North American 2018 Holiday ideas

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: North American 2018 Holiday ideas

#181  Postby willhud9 » May 28, 2018 4:18 pm

Just casual google search about $1,000+ if a left today. Depending on layovers.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#182  Postby Mike_L » May 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Pricey :shock: . But you'd find accommodation and other costs cheap once here. Current exchange rate is 12 rands and 44 cents to 1 US dollar!
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#183  Postby The_Metatron » May 28, 2018 4:29 pm

jamest wrote:How do you guys feel about leaving the bulk of your valuables (unneeded money/cards, tickets, passports etc.) in hotel safes? Do you trust them or do you prefer to carry everything of value with you wherever you go?

The cleaning staff have keys to those safes. Physical keys. Those electronic safes have default maintenance codes that must be changed by the installer. If they haven’t, well, those codes are public knowledge.

Those safes are an illusion of security.

Carry traveler’s cheques or cards, and little cash. Don’t both carry the same cards, either. If you both have a copy of multiple cards and either of you loses them, you have to cancel them all and you’re fucked. Split them up. Do this with anything you’d keep in a wallet.

Also, clear your wallets of absolutely everything you will not need over here. There’s no need to expose things to unnecessary risk of loss.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#184  Postby laklak » May 28, 2018 7:05 pm

willhud9 wrote:
laklak wrote:We're resorting to cannibalism in some parts of the South. Not here, of course, no problems here. You can come stay with us.

In Virginia, it is considered rude if you do not eat your neighbor. Part of that Southern hospitality sort of thing. We all know Floridians are a bit too Yankee for the South.

Florida is the only state where the norther you go the souther you get. I'll put our panhandle salt water rednecks up against any mountain redneck or Georgia scrub pine redneck anytime.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#185  Postby laklak » May 28, 2018 7:07 pm

U.S. to Joeys is usually around $13-1500. Last trip over cost me $1600. But, like Mike said, it's cheap once you get there.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#186  Postby willhud9 » May 28, 2018 7:12 pm

laklak wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
laklak wrote:We're resorting to cannibalism in some parts of the South. Not here, of course, no problems here. You can come stay with us.

In Virginia, it is considered rude if you do not eat your neighbor. Part of that Southern hospitality sort of thing. We all know Floridians are a bit too Yankee for the South.

Florida is the only state where the norther you go the souther you get. I'll put our panhandle salt water rednecks up against any mountain redneck or Georgia scrub pine redneck anytime.

I don't know man. I feel like we are comparing apples to oranges.

Bayou rednecks, farm country rednecks, and Appalachia rednecks are all distinctly different.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#187  Postby laklak » May 28, 2018 7:27 pm

They's all fruit offen the same bush. I have considered doing a sociological study of rednecks, try to figure out exactly how many subspecies there are. There are significant differences in, for example, Louisiana bayou rednecks, Alabama Gulf coast salt water rednecks, Florida lake rednecks, riverine rednecks, and Texas bay rednecks. Appalachian mountain rednecks are quite different from inland farm rednecks. There are big river rednecks along the Mississippi and Ten Tom, and small river rednecks on the Suwanee or Apalachicola. However, all the various subspecies can, and occasionally do, interbreed.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#188  Postby The_Piper » May 28, 2018 9:58 pm

There are northern rednecks too. Maybe they're too distantly related to say the eye from the same species, rednuckus American is though. Everything north of bangor. Northern my and most of vermont, which is at least as red necked as northern maine. Given it's proximity, I'd expect northern by to have norternus individuals.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#189  Postby The_Piper » May 28, 2018 9:59 pm

Goddamned phone autocrrect. Rant included.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#190  Postby willhud9 » May 28, 2018 10:04 pm

I wonder if the Canadian redneck should be classified as a subspecies or a distinct species? :ask:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#191  Postby felltoearth » May 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Absolutely!

84485C38-EDDF-4E94-B8D0-C15E20FA1EA5.jpeg
84485C38-EDDF-4E94-B8D0-C15E20FA1EA5.jpeg (96.56 KiB) Viewed 961 times
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#192  Postby willhud9 » May 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Everything was funny until the broken shoelace comment. Now I feel attacked. :waah:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#193  Postby Macdoc » May 29, 2018 12:03 am

Joberg - don't they pay you go there ??? :whistle:

I'd never found low cost flight to Cape Town tho I suspect if you went cheap to London then booked direct - but it's an 11 hour slog,

That's not bad from NY round trip US $

(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)
Good Deal:
$901
or less (round trip)
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#194  Postby jamest » May 29, 2018 12:27 am

The_Metatron wrote:
jamest wrote:How do you guys feel about leaving the bulk of your valuables (unneeded money/cards, tickets, passports etc.) in hotel safes? Do you trust them or do you prefer to carry everything of value with you wherever you go?

The cleaning staff have keys to those safes. Physical keys. Those electronic safes have default maintenance codes that must be changed by the installer. If they haven’t, well, those codes are public knowledge.

Those safes are an illusion of security.

Carry traveler’s cheques or cards, and little cash. Don’t both carry the same cards, either. If you both have a copy of multiple cards and either of you loses them, you have to cancel them all and you’re fucked. Split them up. Do this with anything you’d keep in a wallet.

Also, clear your wallets of absolutely everything you will not need over here. There’s no need to expose things to unnecessary risk of loss.

I don't want to (if there's a reasonable alternative) be walking the streets of Toronto and the US for a whole month holding a bag with all of our passports/licenses/cards/cash/tickets/documents. That will be a major pain in the arse. Plus, there's no guarantee I won't be robbed at some point. So I'm playing the odds here.

I've just been doing a bit of googling again. Apparently there are two hotel room safe lock locks you can buy, Milockie and Bloxsafe, but the former seems too flimsy and the latter too expensive.

I'm not sure what to do, but it's clear to me that I cannot wholly trust hotel safes with all of the aforementioned valuables. My only option seems to be to bite the bullet and carry the shit on a daily basis, or else trust our suitcase locks and also invest in another mini-safe to go inside my suitcase. I'll give it more thought. Thanks for your input.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#195  Postby Macdoc » May 29, 2018 12:38 am

That's what cargo pants/shorts are for. and an under clothes passport/wallet/cash
https://www.rei.com/product/819719/eagl ... eck-wallet
You can also leave valuables at the front desk....

You are overthinking this....everyone takes responsibility for their own - split the risk and if paranoid go underclothes.
My passport and wallet are always in velcro or buttoned pockets on either thigh. If it's with you - you aren't worried about it,

Yiou will 100% want at least one decent backpack and they have secure pockets ,,...just make sure it has a chest strap.
My Swiss backpack has a hidden pocket that I didn;t even find tll recently.

Take water, snacks, souvenirs. Mind is my carryon bag for all my international trips.

Backpacks likely one of the most critical bits of gear for you since you are walking a lot. You want your hands free and you want to be able to carry some layers for clothes ....and ffs leave the woolens at home. Fast dry polyesters...
Last edited by Macdoc on May 29, 2018 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#196  Postby The_Metatron » May 29, 2018 12:45 am

I think front desk would be your best bet. I’d insist on an itemized receipt of what you’ve given them to secure, though.

$????.?? In cash
Two credit cards, Visa, acct. ending in XXXX
Watch, Casio
Camera, Kodak

You need your passports with you anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#197  Postby The_Metatron » May 29, 2018 12:48 am

But, I can say I always, always carried my own valuables when traveling. Rome IAP, Seoul, London, wherever. I had no losses.

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#198  Postby Macdoc » May 29, 2018 12:55 am

Why?
It's a good idea but they can also be left at the hotel.
Last edited by Macdoc on May 29, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#199  Postby The_Metatron » May 29, 2018 1:04 am

You have to consider, against what are you protecting? If it’s armed robbery, there is no defense. Give them your shit and sort the rest later. Dummy wallets come to mind.

Pickpockets are easier to beat. By far, the best defense is situational awareness as you move through crowds. These little parasites’ stock in trade is distraction.

As The Most Interesting Man in the World, on the subject of self defense, said: “The right look should suffice.” Cute ad copy, but with a sound basis, I think. These guys don’t pick their targets at random. They are looking for someone easily distracted.

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#200  Postby The_Metatron » May 29, 2018 1:08 am

Macdoc wrote:

Why?

Do you want to try being the undocumented foreigner in today’s Dumbfuckistan?

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion