When Will The New Forum Appear? Pt 2

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: When Will The New Forum Appear? Pt 2

#41  Postby lordpasternack » May 17, 2010 11:46 am

One perhaps interesting thing I appear to have noticed is that Paula Kirby - an ally of Richard's mentioned earlier in the thread - appears to be non-existent on the new site. Her member number on the original site is 29489 - which of course I had to go through the forum interface to find - and I thought I'd do my nosy to see if she was saying anything on the new site, and found that nothing is showing up for what should be her comments and profile. I tried it with a few other members and it was fine with them. I'm sure Paula will be vastly excited by these changes…

I also tried doing my nosy on Jan/Topsy - but she's either changed her name or been deleted over there… :coffee:
lordpasternack

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Emmeline » May 17, 2010 11:48 am

lordpasternack wrote:One perhaps interesting thing I appear to have noticed is that Paula Kirby - an ally of Richard's mentioned earlier in the thread - appears to be non-existent on the new site. Her member number on the original site is 29489 - which of course I had to go through the forum interface to find - and I thought I'd do my nosy to see if she was saying anything on the new site, and found that nothing is showing up for what should be her comments and profile. I tried it with a few other members and it was fine with them. I'm sure Paula will be vastly excited by these changes…

I also tried doing my nosy on Jan/Topsy - but she's either changed her name or been deleted over there… :coffee:

I'm /Jan over there (Jan was taken). I just had my name changed rather than start a new account.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#43  Postby lordpasternack » May 17, 2010 11:49 am

Okay, thanks… stalky, stalky… :lol:
lordpasternack

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Emmeline » May 17, 2010 12:04 pm

lordpasternack wrote:One perhaps interesting thing I appear to have noticed is that Paula Kirby - an ally of Richard's mentioned earlier in the thread - appears to be non-existent on the new site. Her member number on the original site is 29489 - which of course I had to go through the forum interface to find - and I thought I'd do my nosy to see if she was saying anything on the new site, and found that nothing is showing up for what should be her comments and profile. I tried it with a few other members and it was fine with them. I'm sure Paula will be vastly excited by these changes…

Here's Paula:
http://richarddawkins.net/profiles/14311
Emmeline

Print view this post

#45  Postby lordpasternack » May 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Jan wrote:

Here's Paula:

Shapeshifter! :what:

Edit: Okay, she actually appears to have two profiles on the old forum: One under Northern Bright, and one in her real name, and the former is the one linked to her front page account, which is in her real name, and my head's spinning a little, and this really doesn't deserve the attention I've afforded it… I really should be cramming for my Microbiology exam tomorrow…
lordpasternack

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#46  Postby pensioner » May 17, 2010 12:50 pm

lordpasternack wrote:
Jan wrote:

Here's Paula:

Shapeshifter! :what:

Edit: Okay, she actually appears to have two profiles on the old forum: One under Northern Bright, and one in her real name, and the former is the one linked to her front page account, which is in her real name, and my head's spinning a little, and this really doesn't deserve the attention I've afforded it… I really should be cramming for my Microbiology exam tomorrow…

Best of luck with the exam, I remember when you first joined RDF, young and pure a little angel. :lol: :thumbup:
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby lordpasternack » May 17, 2010 1:09 pm

I was definitely younger and more naive - but I don't know about "pure" or in any way angelic. ;)

The forum did change my thinking and the course of my life quite significantly - I must say. I wonder where I'd be now if it weren't for the various events that have flowed from my involvement in that place… All the people I wouldn't likely have met, the places I might not have visited, the thoughts I might not have had, the things I might not have tried, the bodily fluids I might not have exchanged…
lordpasternack

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#48  Postby theidiot » May 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Did they get rid of the old forum archive? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and my bookmark links tell me the page doesn't exist?
theidiot

Print view this post

#49  Postby Mr.Samsa » May 17, 2010 1:35 pm

theidiot wrote:Did they get rid of the old forum archive? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and my bookmark links tell me the page doesn't exist?

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/ :cheers:
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#50  Postby theidiot » May 17, 2010 1:38 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:
theidiot wrote:Did they get rid of the old forum archive? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and my bookmark links tell me the page doesn't exist?

DId he just get rid of links to it from the main site?
theidiot

Print view this post

Re: When will the new forum appear?.

#51  Postby ConnyRaSk » May 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Jan wrote:The new website appears to be permitting threads discussing the new website (again) but that might apply to just those that mostly praise it.
http://richarddawkins.net/discussions/4 ... aying-this

:plot: :shhh: :shifty:
Literature, fiction, poetry, whatever, makes justice in the world. That’s why it almost always has to be on the side of the underdog. ~Grace Paley
ConnyRaSk

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Mr.Samsa » May 18, 2010 2:11 am

theidiot wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

I imagine so. He can't have ruffians and scallywags like us polluting his new forum discussion area for the promotion of death to the delusional, I mean atheism, uh.. science and reason (as long as it includes insulting the religious and not participating in science discussions).
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#53  Postby THWOTH » May 18, 2010 8:36 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
theidiot wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

I imagine so. He can't have ruffians and scallywags like us polluting his new forum discussion area for the promotion of death to the delusional, I mean atheism, uh.. science and reason (as long as it includes insulting the religious and not participating in science discussions).

No no no. That would be far too boring. The Guardians of Discourse must be entertained to be appeased in the manner of the Greek gods.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#54  Postby OlivierK » May 18, 2010 8:58 am

theidiot wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Apparently they're coming "soon". You don't expect them to have finalised their navigation structure only two weeks after release, do you? [/snark]
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#55  Postby THWOTH » May 18, 2010 9:12 am

[aside]

I'm amazed that this whinge-thread has got to part 2, and even more so that I'm still contributing to it!
[/aside]
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: When will the new forum appear?.

#56  Postby kiki5711 » May 18, 2010 9:28 am

THWOTH wrote:
Jan wrote:The new website appears to be permitting threads discussing the new website (again) but that might apply to just those that mostly praise it.
http://richarddawkins.net/discussions/4 ... aying-this

Smells funny. :sniff:

I know!

The reason I like it is as follows:

* I like the fact that the forum isn't 'hidden' any more (one of the main reasons I didn't go to it)
* I like being able to see what I want to read from different sources
* I like the being able to determine easily what I want to comment on
* I like the simplicity of the site layout
* I like that the admins are listening to everyone for more input

WTF?????? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

who is this idiot????
kiki5711

Print view this post

#57  Postby kiki5711 » May 18, 2010 9:32 am

THWOTH wrote:[aside]

I'm amazed that this whinge-thread has got to part 2, and even more so that I'm still contributing to it!
[/aside]

Yea, me too.We've been dumped, ditched, lied to, cheated on. I think it's time we realize this relationship is dead, and it's time to move on. :what: :what: :confused: :confused: :ask: :ask:
kiki5711

Print view this post

#58  Postby Animavore » May 18, 2010 9:33 am

Has the amount of hits Dawkins' site gets dropped since it changed and how would I find out things like that anyway?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#59  Postby OlivierK » May 18, 2010 9:34 am

@ THWOTH:

Ha, yeah, I agree.

But the thing that fascinated me as an outsider was the rather spectacular degree they got things wrong with the forum closure announcement. Two and a half months later and they're still getting things spectacularly wrong (and have moved from mere sociopathic rudeness to fucking up in an(other) area of interest to me - user-centred design - to boot), and so I'm still morbidly fascinated.

:popcorn:

But I can feel the interest slipping away, especially since my lovely wife has recently purchased DVDs of all the old series of Callan. There's enough entertaining misanthropy there to make the RDF crew quite redundant.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#60  Postby j.mills » May 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Animavore, check rd.net's traffic stats to your heart's content here on alexa. Over recent months, hits, pageviews, pageviews per user, internet ranking, time on site - all are down, though with some recovery in the last month, presumably as everyone takes a gander at the new look. 'Bounce' has gone up - that's users whose visit consists of a single pageview - as has the percentage of users arriving from a search engine.

2.9% of visitors are from Saudi Arabia. Go figure.
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion