Where multi-culturalism works

Toronto ...safe and diverse ....Canada..a mosaic

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Where multi-culturalism works

#41  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 1:05 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:So reading articles about the raping of young girls by muslim gangs is proof of the success.

It is not proof of failure either Scot, nor of it being a cultural issue, given there are plenty of examples throughout my lifetime of indigenous, English nationals, committing similar horrific crimes.

Multiculturalism =/= an end to people committing crimes.

Yes of course you declare it is a success so therefore it is. :nono:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Animavore » Jan 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Multiculturalism seems to work in Ireland. There are racist incidents, but they tend to be uniformly condemned. It's hard to know because there's no good research on it. But just from what I'm seeing around me black's and whites hanging out together. Black teens with Irish accents and talking the lingo. No obvious sign a it's a black person speaking if you heard one speaking behind you. I see no signs of a sub-culture with their own lingo either.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Yes of course you declare it is a success so therefore it is. :nono:

Your view of multiculturalism in the UK appears to be stuck in the 1960s and 1970s. Times have changed.

I think it is. We have, in the UK, people from all different cultures, living peaceably side by side and people absorbing those cultures and adapting to each others cultures as suits. No one is being oppressed. No one is being told they cannot have their culture.

Just down the road from me is the second largest retailer of craft ales in Leeds. It is run by a local Indian Sikh family. They're well liked and well known by the locals. Never mind all the Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani, African, Middle-Eastern and other eateries from different cultures that we have in Leeds that do very well are championed and supported by the local populace.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 1:12 pm

Animavore wrote:Multiculturalism seems to work in Ireland. There are racist incidents, but they tend to be uniformly condemned. It's hard to know because there's no good research on it. But just from what I'm seeing around me black's and whites hanging out together. Black teens with Irish accents and talking the lingo. No obvious sign a it's a black person speaking if you heard one speaking behind you. I see no signs of a sub-culture with their own lingo either.

In western Ireland seeing a black person is a rarity. My wife's small town is having to take 77 refugees. The opposition is massive. Nobody wants them.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 1:17 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Yes of course you declare it is a success so therefore it is. :nono:

Your view of multiculturalism in the UK appears to be stuck in the 1960s and 1970s. Times have changed.

I think it is. We have, in the UK, people from all different cultures, living peaceably side by side and people absorbing those cultures and adapting to each others cultures as suits. No one is being oppressed. No one is being told they cannot have their culture.

Just down the road from me is the second largest retailer of craft ales in Leeds. It is run by a local Indian Sikh family. They're well liked and well known by the locals. Never mind all the Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani, African, Middle-Eastern and other eateries from different cultures that we have in Leeds that do very well are championed and supported by the local populace.

So all of a sudden anecdotes are evidence. In this apartment block to which I am the chair of the owners committee we have a roughly 10 nationalities. I would not call it multicultural as everyone speaks Dutch and follows Dutch culture in respect to apartment blocks.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 1:21 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:So all of a sudden anecdotes are evidence.

I'm just citing what is going on in Leeds, right now.
Of course as mere "anecdote" it would be totally impossible for anyone to come and verify what I say is accurate or not.

:coffee:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 1:24 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:So all of a sudden anecdotes are evidence.

I'm just citing what is going on in Leeds, right now.
Of course as mere "anecdote" it would be totally impossible for anyone to come and verify what I say is accurate or not.

How about Rochdale then?

From my earlier link:
Rob Potts, assistant chief constable at Greater Manchester police, said: “This case is another that has been launched by Operation Doublet, an investigation into child sexual exploitation (CSE) that arose following the 2011 investigation into CSE in Rochdale.

How many are going to come in that lovely multicultural society?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
How about Rochdale then?

I don't live in Rochdale.

Scot Dutchy wrote:How many are going to come in that lovely multicultural society?

As I said in my earlier post.

It is not proof of failure either Scot, nor of it being a cultural issue, given there are plenty of examples throughout my lifetime of indigenous, English nationals, committing similar horrific crimes.

Multiculturalism =/= an end to people committing crimes.

To put it another way.

citing specific examples of people breaking the law =/= failure of multiculturalism.

The vaaaaaast majority of people from other countries who live in the UK do not break the law in this way.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#49  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 1:59 pm

So having 380,000 women who cant speak English is ok. Or gang after gang of muslims being arrested for sexual assaults is not a sign of a society failing?

When for you will mark the failure point? A revolution or so?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 2:10 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:So having 380,000 women who cant speak English is ok.

Can you point to where I said that it was?

Scot Dutchy wrote: Or gang after gang of muslims being arrested for sexual assaults is not a sign of a society failing?

Is it a sign of a failing society? last time I checked, the majority of Muslims did not commit sexual assaults.

I mean we've had plenty of white English nationals committing sexual assaults over the decades. Was society failing then? I don't believe it was.

Did global society fail when the world's largest paedophile ring was busted in 2011? A ring that wasn't run by muslims or even majority composed of muslims?

Scot Dutchy wrote:When for you will mark the failure point?

I don't set the bar for failure so ridiculously low as you do. But, that's kind of expected from someone whose understanding of life in the UK that is 30 to 40 years out of date.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#51  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 2:15 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:So having 380,000 women who cant speak English is ok.

Can you point to where I said that it was?

Scot Dutchy wrote: Or gang after gang of muslims being arrested for sexual assaults is not a sign of a society failing?

Is it a sign of a failing society? last time I checked, the majority of Muslims did not commit sexual assaults.

I mean we've had plenty of white English nationals committing sexual assaults over the decades. Was society failing then? I don't believe it was.

Did global society fail when the world's largest paedophile ring was busted in 2011? A ring that wasn't run by muslims or even majority composed of muslims?

Scot Dutchy wrote:When for you will mark the failure point?

I don't set the bar for failure so ridiculously low as you do. But, that's kind of expected from someone whose understanding of life in the UK that is 30 to 40 years out of date.

Everytime I have been in Britain it never seems to change much. The major difference is the increased aggression but I think that is from living here where there is very little.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#52  Postby OlivierK » Jan 18, 2016 2:24 pm

How are you measuring that? By using a proxy like the 20 year falling trend in violent crime:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/resources/fig ... 273046.png

Or by an increase in people telling you personally to fuck off?
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 2:29 pm

A graph that says nothing. What else should we expect?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:A graph that says nothing. What else should we expect?

What the graphs says is pretty clear.
Can you not read the graph Scot? Do you want some help in understanding it. Ok I'll do what I can to help.

What the graph illustrates, quite clearly, is that violent crime is on the decline in the UK and has been for some time.

Now if you mean something by "increased aggression" other than violent crime, you're going to have to be more specific.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#55  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Jan 20, 2016 1:11 pm

If multiculturalism means a wide assortment of ethnic restaurants, then I'm all for it.

Of course there are some parts of some cultures that cannot be tolerated. I think it's not very complicated, it just comes down to live and let live; people who live in any society have to be willing to accept other members of that society and respect their common basic rights. So if any part of any culture calls for discriminating or persecuting other members of that society, that is unacceptable.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#56  Postby pinkharrier » Jan 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Lots of different restaurants in Tokyo but you won,t find them embracing MC. They use that old fashioned method of checking how successful it is. They ask the original inhabitants of an area how they like "vibrant diversity". That,s all they need to know.
I'm a rational skeptic. Touch wood.
pinkharrier

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Macdoc » Jan 20, 2016 10:07 pm

RIdiculous comparison ....the thread is about where multiculturalism works. Japan is perhaps the least m/c nation on the planet as they do not allow immigration...stick to the topic at hand.
Restaurants are only one benefit amongst many having a diverse and peaceful community which some people can't figure out how to make work.
That generally is a problem with bigoted stakeholders. See Donald Trump et al.

Arjan...good post.

So if any part of any culture calls for discriminating or persecuting other members of that society, that is unacceptable.

and the corollary to that is both unacceptable and needs to be acted on to correct.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#58  Postby pinkharrier » Jan 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Actually the only way of checking the success of MC is to ask those who were there to begin with. Otherwise it is a case of a successful operation on a patient who died.

If you don,t think asking those who were there at the start is a valid check, why not?
pinkharrier

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Macdoc » Jan 24, 2016 9:26 am

This is the kind of evaluation and improvement that is required for multiple cultures - defocus on the Rudyard Kipling crap...

Ontario lauded for high school history curriculum
Required Grade 10 history and civics classes earn province a higher rating than others.

The Oka crisis is among the many important events in 20th century history that Ontario teachers say they have difficulty cramming into the one-year Canadian history course, which is mandatory for all students.VIEW 2 PHOTOSzoom
SHANEY KOMULAINEN / THE CANADIAN PRESS

The Oka crisis is among the many important events in 20th century history that Ontario teachers say they have difficulty cramming into the one-year Canadian history course, which is mandatory for all students.

By: Louise Brown GTA, Published on Sat Jan 23 2016

Ontario stands at the top of the class for its strong Canadian history curriculum in the latest ratings by this country’s history education watchdog — and we trounced Alberta, whose fuzzy timelines and lack of compulsory high school history credit landed it dead last.
Ontario’s rich Grade 10 history credit course — so jam-packed the report suggests it be spread over two years — plus its mandatory half-course in citizenship helped earn it a mark of 82 per cent on the Canadian History Report Card, to be released Monday by Historica Canada, a group that promotes awareness of Canadian history.
Also strong were British Columbia (81 per cent), Quebec (80) and Manitoba (80). However Alberta scored just 62 per cent, and Saskatchewan 69 per cent, in a report that calls for schools to work harder to help students understand their country.

“We tend to be lacking at either the front end — recent history — or the back end before 1867, but we’re getting better, which is important because understanding history helps you understand why we are the way we are,” said Historica president Anthony Wilson-Smith.
If anything, Ontario’s Grade 10 history course tries to cover too much, he said; “from the early 1900s to now — both world wars, the great influenza epidemic, the injustices done to immigrants like the Chinese who didn’t get the vote till 1947… let’s think of that scope! It would be better spread over two years.”

Canadian schools have pulled up their educational socks since 2009, when Historica’s last report card handed out failing grades to five provinces and territories, with two more squeaking by with only 50s.

This report card looked at history curriculum from Grades 4 to 12 to see how well it balances the teaching of timelines with deeper themes like diversity, gender, aboriginal peoples and national identity — and from a range of perspectives, from global to local, social to national.

It also measures how well each province teaches students to think about history using the six “historical thinking concepts” that have to do with historical significance, considering evidence, examining continuity and change, cause and consequence, looking at broader historical perspectives and the ethical dimension.

Wilson-Smith said Canadian schools are moving beyond the perspective of European settlers to include First Nations, women and non-European immigrants’ perspectives, and consider more than just military and economic milestones by discussing ethics and social responsibility.

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/educ ... culum.html

more
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#60  Postby pinkharrier » Jan 24, 2016 11:27 am

It seems that multiculturalism will succeed everywhere if the reaction by those there to begin with is "Kipling crap". Somebody mentioned a small village in Ireland where 77 refugees are about to arrive. I can't imagine the reaction would have been much different had it a small village in Ontario. I guess if you redefine success to be something that suits you, and objection as "Kipling crap", you'll see a radiant future wherever you want.
pinkharrier

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion