Can Hypnosis really cause this?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#1  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 27, 2013 9:51 am

'One of the most striking examples seen in hypnotic applications is that even a wound can appear on the skin of the hypnotized person through inculcation. For example, Paul Thorsen, a researcher, touches the arm of the person under hypnosis with a tip of a pen and tells him that it's a hot skewer. Soon, a blister (as would have been produced by a second degree burn) formed in the region where the tip of the pen touched. Thorsen also hypnotized a person called Anne O. into believing that the letter A was being drawn onto her arm by pressing hard. Although nothing else was done, redness emerged in the shape of an "A" in that area.5 Researchers H. Bourru and P. Burot, persuading a hypnotized person that his arm was being cut, saw that the arm was bleeding after being slightly drawn on by a pencil. 6''

Source: http://designanduniverse.com/articles/hypnosis.php

''It is a fact that some skin diseases can be cured by using hypnosis. On the pictures above we see the disease before being treated with hypnosis, then we see it after the person has been hypnotized and the disease has been cured.
(D. Waxman, Hypnosis, p. 113)''

The source, docstroc (with the same wording) also claims that patients hypnotized before walking on hot coal received no sign of burn injury.
Last edited by MarkgaB5 on Aug 27, 2013 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Mark
Posts: 284

Country: US
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#2  Postby zulumoose » Aug 27, 2013 9:55 am

Sounds like simple stage tricks to me. I would look up what someone like Randi has to say on the subject.
User avatar
zulumoose
 
Posts: 3627

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#3  Postby BlackBart » Aug 27, 2013 9:59 am

Oooh, I wonder how this thread is going to pan out. :roll:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12245
Age: 58
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#4  Postby Doubtdispelled » Aug 27, 2013 10:01 am

BlackBart wrote:Oooh, I wonder how this thread is going to pan break out. :roll:

In pustules, Bart, in pustules.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled
 
Posts: 11836

Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#5  Postby BlackBart » Aug 27, 2013 10:03 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:
BlackBart wrote:Oooh, I wonder how this thread is going to pan break out. :roll:

In pustules, Bart, in pustules.


:ill:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12245
Age: 58
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#6  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 27, 2013 10:04 am

That is not a very trustworthy website to be getting your info from at all.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
User avatar
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator
 
Posts: 10344
Age: 35
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#7  Postby campermon » Aug 27, 2013 10:08 am

Concentrate...

Image

Who is 'Paul Thorsen'?

Where is his research available?

Has it been replicated?
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17437
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#8  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 27, 2013 10:18 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:
BlackBart wrote:Oooh, I wonder how this thread is going to pan break out. :roll:

In pustules, Bart, in pustules.

Suppurating pustules?

Those are my favorites.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 21078
Age: 58
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#9  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 27, 2013 10:19 am

Last edited by MarkgaB5 on Aug 27, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Mark
Posts: 284

Country: US
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#10  Postby THWOTH » Aug 27, 2013 10:21 am

These claims are what we in the medical profession call a right load of bollocks.

Image
"Right load of bollocks!"
"Right load of bollocks!"
"Right load of ......"
PM me your bank account details
"....of bollocks!"
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#11  Postby Scarlett » Aug 27, 2013 10:25 am

THWOTH wrote:These claims are what we in the medical profession call a right load of bollocks.

Image
"Right load of bollocks!"
"Right load of bollocks!"
"Right load of ......"
PM me your bank account details
"....of bollocks!"


I love it when you use technical medical terms :naughty2:
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 16046

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#12  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 27, 2013 10:25 am

How? didn't you read my link? Look up ''hypnosis blisters'' and a lot of people report similar things without actual physical injury. I am asking if this is actually possible.
User avatar
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Mark
Posts: 284

Country: US
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#13  Postby Scarlett » Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am

I think you're being told 'no' :ask:
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 16046

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#14  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am

So when are you going to ask if hypnotic surgery is real? You know when the guy with the dirty as crap hands reaches into the idiots head and pulls out the chicken mince tumour and there is only a small amount of tomato sauce blood.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
User avatar
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator
 
Posts: 10344
Age: 35
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#15  Postby BlackBart » Aug 27, 2013 10:29 am

:hypno:
"Yes, a load of bollocks!"
"Yes, a load of bollocks!"
"Yes, a load of...
I'm hypnotised, not fucking stupid.
"...bollocks"
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12245
Age: 58
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#16  Postby BlackBart » Aug 27, 2013 10:38 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:So when are you going to ask if hypnotic surgery is real? You know when the guy with the dirty as crap hands reaches into the idiots head and pulls out the chicken mince tumour and there is only a small amount of tomato sauce blood.



He hasn't got to that page of http://www.random-pointless-crap-on-the-internet.com yet.

Maybe that'll be the next one up after he abandons this thread. :ask:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12245
Age: 58
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#17  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 27, 2013 10:44 am

BlackBart wrote:
DarthHelmet86 wrote:So when are you going to ask if hypnotic surgery is real? You know when the guy with the dirty as crap hands reaches into the idiots head and pulls out the chicken mince tumour and there is only a small amount of tomato sauce blood.



He hasn't got to that page of http://www.random-pointless-crap-on-the-internet.com yet.

Maybe that'll be the next one up after he abandons this thread. :ask:


Well maybe if you hypnotise me I will be able to take the this next "Is this random thing real" thread seriously. Might take a lot of hypnosis to make me not so snarky though.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
User avatar
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator
 
Posts: 10344
Age: 35
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#18  Postby BlackBart » Aug 27, 2013 10:47 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
DarthHelmet86 wrote:So when are you going to ask if hypnotic surgery is real? You know when the guy with the dirty as crap hands reaches into the idiots head and pulls out the chicken mince tumour and there is only a small amount of tomato sauce blood.



He hasn't got to that page of http://www.random-pointless-crap-on-the-internet.com yet.

Maybe that'll be the next one up after he abandons this thread. :ask:


Well maybe if you hypnotise me I will be able to take the this next "Is this random thing real" thread seriously. Might take a lot of hypnosis to make me not so snarky though.


Well they do say that hypnosis can't make you do what you don't want to do. :grin:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12245
Age: 58
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#19  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 27, 2013 11:08 am

BlackBart wrote:
DarthHelmet86 wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
DarthHelmet86 wrote:So when are you going to ask if hypnotic surgery is real? You know when the guy with the dirty as crap hands reaches into the idiots head and pulls out the chicken mince tumour and there is only a small amount of tomato sauce blood.



He hasn't got to that page of http://www.random-pointless-crap-on-the-internet.com yet.

Maybe that'll be the next one up after he abandons this thread. :ask:


Well maybe if you hypnotise me I will be able to take the this next "Is this random thing real" thread seriously. Might take a lot of hypnosis to make me not so snarky though.


Well they do say that hypnosis can't make you do what you don't want to do. :grin:


Well there goes my idea to get hypnotised and have the bloke tell me to love cleaning the house.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
User avatar
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator
 
Posts: 10344
Age: 35
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Can Hypnosis really cause this?

#20  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 27, 2013 11:20 am

Stay on topic. Go to the off-topic forum if you want to chat instead.

Discuss if this is possible (the notion of nerve transmission resulting in burn wounds or blisters) or not.
User avatar
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Mark
Posts: 284

Country: US
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest