What is a 'Portion'?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

What is a 'Portion'?

#1  Postby Alan B » Apr 01, 2014 2:16 pm

The UK health professionals have recently suggested that we in the UK should increase our intake of fruit & veg. to seven or more 'portions' a day.
Telegraph
Checking the NHS website for confirmation, I find that while one tomato counts as a portion, it takes two handfuls of blueberries to make another helping, and I’d need to put away a whole dessert bowl of lettuce.

I could then make up my total of 10 portions today by eating 14 button mushrooms, four heaped tablespoons of curly kale, 16 medium okra, eight spring onions, a large parsnip, 20 raspberries and one peach.

The link below is not very informative:
NHS Portions - PDF
For instance it lists 'one orange' as a portion. Is that a 70g orange or a 200g orange? If it is a '70g' orange, will the 200g orange be equivalent to about three 'portions'?
It would be more informative if the 'portions' were expressed as an approximate (minimum) weight.

How do other countries' health advisory bodies deal with this?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: What is a 'Portion'?

#2  Postby Animavore » Apr 01, 2014 2:19 pm

I'm not sure what a "portion" is exactly, it seems to be about 1.5-2 times what processed food companies think it is. "Serves 4 people" - I think not.

Though surely a "portion" differs between individuals?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 01, 2014 2:22 pm

Does Polish vodka with apple juice count?
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 01, 2014 2:22 pm

The important thing is to live for as long as possible :roll: Pass me the chocolate cake so I can enjoy myself!
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » Apr 01, 2014 2:32 pm

MacIver wrote:Does Polish vodka with apple juice count?

Of course it does... :snooty: :whistle:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Alan B » Apr 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Animavore wrote:Though surely a "portion" differs between individuals?

I would think so, too. What may be sufficient for a 1.5m sedentary person would obviously not be enough for a 2m athlete.

To me it seems that the 'ball-park' figures for published nutrition GDA that one sees on various 'health & nutrition' websites are driven by the food industry - they always seem to be in excess of what one actually requires - and the food labelling authorities have fallen for it. The published GDA information is only relevant to a small proportion of the population.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby ED209 » Apr 02, 2014 1:47 pm

I think I heard by 'portion' they mean 80g.
Why don't they just fucking say 80g then :dunno:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#8  Postby Banzai! » Apr 02, 2014 1:53 pm

oh and apparently potatoes doen't count at all, so you cant just go to the chippy and order 10 bags of chips ;)
Banzai!

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Clive Durdle » Apr 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Last edited by Clive Durdle on Apr 02, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby kennyc » Apr 02, 2014 1:56 pm

7 Rules for Eating
Choose Food Over Food-Like Substances, Food Writer Michael Pollan Tells CDC

By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Health News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD
March 23, 2009 -- We Americans suffer a national eating disorder: our unhealthy obsession with healthy eating.

That's the diagnosis delivered by food author Michael Pollan in a lecture given last week to an overflow crowd of CDC scientists.

As part of an effort to bring new ideas to the national debate on food issues, the CDC invited Pollan -- a harsh critic of U.S. food policies -- to address CDC researchers and to meet with leaders of the federal agency.

"The French paradox is that they have better heart health than we do despite being a cheese-eating, wine-swilling, fois-gras-gobbling people," Pollan said. "The American paradox is we are a people who worry unreasonably about dietary health yet have the worst diet in the world."

In various parts of the world, Pollan noted, necessity has forced human beings to adapt to all kinds of diets.

….

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/ ... for-eating
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby catbasket » Apr 02, 2014 2:25 pm

This BBC page says that a UK portion is indeed 80g and that spuds don't count.

I read a similar page recently which showed the differences in recommended daily fruit and veg intake for several countries. Thought it was also on the Beeb but can't find it now. Iirc other places have much higher recommended daily numbers of portions and indeed their portions are larger than Brit portions.
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nicko » Apr 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Quite obviously, a "portion" is less than "too much" and more than "not enough".

Sometimes I worry about you people.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Mondegreen » Apr 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Alan B wrote:The UK health professionals have recently suggested that we in the UK should increase our intake of fruit & veg. to seven or more 'portions' a day.
Telegraph
Checking the NHS website for confirmation, I find that while one tomato counts as a portion, it takes two handfuls of blueberries to make another helping, and I’d need to put away a whole dessert bowl of lettuce.

I could then make up my total of 10 portions today by eating 14 button mushrooms, four heaped tablespoons of curly kale, 16 medium okra, eight spring onions, a large parsnip, 20 raspberries and one peach.

The link below is not very informative:
NHS Portions - PDF
For instance it lists 'one orange' as a portion. Is that a 70g orange or a 200g orange? If it is a '70g' orange, will the 200g orange be equivalent to about three 'portions'?
It would be more informative if the 'portions' were expressed as an approximate (minimum) weight.

How do other countries' health advisory bodies deal with this?

I have the same complaint about the system over here in the States. Just give me the weight or mass of the food, ffs. Bananas can differ in size by 300%. Melons can be small or large. None of it is helpful. And, it's impossible to limit oneself to the recommended daily allowance of calories and eat all the "portions" of the various food groups they recommend. It's a mess.
Mondegreen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Apr 02, 2014 2:58 pm

Fuck it, just eat till you're full and don't eat more than that. If you finish your plate and want more, wait 20 minutes and if you're still hungry have a bit more.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Alan B » Apr 02, 2014 4:01 pm

Mondegreen wrote:I have the same complaint about the system over here in the States. Just give me the weight or mass of the food, ffs. Bananas can differ in size by 300%. Melons can be small or large. None of it is helpful. And, it's impossible to limit oneself to the recommended daily allowance of calories and eat all the "portions" of the various food groups they recommend. It's a mess.

I agree. In the 'developed' countries (where most over-eating seems to take place), kitchen scales are easily accessible so there no excuse in not defining a 'portion' by weight.
But as mentioned earlier, what is one 'portion' for one person may well be too much or not enough for another.
The food standards agencies need to pull their finger out on this one. The problem is, I feel, is that many of these agencies are 'in the pockets' of the food & drink industry since the industry seems to get asked for theirs views when, for instance, any change in labelling is suggested. If the food standards agencies say 'Jump' then the food & drink industry should 'Jump'.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Mondegreen » Apr 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Labeling, to me, seems like mostly an exercise in futility. Other than a label disclosing the manufacturer, grower or distributor, labeling efforts have done exactly nothing to improve food safety or to curb obesity. Somehow people were able to to not be obese when most things were unlabeled. Now, everything has a label, and obesity is rampant.
Mondegreen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Nicko wrote:Quite obviously, a "portion" is less than "too much" and more than "not enough".

Sometimes I worry about you people.

Can you spare some worry for the people who tell us to eat so many "portions" without specifying what a "portion" is?
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Ironclad » Apr 02, 2014 8:15 pm

5-a-day was the Gov health mantra, now the Aussie boffins are saying 7-a-day. Me, I think this is a vegetarian conspiracy.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#19  Postby orpheus » Apr 02, 2014 8:30 pm

ED209 wrote:I think I heard by 'portion' they mean 80g.
Why don't they just fucking say 80g then :dunno:

And measuring by weight is pretty useless to begin with. Unless I'm mistaken, fat is pretty light per unit volume. 500g of apples is one thing. 500g of potato chips (crisps to you Brits!) is ridiculous.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby DougC » Apr 02, 2014 10:03 pm

If its 50 years of salad, or 20 years of steak, pass the barbacue sauce.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion