Stargate reboot in the make

Film trilogy by Emmerich

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Stargate reboot in the make

#1  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 18, 2016 11:29 am

http://variety.com/2016/film/spotlight/stargate-reboot-trilogy-roland-emmerich-dean-devlin-1201795494/

Dean Devlin on ‘Stargate’ Reboot: ‘It’s to Let Us Finish Telling Our Story’

The film went on to gross almost $200 million worldwide and spawned three live-action spinoff series, which ran for a cumulative 354 episodes.

“At the time that we made it, every single studio in Hollywood had told me that science fiction was dead,” Devlin recalls. “And Roland and I really love science fiction, so I think that’s partly why it worked and resonated. It wasn’t a cynical attempt to try and make something that was crowd-pleasing.”

Despite “Resurgence” being Emmerich’s first official sequel, “Stargate” was initially conceived as part of a trilogy, Devlin says, “and because of what happened with the rights and changes at the studio and all kinds of strange things, we never got to do parts two and three.”

“It’s not a story that can take place 20 years later. So the only way to really tell that trilogy is to go back from the beginning and start the story all over again,” Devlin says.

Following the original film, MGM retained the rights to the property, and the TV shows were produced without Emmerich and Devlin’s involvement. Now that the pair are back on board, the franchise will sidestep the continuity of the series, but not because of sour grapes, Devlin insists.

Not sure I'm looking forward to this.
Especially if it's going to end up like the Star Trek reboots.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Stargate reboot in the make

#2  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Jun 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Setting aside my intense loathing for every theory that's so inherently racist that it assumes everyone but white folk needed extraterrestrial help to stack rocks, the under-girding premise is pretty fun, and I will suspend judgement until I see the first of the reboot films.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 18, 2016 2:20 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:Setting aside my intense loathing for every theory that's so inherently racist that it assumes everyone but white folk needed extraterrestrial help to stack rocks, the under-girding premise is pretty fun, and I will suspend judgement until I see the first of the reboot films.

That's not really the case though, most of the civilisations they encountered in the show were also white and only had that level of civilisation because their 'gods' thaught them how to.
Heck, in the Stargate universe, mankind in general, white or 'brown', owes their civilisation to the Goauld.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Jun 18, 2016 2:28 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
That's not really the case though, most of the civilisations they encountered in the show were also white and only had that level of civilisation because their 'gods' thaught them how to.
Heck, in the Stargate universe, mankind in general, white or 'brown', owes their civilisation to the Goauld.

I am waiting to see what the Stargate universe has to say about this. It's a reboot, so the universe-building that's taken place since the original film doesn't necessarily count. It's probably safe to assume that a part of the Stargate universe still involves aliens designing pyramids for landing platforms.

I don't think it's NECESSARILY racist to say that aliens built the pyramids. I just think that most of the alien pyramid-building theories are unintentionally racist. The Egyptians may have been a very, very conservative culture, but they weren't stupid.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 18, 2016 2:33 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

I am waiting to see what the Stargate universe has to say about this. It's a reboot, so the universe-building that's taken place since the original film doesn't necessarily count. It's probably safe to assume that a part of the Stargate universe still involves aliens designing pyramids for landing platforms.

I don't think it's NECESSARILY racist to say that aliens built the pyramids. I just think that most of the alien pyramid-building theories are unintentionally racist. The Egyptians may have been a very, very conservative culture, but they weren't stupid.

:nod:
It's basically an aliens of the gap argument anyway.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jun 18, 2016 9:48 pm

oh bucking frilliant
run out if money to buy the rights to other good SF they have?
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:oh bucking frilliant
run out if money to buy the rights to other good SF they have?

:?
The original Stargate film was Emmerich's work.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jun 19, 2016 3:58 am

my point
instead of warming old stuff up, buy new rights and make new stuff
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 19, 2016 8:07 am

Agi Hammerthief wrote:my point

I see your op made it seem he was buying someone else's IP.
But Emmerich and co claim they always had a trilogy in mind and want to take this oppurtunity to finish what they started in the 90s.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jun 19, 2016 8:49 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

But Emmerich and co claim they always had a trilogy in mind and want to take this oppurtunity to finish what they started in the 90s.

That claim goes down better than "we had a look at our IP portfolio and thought we could still squeeze a few $$ out of this old thing.
I guess I'm a bit of a cynic.
Especially when I just noticed there will be another independence day movie this year. (when I wanted to check if ID4 or SG came out first)

Edit: spellink
Last edited by Agi Hammerthief on Jun 19, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 19, 2016 9:17 am

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

That claim goes down better than "we had a look at out IP portfolio and thought we could still squeeze a few $$ out of this old thing.
I guess I'm a bit of a cynic.
Especially when I just noticed there will be another independence day movie this year. (when I wanted to check if ID4 or SG came out first)

Oh, I'm quite cynical about this as well, especially since Emmerich has made his disdain for the TV series, known on several occasions.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Scar » Jun 19, 2016 9:41 am

I hope they can fit James spader in there somehow. Love him ever since Boston legal
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jun 19, 2016 10:23 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote: especially since Emmerich has made his disdain for the TV series, known on several occasions.

I'm with him on that.
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 19, 2016 10:50 am

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote: especially since Emmerich has made his disdain for the TV series, known on several occasions.

I'm with him on that.

:thumbdown:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Scar » Jun 19, 2016 12:45 pm

I enjoyed it at the beginning but the umpteenth new kind of aliens posing as gods got annoying.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jun 19, 2016 4:52 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:

I'm with him on that.

Richard Dean Anderson didn't help, he should have retired with MacGyver.
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:

I'm with him on that.

Richard Dean Anderson didn't help, he should have retired with MacGyver.

Was my least favorite actor as well.
But I really liked Michael Shanks and Amanda Tapping.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Film & TV