Male parental responsibilities

Split from 'Is there a secular argument against abortion?'

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Male parental responsibilities

#981  Postby purplerat » Jul 21, 2017 3:40 am

willhud9 wrote:Yeah. HIV or any sexual transmitted disease.

If someone tells me they have HIV, they did the responsible thing. If I say, "I don't care, fuck me anyways" and proceed to have unsafe sex with them, sure they could have said no, but the fact that I contracted HIV would lie solely with me. I made the decision to have sex with an HIV positive person knowing full well I could contract the disease.

The HIV person is not legally responsible. The HIV person is not responsible for me getting HIV. I am responsible for getting HIV because I decided the risk of getting HIV wasnt enough of a deterrent to have unprotected sex.

There is your analogy.

You realize you just made the pro-life argument from the other thread, right.

In most states, including yours, it's a crime to not tell a sexual partner that you are HIV positive if you know your status. Here's the citation you'll certainly request.

http://projects.propublica.org/tables/penalties
Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-67.4:1(B)
Class 1 Misdemeanor
Any person who, knowing he or she is infected with HIV, has sexual intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, “anallingus” or anal intercourse without having previously disclosed the existence of his or her HIV infection to the other person shall be guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.

So your partner who told you they were HIV positive wasn't acting responsibly. They were doing what the law required. Which is basically the same as the law requiring women to consider what the father wants in choosing an abortion or not. At least as far as your analogy goes.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#982  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jul 21, 2017 3:54 am

"You could have fixed this for me but chose not to so you're a jerk and I'm not paying to keep the resulting human being alive!"

If that isn't a convincing argument, I don't know what is.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#983  Postby mrjonno » Jul 21, 2017 7:31 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:"You could have fixed this for me but chose not to so you're a jerk and I'm not paying to keep the resulting human being alive!"

If that isn't a convincing argument, I don't know what is.

You are forgetting that these jerks believe 'in rights' and that somehow that is more important than responsibilities.

Neither men or women have 'rights' over a child but far right extremist libertarians will never accept that, to them 'rights' are everything whether they exist or not.

You create a child fuck your rights, fuck fairness and in fact fuck you pay for your offspring you worthless excuse for a human being. In fact failure to do so should be considered child abuse, throw such people in jail with paedophiles
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#984  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jul 21, 2017 9:03 am

This is exactly why I'm over child support being viewed as a solution. Dudes largely aren't interested in the children they produce and feel they result from women choosing not to clean up a mess for the both of them as opposed to being the product of their own choice to have unprotected sex. Too many of them aren't interested, feel no responsibility and will avoid by any means possible paying child support. Having to fight a reluctant parent for child support can be toxic for the active parent, which is going to do the kid no good. I'd rather crap parents just fuck off and for there to be public resources available to compensate for the lack of child support received.

I'm not chasing after a disinterested baby daddy because it's not fucking worth it. I don't mean to let them off easy but even if I did receive the money, it probably wouldn't go far (it's not like child support paid is often significant) and the time and energy required to get it would do all kinds of damage.

That being said, I know a LOT of women who shook their heads after dudes cut and run and said the same thing but after trying to make ends meet on their own for six months or a year, gave up because the 70% of their income they receive during mat leave plus whatever welfare they qualify for frequently isn't enough to give a baby what they need, regardless how frugally they live.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#985  Postby mrjonno » Jul 21, 2017 9:30 am

I'm not chasing after a disinterested baby daddy because it's not fucking worth it. I don't mean to let them off easy but even if I did receive the money, it probably wouldn't go far (it's not like child support paid is often significant) and the time and energy required to get it would do all kinds of damage.

That's fine if you aren't receiving benefits from the state due to a lack of income (no idea if you are or not), if you are getting benefits then they are coming out of the general taxation not the person who should be contributing.

I'm not coming at this from the point of view of the mother or father but partly the child and partly the tax payer.
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#986  Postby Papa Smurf » Jul 21, 2017 9:49 am

The_Metatron wrote:
Papa Smurf wrote:
purplerat wrote:Then why no solidarity for childcare? Why is the primary goal making sure people can get out of paying their fair share?

People should pay their fair share. As I've pointed out repeatedly there are plenty of scenarios where the man should rightfully be required to pay child support.

You're god damned right there are. In every scenario which a man fathers a child, that man should support that child as it grows.

Every scenario? So in cases such as these:

• Woman freely and willingly agrees (in advance or perhaps even after the fact) to have an abortion if anticonception fails but changes her mind afterwards
  • Woman steals the condom after sex and uses the content to impregnate herself
  • Woman punctures the condom. This is in a way even worse than the previous scenario since this would have to be considered pre-meditatet.
  • You throw the condom in the garbage can outside and someone comes along and impregnates 10 women with your sperm. Should you be required to pay child support? Obviously not.

you think the father should pay child support if she gets pregant and decides not to abort the pregnancy in all four cases? I'm sure you will agree that in case 4 that would be unheard of and I cannot imagine how you could justify case 1.

As for cases 2 and 3, condom puncturing, you might argue that even if she had not done that she might have gotten pregnant so you can't be sure that it was the condom puncturing or the stealing of sperm followed by artificial insemination that caused the pregancy. But she did stack the odds in her favor to an enormous extent. If an elderly man decides to walk through a shady ally, gets mugged and dies of a heart-attack, I would say that the mugger should be held responsbile even if there is a theoretical possibility that the man would have had a heart attack withough being mugged before leaving the ally.

Incidentally, I would still like to know what you answer is to this question which was directed at you.

The way I see it if a couple has unprotected sex then it's fair to assume for both parties that there is an intent, desire or at least a full acceptance of the (possibily of) creating a child. The man should not be able to opt out. In principle the woman should not be able to opt out either, except because of her bodily autonomy. If people laid eggs right after having sex (or if fertilization would take place externally as in fish) then both parents should have the right to brood out the egg since they both went in with at least the assumption that the other person wanted to create a child or would want to keep it. Bodily autonomy does not come into play.

If a man puts on a condom (or a woman takes the pill), it's fair to assume for both parties that at least the party who employed or requested or initiated the use of anti-conceptive measures has hereby expressed a desire to not create a child. The main problem is that in most cases it is not dicussed what should happen if a pregnancy results despite the anti-conception. Who's reponsibility is that? Again if people laid eggs, both parents should have the right to smash the egg. Bodily autonomy does not come into play.

If the man puts on a condom and does not ask if the woman will have an abortion if his preventive measure fails, you could argue that he has not exercised due dilligence. But you could also argue that the woman has not been upfront, if she sees the man put on a condom or asking her if she's on the pill, it would be most fair if she discloses that if those measures fail she is not going to have an abortion. If she does, the man is certainly responsible if he proceeds to have sex.

The woman on the other hand is allowed complete control over what happens if she gets pregnant (which is absolutely fine unless she explicitly promised to have an abortion if she got pregnant) and can demand child support as well. This removes any requirement for her to excercise due dilligence. Even if she made such an explicit promise, it seams that most or all of the people here who oppose my view think it's fine and dandy if she changes her mind for whatever reason and does not have an abortion (breach of agreement so morally questionable unless she has an objectively valid reason) but, most importantly, also expect the man to pay for child support.

Some have made a comparison to STDs and how getting a woman pregnant causes a man to contract parenthood. Yes, he contracts parenthood in a sense, but only strictly biologically. In striclty biological terms, it means fuck all and has no direct physical consequences for him.

Strictly biologically, it is the woman who contracts pregnancy and childbirth, not the man. It is our society and laws (which by and large assume a monogamous lifestyle) that hold the man responsible, he himself is not directly (biologically) affected by the pregnancy or childbirth.

Our monogamous lifestyle and our habit to raise children together is most likely an evolutionary outcome that has been selected for because it was advantageous, but that does not make it the only possibility. It's just that we have decided to codify this into law. A law that in most cases works fine but in some scenarios is unfair. Tough luck? You could just as well reverse that and say tough luck if you had protected sex and got pregnant from a man who does not want to support you or your child. She has the most to lose (especially if she is opposed to abortion for herself) so she should excercise due dilligence and discuss what if. Current law or society's expectations basically removes all obligations from her to excercise due dilligence and essentially shifts it to the man.

Isn't the way this is arranged in part a remnant from the past, where women were expected by society to stay at home and raise the kids and man were suppose to provide an income? These days it doesn't work that way in many families with both parents working.

Perhaps condom packaging should display,in large font, something like this:

FAILURE RATE: 1%. DISCCUS WHAT YOU WILL DO IN CASE OF PREGNANCY
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#987  Postby mrjonno » Jul 21, 2017 10:16 am

The answer to those strange cases is sadly I think the man would still have to pay as its just impossible to legislate on false promises in relationships. If a man says he loves a woman to get her into bed is it rape? (the answer is no)

Sorry child welfare trumps dad (and mother) welfare regardless of how fair it is
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#988  Postby Papa Smurf » Jul 21, 2017 10:28 am

purplerat wrote:You still haven't given a good reason as to why a person should be absolved of their responsibility just because somebody else could have fixed the problem for them but didn't?

For one thing, I'm pretty sure that if the man could fix the problem afterwards he would do so. But he's not allowed or able to do that, only the woman is.

There are scenarios where the man should be absolved from responsibility. If the woman agreed to have an abortion in case she gets pregnant, he should be off the hook. And there are of course other extreme cases such as puncturing a condom or stealing sperm from a condom. I don't see how you could not agree to these scenarios in principle. In practice it might be hard to prove any of this and in principle it would upon the man to show that it is extremely plausible that she did make such a promise, that she did puncture the condom or that she did steal the content.

Please refer to my previous post which also relates to your question.

purplerat wrote:False analogy because the passenger never had responsibility for being on the track. If the driver was for some reason unable to get off the tracks nobody would ever suggest the passenger was responsible.

But he suffers the consequences all the same. And if the car belongs to the passenger and the passenger agreed to go to a certain destination and agreed to take a route that would them the accross the rail-road crossing he did contribute to the fact that they are no heading towards a rail-road crossing with a non-zero chance of a train crossing it at exactly the same they as the car if both keep driving at their current constant speed.

purplerat wrote:Even if you argue that the passenger chose to be there they would never have a responsibility beyond to themselves.

Exactly. The passenger is not responsible for the driver not wanting to hit the brakes to prevent a colission. Yet he is made to suffer regardless because of the failure of the driver to decide to hit the brakes.

purplerat wrote:If two adults get in a car and together choose to put a child in the back seat, then your scenario happens, in no case would the passenger be responsible.

Exactly, but the passenger and the child both are made to suffer the consequences of the driver's decission not to hit the brakes.

purplerat wrote:Yet you've acknowledged that with parental responsibilities if neither person had a choice beyond the initial choice then both would be responsible.

But in this case the driver does have that choice. They are not stuck on the railroad or something, they are driving towards it at a speed that is going to cause them to collide with the oncoming train. The passenger is not allowed or able to grab the steering wheel or hit the brakes.

purplerat wrote:You tried with the analogy of a driver and passenger but the choice to be a driver is not the same as being a passenger. Anybody can choose to be a passenger but being a driver requires a number of qualifications

In the actual case we're dicussing, being a driver requires that you are a woman. Men are not allowed to drive and he's not allowed to touch the steering wheel or the brakes and he is also not allowed to jump out of the car. If the man was allowed to drive he could chose to hit the brakes if he wanted to, grab the steering wheel or jump out if he was allowed to do that.

The passenger has done everything he could do to ensure a safe journey. He's take care of the car, made sure the driver has a driver's license and is a competent driver and the driver has told him that she's not suicidal and is not intent on colliding with a train. She changes her mind and yet he is still not allowed to intervene or jump out because he knew there was a risk that they might arrive at a railroad crossing at the exact same time as a train.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#989  Postby Papa Smurf » Jul 21, 2017 10:34 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:If the pregnancy is her problem alone, she doesn't need to tell anyone.

If she intends to have the child and sue him for child support, she does because then it's no longer only her problem. If anything, she should give advance notice so that the man has some time to prepare for what's coming. It would be totaly unjust to keep this from him and immediately after birth go after his money. If he had known earlier he might have made different choices, such as not enrolling into university or something but finding a job instead. If she wants him to be responsible, she should give him every opportunity to take that responsibility.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#990  Postby Papa Smurf » Jul 21, 2017 10:43 am

willhud9 wrote:But I am of the firm belief that a man does not have parental rights simply because he shares DNA with the child.

If he had unprotected sex and did not discuss what to do (an abortion) if she gets pregnant he does have a parental responsibility in my opinion.

In some other scenarios he may not. See my previous post to The_Metratron.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#991  Postby mrjonno » Jul 21, 2017 10:49 am

Papa Smurf wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:If the pregnancy is her problem alone, she doesn't need to tell anyone.

If she intends to have the child and sue him for child support, she does because then it's no longer only her problem. If anything, she should give advance notice so that the man has some time to prepare for what's coming. It would be totaly unjust to keep this from him and immediately after birth go after his money. If he had known earlier he might have made different choices, such as not enrolling into university or something but finding a job instead. If she wants him to be responsible, she should give him every opportunity to take that responsibility.

If the mother wants benefits of the state to look after the children its everyone business, in fact the state is ultimately responsible for all children including collecting bills to pay for it
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#992  Postby Papa Smurf » Jul 21, 2017 10:55 am

The_Metatron wrote:
willhud9 wrote:... The mother has control over the fetus and has 100% of the parental rights upon the birth of the child. If I were to change that the law, that would be my primary focus.

Where is this so? Not in your country.

I'm not intimately familiar with US law but if I Google 'unmarried parental rights' this is the first hit (bold mine):

http://www.google.nl/search?q=unmarried+parental+rights wrote:
When a man has paternity he is seen by the law as the legal father. It is taken for granted (presumed) that the mother is the parent of her child. ... An unmarried father has no legal rights to custody or visitation of the child. Only a legal parent can ask the court for custody or visitation.

http://www.google.nl/search?q=unmarried+parental+rights

It's the same here. I'm not married with my girlfriend (even though after so many years I usually refer to her as my 'wife' if not by name) so I had to actively request paternity rights and she had to agree and sign that request, even though we had been together for over 15 years, have been living together for a long time in a home that we bought together and I have been the primary provider for our family for a long time and our equivalent of the IRS treats us as a family with a combined income.

Still I had no paternity rights whatsoever when my child was born. Even doing a paternity test would not change the fact that she would have to agree to giving me those rights, simply because we're not married. And incidentally I'm not the one holding off marriage. She definitely wants to spend the rest of her life with me but she has some issues, not related to me personally, with marriage.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#993  Postby Papa Smurf » Jul 21, 2017 11:00 am

purplerat wrote:

The mother has control over the fetus and has 100% of the parental rights upon the birth of the child. If I were to change that the law, that would be my primary focus.

This is false. Do your homework, especially as somebody who so often relies on "citation" as an argument.
http://www.livesaymyers.com/fathers-rights-virginia/

I only skimmed through that but I think it applies only to married fathers who are getting a divorce. If you were not married at the time of birth it's different, see my previous post.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#994  Postby Papa Smurf » Jul 21, 2017 11:03 am

The_Metatron wrote:You said that women have 100% of the parental rights upon the birth of a child. Yes, you said it.
Where do they have that absolute right over a child? In what universe?

As far as I can tell in the universe where the father is not married to the woman, right there in the USA and in my country as well. If I misunderstand what is written at that link (or if you think you don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to my country's laws which affected me directly) please let me know.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#995  Postby Papa Smurf » Jul 21, 2017 11:09 am

purplerat wrote:We've already had one person say that if a person is responsible for causing another person's injuries in a car crash and the doctor does not save them then the person who was originally responsible should be absolved. Maybe you can get on board with that idiocy.

I already explained (I hope that post didn't vanish also) that the doctor in fact murdered the victim by willingly and for his own personal benefit not treating the vicitim for something that even a medical laymen could have treated. The driver was only responsible for hitting the man and thereby providing the doctor the opportunity to murder the man by withholding a simple treatment.

No sane person or judge would ever say that the driver is responsible or liable for the victim's death.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#996  Postby Papa Smurf » Jul 21, 2017 11:21 am

laklak wrote:
willhud9 wrote:The HIV person is not legally responsible. The HIV person is not responsible for me getting HIV. I am responsible for getting HIV because I decided the risk of getting HIV wasnt enough of a deterrent to have unprotected sex.

True. You are responsible because you had unprotected sex. You know that by having unprotected sex with an HIV positive partner you may contract HIV.

You also know that by having unprotected sex with a fertile woman you may contract child support.

Also if you have protected sex according to most here (biologically you do of course at least have a chance of contracting pregnancy which is a bit different).

Anyway, contracting child support happens only because that's how it's codified into law. The only person who suffers actual biological consequences of pregnancy is the woman, not the man. She can cure that early on but if she choses not to do so whilst knowing that she cannot afford to take care of the child properly, she gets to have someone else to help clean up her mess by providing money.

So if you have unprotected sex with a person with HIV (EDIT: and you know that) and you are infected and supposing a fairly simple cure exists for HIV if, and only if, you treat it within the first 24 weeks (and assuming that there are obvious early symptoms that you've been infected such as, say, no menstruation, morning sickness that you have noticed so you know you're infected) but the person who contracted it decides not to have that early treatment, he can then demand from the person they got it from that they pay much more expensive treatments?
Last edited by Papa Smurf on Jul 21, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#997  Postby Papa Smurf » Jul 21, 2017 11:31 am

The_Metatron wrote:
willhud9 wrote:...

As for men choosing, they have no rights in this matter. They have the choice to fuck or not to fuck. Cool so does she. She chooses to fuck and allow him to cum inside her. She has the right to do so. But if she allows a man to cum inside her then she AUTOMATICALLY waives the responsibility if the man gets her pregnant. Why? Because by consent she recognizes that is a risk to her own body she is accepting.

Sure. I'll go along with that, with a bit of clarification. I agree that the woman accepts the responsibility for the risk to her person, in that specific scenario.

Awesome.

The_Metatron wrote:However, if that union ends in a child, she doesn't possess the authority to waive your responsibility to support that child. Neither do you.

Unless, of course, you're good with denying infant humans the right to its parents' support.

The person primarily responsible should be the person who made the ultimate decission to bring a child into the world they cannot support. That responsible person should hold the other person harmless from the consequences of his/her actions.

Infant humans have the right to support. It doesn't matter in principle who provides that support, as long as it's adequate. If a single mother decides to have a child (under such circumstances as I've described before repeatedly) while she cannot afford it, the state should provide and not go after the father who had zero say in that ultimate decission, except if the mother could reasonably have assumed that the father would support her and the child (ie. the circumstanced I've described previously do not apply).

Very difficult in practice no doubt, especially for the man to prove that he used a condom or that the woman agreed to an abortion if it failed so in many cases the man would end up paying child support after all. But if he can 'prove' those things...
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#998  Postby Papa Smurf » Jul 21, 2017 11:40 am

mrjonno wrote:The answer to those strange cases is sadly I think the man would still have to pay as its just impossible to legislate on false promises in relationships. If a man says he loves a woman to get her into bed is it rape? (the answer is no)

Sorry child welfare trumps dad (and mother) welfare regardless of how fair it is

I agree with Rachel that the best way to serve the child's interest is for the state to provide in case of an unwilling father. But if it is clear or reasonable to believe that it would have been reasonable for the mother to assume that he would support her and the child (for instance by not using protection and not insisting on an abortion if she does) than the state should try to collect from him.

With the state acting as a buffer the mother (or whichever parent is taking the responsibility of raising the child) will not have to wait for checks in the mail or something, won't have to plead to please send that check, in fact won't have to communicate at all with the unwilling party, plus if the other person dies or goes out of a job it would not immediately impact well-being of the child.

Last post for today.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#999  Postby mrjonno » Jul 21, 2017 11:53 am

Well that's an argument for the state doing most of the work in chasing of the father (which it probably does) but in the meanwhile cover the costs which it gets back of the father eventually.

I know there are plenty of mothers who don't want the father involved financially but that's tough if they want state benefits

I put the general tax payer and child as roughly as equal as important as each other, both parents are way below that.

I would prefer a good 25% maybe 50% of people didn't have children as they simply aren't fit parents and everyone had a breeding license if they wanted a child but as we don't live in MrJonno world we will have to do with child maintenance from fathers
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1000  Postby purplerat » Jul 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:
purplerat wrote:

The mother has control over the fetus and has 100% of the parental rights upon the birth of the child. If I were to change that the law, that would be my primary focus.

This is false. Do your homework, especially as somebody who so often relies on "citation" as an argument.
http://www.livesaymyers.com/fathers-rights-virginia/

I only skimmed through that but I think it applies only to married fathers who are getting a divorce. If you were not married at the time of birth it's different, see my previous post.

How did you get that? The only reference to divorce is in saying that the lawyers responsible for that page are "custody and divorce" lawyers. Nothing else suggests anything about marriage or divorce.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion