Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9121  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 02, 2017 1:33 am

Ohhh, my gays are gonna be pissed about this.

On another note, I finally caught the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale. It's....pretty awesome. Usually if something looks great in the trailer, it's pretty bad in full. This is better than the trailer. And I wasn't even a big fan of the book.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9122  Postby Mac_Guffin » Jun 02, 2017 1:44 am

I read that Sense8 costs a lot to make and Netflix is trying to cancel more shows. I forgot the reason.

I'm glad I haven't watched it. There are too many shows that I love that ended before their time, and only Twin Peaks came back.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9123  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 02, 2017 1:54 am

Wait, did anyone in Sense8 ever say anything about seeing the lead character again in 25 years or anything like that? Because this could be the same ploy.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9124  Postby willhud9 » Jun 02, 2017 3:58 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:Ohhh, my gays are gonna be pissed about this.

On another note, I finally caught the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale. It's....pretty awesome. Usually if something looks great in the trailer, it's pretty bad in full. This is better than the trailer. And I wasn't even a big fan of the book.

The book is one of my all time favourite books. The show is also really good.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9125  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 02, 2017 5:56 am

They've added volume to certain quieter aspects of the book, but not in an indelicate and heavyhanded way. And the sexism tropes are handled very well so far. Atwood has a small cameo in the pilot and it's both violent and playful; when Offred isn't joining in, thus risking her own safety, Atwood steps in behind and slaps her, as if to wake her up on the audience's behalf.

Also, Rory Gilmore's in there. :awesome:

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9126  Postby Mac_Guffin » Jun 02, 2017 6:10 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:Wait, did anyone in Sense8 ever say anything about seeing the lead character again in 25 years or anything like that? Because this could be the same ploy.

Speaking of that, I like how so much of the great shit on that show happened by accident. Bob as created because a crew guy got in a shot. Then he is seen in a reflection when he wasn't supposed to, but it worked out perfectly. Then in the finale, we hear that 25 years line. Lynch never planned to bring back the series, but here we are again, set 25 years after that episode.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9127  Postby Fallible » Jun 02, 2017 11:40 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:They've added volume to certain quieter aspects of the book, but not in an indelicate and heavyhanded way. And the sexism tropes are handled very well so far. Atwood has a small cameo in the pilot and it's both violent and playful; when Offred isn't joining in, thus risking her own safety, Atwood steps in behind and slaps her, as if to wake her up on the audience's behalf.

I'm scared to watch it in case it's bad.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9128  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Mac_Guffin wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:Wait, did anyone in Sense8 ever say anything about seeing the lead character again in 25 years or anything like that? Because this could be the same ploy.

Speaking of that, I like how so much of the great shit on that show happened by accident. Bob as created because a crew guy got in a shot. Then he is seen in a reflection when he wasn't supposed to, but it worked out perfectly. Then in the finale, we hear that 25 years line. Lynch never planned to bring back the series, but here we are again, set 25 years after that episode.

Same. From memory, Sheryl Lee was just a local actress who was supposed to play Laura's body, wasn't she? And then Lynch saw something and we got more and more of her until Maddy shows up and things get freaky.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9129  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Fallible wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:They've added volume to certain quieter aspects of the book, but not in an indelicate and heavyhanded way. And the sexism tropes are handled very well so far. Atwood has a small cameo in the pilot and it's both violent and playful; when Offred isn't joining in, thus risking her own safety, Atwood steps in behind and slaps her, as if to wake her up on the audience's behalf.

I'm scared to watch it in case it's bad.

I can only vouch for the first episode, but it's looking really good. I never quite got a clear picture of Offred from the book, but Moss plays her for a particular kind of empathy; you like her, but you like her as an individual and not an everywoman.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9130  Postby Mike_L » Jun 02, 2017 12:38 pm

The Handmaid's Tale

I remember seeing the 1990 movie in the year of its release. Starring Robert Duvall, Natasha Richardson, Faye Dunaway, Aidan Quinn and Victoria Tennant.

Chilling stuff...

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#9131  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:

Same. From memory, Sheryl Lee was just a local actress who was supposed to play Laura's body, wasn't she? And then Lynch saw something and we got more and more of her until Maddy shows up and things get freaky.

Maddy is so great :lol: There's twins in the soap opera everyone's watching too, right?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9132  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 02, 2017 12:52 pm

It's like Hitchcock's Vertigo. It's one of those weird and heavyhanded tropes, but it's exactly what would fit in a show that tries to jam the theoretical machinery. And then in the reveal episode in season 2 you've got the giant saying "It is happening again" and literally the same actress being murdered a second time. As if that episode needed any help getting freakier. :tongue:

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9133  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 02, 2017 1:05 pm

By episode five, the story of The Handmaid's Tale has been told and it goes off in a completely different direction with a different message. I lost interest and think it would have been better if they stuck to the story as told in the book and created a miniseries out of it. Other people will really like the new story.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9134  Postby MattHunX » Jun 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Started watching LEGION.

On episode 3. Bit weird.

I only ever saw the character in X-Men Evolution, where the writers had a bit of a different interpretation of his schizophrenia. He actually morphed into three different personalities. David Haller was the normal...state. Teenage. There was a little boy, Ian and his strongest personality (in terms of power, also) Lucas, a bit older. He could even knock Jean Grey out with a telekinetic blast, with ease. And could even trick Xavier. Seeing the boy-version of him, in this episode, reminded me of it.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#9135  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:By episode five, the story of The Handmaid's Tale has been told and it goes off in a completely different direction with a different message. I lost interest and think it would have been better if they stuck to the story as told in the book and created a miniseries out of it. Other people will really like the new story.

Ohh. I was hoping it stayed relatively close to the source, because they've done a stellar job of updating and remaining intimately close with the material. As I said, I wasn't a diehard fan of the book, but this seems to have all of the best parts of that with some real life breathed into it.

We'll see, I guess. Maybe my general ambivalence will help me on with the rest of it.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9136  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Yeah, I actually don't like Atwood's writing (not most of it, at least) though I think she's been pretty influential and that some of the content she's tackled has been important. Because I'm not a fan though I'm not devastated that the show ultimately didn't work for me.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9137  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Heh, as I was watching I kept thinking, "This. This is finally helping me to like Atwood's stuff." I might pick up the book again soon and see if my opinion's changed.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9138  Postby Macdoc » Jun 02, 2017 9:25 pm

yuck ...Atwood...narcissis...CanLit dole

•••

I didn't think Bloodline could get any darker .....Season 3 proved me wrong ...have to wait til after dark to watch the damn thing, :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9139  Postby mcgruff » Jun 02, 2017 11:30 pm

Pulsar wrote:Netflix cancels ‘Sense8’ after 2 seasons

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

FAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKK!

Just finished watching latest season and then this happens...

At times I feel the rather vague "us against The Man" story needs to be strengthened a bit but that could be easily fixed. The rest, at its best, is amazing. All the actors do such a great job of creating strong characters and the wonderful, inclusive sense of humanity in all its diversity which the show creates is inspiring. There's nothing else like it.

I'll steer clear of spoilers but there was a lovely scene near the end of season 2 between Nomi and Amanita which actually brought a tear to my eye.

If it's not viable for Netflix maybe someone could pick it up for a movie series?
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9140  Postby Pulsar » Jun 03, 2017 12:04 am

mcgruff wrote:If it's not viable for Netflix maybe someone could pick it up for a movie series?

The best thing you can do is make as much noise as possible.

Go to https://help.netflix.com/en/titlerequest and request Sense8 season 3
Sign the petition: https://www.change.org/p/netflixlat-netflix-sense8-sense-8-season-3-renewal
Go to the official Netflix Facebook profile and post a message
Contact Netflix customer support
Send a letter to Netflix Corporate Headquarters: 100 Winchester Circle Los Gatos, CA 95032.
Keep the #RenewSense8 and #sense8 hashtags on twitter alive.

I'm seeing reports that Netflix is paying attention. So maybe there's still a glimmer of hope...
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV