POP made the bottle.

a little mystery I'd like to elucidate

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

POP made the bottle.

#1  Postby Svartalf » Aug 17, 2020 9:55 am

So, I wondered if any of you folk would have an explanation for a phenomenon I just witnessed.
So I have this opened bottle of wine in my fridge, it's not fizzy wine. for whatever reason, I've left it there unfinished for some weeks

I wanted to have a glass with lunch, so I took it out and took the cork out (it's a reused port bottle cork, since the original one could not be wedged back in place) and I got a surprise. When I took it out, the cork came out more forcefully than expected, and with a very loud pop... like gas pressure had built up inside the bottle. except I have no idea where said buildup could have come from, since it's a still wine.

Also, I don't think it started fermenting again, as a) it's a dry wine, so no more sugar to ferment, and b) the taste did not change noticeably.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: POP made the bottle.

#2  Postby newolder » Aug 17, 2020 10:04 am

Check the local meteorology, perhaps. High atmospheric pressure when you put the opened bottle in the fridge and lower atmospheric pressure when you removed the cork.

Or, indeed, vice versa.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Blackadder » Aug 17, 2020 11:03 am

Or quite possibly the air in the bottle contracted as it cooled, creating a pressure difference. I've found this before with Tupperware boxes containing food that have been placed in the fridge while still warm. The lids are drawn inwards as the pressure drops inside the container.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Aug 17, 2020 5:20 pm

A simple test for fermentation is to slip a balloon over the mouth of the bottle. If the ballon tries to inflate you have fermentation, which could be for either alcohol or vinegar. A mew strain of yeast could have entered the opened bottle and is acting on what sugars are still present, and even dry wines have a little left over sugars the parent yeast might not be able to convert to alcohol.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby campermon » Aug 17, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm just trying to get my head around the idea that a bottle of wine can end up back in the fridge once opened. :shock:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Svartalf » Aug 17, 2020 5:39 pm

It's rosé, I must admit that a bottle of red would likely have lasted MUCH less.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby campermon » Aug 17, 2020 5:42 pm

:lol: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion