Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9401  Postby aban57 » Sep 26, 2017 2:40 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:It was bad enough that Big Bang Theory (which I saw someone on reddit accurately describe as 'nerd blackface') was so successful, now we've got Young Sheldon (kid nerd blackface). Includes laugh track! I'll never fail to be amazed at the stupid shit people will gladly watch.

I never liked tv shows with laugh tracks until I watched the IT Crowd and TBBT, which I both love. I'm much more cautious on Young Sheldon. Actors, including the kid, don't show the same potential for humor. Wait and see.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9402  Postby Animavore » Sep 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Young Sheldon doesn't have a laughing track.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9403  Postby aban57 » Sep 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Is a laughing track always recorded ? Because TBBT as a live audience.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9404  Postby Animavore » Sep 26, 2017 2:51 pm

I mean Young Sheldon doesn't have laughing at all. It's not done in front of an audience.

It tries be like The Wonder Years with older Sheldon narrating.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9405  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Animavore wrote:Young Sheldon doesn't have a laughing track.

Ah, so that costs extra. Well at least the bowtie is free.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9406  Postby aban57 » Sep 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Animavore wrote:I mean Young Sheldon doesn't have laughing at all. It's not done in front of an audience.

Yeah I got that :) I was just wondering about the meaning of the expression "laughing track", whether it included live audience or not.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9407  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 26, 2017 3:03 pm

aban57 wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:It was bad enough that Big Bang Theory (which I saw someone on reddit accurately describe as 'nerd blackface') was so successful, now we've got Young Sheldon (kid nerd blackface). Includes laugh track! I'll never fail to be amazed at the stupid shit people will gladly watch.

I never liked tv shows with laugh tracks until I watched the IT Crowd and TBBT, which I both love. I'm much more cautious on Young Sheldon. Actors, including the kid, don't show the same potential for humor. Wait and see.

I don't mind a laughing audience, particularly when they're obviously really into it, something like early Married With Children. It actually sounds like it was recorded on a set in front of people. TBBT laughing sounds like Full House to me, just kinda tepid and on call, like there's a big flashing sign telling them when to laugh. I actually really like the canned laughing in Monty Python, sorta adds to the absurdity.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9408  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 26, 2017 3:05 pm

aban57 wrote:
Animavore wrote:I mean Young Sheldon doesn't have laughing at all. It's not done in front of an audience.

Yeah I got that :) I was just wondering about the meaning of the expression "laughing track", whether it included live audience or not.

I find it typically refers to pre-recorded / enhanced (where you add more laughs than were actually there) audience laughter, though since a live show would be recorded with separate mics for the performers and the audience you could remove the laugh track, so to speak.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9409  Postby aban57 » Sep 26, 2017 3:11 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
aban57 wrote:

I find it typically refers to pre-recorded / enhanced (where you add more laughs than were actually there) audience laughter, though since a live show would be recorded with separate mics for the performers and the audience you could remove the laugh track, so to speak.

Ok thanks.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9410  Postby Thommo » Sep 26, 2017 5:09 pm

I quite like some stupid shit. I quite like TBBT actually.

I won't pretend that the stupid shit I like is amazing culture or works of high literature, but it entertains me.
Thommo

Print view this post

#9411  Postby Animavore » Sep 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Like earlier TBBT, but like all sitcoms that go on way too long, everyone starts growing up and getting married and settling down, and I just want to shoot myself, remembering just in time that I can simply just stop watching.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9412  Postby Thommo » Sep 26, 2017 5:21 pm

You're right, everything gets stale after a while.
Thommo

Print view this post

#9413  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Thommo wrote:

I quite like some stupid shit. I quite like TBBT actually.

I won't pretend that the stupid shit I like is amazing culture or works of high literature, but it entertains me.

Alright I'll climb down off my high horse, I like quite a bit of stupid shit too. Something about TBBT that really rubs me the wrong way, though.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9414  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 26, 2017 7:10 pm

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9415  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 26, 2017 7:12 pm

The most British Frenchman indeed.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9416  Postby Animavore » Sep 27, 2017 5:18 pm

Isn't Fly just, like, one of the best episodes of Breaking Bad? Surprised to find out it went down badly with audiences.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9417  Postby proudfootz » Sep 27, 2017 8:43 pm

Different strokes.

I think some folks were tuning in for all the machismo.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9418  Postby Thommo » Sep 28, 2017 12:03 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Alright I'll climb down off my high horse, I like quite a bit of stupid shit too. Something about TBBT that really rubs me the wrong way, though.

I've heard it's quite common. I think sitcoms are a bit like that in general. There are plenty that I just can't stand, both British and American. For example King of Queens or Peep Show.

Or like 99% of all Japanese TV I've ever seen.
Thommo

Print view this post

#9419  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 28, 2017 12:43 am

Thommo wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Alright I'll climb down off my high horse, I like quite a bit of stupid shit too. Something about TBBT that really rubs me the wrong way, though.

I've heard it's quite common. I think sitcoms are a bit like that in general. There are plenty that I just can't stand, both British and American. For example King of Queens or Peep Show.

Or like 99% of all Japanese TV I've ever seen.

Sure, King Of Queens is the very poster child for unbearable American sitcoms. Like Friends or Two And A Half Men, it's bland, inoffensive, and relies entirely on cartoonish and hackneyed tropes. I honestly don't see the difference between those and TBBT :dunno:

Peep Show I've seen a LOT of skits that fall flat on their face, but I've found some skits that are pretty damn funny:

I love Mitchell though, I think he's best on quiz shows :lol:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9420  Postby Thommo » Sep 28, 2017 1:04 am

That's from Mitchell and Webb, rather than peep show, which is an actual sitcom.

It's been quite successful, so I guess lots of people like it.

The only difference I can really put my finger on though, is that I like some things and not others! That's what I mean about liking some stupid shit. It's not necessarily better, but I enjoy it.
Thommo

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV