Pre school children given gun licences

A strategy to teach responsible handling of firearms in NZ

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Pre school children given gun licences

#1  Postby Kiwi » Mar 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Lucy Coup, 4, shows off the laminated gun licence she earned for learning the dangers of and rules about using guns. "We don't shoot people, because it might hurt them,'' she says.

Four-year-old preschooler Lucy Coup has already earned her own gun licence. Like the other children at her Auckland kindergarten, and in childcare centres around New Zealand, the youngster hangs the laminated licence from a string around her neck when she plays with her toy gun – but she must shoot at the target. "We don't shoot people, because it might hurt them," Lucy says firmly. Instead of banning gun play, many early education centres are adopting a policy that sees children earn a "gun licence" once they brush up on the dangers.

In Wellington, Ngaio Kindergarten is among those who have adopted the practice. Lucy's grandmother, Dorothy Coup, was confused when she heard that her grandchild was the bearer of a gun licence. At first she thought Lucy must have picked up a discarded licence on the street – but when she was told her granddaughter had been given it at kindergarten, she thought it was a hoot. "When she came home with her gun licence, I thought it was a very good compromise. "If you've got little boys running around and shooting everyone and disturbing people's play ... then what a good idea."

The licences were introduced at Te Atatu Village Kindergarten last month, after a group of rowdy boys pretended to shoot all the other children with their fingers. Early childhood teacher Louise Samuels said teachers decided to contain the gun play, making sure children understood the real-life implications of guns and putting strict rules in place. "What I noticed in my other workplace, when we banned it, was that the children would hide and shoot you – they get sneaky about it. The play would turn quite negative. "We teach them you don't leave [guns] lying on the floor, you don't shoot people, you make sure you ask to borrow someone else's gun."

If a child "pretend" shoots another child, they have their gun licence revoked. All the guns are made by the children out of paper or cardboard, and must be stored in a gun rack between play sessions. Lucy's mum, Jules Coup, said it was good to teach children about the rights and wrongs, especially young boys, who would "make a gun out of a Marmite crust" if they could. "It has not been a negative thing in any way. I think the teachers have been incredibly clever in the way they have handled it.
"When Lucy came home with her gun licence we all thought it was a bit of a joke, she gave it a go but found out it wasn't really for her."

Central North Island Kindergarten Association general manager Jan Ballantyne said labelling gun play as "bad" and banning it sent a mixed message to children whose fathers were hunters, farmers or in the armed services.

"For us to be making value judgments like that is quite wrong, but children need to know that there are rules. It's important for children to know, yes, there are guns, they can kill, and there are rules around that." The Wellington Kindergarten Association said it was aware of some kindergartens in the area introducing the policy. Ngaio Kindergarten head teacher Rebecca Cross said that, in the 18 months since gun licences had been introduced, they had made a positive impact. "Children will always make guns, whether it's in front of you or behind your back, so we thought it was better to teach them about safety."

Continue reading
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educati ... n-licences
Kiwi

Male

Print view this post

Re: Pre school children given gun licences

#2  Postby ramseyoptom » Mar 29, 2011 10:19 pm

I always thought that the Kiwis had a sensible view of firearms
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Gallstones » Mar 30, 2011 1:07 am

Not the US this time then.

I must say though, that in the culture I grew up in where there are guns and they are used, like a hunting culture as I did, learns to respect them and not to fear them. My father and grandfather and uncles all made gun cabinets, furniture-like locking gun cabinets. It was a completely ordinary and unremarkable thing to have rifles locked up in, what was essentially, furniture/a piece of cabinetry.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#4  Postby rEvolutionist » Mar 30, 2011 3:42 am

Interesting approach. I wouldn't necessarily agree with them encouraging them to make guns or whatever, but this seems like a good compromise between discouraging violent play and being realistic.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Kiwi wrote:Lucy Coup, 4, shows off the laminated gun licence she earned for learning the dangers of and rules about using guns. "We don't shoot people, because it might hurt them,'' she says.

There are adults around the world who have yet to learn that lesson.
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby pennypitstop » Mar 30, 2011 12:24 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Interesting approach. I wouldn't necessarily agree with them encouraging them to make guns or whatever, but this seems like a good compromise between discouraging violent play and being realistic.

I have to agree.

Personally I find it rather distasteful seeing a child with a gun or playing at shooting but if you're growing up in an environment that contains guns, for what ever reason, then teaching children about their dangers can only be a good thing.
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
pennypitstop

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby AlohaChris » Mar 31, 2011 7:55 pm

All three of my children can recite the "4 Rules" of gun safety from memory. Before taking them to the range, we practiced safen handling, using the rules. At the range I supervise them while making them performing the tasks of locking the action open, unloading & showing clear. They really enjoy stopping the hordes of zombie balloons that infest the range. :)

For those who don't have guns in their homes, you may want to teach your kids these gun safety rules as an absolute minimum:

"If you see a gun or a friend wants to 'show' you a 'real' gun I want you to:

1. STOP.
2. Don't Touch.
3. Leave.
4. Tell an Adult."
"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night."
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Name: Chris
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 01, 2011 2:23 am

AlohaChris wrote:All three of my children can recite the "4 Rules" of gun safety from memory. Before taking them to the range, we practiced safen handling, using the rules. At the range I supervise them while making them performing the tasks of locking the action open, unloading & showing clear. They really enjoy stopping the hordes of zombie balloons that infest the range. :)

For those who don't have guns in their homes, you may want to teach your kids these gun safety rules as an absolute minimum:

"If you see a gun or a friend wants to 'show' you a 'real' gun I want you to:

1. STOP.
2. Don't Touch.
3. Leave.
4. Tell an Adult."

I failed all those rules when playing with my Dad's gun when I was a kid. :shifty:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Tyrannical » Apr 01, 2011 3:23 am

Lucy Coup, 4, shows off the laminated gun licence she earned for learning the dangers of and rules about using guns. "We don't shoot people, because it might hurt them,'' she says.

Wow, even at 4 smarter than scores of inner city youth in the US.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 01, 2011 3:24 am

Tyrannical wrote:

Yeah, but we (cops, military) do shoot people.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby NeedAnswers » Apr 01, 2011 3:34 am

Tyrannical wrote:

That was kind of ignorant, it has nothing to do with intelligence. Inner city youth in the US aren't taught these rules.
NeedAnswers

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Tyrannical » Apr 01, 2011 4:18 am

NeedAnswers wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:

That was kind of ignorant, it has nothing to do with intelligence. Inner city youth in the US aren't taught these rules.

:lol:
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Gallstones » Apr 01, 2011 4:37 am

Preschoolers can be sweet and suggestive and cooperative. If they want this lesson to take, they better repeat it again before puberty.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#14  Postby johnbrandt » Apr 02, 2011 11:13 am

I've always found it amusing that if people say we should educate young people about gun safety and the responsible use of firearms, we're called insane gun nuts, as if teaching safety is somehow "wrong". :roll:

But then again in my country we have politicians who on the one hand wring thier hands about young car drivers dying in accidents, and yet at the same time saying that proper driver training and advanced driving courses for young people shouldn't even be considered as they "do no good" and "encourage dangerous driving" (really...). :what:
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby NeedAnswers » Apr 03, 2011 1:31 am

johnbrandt wrote:I've always found it amusing that if people say we should educate young people about gun safety and the responsible use of firearms, we're called insane gun nuts, as if teaching safety is somehow "wrong". :roll:

But then again in my country we have politicians who on the one hand wring thier hands about young car drivers dying in accidents, and yet at the same time saying that proper driver training and advanced driving courses for young people shouldn't even be considered as they "do no good" and "encourage dangerous driving" (really...). :what:

When it comes to driving in the US, it's literally "Here's a book, study it and take the test. When you're ready, bring your car back and we'll judge you based on what we see of you in one single driving exercise. After that, you're on your own. May insurance bless you."

When it comes to guns, eventually everyone will have access to guns or some kind of weapon. If politicians were smart they'd instruct people about gun safety, especially presuming that guns are going to be cheaper in the future than they already are, and that people will use them to protect themselves.
NeedAnswers

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Tyrannical » Apr 03, 2011 1:48 am

BTW, we sure this story wasn't just a slightly eary April Fools?
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby mrjonno » Apr 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Any British parents here, is it acceptable to give young kids toy guns these days. I know I played with them when I was a kid but times have changed.

My sister in law wouldnt let her 3 year near a toy gun nor would she allow one in the house , no problems with pretend violence for a lot older kids but as at that age its pushing it a bit
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 04, 2011 12:29 am

:coffee:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#19  Postby pennypitstop » Apr 04, 2011 10:48 am

mrjonno wrote:Any British parents here, is it acceptable to give young kids toy guns these days. I know I played with them when I was a kid but times have changed.

My sister in law wouldnt let her 3 year near a toy gun nor would she allow one in the house , no problems with pretend violence for a lot older kids but as at that age its pushing it a bit

No toy guns here. I really don't think kids that age should be playing 'shooting each other' it's not an acceptable subject to turn into fun and trivialise.
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
pennypitstop

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion