question about cigarette smoking

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: question about cigarette smoking

#101  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 28, 2011 4:01 pm

Stagman wrote:I was a smoker for a few years until I quit cold turkey 11 years ago. I had then become an anti smoker but since recent experience* I have decided to tone down a bit. Now I just avoid smokey areas and keep my mouth shut. Smokers won't not smoke due what I have to say - I think they have to experience the bad side** first before doing something about it.

* Spent the better part of this year in hospitals with a rare work related lung disease (with similar effects to what a smoker may get). Thus I have had contact with many lung disease patients and a good portion had their problems due to smoking.

**Bad side is the slow asphyxiating death. I've been there, nearly. Thats right, I nearly died. Doctors gave me two weeks just before adding me to the waiting list for lung transplantation. Luckily I only had to wait 4 days. Having to use all your available energy just to breathe is tiring. No energy left to even eat. Can't walk let alone stand. Trust me, you'd be much better off doing your best preventing the problem in the first place.

Holy shit!!

Good on you for pulling through. My dad died of copd.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#102  Postby Laurens » Oct 30, 2011 9:40 am

I have recently given up smoking, I am on the e-cigarettes now, although I'm planning to see how I do without them once my bottle of liquid runs out.

I would say ,however that the main reason I have managed to quit is not having the money to spend on tobacco. When you can't budget for them, quitting the smokes becomes a whole lot easier!
"In so far as a scientific statement speaks about reality, it must be falsifiable; and in so far as it is not falsifiable, it does not speak about reality."
- Karl Popper

Blog | Music
Laurens

Name: Laurens Southgate
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

question about cigarette smoking

#103  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 30, 2011 9:52 am

Laurens wrote:I have recently given up smoking, I am on the e-cigarettes now, although I'm planning to see how I do without them once my bottle of liquid runs out.

I would say ,however that the main reason I have managed to quit is not having the money to spend on tobacco. When you can't budget for them, quitting the smokes becomes a whole lot easier!

I'd bet my sister spends a quarter of her disposable income on cigarettes. I remember thinking how I'd quit when they got up to a buck a pack. I used patches as replacement therapy for six weeks, tapering down their dosage every two weeks. 13 years ago, nearly.
Last edited by The_Metatron on Oct 30, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#104  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 30, 2011 9:55 am

Laurens wrote:I have recently given up smoking, I am on the e-cigarettes now, although I'm planning to see how I do without them once my bottle of liquid runs out.

The only way to quit is to quit nicotine altogether. Nicotine addiction is a powerful thing, and budgeting for cigarettes is much easier than you think, especially if you are jonesing for one.

I have been nicotine free for 3 years to the day and it took the scare of my life to do it. But I tell you, the longer you go without, the easier it gets. Think of every day as scoring points. Soon you will be counting months, then years. But also know, the instant you take one drag, you must start the counter all over again.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 11, 2018 12:00 pm

I haven't read this thread but just listened to a very informative you and yours phone in on Radio 4. The most salient item for me was a professor or some such saying that the positive correlation between the less-well-off in society and smoking is most likely explained by the fact they have rather miserable lives, relatively speaking. This also jibes with people who have anxiety/depression etc smoking more and finding it harder to quit. My current strategy is to try and cut down. I write down the time of every cigarette I have during the day, when I can, and started with the aim of going at least an hour between them. Up to 3 hours between them now....but of course when I drink I lose my inhibitions/work ethic and smoke like a chimney still, relaxing, cutting loose.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#106  Postby surreptitious57 » Sep 11, 2018 2:16 pm

I am at the completely opposite end of the spectrum as I have anxiety but do not drink or smoke
My OCD tells me that no alcohol can be taken less all of the housework is done to its satisfaction
I have also got out of the habit of drinking and feel no need to start again [ but can if I want to ]
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#107  Postby Skinny Puppy » Sep 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I haven't read this thread but just listened to a very informative you and yours phone in on Radio 4. The most salient item for me was a professor or some such saying that the positive correlation between the less-well-off in society and smoking is most likely explained by the fact they have rather miserable lives, relatively speaking. This also jibes with people who have anxiety/depression etc smoking more and finding it harder to quit. My current strategy is to try and cut down. I write down the time of every cigarette I have during the day, when I can, and started with the aim of going at least an hour between them. Up to 3 hours between them now....but of course when I drink I lose my inhibitions/work ethic and smoke like a chimney still, relaxing, cutting loose.

That’s a good start! :clap:

I know from previous threads that you’ve tried and failed, but you can fail 1000X, but that’s no reason to give up hope.
I read, somewhere, that quitting smoking can be as hard; possibly even harder than getting off of drugs. However, as long as you keep trying, regardless of failures, one day you will do it. :thumbup:
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#108  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 12, 2018 5:24 pm

I think having an effective strategy is more important than pure will. You can bash your head against a brick wall a thousand times and never get anywhere, but if you properly plan a way to climb over it, you may not make it at first, but at least that way success is possible.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 5:29 pm

I have a post for this thread tomoz...a bloody good one to which I will dedicate circa 10 mins. All change.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion