Why does American beer suck so much?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Why does American beer suck so much?

#1  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 31, 2010 4:28 am

Well, with few exceptions like Shiner, it does.

Sorry, it does.

It's awful.

Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller High Life, Michelob, Keystone, Pabst, Coors, .38 Special, Miller Light, Old Milwaukee, Old Milwaukee Light, Sam Adams, etc.

It's all shit. Really, it is.

But WHY?

I've seen multiple people pass up a Guinness, a Harp, a Bass, a Heineken, an Amstel, a Newcastle, a Smithwicks, or a Grolsch for a Miller.

It's horse piss.

What do you drink and why?
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Why does American beer suck so much?

#2  Postby keypad5 » Aug 31, 2010 4:54 am

To be honest, I don't think I've tried a USA beer. :coffee:

Why would I, when I live in Australia and we have many great* brews? :drunk:

*And many crap brews. :yuk: :puke:

ETA: And we get many great imports from Asia, South/Central America and Europe. :cheers:
keypad5

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Callan » Aug 31, 2010 5:08 am

There are many fantastic micro-breweries operating in the States, and a lot of interesting work being done, but as you say, 914, they are the exception rather than the rule.

I've no idea why people drink gnat's piss when other, finer brews are readily available. Perhaps it's the same impulse that drives folks to eat at Macdonald's when they have a whole city's worth of excellent restaurants to choose from? It has a lot to do with the comfort of familiarity, I think - just simply being afraid of trying something new because there's a chance you might not like it.

Wussies! :lol:

They don't know what they're missing, and that's fine by me - all the more for the rest of us!
:beercheers:
The banana is. I will eat the banana. There is no banana. I want another banana.
Callan

Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mononoke » Aug 31, 2010 5:11 am

You chaps obviously haven't tried the smaller new england breweries. Like Magic Hat, dogfish head, smuttynose & harpoon. I like Sam Adams, BTW. Their boston lager is nice
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mononoke » Aug 31, 2010 5:14 am

Callan wrote:
I've no idea why people drink gnat's piss when other, finer brews are readily available.

They're cheap. A 30 pack of keystone lite was something like 13 dollars in 2008
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Callan » Aug 31, 2010 5:19 am

Mononoke wrote:
Callan wrote:
I've no idea why people drink gnat's piss when other, finer brews are readily available.

I've always been a "quality over quantity" kind of girl.

Beer, chocolate...other stuff....
:evilgrin:
The banana is. I will eat the banana. There is no banana. I want another banana.
Callan

Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Seabass » Aug 31, 2010 5:39 am

NineOneFour wrote:Well, with few exceptions like Shiner, it does.

Sorry, it does.

It's awful.

Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller High Life, Michelob, Keystone, Pabst, Coors, .38 Special, Miller Light, Old Milwaukee, Old Milwaukee Light, Sam Adams, etc.

It's all shit. Really, it is.

But WHY?

I've seen multiple people pass up a Guinness, a Harp, a Bass, a Heineken, an Amstel, a Newcastle, a Smithwicks, or a Grolsch for a Miller.

It's horse piss.

What do you drink and why?

Dude, you really need to get out of Texas. Go to any bar in Washington or Oregon, and you'll be faced with rows upon rows of delicious American beers.

American beers were shitty for a few decades after WWII; had something to do with rationing for the war and keeping American soldiers from getting too shit faced. I'm sure you can find it with a little googling. Hasn't been that way since the 80s I think.

Incidentally, a buddy of mine that moved out to California from Texas absolutely loves Bud Light. Bud Light in a can. Won't drink anything else. It's the weirdest fuckin' thing I've ever seen. I once spent a week in Conroe and Houston; it was over a decade ago, but one of the things that stuck out to me was the shitty beer selection. I swear, everything just seems to be a little..... off... in Texas. The BBQ was magnificent though.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#8  Postby z8000783 » Aug 31, 2010 5:46 am

Doesn't matter what it's like when it's all 4 degrees below freezing, you can't taste in anyway.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Mononoke » Aug 31, 2010 6:00 am

Callan wrote:
Mononoke wrote:
Callan wrote:

I've always been a "quality over quantity" kind of girl.

Beer, chocolate...other stuff....
:evilgrin:

Quality is something you have to sacrifice when you are a poor college student who has to throw a party for about 200 people.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Aug 31, 2010 6:44 am

Most beer readily available in Washington and Oregon is pretty bad. Not to the same extent as elsewhere in the States but the majorit isn't good and the good stuff isn't terrific. Great beer is by no means a common occurence in Washington or Oregon. It just isn't readily available in the States, even in the States which better represent beer than others.

Beer enthusiasm is pretty prevalent in the Pacific Northwest (hence why more decent beer is available in Washington and Oregon than elsewhere in the States) and Canadian beer in general isn't terrible so good beer is readily available to me. I spend too much money on it as I don't drink crappy beer. It's one of the few dietary indugelnces I allow myself though and I so enjoy good beer. Most local beer isn't great though. It's not bad to the same extent as a lot of American beer but it's not awesome either. I'm just glad good stuff is readily available to me, if at an inlated price.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Weaver » Aug 31, 2010 6:47 am

As others have said, there are a large number of really high-quality "micro-breweries" - some of them quite large.

The classic domestic stuff though - to steal a line from Monty Python, US "domestic" beer is like having sex in a canoe.

It's fucking close to water.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Gallstones » Aug 31, 2010 6:49 am

I am not in the least bit unhappy with what I can get, and I have many to choose from. Most are seasonal and so they change. I like that too.

Deschutes out of Oregon has many good beers.

A person can make their own.
Last edited by Gallstones on Aug 31, 2010 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#14  Postby tnjrp » Aug 31, 2010 6:54 am

Callan wrote:There are many fantastic micro-breweries operating in the States, and a lot of interesting work being done, but as you say, 914, they are the exception rather than the rule
Ezzachklee :drunk:

I do steer clear of the "really big brands" (even European ones) generally if there is a choice. Obviously if there is no other alcoholic alternative I'll resort to drinking "really big brand" beer tho :tongue:

z8000783 wrote:Doesn't matter what it's like when it's all 4 degrees below freezing, you can't taste in anyway
That's Aussie beer as I understand... You're supposed to drink it at slighly above the freezing point.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Mononoke » Aug 31, 2010 7:00 am

Some of my favourite beer

Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Mononoke » Aug 31, 2010 7:09 am

I also like Negra Modelo & Pacifico. These were superb for those lazy summer days when i was research assistant.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Varangian » Aug 31, 2010 7:11 am

Sam Adams is nice. All is not lost.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Mononoke » Aug 31, 2010 7:17 am

Varangian wrote:Sam Adams is nice. All is not lost.

Brooklyn lager is also a superb brewery.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby tnjrp » Aug 31, 2010 7:31 am

Forgot to mention that the only non-alcoholic beer I've ever liked was from US of A. Can't recall the brand but it was of a dark lager type and had a bull's head on the label. I might actually have to rediscover it if I caught some terrible illness and was unable to drink alcohol :mrgreen:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Weaver » Aug 31, 2010 7:33 am

tnjrp wrote:Forgot to mention that the only non-alcoholic beer I've ever liked was from US of A. Can't recall the brand but it was of a dark lager type and had a bull's head on the label. I might actually have to rediscover it if I caught some terrible illness and was unable to drink alcohol :mrgreen:

I've got that illness ...

It's called "Deployed to Afghanistan". Believe me, it sucks.

We do get Beck's NA beer - it's not bad at all, far better than the Coors piss we had in Iraq in '07-'08.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion