlikable." And I expect to be able to voice my opinion without having it taken as a personal attack.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 04, 2012 9:07 am

What do you expect? You're here typing this instead of spending time with her, aren't you?

Let the wookie win.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby quixotecoyote » Feb 04, 2012 9:09 am

The_Metatron wrote:

What do you expect? You're here typing this instead of spending time with her, aren't you?

Let the wookie win.

:) By now we've made up and she's gone to bed.

It was just one of those weird moments that could only be shared anonymously.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Globe » Feb 04, 2012 9:12 am

quixotecoyote wrote:

More like: "Not a fan of that. The pacing was slow in the second half and the lead was unlikable." And I expect to be able to voice my opinion without having it taken as a personal attack.

Hint as to how women hear things like that....

Just as I wrote it. :)

Should/could have been phrased.
Nice movie. But didn't the action peak a little too early?
That way you'll start a conversation, not slam the door shut in her face about it. :dunno:
"Justice will be served!

Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Animavore » Feb 04, 2012 9:21 am

Globe wrote:

Oh look! A woman sticks up for another woman. Surprise. Surprise.

In fairness, though, you should've predicted it would be complete bollox and said, "I'm not watching that." I learned the hard way years ago never to watch a movie with a girl if I suspect I won't like it or hate it. This was after a girl asked me did I want to go to the cinema and we went to see The Blair Witch Project. I was sitting there thinking, this is shite. Yer woman kept acting scared an squeezing me which really grated on me. I felt like telling her to cop on. In the end I knew it wouldn't work. I thought if she likes that what other garbage will she have me watching?

Yer man above is right. File for a divorce.

:P
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Globe » Feb 04, 2012 10:25 am

Animavore wrote:

S'pose you had cooked for a girl you like, and her answer to the meal AFTER eating it was that it had been a waste of time dining with you and she should have gone for a burger.....

:smug:
"Justice will be served!

Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Varangian » Feb 04, 2012 10:25 am

Here' a tip if you want to spice up your sex life... ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU8ya6O-bsg[/youtube]

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Animavore » Feb 04, 2012 10:31 am

Globe wrote:
Animavore wrote:

S'pose you had cooked for a girl you like, and her answer to the meal AFTER eating it was that it had been a waste of time dining with you and she should have gone for a burger.....

There's a flaw in the analogy where the mentioned movies are concerned. A better one would be, "Suppose you took a dump on a dinner plate and then got all huffy when the girl points out, 'This is shit!"

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Wiðercora » Feb 04, 2012 10:39 am

quixotecoyote wrote:Seriously.

Right now.

That happened.

My mind is blown.

My girlfriend refused to talk to me once because I didn't like 500 Days of Summer.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby CookieJon » Feb 04, 2012 10:46 am

Right now.

That happened.

My mind is blown.

You were mistaken because it was all too much to take in at once.

On further reflection, you've realised it actually was a fun, action-packed movie with a bit more depth than most Hollywood child's-toy-to-motion-picture efforts, and with some genuinely funny moments.

You probably derided Shia LaBeouf initially out of jealousy because he really is a talented actor and good-looking to boot, but upon thinking about it you've have decided you'd actually do well stop being so childish, and try to be a bit more like Shia yourself and drop some of your worse habits like not liking really good movies.

Actually, you think you would probably really enjoy it more with a second viewing, especially if you've made your wife's favourite snacks to munch, and bought a bottle of her favourite wine to sip throughout.

That's what I'd do, anyway.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Animavore » Feb 04, 2012 10:51 am

Wiðercora wrote:

Right now.

That happened.

My mind is blown.

My girlfriend refused to talk to me once because I didn't like 500 Days of Summer.

See what I mean?!

If a girl asked me to watch that with her I would simply say, "No. Pick something else" prempting the barrage of scorn that would be unleashed when I tear into the film. I find it hard not to express my opinion on things like that and don't feel that I shouldn't for the sake of peace. Prevention is better than cure an' all that.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Globe » Feb 04, 2012 10:58 am

:roll:
It's not what you say, it's HOW you say it.

In more civilized circles that is called diplomacy, for the rest of us it's called "being polite". :)
"Justice will be served!

Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Film & TV