Looking At Meat Calms You Down

No, really.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Looking At Meat Calms You Down

#1  Postby Sityl » Nov 14, 2010 11:53 pm

Next time you experience road rage or get into an argument with the boss, maybe ordering a nice, big, hunk of steak will soothe your aggression.

Contrary to expectations, a McGill University researcher has discovered that seeing meat makes people significantly less aggressive. Frank Kachanoff, who studies evolution at the university’s department of psychology, had initially thought the presence of meat would provoke bloodlust, believing the response would have helped our primate ancestors hunt. But in fact, his research showed the reverse is true.

Kachanoff recruited 82 men and asked them to punish an aide with various volumes of sound each time he made an error while sorting photos, some with pictures of meat, and others with neutral images. The researcher had anticipated participants who watched the aide sort meat photos would inflict more discomfort on him, but he was surprised when those pictures did not provoke aggressive behaviour.

See more at:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the ... le1793519/
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Looking At Meat Calms You Down

#2  Postby j.mills » Nov 15, 2010 1:27 am

^ Your tax dollars at work.
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby blackarmada » Nov 15, 2010 1:33 am

So, in cases of road rage just unzip and show the other guy your meat?
財也大, 產也大
後來子孫禍也大
若問此裡是如何,
子孫錢多膽也大,
天樣大事都不怕,
不喪家產不肯罢
blackarmada

Print view this post

#4  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 15, 2010 1:49 am

j.mills wrote:^ Your tax dollars at work.

Normally I would disagree with this kind of comment on scientific research as, generally, all knowledge has unknown potential value. However, this research is fucking stupid. For starters, his initial assumption should have been that meat would have a calming effect; throughout an individual's life, meat (or food in general) would be strongly associated with relaxing and enjoyment so why would this make somebody angry?

Then, after having his stupid evolutionary explanation blown to pieces, he says:

“[W]ith the benefit of hindsight, it would make sense that our ancestors would be calm, as they would be surrounded by friends and family at meal time,” Kachanoff said in a press release.

:picard:

Yes, we have a part of our brain that has evolved to make us become calm at the sight of meat. That makes perfect sense.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#5  Postby j.mills » Nov 15, 2010 2:04 am

Has that just-so sound of conclusions that exceed evidence. Apart from anything else, what were his control photos? If he's measuring relative to war photos, he might well get a different result than relative to dolphins or numbers...

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 15, 2010 2:12 am

j.mills wrote:Has that just-so sound of conclusions that exceed evidence.

Indeed, Kipling would be proud!

j.mills wrote:Apart from anything else, what were his control photos? If he's measuring relative to war photos, he might well get a different result than relative to dolphins or numbers...

The article just says "neutral" photos. I can't find the article online and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't pass peer review.

This article actually has him starting out from a reasonable position:

Kachanoff, a researcher with a special interest in evolution at McGill University's Department of Psychology, has discovered quite the reverse. According to research presented at a recent symposium at McGill, seeing meat appears to make human beings significantly less aggressive. "I was inspired by research on priming and aggression, that has shown that just looking at an object which is learned to be associated with aggression, such as a gun, can make someone more likely to behave aggressively. I wanted to know if we might respond aggressively to certain stimuli in our environment not because of learned associations, but because of an innate predisposition. I wanted to know if just looking at the meat would suffice to provoke an aggressive behavior."

But he doesn't describe or suggest how he could possibly separate the learned associations from innate predispositions. Hilariously, he then goes on to say:

"We used imagery of meat that was ready to eat. In terms of behaviour, with the benefit of hindsight, it would make sense that our ancestors would be calm, as they would be surrounded by friends and family at meal time," Kachanoff explained. "I would like to run this experiment again, using hunting images. Perhaps Thanksgiving next year will be a great opportunity for a do-over!"

I wonder if people will react negatively or aggressively to pictures of people carrying guns and killing animals... :think: :picard:
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#7  Postby natselrox » Nov 15, 2010 5:40 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
“[W]ith the benefit of hindsight, it would make sense that our ancestors would be calm, as they would be surrounded by friends and family at meal time,” Kachanoff said in a press release.

:picard:

Yes, we have a part of our brain that has evolved to make us become calm at the sight of meat. That makes perfect sense.

I knew it! :rofl:

You can run, but you can't hide from Evopsych nuts!
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Teox » Nov 15, 2010 1:15 pm

blackarmada wrote:So, in cases of road rage just unzip and show the other guy your meat?

He might just like my circumcised meat :naughty2:
Anything you experience based on knowledge is an illusion. U G Krishnamurti
Teox

Name: Teox
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby katja z » Nov 15, 2010 3:10 pm

I'll just have the vegs, please. :shifty:

As a vegetarian, looking at meat is more likely to make me nervous (or even sick) than calm. Just saying.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby wraillantclark » Nov 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in this research. You can find the original press release here: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-11/mu-cbt110510.php

As mentioned in the release, this is undergraduate research that was presented at symposium, and therefore has not been peer reviewed or published.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further details.

William Raillant-Clark
william.raillant-clark@mcgill.ca
Communications Officer - Scientific Research, Media Relations
Agent de communications - Recherche scientifique, Service des relations avec les médias
McGill University - Université McGill
MONTRÉAL
514-398-2189 (office/bureau)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/raillantclark
wraillantclark

Name: William Raillant-Clark

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby j.mills » Nov 15, 2010 8:17 pm

And of course he is not measuring people's reaction to looking at meat. He is not even measuring their reaction to looking at pictures of meat. To the extent that he is measuring anything, he is measuring people's (men's) reaction to looking at people looking at pictures of meat. If you wanted to design an experiment from which no conclusions could be reached, this would be the way to go...

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby 210karman » Nov 15, 2010 8:26 pm

So is there a case for a pork butchers in Jerusalem ?
Lighthouses are more helpful then churches — Benjamin Franklin.

It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring - Robert Ingersoll.
210karman
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#13  Postby j.mills » Nov 15, 2010 9:21 pm

This, I suspect, is the only acceptable 'case' for a pork butcher in Jerusalem:

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 16, 2010 1:32 am

wraillantclark wrote:Hello,

Thank you for your interest in this research. You can find the original press release here: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-11/mu-cbt110510.php

As mentioned in the release, this is undergraduate research that was presented at symposium, and therefore has not been peer reviewed or published.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further details.

Welcome William, I hope you stick around :wave:

I saw this part of your press release:

The idea that meat would illicit aggressive behaviour makes sense, as it would have helped our primate ancestors with hunting, co-opting and protecting their meat resources.

Although I disagree with the claim that such an association "makes sense" (as all the current evidence on learning would suggest the result that they found), I'm more concerned about the "illicit aggressive behavior" you discuss. Did they measure behavior that was more heinous and immoral than normal aggressive behavior? ;)

I would email you for further details but I'm a bit too lazy to bother - however, if you do happen to stop by again, is there an online copy of the report available? Preferably something with the methodology section and their discussion would be interesting. It's possible that we've been too hard on them as a result of poor media reporting, and they might actually hold more reasonable positions than the ones stated in the online articles..
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#15  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Nov 16, 2010 3:59 am

Just reading " A genius for War" (Carlo D'Este's biography of General George S. Patton Jnr.). Meat certainly seemed to calm Patton down. He was certainly less neurotic and happier when in battle. [As for male meat I am not sure, as his taste for it is not mentioned]. Mind you, I am not claiming Patton as a typical human being! ;) ;)
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#16  Postby byofrcs » Nov 16, 2010 5:17 am

I do remember reading about pink colour schemes in prisons reducing aggression. Perhaps the pink/reds of the meat photos are triggering this too ?

Equally seeing your own raw flesh could also have survival advantages if you did then reduce aggression and withdrew from whatever fight you got yourself stuck into.

So many ways of slicing this up so that undergrad has got some great opportunities for grants. I can imagine meat marketing boards paying for some of this.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby King Hazza » Nov 18, 2010 10:23 pm

Jeeze, I could have told them that.
----------------------------------------------
Wikileaks enhances democracy
SUPPORT JULIAN ASSANGE and the leakers who stick their necks out for others
-----------------
King Hazza

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby MattHunX » Nov 19, 2010 9:01 am

Chicken breast bits make me calm and excited at the same time. :grin:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#19  Postby j.mills » Nov 19, 2010 9:19 pm

MattHunX wrote:Chicken breast bits make me calm and excited at the same time. :grin:

FIFY. :grin: (Hey, somebody had to say it.)

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby MattHunX » Nov 19, 2010 9:28 pm

j.mills wrote:
MattHunX wrote:Chicken breast bits make me calm and excited at the same time. :grin:

FIFY. :grin: (Hey, somebody had to say it.)

Saw that one coming from a mile away. :) :roll:

:cheers:
MattHunX

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion