Is Universal Basic Income a good idea or a load of rubbish?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Is Universal Basic Income a good idea or a load of rubbish?

#21  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Jan 11, 2023 8:20 pm

I think it's kind of an absurdity that people have to earn the basics of life, food and a roof over one's head. Everybody should have that, no matter how leftie or lazy or loonie they are. There are certain things a society should guarantee.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Greg the Grouper » Jan 11, 2023 8:26 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:I think it's kind of an absurdity that people have to earn the basics of life, food and a roof over one's head. Everybody should have that, no matter how leftie or lazy or loonie they are. There are certain things a society should guarantee.

Okay, but have you ever considered that you're a filthy commie and you literally want society to collapse and for humankind to die off?
The evolution of intelligence has gone beyond the restrains of biological individual generations.
Greg the Grouper

Name: Patrick

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Seabass » Jan 11, 2023 8:42 pm

darnwelling wrote:It is not to be handed out to people who are too lazy or incompetent to earn it. I have no sympathy for anyone who whines about being poor, especially in this day and age. If you're poor, you deserve to be. If you want to be wealthy, work hard or work smart.

Cut to the chase and just say "black people". You know you want to. It's the everlasting and indestructible foundation that American "conservatism" is built upon: the belief that productive, industrious white people shouldn't have to pay taxes because the gubment just takes it and doles it out to lazy blacks.

Oh sure, conservatism gets a new coat of paint every generation—new excuses, new rationalizations, "it will trickle down, I promise!"—but when you boil away all the bullshit, what's left is white supremacy.

So just come out and say it already. You can't stomach the possibility that a dime of your hard-earned money might possibly be used to benefit unworthy black people, right? Just admit it now and spare us the pages upon pages of pointless shitposting.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#24  Postby Greg the Grouper » Jan 11, 2023 8:47 pm

I feel like the likelihood that the next thread is about either Critical Race Theory or systemic racism just increased massively. Anyone wanna bet the long odds?
The evolution of intelligence has gone beyond the restrains of biological individual generations.
Greg the Grouper

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 9:33 pm

Seabass wrote:
darnwelling wrote:It is not to be handed out to people who are too lazy or incompetent to earn it. I have no sympathy for anyone who whines about being poor, especially in this day and age. If you're poor, you deserve to be. If you want to be wealthy, work hard or work smart.

Cut to the chase and just say "black people". You know you want to. It's the everlasting and indestructible foundation that American "conservatism" is built upon: the belief that productive, industrious white people shouldn't have to pay taxes because the gubment just takes it and doles it out to lazy blacks.

Oh sure, conservatism gets a new coat of paint every generation—new excuses, new rationalizations, "it will trickle down, I promise!"—but when you boil away all the bullshit, what's left is white supremacy.

So just come out and say it already. You can't stomach the possibility that a dime of your hard-earned money might possibly be used to benefit unworthy black people, right? Just admit it now and spare us the pages upon pages of pointless shitposting.

The irony here is that your attitude to black people is condescending. You think black people are incapable of earning their own money so they need whites to subsidise them.

Just saying, since you brought up race.

What I'm saying is that no one has a right to a basic income. You work, you eat. You sit and complain, you die. No sympathy. I don't give a shit.
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#26  Postby Greg the Grouper » Jan 11, 2023 9:35 pm

THE BIGOTRY OF LOW EXPECTATIONS

Does anyone have a Bingo card?
Greg the Grouper

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 9:39 pm

Oh the po' blacks. What shall we do to help them? They can't do shit for themselves, let's subsidize them and give them reparations. That'll solve their problems fo' sho'.
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#28  Postby Greg the Grouper » Jan 11, 2023 9:45 pm

I like the affectation, very nice.
Greg the Grouper

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 9:46 pm

Greg the Grouper wrote:I like the affectation, very nice.

Mission accomplished, thank you.
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#30  Postby Greg the Grouper » Jan 11, 2023 9:49 pm

Oh, no, please, I'm the one who's grateful.
Greg the Grouper

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 9:49 pm

Greg the Grouper wrote:Oh, no, please, I'm the one who's grateful.

No, I insist.
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#32  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Jan 11, 2023 9:52 pm

Finally a thread where people are kind and polite.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Greg the Grouper » Jan 11, 2023 9:53 pm

darnwelling wrote:

No, I insist.

Oh, no, I couldn't possibly
Greg the Grouper

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 9:56 pm

Greg the Grouper wrote:
darnwelling wrote:

No, I insist.

Ok I'll let you win. Have the last word on this one. I better be careful anyway as I might get banned. Between you and me I don't think I'm liked much. And dat's da truth, Ruth.
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#35  Postby Greg the Grouper » Jan 11, 2023 10:00 pm

darnwelling wrote:
Greg the Grouper wrote:
darnwelling wrote:

No, I insist.

Ok I'll let you win. Have the last word on this one. I better be careful anyway as I might get banned. Between you and me I don't think I'm liked much. And dat's da truth, Ruth.

Folks here dislike you? I can't imagine why.

But yeah, you're obviously gonna get banned. It's not like you're gonna bow out willingly, right? So of course we're stuck waiting for the shoe to drop.
Greg the Grouper

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby romansh » Jan 11, 2023 10:02 pm

The question for me is which is more cost-effective:
1) providing people with a basic minimum wage safety net
2) or dealing with the aftermath of people falling through the cracks and potentially disrupting my nice lucky security?

Answers on the back of a post card please.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#37  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 10:03 pm

Greg the Grouper wrote:
darnwelling wrote:
Greg the Grouper wrote:
darnwelling wrote:

No, I insist.

Folks here dislike you? I can't imagine why.

But yeah, you're obviously gonna get banned. It's not like you're gonna bow out willingly, right? So of course we're stuck waiting for the shoe to drop.

It's a lot more fun when you're on the run. Wanna join me?
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#38  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 10:07 pm

romansh wrote:The question for me is which is more cost-effective:
1) providing people with a basic minimum wage safety net
2) or dealing with the aftermath of people falling through the cracks and potentially disrupting my nice lucky security?

Answers on the back of a post card please.

if you have a safety net, you have no incentive for people to do things for themselves. There's nothing wrong with a certain amount of welfare but it should be kept to a minimum. UBI is a stupid idea. Besides, companies would raise their prices making the whole thing pointless anyway. Unless of course the state gets involved, which is obviously a bad idea. The gov should be as small as possible and not get involved in people's lives so much. The whole UBI thing is just a dumb leftie pipedream.
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#39  Postby Greg the Grouper » Jan 11, 2023 10:08 pm

darnwelling wrote:It's a lot more fun when you're on the run. Wanna join me?

As enticing an offer as that is, the short time in which I've known you as engendered in me an unfathomable disgust in your very existence. I'll have to pass on this one, but maybe next time?
Greg the Grouper

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 10:10 pm

Greg the Grouper wrote:
darnwelling wrote:It's a lot more fun when you're on the run. Wanna join me?

As enticing an offer as that is, the short time in which I've known you as engendered in me an unfathomable disgust in your very existence. I'll have to pass on this one, but maybe next time?

Name one thing about me that disgusts you. I bet you can't.
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion