The ramifications of blockchain technology?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The ramifications of blockchain technology?

#1681  Postby Thommo » Oct 24, 2023 1:27 pm

jamest wrote:The situation we are in now is that we know that the USD is about to die very soon, but we don't know precisely when. Imo, we are just one more black swan away from oblivion. Another bank crisis, another 'plague' (don't get me started on covid), or war, will finish the dollar off.

It's fascinating. According to you we were zero events away from this happening a couple of years ago*. Now we're one event away from it happening, also according to you.

That would mean either things are improving dramatically (beyond parabolically even! That's an infinity percent improvement! Wow! Hyperbole!) or the goalposts are moving.

Perhaps we should revisit this prediction after the next event and see if the goalposts are still in place. Or perhaps, like the many previous predictions this one will be quietly ignored if and when it turns out to be wildly overblown**. I know where my money is going - leopards, spots and all that.

jamest wrote:I am certain though, that the financial crisis I've been prediciting for over a year now, has started. I didn't predict the catalyst, this virus, but that is irrelevant. Neither am I here to score points or gain thumbs ups. I just want you guys - members I've been speaking to for many years - to wake the fuck up and do something to minimise your suffering.

At this precise moment, the 18th March 2020, with all that's happening, I think that anybody who ignores my advice is a fucking idiot.

I'm not here predicting exact numbers, just exact futures. This virus is going to destroy the world as we know it.

:lol:

**You know, like the time one person being arrested in Australia meant Australia was now a fully fascist state.

PS: A couple of points of fact worth mentioning. Debt affordability for nation states is best expressed as debt to revenue or debt to GDP. US debt to GDP isn't rising parabolically over any meaningful time frame, nor does a parabola have any significance, technical or otherwise in this context. Getting debt to GDP under control does not require paying back any of the capital in any economy that has either (a) inflation or (b) growth.

And for what it's worth, the US devaluing its currency to deal with debts would be catastrophic in the way the financial crash was catastrophic, but not to the cataclysmic extent you portray with such undeserved confidence.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1682  Postby THWOTH » Oct 25, 2023 11:39 am

jamest wrote:
THWOTH wrote:
You're not paying attention. In the event of this predicted fiscal collapse how is your possession of gold or bitcoin going to allow you to acquire chinos and advocaat, or toilet paper, or energy? Do you believe that commodities like gold &/or bitcoin have some kind of inherent value that insulates them from wider social-economic factors? If so, where is that value located?

A means of global trade is an absolute necessity, which is to say that a trusted global currency is an absolute necessity. Gold has fulfilled that role many times for thousands of years. It has worked, at least temporarily, to facilitate economic order across the globe. Its value and capacity to do that was derived mainly from its scarcity, which is why bitcoin could also fulfil the role. The point is that when the fiat system collapses there will be no other choice than to adopt such a commodity to re-establish economic order and stability.

In the event of the collapse of the fiat system there will be a brief period of panic and carnage in which your fiat currencies will be deemed next to worthless such that you'll probably need a wheelbarrow to carry enough funds to buy a loaf of bread. I expect though that governments already have an emergency plan for such a situation: revaluing their currency against a new world reserve currency. That will probably be gold initially, as the US has a lot of it and the price of gold will skyrocket. In this scenario a gold-backed $ might still act as the world's reserve currency but by this juncture I suspect that many nations will have had their fill of the USA and $, especially the BRICS nations. Also, the memory of 1971 still lingers. In any case, gold could still be used to stabilise the situation even temporarily.

All you're saying is that, in the event of a massive fiscal collapse, gold will back whatever reserve currency replaces the US dollar. That's not addressing the issues or solving the problems you have with fiat money - that's just maintaining and moving the concept around a bit. You've just reinvented fiat money to replace fiat money.

The gold standard was abandoned because there wasn't enough gold in the world to represent the amount of value created by the system. Economists call denying this The Goldfinger Hypothesis - the assumption that the value money represents is inextricably tied to material, either the amount of coins and notes in the world, or the amount of gold or bitcoins etc. In order to progress your argument you need to think about value: what it actually is and where it actually comes from: what makes money, gold or bitcoin worth something.

Think of it this way. The predicted fiscal collapse is upon us. Under the previous system you were lucky (wealthy) enough to acquire 10 kilos of gold. Whatever that gold cost you under the previous system it's value has now obviously changed. Now, is it more or less valuable than it was before - how do you calculate the value 10 kilos of gold now represents?

Because the old money system has collapsed, has your 10 kilos become both a token of value and a token of exchange? In other words, how do you actually spend it? How many pairs of chinos or bottles of advocaat can you buy with it, how long will 10 kilos last and how do you acquire more gold to replace what you spend? On balance, is your pile of gold going to get larger or smaller? On balance, is the value of the gold you hold going to go up or down, or remain constant? These are important, practical questions.

Let's assume that in order to survive you are going to have to transfer whatever value 10 kilos of gold has in this new world to others. However, a lot of people don't value gold as a token of exchange because it has no practical, functional use for them - they can't eat it or wipe their bums with it. These people place greater value on your labour than on that dull, yellow heavy metal, and so only by donating your labour can you secure the essentials you need to keep you and your loved ones afloat. You agree between you that in return for a day's labour you'll receive a certain weight in potatoes. Your body and it's capacity for work has now become the token of value and exchange on one side of an economic agreement, and potatoes have become the token of value and exchange on the other. Perhaps you are too old and broken to labour for a day, but somebody else in the community does value gold enough that you can pay them in it to perform a day's labour on your behalf, such that you get some spuds and they get some gold. How do you work out a fair equivalence in value there, let alone go about quantifying the amount of value in this system or determining what the 10 kilos of gold under your floorboards is actually worth?

If scarcity determines value then the gold under the floorboards is going to become increasingly more precious and valuable to you as the pile goes down, because it represents the only way you can secure the things you need to live. But at the same time the shrinking pile is going to become increasingly less value to others because you have less and less to offer them. Towards the end you'll have to offer greater amounts than you did to begin with as your hunger and thirst become more acute. Ultimately, your understanding of economics as a form of barter mitigated only by tokens of exchange (money, gold, bitcoin) leads to your dessicated remains becoming the subject of study by future archaeologists.

As I keep suggesting, you have to account for what value is and where it comes from before you start thinking about how it is generated, distributed, and represented socially - either through gold, coins and notes, or a string of digits on your banking app. I asked the earlier question--"Do you believe that commodities like gold &/or bitcoin have some kind of inherent value that insulates them from wider social-economic factors? If so, where is that value located?"--in order to strike at this fundamental question about value. You didn't answer it, but simply repeated your misapprehensions about money as-if things like gold or bitcoin do have some inherent value which automatically insulates them from wider social-economic factors. Such assumptions are misplaced.

The time for you to exercise your legendary philosophical skill on the question of value is well overdue my friend. I suggest starting small, and working up.

Question 1: What is value?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1683  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 25, 2023 12:48 pm

The efficacy of the object towards wiping one's bum?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1684  Postby THWOTH » Oct 25, 2023 7:27 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

The efficacy of the object towards wiping one's bum?

I prefer to say 'towards hydrating your gravy'.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1685  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 25, 2023 9:18 pm

Seems like value is simply that which people are willing to pay for a good or service, isn’t it?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1686  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 26, 2023 6:34 am

'notoriously volatile' - not how you want your currency to be described.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1687  Postby THWOTH » Oct 26, 2023 12:06 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Seems like value is simply that which people are willing to pay for a good or service, isn’t it?
Perhaps, in a pecuniary sense. But if I drive over to your place and gift you a sack of apples from my orchard are we to say that the apples or the gesture are worthless because you didn't pay for a good or service?
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1688  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 26, 2023 1:34 pm

Ooh, if we're all getting a shot: a quantification of desirability, specifically in a comparative function to other desired goods or services.

That is, at least, an agreeable rendition for most modern economics schools' theory of value.

There could be other answers for other systems, like Marxist analysis, for example in which value = labour.

So if you drove over and gave me a sack of apples that I don't want or need, I might still say thank you to be polite, but the value would be near zero for me - zero desirability (beyond the value of friendship and the desirability of maintaining that relationship :hug: ). This might remain hidden until you, for example, asked me to pay for the petrol to deliver the apples which you still give me for free. At that point, the disparity in the cost to me comparative to my lack of desire for the apples might induce me to tell you to stuff 'em where the sun don't shine. :grin:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1689  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 26, 2023 1:53 pm

THWOTH wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:Seems like value is simply that which people are willing to pay for a good or service, isn’t it?
Perhaps, in a pecuniary sense. But if I drive over to your place and gift you a sack of apples from my orchard are we to say that the apples or the gesture are worthless because you didn't pay for a good or service?

No, but they were worth something to you to get them. Apples don’t simply grow on trees.

All right, they do. But they need tending. Pretty cheap, but not free.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1690  Postby THWOTH » Oct 26, 2023 6:12 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
THWOTH wrote:

No, but they were worth something to you to get them. Apples don’t simply grow on trees.

All right, they do. But they need tending. Pretty cheap, but not free.

Aye. This hints at what Sandra was saying above regarding a Marxist Theory of Value, that the effort or labour involved in production is the basis of value. Others might take another view, and say that the apples themselves embody a certain amount of value in as much as apples are tasty and nutritious - that apples have utility. Others still combine these ideas to say something like labour + utility = value.

I won't say more at this point because I'm hoping jamest will respond to my earlier post, and I'm reluctant to post something that might give him an excuse to skip it.
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1691  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 26, 2023 7:05 pm

Love the optimism, Thelma.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1692  Postby felltoearth » Oct 27, 2023 12:16 am

jamest wrote:It's about why fiat currency is a doomed Ponzi scheme…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1693  Postby THWOTH » Oct 30, 2023 10:23 am

:coffee:
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1694  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 30, 2023 10:37 am

2 months and then repeat.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1695  Postby Thommo » Nov 17, 2023 6:10 pm

I saw this pop up on Youtube this week, after Sam Bankman Fried was convicted.

A pretty interesting follow up to the conversations here last year regarding coffeezilla's criticism of FTX.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1696  Postby tuco » Nov 18, 2023 4:19 pm

Watching the vid another one caught my attention talking about the involvement of his parents:

and then another one:

Bloomberg journalist Zeke Faux travelled around the world to better understand the world of crypto currencies, meeting the biggest names in the space on superyachts in the Caribbean, at parties in Miami and travelling to El Salvador to see how bitcoin is being used in the real world.

and while I am not sure it brings anything new as I don't follow the crypto scene I found it pretty amusing.
tuco

Print view this post

#1697  Postby romansh » Nov 29, 2023 7:05 pm

"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#1698  Postby jamest » Dec 02, 2023 1:14 am

Is there an actual point to mentioning specific lawsuits involving crypto, other than saying: "Look how easily you can be shafted"?
Because criminality applies universally and historically to any currency or asset (and institutions thereof) you'd care to mention, not least of which is the US dollar and government, the FED and the SEC. Fuck 'em all.

You can be shafted in any walk of life, but if you do your homework then your bitcoin/crypto can be the safest asset that you'll ever own. Why? Mainly because it's decentralised: unlike any other asset that you can own, your government cannot take it off you directly as it's an intangible asset held in intangible storage which only the individual owner has the keys to unlock.

People have been shafted on certain centralised crypto exchanges because they left their crypto on them for too long. Not a wise move, especially if you have a lot of crypto. My advice here? Buy your crypto and move it to your own hard wallet asap, or a good decentralised wallet.

I've been in crypto for approaching 5 years. If you're sensible then your 'money' is as safe here as anywhere else you'd care to mention. Safer, actually, when one reviews what happened in 2007/08 and realises that next time... kaput!

In times of dire need your government will fleece you, as the US famously did in the 1930s with gold. They'll do it again with gold or housing or bank assets or shares/stocks if they have to. They won't be able to do it with bitcoin.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#1699  Postby tuco » Dec 04, 2023 11:46 am

I will speculate that if posters engaged with you in this thread believed you could be reasoned with on this issue, they would have little trouble pointing out what you are asking. Let me try a short one: FTX token.
tuco

Print view this post

#1700  Postby THWOTH » Dec 04, 2023 1:03 pm

Spearthrower wrote:2 months and then repeat.

:book:
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion