What did you think of Gravity?

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What did you think of Gravity?

#61  Postby Teague » Apr 28, 2016 1:41 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Lots of pretty graphics, but the story line, plot and details pissed me off.

1: The guy pushing off the shuttle and using his tether like a bungee would have caused at least 3 heart attacks in mission control and ended his career.

2: The Clooney character zipping around the shuttle would have caused several nervous breakdowns in mission control and ended his career.

3: You have one rookie doing all the hard work while everyone else fucked off and farted around.

This!

Didn't Bullock only have 6 months training too? That's bullocks as well, isn't it?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Teague » Apr 28, 2016 1:47 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:I haven't seen The Martian, but it's crap and Gravity is better.

Yeah, but they're both rubbish compared to Apollo 13. Let's face it, that tops either film in improbable dramatic coincidences, and they actually happened.

Overall, I'd say that Gravity suffered an early booster failure while The Martian cut out in the final stage. Interstellar, on the other hand, blew up on the launch pad. ;)

Apollo 13 is up there with the best films ever made and only a little off reality too.

http://www.universetoday.com/101531/ken-mattingly-explains-how-the-apollo-13-movie-differed-from-real-life/

Apollo 13 is one of those films I watch once a year.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Teague » Apr 28, 2016 1:52 pm

tuco wrote:Oh and I was hoping to duct tape his hairy ass.

How about Gattaca? Its about going to space but ..

That's a really good film too, definitely worth a watch. I loved Mission to Mars too though probably not a lot of people did.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Weaver » Apr 28, 2016 3:36 pm

I think you may be confusing relative motion with absolute motion - if the camera was positioned to track her body, you wouldn't notice her absolute motion after letting go of the wreckage - she'd be moving linearly on a tangent to her rotational path when she let go, but no longer rotating.

As to waiting for the airlock - if it were full of air (standard safety practice on an occupied station) it would take a while to drain the air before she could enter. Not hours, but many minutes.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby ED209 » May 02, 2016 10:17 pm

Teague wrote:
tuco wrote:Oh and I was hoping to duct tape his hairy ass.

How about Gattaca? Its about going to space but ..

That's a really good film too, definitely worth a watch. I loved Mission to Mars too though probably not a lot of people did.

Gattaca is a good movie, I keep meaning to re-watch it.

Gravity and especially interstellar were shite. The martian; I only watched half, it was probably OK but I'd read the book so no tension or mystery for me.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Film & TV