Fuck 2016

Really, 2016 go fuck yourself

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Fuck 2016

#41  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 18, 2016 11:32 am

Sendraks wrote:
jamest wrote:What happened in the 80s? Thatcher?

One thing that keeps springing to mind is that there was a fucking huge movement in the western world (Live Aid and Band Aid) to raise funds for the famine in Ethiopia that was killing hundreds of thousands of people. Ongoing atrocities in Afghanistan by the USSR. Humanitarian crisis in China. Various local conflicts and atrocities around the world. The Aids crisis. And so on and so forth.

Also the economic side. Inflation hitting 12-13% and unemployment was almost 25% here and I was one of them for 4 long years. :(
Also the Troubles were still continuing along with Thatcher's push against the Unions. EU had not been yet formed and Thatcher was trying to throw her weight around Brussels. The whole decade was for me personally a mess. Divorce and unemployment were major problems. I was glad to see the nineties as I had a job and a girlfriend and the Berlin wall had fallen.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#42  Postby crank » Nov 18, 2016 12:17 pm

2016 hasn't been too bad personally for me, 2013 was a very bad year, first my mom had two independent but close in time bad medical crap going on, then I totaled my truck, then burned my house down and had to move. Somewhere in there my back nearly invalided me. I would selfishly trade my bad back for a Trump presidency, unfortunately, he won and I still have my f'ed up back. That's how far you'll go for a back that isn't trying to kill you every day. I did lose two cats in the last couple of months, that hurts, probably the worst of this year for me.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#43  Postby tuco » Nov 18, 2016 4:21 pm

What I find quite amusing, tho I am sure its only because I do not understand and/or dunno something, is how some of those who seem to be very interested in excesses of Trump-likes are vocal against his presidency. I mean, if someone very cool, very calm, very smart, very just and all was elected .. what would they do? Because I do not see them engaging in topics with previous characteristics.
tuco

Print view this post

#44  Postby laklak » Nov 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Meh, the Beginning of the End has been coming since the End of the Beginning. Obama was the Anti-Christ and would usher in FEMA camps and mandatory reeducation for all CIS white males. Bush was the reincarnation of Hitler until he re-reincarnated as Donald Trump. Slick Willy was going to end The Greatest Country On Earth in a shower of semen and local-yokel hucksterism. Reagan was going to open Soylent plants. Carter was going to give the country to the Iranians. Nixon was going to push the Big Red Button rather than resign.

I'm struggling to see what differences, if any, that a previous President's national policies had on my personal life other than the obvious tax rates, and even those differences were minimal. Under one guy I paid a grand or so more than under some other guy. I still bought and sold homes, cars, boats, etc, got married, got divorced, had kids. I never ended up in a bunker waiting for the radiation levels to fall. Never saw any Fascists or Communists, not even under the bed.

Actually, looking back, the only national policy that really affected me on a daily basis was Obamacare. My premiums went through the roof until I managed to get a subsidized policy, then they dropped through the floor. Oh yeah, there was the Vietnam War thingy back in the day, another Democratic Party fuck up.

Your mileage may vary, but Meh Again.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#45  Postby tuco » Nov 18, 2016 6:33 pm

That is perhaps the difference. In today's age heavily influenced by information technologies many, think or declare to, see and care, for various reasons with various motivations, beyond their personal life and can share this with others over the so-called new, social, media. Hence the mass hysteria and strong emotions, which ironically contribute, and gave birth, to the post-truth world.

We do not have to go even that far back. If Mr Tump can do worse than Mr Bush with Iraq, than my personal life will not be immediately affected but another wave of migrants could come knocking at my door in few years, causing another hysteria and another wave of emotions.

Mileage always vary, however, most deviate from mile only so much and even those deviating a lot do not cross a thousand miles mark. What does it mean? Does moral landscape exist? It does not, but consensus does. Consensus can be reached on what problems are to be solved and then they can be solved. We can, try to, do it just as we landed on the Moon. Else we can talk forever about varying mileages without actually doing anything about the problems we talk about.
tuco

Print view this post

#46  Postby crank » Nov 20, 2016 1:09 pm

laklak wrote:Meh, the Beginning of the End has been coming since the End of the Beginning. Obama was the Anti-Christ and would usher in FEMA camps and mandatory reeducation for all CIS white males. Bush was the reincarnation of Hitler until he re-reincarnated as Donald Trump. Slick Willy was going to end The Greatest Country On Earth in a shower of semen and local-yokel hucksterism. Reagan was going to open Soylent plants. Carter was going to give the country to the Iranians. Nixon was going to push the Big Red Button rather than resign.

I'm struggling to see what differences, if any, that a previous President's national policies had on my personal life other than the obvious tax rates, and even those differences were minimal. Under one guy I paid a grand or so more than under some other guy. I still bought and sold homes, cars, boats, etc, got married, got divorced, had kids. I never ended up in a bunker waiting for the radiation levels to fall. Never saw any Fascists or Communists, not even under the bed.

Actually, looking back, the only national policy that really affected me on a daily basis was Obamacare. My premiums went through the roof until I managed to get a subsidized policy, then they dropped through the floor. Oh yeah, there was the Vietnam War thingy back in the day, another Democratic Party fuck up.

Your mileage may vary, but Meh Again.

The mileage for many will vary a lot!. And to tell the truth, I think you're missing a huge factor, you can't know what things would be like if we'd had a different string of guys in office. How many get zero mileage because they're dead? In wars, because of poverty, health care, all kinds of things really, that would be very different with a different lot of leaders?

About your health care subsidy, is that the tax credit from Obama care? I am just about done with my 2nd year on that, and it disgusts me in numerous ways. First off is the insane, overly complicated way it's dealt with come tax day. You first have to estimate what you will make in the coming year, they base the monthly contribution to your insurance on that. In 2015, I made considerably less than my estimate, and I got a number of messages from some part of the bureaucracy telling me I was going to be penalized for the mis-estimate. It didn't matter to this person that I underestimated, meaning I got less a tax credit than I should have, or that I can't estimate what my earnings will be because most of it is from farming, which ain't even close to a steady income. I kept repeating how insane it was what they were trying to do, and after a couple of weeks, some rational higher-up must have reviewed the case and they rescinded any threats of penalties etc.

And over the last 4 or so months, the IRS is trying to extort money from me. I get this letter from them saying I underpaid my taxes and owed them over $1200. The only info I got to try to defend myself was that their estimate of my income was double my figure, and that somehow it was due to how I handled the Obamacare tax credit. I say BS, show me where I made such a huge error, and they sent me the details. Turns out, on Form 8962, I accidently copied my AGI into both the box for me and the box on the same line that was for my dependents AGI. Now, I have had to fill out full 1040s since about 1970, I have never had dependents, they won't let me claim the cats, the bastards [that's for both the cats and the IRS], there wasn't a single mention of dependents anywhere but this one line on this one obscure form, they couldn't see this after multiple reviews of my return? I immediately sent them a letter explaining this and detailing the problem and a revised Form 8962, sent it certified. A month later, I get another letter and they're claiming I still owe and they're going to go after my state income tax refunds if I had one, I don't even have state taxes, and then my property, garnish wages, etc. I sent another letter saying that's all nonsense blah blah blah, and my attorneys frown on harassment and they're good frowners. A week or two later I get a letter saying they got the now over month old first of my explanations of the error, and that they need 45 days to respond.

Way TLDR, but that's as concise as I can make this deplorable hilarious situation. Except, on the actual medical end of things, I picked a certain policy/plan/company because this doctor was 'in network' and I wanted him to do my knee replacement. He's my mother's doctor/surgeon, and is one of the 'Spurs' doctors, the San Antonio basketball teams doctors. The whole clinic this is their big spiel, 'doctors to the Spurs'. When I finally went to start the process of getting a new knee, they take one look at my insurance card and see I'm in a subsidized plan and say we don't take your insurance! I go and recheck on the web, they are 'in network, I call Aetna, they say the list is up to date but maybe they just dropped out, they'll look into it and make sure they are taken off the list. They are never taken off the list, discussions with Aetna made it clear there is something fishy going on there, I can't figure out quite what. I suspect the clinic gets money for being in that network, even though they won't actually take any patients with that coverage, and Aetna is in on it too as they take a big cut. I didn't get anywhere talking to the people at healthcare.gov. All in all, Obamacare helps a lot of folk, but it's still a big payout to the insurance companies and doctors with little in the way of a real attempt to help the citizenry.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2016 4:09 pm

(not fake)

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Fallible » Dec 13, 2016 4:48 pm

I can't stand the bloke's music, but I've come to realise that underneath the self-important lack of self-awareness that sometimes comes across, he's really pretty intelligent and not at all averse to taking the piss out of himself. Dunno if you've seen his Lotto advert.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#49  Postby surreptitious57 » Dec 13, 2016 5:14 pm

Also not a fan of his music but his self deprecation is very becoming and
so that is why I like him. The Lotto ad is excellent as indeed they all are
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#50  Postby Sendraks » Dec 13, 2016 6:26 pm

The Lotto ads are fucking awful and designed by people with a sub-moronic understanding of how the lottery works.

James Blunt does come across as a highly entertaining chap on twitter though.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#51  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 13, 2016 6:33 pm

Seem to be the same round the world.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#52  Postby felltoearth » Dec 14, 2016 3:20 am

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Corneel » Dec 14, 2016 8:29 pm

The Word of the Year for 2016 Isn’t a Word. It’s a Number.

Oxford Dictionaries chose post-truth. Dictionary.com selected xenophobia. The Cambridge Dictionary picked paranoid, and the Collins Dictionary Brexit. Merriam-Webster is coming later this week, but fascism is leading its pack. It’s “Word of the Year” season, when lexicographers and linguists name one word that best sums up the top cultural themes, online look-ups, or language patterns and innovations in the past 365 days. So far, the winning words, capturing the ascendant bigotry and factual relativism that marked so much of the year, aren’t trying to hide that 2016 was pretty bleak—which is why the 2016 word of the year shouldn’t be a word at all. It should be a number: 2016.

(continued)
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Animavore » Dec 14, 2016 9:29 pm

It's four words. :coffee:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Corneel » Dec 14, 2016 9:35 pm

Animavore wrote:It's four words. :coffee:

What is four words? Two thousand sixteen?
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#56  Postby dochmbi » Dec 15, 2016 1:35 am

Brexit, Donald Trump, separated from gf, dad died. Great year!

Then again, I also gained 5kg of muscle mass, joined a band and a choir and a political party, learned how to play guitar and met many girls on tinder, so not all bad.
dochmbi

Name: Max

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Mazille » Dec 15, 2016 1:44 am

Yup. Personally, 2015 has to answer for a lot more and can get eternally fucked with Cali's patented razor-wire dildo. Globally 2015 didn't stand out that much, but was better than 2016.

Unless you happen to live in one of the perpetually shit places of the last centuries you still can't honestly complain, though. Big picture, I mean.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Animavore » Dec 15, 2016 9:24 am

Corneel wrote:
Animavore wrote:It's four words. :coffee:

What is four words? Two thousand sixteen?

Two thousand and sixteen.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#59  Postby chango369 » Dec 28, 2016 11:02 pm

I find myself paradoxically wanting 2016 to end ASAP, but do NOT want 2017 to begin either.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Dec 28, 2016 11:11 pm

You could kill yourself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(That's a joke. See, I don't actually think you should kill yourself and hope you wouldn't take such advice from me seriously. It is a solution to your desire not to see 2017 though.)
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion