PZ Myers v Pappa (both are members of RatSkep)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

PZ Myers v Pappa (both are members of RatSkep)

#1  Postby devogue » Jul 23, 2012 5:16 am

PZ Myers v Pappa

Absolute tragi-comic gold.

I haven't laughed as much since watching The King of Kong.
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

Re: The post that made you LOL today.

#2  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jul 23, 2012 5:19 am

devogue wrote:PZ Myers v Pappa

Link? Must see.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#3  Postby Pulsar » Jul 23, 2012 5:57 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:

Link? Must see.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2012/07/22/rationalia-isnt/

It's surreal. Myers calls Rationalia a "pro-rape" forum, because of one single comment :crazy:
A forum of which he's a member, but I guess that irony is lost on him. Unfortunately, it seems that the thread at Rationalia is no longer publicly visible; a very bad decision, now people can't see what was actually said.

PZ's crusade is becoming insane. Will we be next?
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 23, 2012 6:05 am

Wow, he's really gone over the edge. When did that happen?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Onyx8 » Jul 23, 2012 6:11 am

Does anyone ever disagree with him on his site?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby hackenslash » Jul 23, 2012 6:26 am

Not for long. I see he's banned JackRawlinson, and everybody's calling him a troll. That's not my experience of Jack who, if memory serves, is the only poster ever to get an Orson for a first post.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Pulsar » Jul 23, 2012 6:30 am

Onyx8 wrote:Does anyone ever disagree with him on his site?

comeatmebro lasted surprisingly long: PZ bans him in comment #415.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#8  Postby devogue » Jul 23, 2012 6:42 am

hackenslash wrote:Not for long. I see he's banned JackRawlinson, and everybody's calling him a troll. That's not my experience of Jack who, if memory serves, is the only poster ever to get an Orson for a first post.

I very rarely raise an eyebrow in surprise these days, but this was just awesome, Hulk Hogan-esque drama:

PZ Myers

22 July 2012 at 5:02 pm

So some nasty little site makes jokes about raping people, and you’re here to chastise US? Guess what, jackrawlinson, you’ve been an asshole as long as you’ve been commenting here, and now you’re an asshole who has been BAAAAAAAAANNNED. Straighten out your warped, scrambled priorities somewhere else, because I’m done with you

Hilarious, isn't it? - like Bill Oddie dressed as Judge Dredd.

I want to buy Jack a beer (though I think I might have annoyed him in the past as well :grin: ).

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#9  Postby devogue » Jul 23, 2012 7:03 am

by Pappa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:51 pm

OK, sorry but this'll have to be brief. I start a new job today so I don't have much time.

1. PZ, why don't you ever shut the fuck up and think before you engage your fingers? If you weren't already a member here I'd call you an idiot, but you are and I don't want to break the rules.
2. PZ, where to we purport to be rational? We're two of Dawkins' bastard children, hanging out here because it's more fun and way less anal than most of the other places we could go. Besides, have you read some other irrational crap you've posted occasionally? You're an intelligent and thoughtful guy, almost always worth reading. But sometimes you jump on some random banwagon without much rational thought at all.
3. PZ's followers. You're a bunch of retarded arse-lickers (not all of you, just the retarded ones who aren't also members here). Seriously, are you not able to understand concepts like irony, hyperbole and irreverent humour?

There are times when I want to get down on my knees, hold my hands out, smile lovingly at the universe and whisper "thank you for the internet".

This is one of those times.

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#10  Postby mraltair » Jul 23, 2012 7:31 am

Ho hum. Another purportedly rational forum that thinks rape is a joke.

There was another purportedly rational forum that thought rape was a joke?
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby devogue » Jul 23, 2012 7:40 am

mraltair wrote:
Ho hum. Another purportedly rational forum that thinks rape is a joke.

There was another purportedly rational forum that thought rape was a joke?

www.atheistsoapbar.org

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Simon_Gardner » Jul 23, 2012 8:04 am

PJ is right - given that (AFAIK) the site's founder was the gross misogynist in question. The site should close itself down out of shame.
Last edited by Simon_Gardner on Jul 23, 2012 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image (Since 27 Nov 1987)
Dates - YYYY/MM/DD; measure metric scientific.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts - attrib Patrick Moynihan
Simon_Gardner

Name: Twitter @Simon_Gardner

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Aern Rakesh » Jul 23, 2012 8:12 am

Pulsar wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Link? Must see.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2012/07/22/rationalia-isnt/

It's surreal. Myers calls Rationalia a "pro-rape" forum, because of one single comment :crazy:
A forum of which he's a member, but I guess that irony is lost on him. Unfortunately, it seems that the thread at Rationalia is no longer publicly visible; a very bad decision, now people can't see what was actually said.

PZ's crusade is becoming insane. Will we be next?

I've seen what was said, as I am still a member, and I wonder how anyone could imagine that people wouldn't take offence? I have to say, reading through the comments on that thread, I was really proud of Gallstones for stating the obvious, i.e. it isn't cool to joke about rape, in whatever context.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby BlackBart » Jul 23, 2012 8:12 am

Withdrawn. Apologies to PZ Meyers.

Does posting a post FROM 'The post that made you LOL today' IN 'The post that made you LOL today' cause an infinite feedback loop? :ask:
Last edited by BlackBart on Jul 23, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby babel » Jul 23, 2012 8:21 am

That's ok. Just don't link them.

I'm amazed both 'sides' are convinced they can regulate each others boards, telling them what they thought at the time when the posts were made and what thoughts are allowed. There 's a reason both crowds don't seem to mingle well folks.
Disregarding the 'joke', I think I would fit in better with the ratz people than the pharyngula's as the latter seems to take pride in ad homing their opponents rather than anything else.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Aern Rakesh » Jul 23, 2012 8:24 am

babel wrote:
Disregarding the 'joke', I think I would fit in better with the ratz people than the pharyngula's as the latter seems to take pride in ad homing their opponents rather than anything else.

I don't know anything about pharyngula, and I'm grateful for the ratz people for giving us that refuge before we found the lifeboat, but I'm taking it from your post, babel, that you also agree that joking about rape is in poor taste?
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Simon_Gardner » Jul 23, 2012 8:25 am

This wasn't even a 'joke about rape', now was it?
Image (Since 27 Nov 1987)
Dates - YYYY/MM/DD; measure metric scientific.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts - attrib Patrick Moynihan
Simon_Gardner

Name: Twitter @Simon_Gardner

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby babel » Jul 23, 2012 8:31 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:
babel wrote:

I don't know anything about pharyngula, and I'm grateful for the ratz people for giving us that refuge before we found the lifeboat, but I'm taking it from your post, babel, that you also agree that joking about rape is in poor taste?

To say the least, yes.
However, even though I can't really disagree with their point now, I've read some topics at pharyngula before and their mob mindset is sickening. Each to their own. Apart from the referrals such as this one, I hardly cross over to other boards and leave them to their own board culture.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Aern Rakesh » Jul 23, 2012 8:37 am

Simon_Gardner wrote:This wasn't even a 'joke about rape', now was it?

Do you mean in the sense that it was a very nasty comment directed towards a particular group of women?

babel wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:
babel wrote:

To say the least, yes.
However, even though I can't really disagree with their point now, I've read some topics at pharyngula before and their mob mindset is sickening. Each to their own. Apart from the referrals such as this one, I hardly cross over to other boards and leave them to their own board culture.

Well like I said I can't comment on pharyngula or the members of that forum. And I didn't even hear about this issue on that forum—or even here, i.e. RatSkep—I heard about it via FB.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby babel » Jul 23, 2012 8:40 am

Facebook. So this thing went viral?

Glad they don't have more important things to complain/campaign about. :roll:
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion