Explanation for this 'Spontaneous Human Combustion ' case?

any debunkings?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Explanation for this 'Spontaneous Human Combustion ' case?

#21  Postby Goldenmane » Aug 08, 2013 11:43 am

MarkgaB5 wrote:Yes, search ''James Hamilton, mathematics professor Nashville'', there is an obituary dedicated to him, so he certainly did exist - additionally, a Google search for his name, + the phrase ''Spontaneous Human Combustion'' gives consistant accounts of the event on several websites.
http://www.digitalantiquaria.com/Free/C.pdf

Anyone have any explanations for the event that occurred as described? I'd really appreciate it.

It didn't.

Something may have happened, and the bloke may have reported it, but it didn't happen as described. There's your explanation.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#22  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 08, 2013 11:43 am

campermon wrote:Anecdotal evidence therefore [insert woo of choice].

[/thread]

NEWS SOURCE
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ug=1064313
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Name: Mark

Print view this post

#23  Postby kennyc » Aug 08, 2013 11:44 am

You've provide no scientific evidence, you've provide a single anecdote. You have no reason to believe this happened

and the fucking obituary has absolutely nothing to do with the so-called incident.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby kennyc » Aug 08, 2013 11:46 am

MarkgaB5 wrote:

[/thread]

NEWS SOURCE

Riiiiiight! From the link:

This started out as an April Fools' story.

It may still be.

Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 08, 2013 11:46 am

kennyc wrote:You've provide no scientific evidence, you've provide a single anecdote. You have no reason to believe this happened

and the fucking obituary has absolutely nothing to do with the so-called incident.

I know, but it adds proof this person at least existed to shy away those who cry ''fake!'' and don't give explanation. Gosh, I came here to a rational explanation other than SHC, and I'm agnostic to the idea of it - but so far the explanations dont seem to be very good, eg. gas would ignite the trousers too, and it wouldnt just be a circle of fire the size of a dime on the skin, but a cloud of fire.
Last edited by MarkgaB5 on Aug 08, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#26  Postby kennyc » Aug 08, 2013 11:48 am

MarkgaB5 wrote:
kennyc wrote:You've provide no scientific evidence, you've provide a single anecdote. You have no reason to believe this happened

I know, but it adds proof this person at least existed to shy away those who cry ''fake!'' and don't give explanation.

I direct you here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJmRbSX8Rqo
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 08, 2013 11:49 am

kennyc wrote:
MarkgaB5 wrote:

I know, but it adds proof this person at least existed to shy away those who cry ''fake!'' and don't give explanation.

Your link doesn't provide any explanation. Crying 'fake' won't make this thread any shorter.
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#28  Postby kennyc » Aug 08, 2013 11:50 am

MarkgaB5 wrote:
kennyc wrote:
MarkgaB5 wrote:

Your link doesn't provide any explanation. Crying 'fake' won't make this thread any shorter.

Please educate yourself.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 08, 2013 11:52 am

kennyc wrote:
MarkgaB5 wrote:
kennyc wrote:
MarkgaB5 wrote:

Please educate yourself.

I would like to, but first you must provide explanation to this event that is consistent with the details of the event, the whole reason I submitted this thread. If you're going to cry ''FAKE !!11ONE'' then don't even bother responding!
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#30  Postby Animavore » Aug 08, 2013 11:53 am

Ahem

Animavore wrote:
MarkgaB5 wrote:
Animavore wrote:
MarkgaB5 wrote:His trousers were not scorched...that's a mystery in itself. Only his underpants were burnt somewhat, and the burn and flame came from his left calf.

When I was a teen we used to light our farts and shoot out little flames without burning the seat of our trousers (pants). If he had a flammable substance in his pocket it may of had fumes escaping from under his trousers and leaking out above. If this caught fire it could easily burn over his trousers. The heat may then have set off the substance itself below.

As I mentioned before, his trousers were not singed, only his underpants showed signs of burning. The flame was very localized according to the account, and I don't know of any fumes that could cause a localized patch of burning - when gas or vapours ignite, it doesn't cause a localized circle of fire.

The substance itself may not of been a gas or a vapour. The fumes which came of it would've been. The actual substance could've been an oil.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#31  Postby BlackBart » Aug 08, 2013 11:55 am

MarkgaB5 wrote:Yes, search ''James Hamilton, mathematics professor Nashville'', there is an obituary dedicated to him, so he certainly did exist - additionally, a Google search for his name, + the phrase ''Spontaneous Human Combustion'' gives consistant accounts of the event on several websites.

Anyone have any explanations for the event that occurred as described? I'd really appreciate it.

The fact he existed is irrelevant. Abraham Lincoln existed but we can't conclude from that that he was a vampire hunter.
The fact that accounts on the internet are the same are also irrelevant; there is still no evidence that it actually occurred. Until you can provide such evidence - and anecotes are not evidence - then there nothing to explain.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Animavore » Aug 08, 2013 11:57 am

BlackBart wrote:

The fact he existed is irrelevant. Abraham Lincoln existed but we can't conclude from that that he was a vampire hunter.
The fact that accounts on the internet are the same are also irrelevant; there is still no evidence that it actually occurred. Until you can provide such evidence - and anecotes are not evidence - then there nothing to explain.

Doesn't mean you can't take a stab at coming up with a scenario.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#33  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 08, 2013 11:58 am

BlackBart wrote:

Well do you expect me to time-travel? I hope not. This is the only evidence I could find for an event that happened over a century ago, and facing it at value , I seek explanations for the event, so please if you're going to just argue with me then don't respond, save your breath, and go to another topic that is for you. I came here for friendly explanation only, so all posts not to do with explanations shall be flagged or ignored.A simple google search shall give you information.

A better inquiry could be, ''Can the inside of a person's leg catch aflame?''
Last edited by MarkgaB5 on Aug 08, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#34  Postby BlackBart » Aug 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Animavore wrote:
BlackBart wrote:

Why would I need to? But, hey, try this scenario; Someone made it up.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 08, 2013 12:02 pm

A better inquiry could be, ''Can the inside of a person's leg catch aflame?'' Cells make heat, so I'm wondering if its possible for muscle cells to perhaps ''overheat'' to the point combustion is reached. Muscle cells use a lot of energy and one does get the sensation of 'hotness' during physical exertion. Since one can simply feel their leg or arm and notice the heat being released, hopefully this inquiry shall draw less irrelevant argument.
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#36  Postby Animavore » Aug 08, 2013 12:04 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Animavore wrote:
BlackBart wrote:

Why would I need to? But, hey, try this scenario; Someone made it up.

You don't need to but there's no harm in taking the Mythbusters approach.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#37  Postby BlackBart » Aug 08, 2013 12:04 pm

MarkgaB5 wrote:A better inquiry could be, ''Can the inside of a person's leg catch aflame?'' Cells make heat, so I'm wondering if its possible for muscle cells to perhaps ''overheat'' to the point combustion is reached. Since one can simply feel their leg or arm and notice the heat being released, hopefully this inquiry shall draw less irrelevant argument.

Do you have any actual evidence that this has ever occurred?
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby kennyc » Aug 08, 2013 12:04 pm

MarkgaB5 wrote:
BlackBart wrote:

Well do you expect me to time-travel? I hope not. This is the only evidence I could find for an event that happened over a century ago, and facing it at value , I seek explanations for the event, so please if you're going to just argue with me then don't respond, save your breath, and go to another topic that is for you. I came here for friendly explanation only, so all posts not to do with explanations shall be flagged or ignored.A simple google search shall give you information.

No I don't expect you to time travel silly. What I expect is for you to evaluate claims by applying rational inquiry yourself before posting bullshit. This is what I provided you with a link to the Baloney Detection Kit video. If you do post anecdotes such as this and receive reasonable possible explanations - as you have been - then you should say "thank you" and consider them instead of arguing against them in support of the woo you posted.

And yes these responses have been in the best nature possible given the topic, O.P. and responses from you.
Last edited by kennyc on Aug 08, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 08, 2013 12:05 pm

BlackBart wrote:
MarkgaB5 wrote:A better inquiry could be, ''Can the inside of a person's leg catch aflame?'' Cells make heat, so I'm wondering if its possible for muscle cells to perhaps ''overheat'' to the point combustion is reached. Since one can simply feel their leg or arm and notice the heat being released, hopefully this inquiry shall draw less irrelevant argument.

Do you have any actual evidence that this has ever occurred?

No, however, one should question the possibility.
Last edited by MarkgaB5 on Aug 08, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#40  Postby campermon » Aug 08, 2013 12:05 pm

MarkgaB5 wrote:

[/thread]

NEWS SOURCE

News sources are included in the phrase 'anedoctal evidence'.

Bring forth a source with some scientific rigour; peer reviewed essential.

In the meantime enjoy this: http://skepdic.com/shc.html

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking