How are humans going to become extinct?

asks the Oxford University's Future of Humanity Institute

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How are humans going to become extinct?

#101  Postby epete » May 15, 2013 10:24 am

hackenslash wrote:
epete wrote:I'd say he's qualified and supported his position sufficiently to speculate.

Well, opinions and arseholes and all that...

Indeed. :coffee:
High rise living is for communists and termites. - laklak
epete
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#102  Postby naffat » May 15, 2013 10:28 am

hackenslash wrote:No it isn't, or you'd have managed to do so by now.

How about "potentially supportable"?

hackenslash wrote:Ah, one of those truisms that turns out to be bollocks.

Because?

hackenslash wrote:And this is interesting to me because..? Again, tell somebody for whom your opinion is worth two shits.

Well, you seem to give enough of a shit to keep replying and offering your (mostly pitifully under-informed) opinions.
naffat

United States (us)
Print view this post

#103  Postby hackenslash » May 15, 2013 10:32 am

naffat wrote:How about "potentially supportable"?

Good enough.

Because?

I already answered that. Go and speak to Michelson and Morley.

Well, you seem to give enough of a shit to keep replying and offering your (mostly pitifully under-informed) opinions.

I don't give a shit about your opinion, but I do give a shit about ensuring that bollocks doesn't go unchallenged. As for my being under-informed, do keep erecting that trope despite mky having dealt with the fact that what I know or not about cognitive science is utterly fucking irrelevant to the topic at hand. I don't need to know anything about cog-sci to know that you're talking through your arse when you make categorical assertions that aren't supportable with anything resembling robust evidence.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#104  Postby natselrox » May 15, 2013 10:50 am

naffat wrote:My central claim is that postbiological civilization has the opportunity to become greater than what will have preceded it on this planet, esp. given that ecological destruction appears to be in human nature somehow.

A few points:

1. I don't see how you define 'post-biological', given that all of life is but natural selection applied to a pool of replicating entities that mutate occasionally. I don't see how that is abruptly going to stop at some point. If you mean that as an end to carbon-based life forms, I don't think whatever comes to replace it will be above these simple constraints.

2. Defined that way, as in an in-silico version of the biological world, I don't see how consciousness is in any way relevant to its existence.

3. 'Greater' is probably an unqualified word. Depends on what you mean by it...

4. Ecological destruction is not in human nature. Maximizing the potential to replicate is what's in human nature.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#105  Postby epete » May 15, 2013 11:15 am

Ecological exploitation and modification is in ALL organisms "nature".

Regarding the post-biological stuff, I think he's talking about AI/robots.
epete
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#106  Postby The_Metatron » May 15, 2013 6:02 pm

!
MODNOTE
Hackenslash, this post that you made contains a personal attack/insult:

[Reveal] Spoiler: your reported post, relevant text in bold red font
hackenslash wrote:
naffat wrote:Claiming first that I just made shit up. Then backing away from that when I said I had an entire book making that case and demanding "primary literature", which I can also provide, since there are hundreds of references in that title.

Ah, I see, so it's reading comprehension you have trouble with, is it? I made no such claim, or perhaps your language education didn't extend to the recognition of an interrogative.

As for the book, I'm far less interested in that (although I do intend to read it, as it looks interesting) than I am in the primary literature. See, anybody can write a book. Sustaining claims is more strenuous.

I'll look at the rest when I have little more time. I have pressing matters to deal with elsewhere.

Making personal attacks against other forum members is not allowed, as is spelled out in our Forum User's Agreement, paragraph 1.2.c, to which you agreed when you joined our forum.

[Reveal] Spoiler: relevant section of the Forum User's Agreement
Members of rationalskepticism.org agree to:

1.2. not post or transmit defamatory, abusive, threatening or illegal material, or any other material with the intent to purposely mislead or harm others or infringe on the ability of others to enjoy rationalskepticism.org. This includes but is not limited to:

c. post personal attacks or insults towards other members

After lengthy discussion among the staff, we concluded that there is a distinction between observing that something has not been comprehended and saying that someone has a comprehension deficit - an assumption about a personal attribute; or intellectual ability. We consider the latter, as is demonstrated in your post, to constitute a personal attack.

Accordingly, I am awarding you a warning for personal attack/insult. This is your third active warning, and is accompanied with a week suspension from the forum.

The_Metatron

Please do not discuss this modnote or moderation in this thread as it is off-topic. If you need clarification or want to appeal this decision, please PM me or a senior moderator.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#107  Postby natselrox » May 15, 2013 8:08 pm

epete wrote:Ecological exploitation and modification is in ALL organisms "nature".

Naffat used the word 'destruction', I don't think that is part of any organism's nature. Sometimes, some behaviours or certain organisms coincide with our notions of ecological destruction. Not always. Exploitation and modification, as you say, are, by definition, defining features of any entity interacting with an 'environment'/'ecological niche'.

I got that. I just don't see how that (if they ever come to replace life as we know it) will be any different from what we see now.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#108  Postby THWOTH » May 15, 2013 11:26 pm

natselrox wrote:
naffat wrote:My central claim is that postbiological civilization has the opportunity to become greater than what will have preceded it on this planet, esp. given that ecological destruction appears to be in human nature somehow.

A few points:

1. I don't see how you define 'post-biological', given that all of life is but natural selection applied to a pool of replicating entities that mutate occasionally. I don't see how that is abruptly going to stop at some point. If you mean that as an end to carbon-based life forms, I don't think whatever comes to replace it will be above these simple constraints.

I think what is being referred to here are ideas under the label of transhumanism...

Wikipedia wrote:Transhumanism (abbreviated as H+ or h+) is an international intellectual and cultural movement that affirms the possibility and desirability of fundamentally transforming the human condition by developing and making widely available technologies to greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

... which some might say is a brand of techno-fetishism.

natselrox wrote:2. Defined that way, as in an in-silico version of the biological world, I don't see how consciousness is in any way relevant to its existence.

3. 'Greater' is probably an unqualified word. Depends on what you mean by it...

4. Ecological destruction is not in human nature. Maximizing the potential to replicate is what's in human nature.

Transhumanism is essentially an appeal to an ideal. Transhumanist would probably say that Transhumanism is a natural ends by which fiddling things like poverty, injustice, suffering, and death can be transcended and a greater, more epic purpose for our species than simply surviving can be actualised - this is not only what our species should become, but what it will become and, therefore, your resistance is futile.

;)
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#109  Postby epete » May 16, 2013 12:46 am

natselrox wrote:
epete wrote:Ecological exploitation and modification is in ALL organisms "nature".

Naffat used the word 'destruction', I don't think that is part of any organism's nature. Sometimes, some behaviours or certain organisms coincide with our notions of ecological destruction. Not always. Exploitation and modification, as you say, are, by definition, defining features of any entity interacting with an 'environment'/'ecological niche'.

I think it's just a function of scale and magnitude. We are doing exactly the same thing all organisms do, it's just that there are shear numbers of us and we have technology to vastly speed up the process (and the level of modification). In the end, unless we change our ways, it's highly likely our ecosystem will self correct, either with a terrible famine or a global pandemic, or perhaps both at the same time. The same process happens on a smaller scale in all ecosystems on the planet.

I got that. I just don't see how that (if they ever come to replace life as we know it) will be any different from what we see now.

I guess they'll be more intelligent, faster, stronger and more resilient.
epete
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#110  Postby Blip » May 16, 2013 3:32 pm

!
MODNOTE
naffat, this is a warning that your post here, in which you imply that another member has ‘autistic whims’, contravenes the Forum Users’ Agreement, specifically section 1.2e, which prohibits inflammatory posting.

Please do not continue to post in this manner or you may face further sanctions, which include suspension from this forum.

Any comments on this modnote or moderation should not be made in the thread as they will be considered off topic.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Nostalgia » May 16, 2013 3:55 pm

epete wrote:
natselrox wrote:

I think it's just a function of scale and magnitude. We are doing exactly the same thing all organisms do, it's just that there are shear numbers of us and we have technology to vastly speed up the process (and the level of modification). In the end, unless we change our ways, it's highly likely our ecosystem will self correct, either with a terrible famine or a global pandemic, or perhaps both at the same time. The same process happens on a smaller scale in all ecosystems on the planet.

Oh, I think that's an inevitability. But I'd be surprised if it killed off all humans (I realise you didn't say it would, I'm just running with this idea). We're exceptionally resilient and adaptable. The only lifeform I can think of that is more so would be bacteria. Even the utter destruction of Earth wouldn't result in our extinction if it didn't happen for a couple of centuries. By then we'll have permanent footholds on other astronomical bodies... probably.

I guess they'll be more intelligent, faster, stronger and more resilient.

They'll likely be all of those things and more. In the second to last Alistair Reynolds novel I read (and I'm sure people are rolling their eyes here but I stand by my belief that science fiction is often a good predictor of the future) one if the minor characters who was the CEO of a large multinational had an "empathy shunt" installed. This allowed him to voluntarily shut down his ability to experience that emotion and thus be a more ruthless businessman. They say that psychopaths do well in big business for that exact reason. So doesn't it make sense that people who are "handicapped" by pesky human feelings may want to get rid of them if they can?
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Mayak » May 17, 2013 6:56 pm

Probably from an A.I., it will make a rational calculation about earth's resources divided by humanities abilities, and come to the conclusion that its own survival depends on killing all of us.
Mayak

Print view this post

#113  Postby THWOTH » May 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Mayak wrote:Probably from an A.I., it will make a rational calculation about earth's resources divided by humanities abilities, and come to the conclusion that its own survival depends on killing all of us.

That's the premise of this book...

... it doesn't turn out well for organic life.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Mayak » May 24, 2013 2:05 am

You know, I'm actually looking for a good book to read... :think: Did you enjoy the story?
Mayak

Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion